JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

In what way does a prayer for pardon require faith?

David calls out for God's mercy because he recognizes that God's revealed character is one of love and compassion. David's faith comes from his knowledge of God's well-known character qualities of steadfast love and compassion.

What is that faith based on?

It is based on knowing God's character and promises. David knows, from experience, God's compassion and grace, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin.

How does a person gain the faith to pray this prayer in confidence?

By having faith in God's promises and His merciful nature. David knows, based on God's mercy, unfailing love, and compassion, that

calling upon His mercy, as his sin lies exposed before Him, will hopefully restore his fellowship with his God.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to have faith that our pardon has really taken place. We are not always able to feel the relief that one gets when they are forgiven. Sometimes, there is a great weight that is lifted off our hearts when God hears our prayers and really forgives us. Our faith must be based on the fellowship that we have with God and Jesus. We need to know the words of God in the scriptures to be sure that we are forgiven. A person must really know that they are connected to God in a very positive way. They need to know that they are children of God. They need to know that Jesus is there to pass their prayers on to the Father and to intercede for us.

• 1 month later...

The way that a prayer of pardon requires faith is that you have to know that somebody is there to hear it. If you don’t believe that then what is the use of praying. That faith is based on what we can see that God is doing. We know that He hears us because of some of the things that we see in this world that could know could only come from God.

• 4 months later...

One needs to believe and have faith in the Lord God in His word and His promises.

Faith is based on the word of God and His promises and keeping a close relationship with Him.

Our past personal experiences when prayers were answered right from time we asked forgiveness from sins,the same faith based on His word and promises gives us confidence to approach God in all circumstances and every situation.

• 4 years later...

When we pray in confession we will receive an assurance of pardon from God. It is so easy to lose faith and think our prayers go unheard and unanswered. God does hear our confession, we need to have faith. God is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and we can stand before Him as clean children.

In what way does a prayer for pardon require faith? What is that faith based on? How does a person gain the faith to pray this prayer in confidence?

David was truly sorry for his adultery with Bathsheba and for murdering her husband to cover it up. He knew that his actions had hurt many people. But because David repented of those sins, God mercifully forgave him. No sin is too great to be forgiven. When don't have faith you feel that you could never come close to God because you have done something terrible. God can and will forgive you of any sin. While God forgives us, however, he does not always erase the natural consequences of our sin.

Therefore, since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/26/2005 at 6:29 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. In what way does a prayer for pardon require faith? What is that faith based on? How does a person gain the faith to pray this prayer in confidence?

We need to believe that God is willing to pardon.

The faith is based on the Character and attributes of God. 

We gain faith by reading and meditating on the Word of God.

• 3 months later...

In what way does a prayer for pardon require faith?

Without faith in God’s compassion, we would simply be wishing and hoping. With faith, we know God is compassionate and merciful, so we sincerely ask for pardon.

What is that faith based on?

Faith is based on the knowledge of God as is written in His Holy Word.

How does a person gain the faith to pray this prayer in confidence?

We gain faith through Bible study, meditation on His Word and asking Him to make His message clear to us.

• 5 months later...

Q1a.  A Prayer for Pardon is a deep faith prayer as the person has all confidence in God that his / her prayer will be heard. The person is in totally acceptance of guilt and willing surrender his / her fate to God knowing fully that chastisement may be the punishment. Still the person knowingly prays with steadfast faith preferring that and be forgiven than endure living outside of a relationship with God.This prayer is one of total trust in God,a firm belief in his mercy and a steadfast hope in God's grace. 

Q1b.  The faith in a Prayer of Pardon is based on  an intimate relationship with God through a deep personal knowledge of knowing by belief God's character. The person has all assurance that God is..as God is. Just and compassionate. Merciful in loving kindness and forgiving our trespasses when seeking one  seek His forgiveness. 

Q1c.  A person gains this confidence by having a deep personal daily spiritual relationship with God through the  reading and living the Word. One has to have fervent pray life.The Christian way must be seen by and in the character of the person's life. Church fellowship  must be an essential part along with individual worship activities. When a person lives and leads a Holy Spirit empowered life one gains this attribute to pray with this faith.

• 1 year later...
On 9/26/2005 at 9:29 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. In what way does a prayer for pardon require faith? What is that faith based on? How does a person gain the faith to pray this prayer in confidence?

A prayer for pardon requires faith because I have to believe that God will not only pardon my sins, but I can move on knowing that I am forgiven and live in freedom. 

The faith is based on knowing that God is God and He is my Father who is full of compassion and empathy. 

A person gains faith to pray this prayer in confidence by knowing the Father. By reading His word and understanding who He is. We can't believe or have faith in God if we never engage with Him or don't know Him through His word. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/26/2005 at 11:29 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. By actually being a living sacrifice, keeping in view God’s mercy, to offer my body body as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to Him for this is my true and proper, yes spiritual act of worship. By not conforming to the pattern of this world, but being transformed by the renewing of my mind, so I am enabled to test and approve what Abba’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Also by not thinking of myself more highly than I ought, but rather with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to me. Romans 12:1-3 I humble myself before Abba dearest, reach out with my whole being, trusting in the wonderful knowledge of who he is. Gracious, kind, loving, merciful, forgiving, wise and my instructor going forward.

2. My increasing knowledge as I grow as a Christian to know God. This was Jesus prayer for us all: ‘Now this is eternal life, that they may know you, the only true God and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.’ John 17:3 I will not have faith in a God who I don’t know.

3. Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ Romans 20:17 Also to pray for the gift of faith 1 Corinthians12:9a

If someone is asked for pardon, the bottom line is that the asked has a character worthy of being asked that question and the assumption that the asked may actually pardon. Faith is that understanding of the character of God and how He has acted through history. 

• Knowing God. [So many verses, but Psalm 18 reveals a lot of His character on this theme]
  • Knowing what Jesus did on the cross. [Colossians 2:13-15]
  • Knowing the Word of God gives me the assurance that God forgives.  [1John 1:9, Hebrews 4:14-16]

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q1. Prayer for Pardon
  • 1 month later...

We need faith to believe there is a God, that he is good, that he loves us and desires to save us from our wrongs. We need faith to peep from under the despair of defeat and accept loving mercy and start afresh in a new life each day. We need faith to believe God has power to change us and overcome our sin.

Faith is based on hearing the word of God usually first spoken by God's people around us and seeing it lived by them. It is based on the most excellent God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.