JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. A Broken and Contrite Spirit

To realize how spiritually bankrupt we are, and how unable we are to do anything that would please Him, without a true committment and obedience to His commands and ways.

Because God is not concerned with outward showings of sadness, or religious tradition, or animal sacrifices; He desires, He will accept nothing but true inward acknowledgement, and repentance.

Because we often are unwilling to admit our transgressions, especially against Him. We do not want to feel bad, or guilty. We would rather sink further into denial than to accept we have sinned against our Father, and we would rather not turn in another direction because we feel comfortable right where we are.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. What does it mean to have a broken heart and spirit? Why is this essential in the prayer for pardon? In what sense is this a "sacrifice"? Why do we tend to resist a "broken and contrite heart" in ourselves?

To know that you have sinned against the Lord and the fact that He may take his Holy Spirit away from us. By have a broken heart and spirit it keeps us humble to the grace of God. It is a sacrifice becuase we are giving up our inermost being. We don't want to feel guilty so we pretend or resist the fact.

To have a broken heart and spirit, one must be truly sorry for their sin. Not just upset about being "found out", but truly repentant, and ready to turn away from that sin. It is a sacrifice, because we are giving up our selfishness to God. We tend to resist a broken heart, maybe because we haven't ever really experienced one, even at the time of salvation, or maybe we are still trying to excuse our behaviour. I am guilty of that, and not proud of it. I want a heart after Gods own....

What does it mean to have a broken heart and spirit.

I had to look up in the dictionary for a way to put into words broken heart. They have a definition for brokenhearted that I guess is as good as any: adj. suffering from great sorrow or disappointment.

Why is this essential in the prayer for pardon?

Its acknowledging before God the great suffering we have caused Him and our sorrow for it.

In what sense is this sacrifice?

It is the sacrifice of feeling great agony when we would rather resist because we are truly selfish.

Why do we tend to resist a broken and contrite heart in ourselves?

To protect ourselves, at His expense, from great pain.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

1. The heart we had before salvation msut be broken down. The spirit must be guided by the Holy Spirit. We are a spirit being. Our guidance must not come from our own intellect. These barriers become broken when like David we hurt because that we have done wrong. That wrong being against the God who is always helping us in a forward direction. David was not sorrowful that he got caught or was facing punishment, he hurt because of what he did to God. Repentance and turning away from sin would be impossible without this.

2. How can we be pardoned or accept the need for pardon without the brokeness. Without brokeness we don't truly see the need nor will we accept a pardon.

3. A sacrifice of control and the belief that we aren't that bad. We have bought a brand new ultimate luxary car and without driving it, the keys are handed over to God and He does the driving.

4. Control. We aren't that bad. We think we can drive that car just fine until we wreck and maybe total it. We tend to think we don't do too bad and that our sins are too minor to be concerned about. How soon we forget that sin is sin and the penalty for sin is death.

I was fornunate enough to work in law enforcement for a time. I believe the one thing that kept me from a multitude fights with bandits was one thing: They did wrong things and I did wrong things. Their wrongs were not worse than mine, just different.

What does it mean to have a broken heart and spirit?Why is this essential in the prayer of pardon?In what sense is this a sacrifice?Why do we tend to resist a broken and contrite heart within ourselves?

1. I often use the analogy of a wild horse roaming on the plains. A wild horse

does not serve a purpose to man, until it is captured and after many efforts

to ride it, it finally gives in to the purpose man intends for it. We cannot really

function to serve the purposes of God until, we too, have come to a place of

brokenness, and with a humble heart cry out to God, "Here I am Lord, What

will you have me to do".

2. This is essential in the prayer of pardon because then we will be open

to please God rather than be self-pleasing. Then we know that we were

created for God's purpose , not our own.

3. This is a sacrifice, because you have put away all your worldly desires and

have given your life to serve the living God, because you now realize that your life is not your own, for you have been bought with a price.

4. We tend to resist a broken and contrite heart because of the ongoing struggle between the flesh and spirit. We have not come to that place of

letting go and letting God have his way in our lives. We also struggle with

giving over to God complete control as the flesh wants to gain the upper hand.

What does it mean to have a broken heart and spirit? Why is this essential in the prayer for pardon? In what sense is this a "sacrifice"? Why do we tend to resist a "broken and contrite heart" in ourselves?

To have a "broken heart and spirit" shows we have truely reached the point of true repentence. If we want God to pardon us, this is where we have to get to. This is a "sacrifice" in the sense that we are finally at a point to give everything to God, to let God be in control. We resist this point often times because we are not willing to give up controll to God.

