JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. A Broken and Contrite Spirit

God wants a broken spirit and a broken and repentant heart.You can never please God by outward actions- no matter how good - if your attitude is not rigth.Are we sorry for your sin? Do we genuinely intend to stop? God is pleased by this kind of repentance .

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The broken spirit and heart is one that is totally repentant, fully acknowleging our transgression(s) against Adonai, totally helpless in His presence and fully fearful of the consequences of our disobedience. This is the essential ingredient to Yahweh hearing our prayer because it is only then that we are pouring out our souls to Him, in complete honesty, full of faith in His compassion and mercy.

This sacrifice is the offering of ourself; mind, body and soul to Yahweh. We are giving ourselves over to Him for His pleasure and during this time of complete repentence we are a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable unto Him! Thank you Jesus.

As usual, pride keeps us high and lifted up, unable to see or accept our faults. For this sin many will not be acceptable of the Lord.

• 2 months later...

Having a broken heart and spirit is somebody with a sad sinful personality and wants forgiveness.It is essential in prayer to ask God"s forgiveness of our sins committed to God.It is a symbolic offering to our God The Father. The Spirit is a free Spirit a free Agent himself,working freely.The liberty wherewith Jesus Christ makes his people free,which is contrasted with the yoke of bondage. It is the Spirit of adoption spoken to the heart.

• 5 months later...

Q4. What does it mean to have a broken heart and spirit?

When we realize the extent of our sinful lives and fall on our knees before God asking for forgiveness.

Why is this essential in the prayer for pardon?

Before we can ask for forgiveness we have to understand that we are sinners and that we need God.

In what sense is this a "sacrifice"?

To have to admit to God that we have failed and need His help.

Why do we tend to resist a "broken and contrite heart" in ourselves?

We don

• 1 month later...

What does it mean to have a broken heart and spirit?

We are truly humbled before a righteous and holy God as we are aware and ashamed of our sin before Him.

To accept a gift of pardon, you must be willing to stretch out your hand to accept it. One who does not acknowledge his need does not reach out.

We sacrifice our pride and self-reliance every time we accept true forgiveness. We are saying that we are unable to produce righteousness or absolve our own sins.

Why do we tend to resist a "broken and contrite heart" in ourselves? Because we must let go of pride to do it, and oh how we humans have trouble doing that!

• 3 weeks later...

A broken heart and spirit describes the condition of genuine sorrow for the sin committed.

When our hearts break with sorrow at our sin, then we are ready for forgiveness.

As David puts it, the sacrifices acceptable to God are a broken heart and spirit.

"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;

a broken and contrite heart,

O God, you will not despise." (Psalm 51:17)

Pride. Subjecting ourselve to the **** of the flesh. Its the old Adam that still fights to survive the "blotting out", the "cleansing" that was applied to the heart. But thank God and by the power of the Holy Spirit our resistance will be against the devil and he will flee; then we will have a "broken and contrite heart."

• 4 weeks later...
Q4. What does it mean to have a broken heart and spirit? Why is this essential in the prayer for pardon? In what sense is this a "sacrifice"? Why do we tend to resist a "broken and contrite heart" in ourselves?

1). To bend on our knees and ask the HS to show us our sins so that it won`t separates us from God. We are aware of God`s presence and our heart are broken because of our sins, making us want more than to ask forgiveness. Having genuine desire to change and avoid sins.

2). God see through our hearts and he knows when we are broken in Spirit and he knows how to mend our brokenness. We know that our sins hurt God who loves us and by our sins we ar injuring God`s reputation. God is quick to forgive and wants nothing more than our relationship restored back to Him. By His grace and mercy of God the Father that we are made whole and fullness back to HIm.

3). Sacrifice is to put our flesh to die by laying down our pride and arrogance before God. Be obedient to do His will by reading His Word and to stay still in His will.

4). Pride and rebellion are sins that hold us to ask forgiveness of God because we don`t want to accept that we are not perfect and sinners.

• 4 months later...
Q4. What does it mean to have a broken heart and spirit? Why is this essential in the prayer for pardon? In what sense is this a "sacrifice"? Why do we tend to resist a "broken and contrite heart" in ourselves?

To have a broken heart and spirit is to be filled with remorse for the wrong you have done. To be crushed by the knowledge of having displeased God.

If you are praying a prayer for pardon you need to be sorry for what you have done and for the breach it has caused in your relationship with God.

This is a sacrifice of ourselves. Laying ourselves on the altar of God repenting and trusting God to restore you.