To have a broken heart and spirit means to have the heart and the spirit of the Lord. To have your heart broken by what you have done, and honestly repent and ask forgiveness. To change inside, not just on the outside. It is essential to feel this way because God knows the true hearts of men. You cannot be forgiven if God doesn't feel that you are worthy of his forgiveness. So, I guess that is how it is a sacrifice, you are giving up your will, and receiving his .

Q4. What does it mean to have a broken heart and spirit? Why is

this essential in the prayer for pardon? In what sense is this a

"sacrifice"? Why do we tend to resist a "broken and contrite

heart" in ourselves?

What does it mean to have a broken heart and spirit?

To me it means we know we have sinned are relationship with Jesus has been broken. Our spirit being broken should show us the only thing to do is repent so the broken relationship with Jesus can be fixed. :(

We have to ask forgiveness an truly be sorry so that are relationsip can be fixed.

what sense is this a "sacrifice"? Why do we tend to resist a "broken and contrite heart" in ourselves?

Becuase we don't like to admit we don't wrong. :(

what does it mean to have a broken and contrie spirit is to admit that we are wrong and ask God to forgive us. Why was this important it was to show that we put our pride aside and really seek god's forgiveness then we have a broken and contrite spirit. Why is it that we tend to resist the broken heart and spirit? It can be that we are hardheaded and stubborn to accept God's offer and our own inner being.

Q4. What does it mean to have a broken heart and spirit? Why is this essential in the prayer for pardon? In what sense is this a "sacrifice"? Why do we tend to resist a "broken and contrite heart" in ourselves?

To have a broken heart and spirit to me means that we are grieved about the sin that has separated us from the Father. To have experience this brokenness when we're praying is essential, I think, because God sees that we have an inkling of what He feels when we sin against Him. His pain is felt on a larger scale. Having a broken and contrite heart allows us to offer a true sacrifice, which involves a genuine repentance. If we are truly sorry I think we resist feeling broken and contrite because we don't want to face the reality of the consequences of our sins. I also believe that most of us are too busy committing the sins that make us "feel good" to even care about feeling sorry.

To have a broken heart means you are physically and emotionally just torn up with sin in our life.You become aware of the devine presence of God.You want to be pure and clean "restored"so you can have a relationship with God.We are presenting ouself to God "as a sacrifice"our soul,our being,our sinful life,because we are broken and sorry for our sins,we want to give it all to God.We can give our sins to God because of Jesus.Your sins are forgiven because of God,s precious Son,who died for us.We resist,because I believe it is just that sinful nature,people want to hang on to this sinful world.We have to be completely broken and truly sorry for our sins.Its like we must go all the way,or nothing.Its not half of our sin ,its all of our sins. Have mercy on me Oh,God for I am a sinner.Then we can go tell others of Gods great mercy,and forgiveness of our sins.Tell others ,so they can experience Gods love and forgiveness.Live a joyful life,be happy,be restored fully in Gods Love.Amen

hi

To have a broken heart and spirit means an attitude of openess to God recognizing that nothing good lives within us apart from God. This type of prayer is the attitude of heart that God desires so he can bless us. Often we resist having a "broken and contrite heart" because of our pride and the desire to earn forgiveness by good works and not merely recieve it from a gracious and loving God.

Jeff

:rolleyes:

That we are ready for forgiveness. We recognize our sin against God and can pour our broken heart out to God.

This prayer gets down to the brass tacks. No more trying to blame sin on outside influences. Your heart is totall open to the foregiveness of God and we can live in rigteousness, a true ambassador of God's love and forgiveness.

You sacrifice yourself to God, not just surreneder but sacrifice the person that you once were to become the person that God wants you to be.

Who wants to give up total control? Who wants to sacrifice all that they are. Once we take that step we can see the true nature of God. It is in our nature to want total control until we realize the love that God has for us when we give it all up to him. We tend to resist because we just can't wrap our minds around God's tremendous love and the forgiveness that He has for us.

TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL OF YOUR HEART!

Q4.What does it mean to have a broken heart and spirit?  Why is this essential in the prayer for pardon ?  In what sense is this a "sacrifice"?

This is the sacrifice God will not despise. It involves real repentance, a genuine desire to change, and a real love for God.

Why do we tend to resist a "broken and contrite heart" in ourselves?

We resist because we know if we truly love God, we must repent and change.

To have a broken and contrite heart is to have Godly sorrow and deep anguish when we offend God.

It is essential for a prayer of pardon as God looks at our heart and only a broken heart and spirit leads to repentence and change.

It is a sacrifice as any change is difficult and involves a dying to self.

We tend to resist a broken heart and spirit if we want to continue in our sin or if we are rebellious.If we repent and change it is difficult and painful.

I think to have a broken heart and spirit means feeling discouraged, hurt and regretful.

I think you need to have the brokenness so we will let God make repairs and we will truly know that He needs to be calling the shots in our lives. I think the pride we have can limit God's blessings in our lives.

In what sense is this a "sacrifice"? Why do we tend to resist a "broken and contrite heart" in ourselves?

We like to feel comfortable, in the right, and in control of our lives. To let go of this on purpose would certainly be a sacrifice to God. And its hard to do!

When we acknowledge that our life is out of control and God is not Lord anymore then we become a candidate for God to break us in order that He can rebuild us.

We tend to resist a broken and contrite heart because we like to be in control of our selves and when we are broken then God can is in control.

It means that we're so much consumed by our actions against The Living GOD, that to say that we're godly sorry doesn't really fit. I'm thinking of how Peter must have felt when he denied Christ and Christ looked him in the face. What could have been more regretable? How much more broken could any human be at that time, denying The Christ? Thinking if I could only die now, because I don't want to face tomorrow. Crushed in spirit, playing those words over in the mind, you forget what any joy could have ever been.

True repentence comes about only through or because of brokenness.

Because it cause's us to give up or of ourselves. Start taking responsibility for our actions, as well as accepting the consequences.

It makes us see who we really are. And its not pretty. And requires action on our part to remedy it. It makes us exposes our weaknesses.

It means that we are truly sorry for our sins.

Not just sorry we got caught.

It means we are so miserable that we are unable to function until we have confessed our sins before the Lord.

Unless our hearts break with sorrow for our sins, we aren't quite ready to be forgiven.

Often we are sad at being caught at a sin, but not sad because we have sinned against God.

In what sense is this a "sacrifice"?

It isn't easy to admit when we have done wrong.

We don't like to admit that we are sinners.

Why do we tend to resist a "broken and contrite heart" in ourselves?

Because we like to be in control.

We don't like to admit our weaknesses

A broken spirit and contrite heart comes from humbling oneself before God and agreeing with God of the state of one's heart.

I won't seek pardon if I think I have nothing to pardon.

The sacrifice is letting go of the falsehood that I hold close. The one that says I'm okay without Jesus and I can work my way to God.

We resist cuz it smacks of being out of control, which it is.

• 2 weeks later...

When we have a contrite and broken heart, we will be able to pour out heart before God, as a sacrifice for HIM to pardon and rectify and make it pure in HIS sight. Pardon reqires a total surrender and commitment for futue. We have an ego, which resists our effort to be contrite and humble, which we can over come with the help of Holy Spirit.

• 3 weeks later...

To have a broken heart or spirit means there is no joy, an empty feeling, that you are useless, that no one wants you, alone.

It is essential because at that point is where you must be to truely understand the grace of God and ask forgiveness. With a broken heart and spirit the Holy Spirit is able to come in and give guidence and teach the Father's way to true repentence.

`It is a sacrifice because we are inwardly looking to God for the help we had previously regeted.

We tend to resist because we feel unworthy of forgiveness and can not picture a Father so forgiving.

• 1 month later...

A broken heart and spirit - being humble, knowing the shame you caused God. coming to the end of your 'rope'. knowing there is no place else to go. laying yourself completely open before God.

You have to be truly repentant and sorry for your sin. you have to totally ready to turn from your sin. You have to be brought low, - so God can raise you up.

this is like dying to self (as mentioned before, above) you have to dye to self daily

we resist because we are of flesh, the flesh wars against the spirit.

• 2 weeks later...

What does it mean to have a broken heart and spirit? Why is this essential in the prayer for pardon? In what sense is this a "sacrifice"? Why do we tend to resist a "broken and contrite heart" in ourselves?

To have a broken heart and spirit means to be sorry for the sins that we did and we take full responsibility and ready to face whatever consequences God will bring to us. It also means a heart full of sorrows and repentance for what was done and ask for God's forgiveness and cleansing

We tend to resist a broken heart in ourselves when we live in pride and when we deny our sins and instead we give reasons for the wrongdoing or sometimes putting the blame to other people or to God Himself . In this case God cannot work in us, our hearts are hardened by our own desires and reasoning and we cannot hear whatever He is trying to tell us.