We resist a broken and contrite heart because of PRIDE. Our pride keeps us from admitting we have done wrong. Our pride makes us resist saying IM SORRY or PLEASE FORGIVE ME. Pride says what I have done is no different from what any one else has done, its really no big deal. But it IS a big deal because it separates us from the love of God.

• 3 months later...

It means to be genuinely sorry, sad, and repentful over sin in my life. It also means to be humble before God. Unless there is genuine repentence when asking for forgiveness is meaningless. It is a sacrifice in that I am laying my heart before God. We resist a "broken and contrite heart" because it makes us vulerable and transparent. It means saying that we are wrong.

• 4 months later...

A broken and contrite heart means to be completed crushed and battered by the realization that your action ar toward God, to be exceedingly sorrowful for an action, or attribute.

It is when we are at this point that we can come to God without any hidden agendas, just a reall heart of repentence and a desire for God to forgive us of our actions.

In olden times sacrifices where done with action of man not with the heart. so they gave the fatted cow thinking I could get much more. These sacrifices became nothing more a ritual have not real substance toward God, or God's will. When we offer these scrafices we are givein up all these worldly things to so that we can express God with a sorrowful and contrite heart

We resist a broken or contrite hart beacause it mean coming before God in full repentence, realizing that we are wrong in our actions, needing God's Salvation for our life, and the mercy of God for forgiveness, a place where a man of pride will find great difficulty in the word of God

• 1 month later...

A broken heart or contrite spirit is to recognize fully the extent to which we have sinned against God and harmed that relationship. Only with that recognition can the relationship be fully restored, the sacrifice is that of our pride; to come before God with humility. Admitting that they are wrong is a hard thing for most people, pride gets in the way and God wants the pride removed and replaced with recognition that we depend upon Him for everything, for without Him there is nothing.

• 1 month later...

What does it mean to have a broken heart and spirit?

For those of us who have known God and have experienced the presence of God, the biggest heartbreak over sin comes with the realization that we have greived God. If we have a love relationship with God, hurting Him is painful because we are like children with a favored parent. We always seek to please that parent out of love, and when we disappoint them we hurt because they hurt.

Why is this essential in the prayer for pardon? In what sense is this a "sacrifice"?

God takes our sin personally. When we leave sin unconfessed and unrepented, we scoff at the cross. Its like crucifying Christ all over again.

Its a sacrifice, in the sense we lay ourselves bare, leaving ourselves open to God's chastisement and willing to accept it in order to be restored to a right relationship with Him.

We give God lip service, we ask to be restored, yet we continue to be disobedient because we have not fully turned from our sin. We do not have a willing spirit to cooperate fully with the pain of true confessions of our sins and turning from that sin. Because we either do not believe that its wrong because everybody else is doing it so it can't be all bad, even though it's wrong in the sight of God.

• 2 weeks later...

It means to truly be repentant or your sin toward God and truly desire to change. It is essentail because that is the only way that God will accept our prayers and heal us. If we pray and keep doing the same things then we aren't truly sorry and willing to start a fresh. Giving up the sin in our lives in our mind can be a sacrifice because it is giving up what we enjoy and to some that is a sacrifice. We resist a broken and contrite heart because it hurt to be truly repentant and humble your self admit your wrongs to God and seek His forgiveness.

• 3 weeks later...

To have a broken heart and spirit means that we have realized our sin and it has caused us much grief. We are torn because of our sin.

In the prayer for pardon, to be effective, we have to face our sin and be genuinely sorry that we have grieved God with our sins. We have to confess, be sorry for the sin, and acknowledge that we have sinned against God.

Our prayer for forgiveness is in a sense a sacrifice in that we have a broken spirit when we are truly sorry for our sins. This is accepted in place of a sacrifice as our forgiveness is by grace.

As humans we tend to resist a broken and contrite heart because we try to minimize our sins. We have pride that keeps us from genuine repentance at times.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to be totally shattered by what we have done. We need to understand how serious our sin is. They sent Christ to the cross. Our pride keeps us from being broken hearted

We don't want to admit that we are wrong. This will keep us from confessing. A broken spirit will produce tears! I just experienced this! I was shaken to my core when God revealed my sin, and I was humiliated and embarrassed. We must face it for what it is. We cannot hide from God. We may be able to deny it to ourselves and others, but we Can't hide from God.

• 1 month later...

It means that I feel great sadness and sorrow over my sin against the Lord who loves me....accompanied by the desire for true repentance and forgiveness. My willfull desire to sin is "broken with grief."

Without true repentance and sorrow, I'm just wanting the "check mark in the box of forgiveness"...just going through the motions so I can move on without really desiring to live a holy life.

True repentance requires humility...a giving over of my will to the Lord for genuine change and regeneration.

Because our fallen nature is prideful...resists admitting we're wrong, or have done wrong. We're steeped in the desire to "put our best foot forward"..to look good on the outside, while wanting to hide the inner sinful "self". Admitting brokenness causes me to look at my true condition which is deplorable....but then I am able to fully embrace the cross and Jesus' shed blood with deep gratitude and thanksgiving....He has become so much more precious to me since facing my deep need of His cleansing and forgiveness.

To have a broken heart and spirit is to be truly repentent for our sins. The words David chose for his confession show, by use of the different synonymns for sin: rebellion, twistedness, missing the way, and wickedness, that he recognizes the root cause of his sins and that he is truly repentent, heart-broken that the has done things that his Lord had specifically told His people were against his will and outside acceptable behavior. It is essential that we feel this way in our prayers for pardon, else we are just professing faith, without really feeling the Holy Spirit within us. It is a sacrifice on our part to feel this way, in that we are putting the Lord before our selfish desires. We, as natural men (and women), have a hard time allowing our hearts and spirits to be broken, and certainly in admitting that we have a broken heart or spirit. We still feel that we know what is best for us, and that we can get those things on our own.

It meas to truely confess and forsake our sins and continue to live a holy life.

This is a sacrifice remember it cost Jesus His life. He died for our sins on the cross of calvary. It is essential 'cos if it is not there the gap caused by the sins is not bridged.

It is a lie from the enemy that salvation is not necessary beacause the devil knows that it is him that needed to be resisted so he is doing everything possible to confuse the elects. But God will help us to see that our inners eyes are opened to see the truth amen.

A broken and contrite heart is a heart that openly confesses its sin before a Holy God. Pride has been shattered and the broken and contrite heart lays bare before the eyes of God. No more hiding. It is essential in our prayer for pardon because it requires absolute honesty. It is a "sacrifice" because our sinful nature continues to rear up and it requires us to beat it down and call it dead.

Personally, I have found the broken and contrite heart before the Lord to be the only place to live. I recognize that my sin is ever before me and therefore I cling to the cross. Not that I beat myself up over past offenses, but recognizing that I am a human being, prone to sin, and need to be mindful of the things of the Spirit and humble myself before God asking Him to keep me straight up.

Being broken was the best thing that ever happened to me.

To walk humbly and honestly before our God without pride nor arrogance. Repentance & sacrifice is continually requested by our Lord.Our broken and contrite heart are his sacrifice for with this he can do his will.

R4. To have a broken heart and spirit is to realize how great our transgression is and feel so sorry and repentant for it that we feel our hearts about to explode and our spirit unwilling to go on with questions as "Can God still forgive me?" "Am I worthy to be forgiven?" What must I do to be forgiven? We feel lost.

This is essential in the prayer for pardon because this is the only way we will truly be sorry for our sin/s and truly repent which are required by God for us to be pardoned. In a sense this is giving up our old selves as a sacrifice for a renewed life.

We tend to resist a broken and contrite heart because many times we wish we can do the old things again.

• 3 weeks later...

To have a broken heart and spirit means that we are genuinely sorry for our sins. We are also sorry that we hurt and sinned against God.

Contritement is necessary for the pardon of sins because we need to have anything removed that separates our relationship with God.

It is a sacrifice because we no longer offer animals but instead we offer a broken and contrite heart. It also requires humility from us.

We resist a broken and contrite heart because we are proud and sometimes we are not truly repentant of our sins.

• 4 months later...

A broken heart and spirit I believe it means that when a person is at the lowest point of their life and feels there is no hope at all after trying out everything humanly possible to get answers to a situation they're facing. When a child God sins or unable to come to terms with a situation, their heart become broken and realise that there is none other but God who can come to the rescue. In a situation where sin is involved, a heart becomes so heavy with sorrow of what took place and the only way to take such feeling away is repentance before God.

A broken heart and contrite spirit is essential in the prayer pardon because it brings one into true repentance before God.

I believe this becomes a sacrifice when a person gives up total control of self and surrender it all to Jesus. Allowing Jesus to take over their emotion, mind, spirit and soul means we sacrifice our own individual human nature and let God have His way within us, which is always the best because He knows His creation and how we function.

I suppose as human we'd like to think we are in total control of our life. We resist a broken heart and contrite spirit because we do not want to allow God to take over what we can't. Some times is because as human we treat God how we treat our friends and family. We don't want Him to see that we are broken. It's our pride to be in total control and not dare to appear weak or broken to others.