JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (19:15) How do the first two sentences of Hezekiah's prayer (verse 15) correspond to the first sentence of the Lord's Prayer? How are they important to faith? How are they important to God answering the prayer?

"O LORD, God of Israel, enthroned between the cherubim, you alone are God over all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made heaven and earth." (19:15)

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name."

They both place God where He should be on His throne above all things and names Him creator of all things. They are important to faith because we must realize that on a creator God and a loving God who is above all can answer prayer and save usfrom our sinfulness. With out the faith in who God really is how can we expect Him to answer us and keep us to the end. We need faith and strength to pray forceful prayers during our times of trouble like Hezekiah's and a firm belief that our God will answer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (19:15) How do the first two sentences of Hezekiah's prayer (verse 15) correspond to the first sentence of the Lord's Prayer? How are they important to faith? How are they important to God answering the prayer?

Hezekiah begins his prayer giving honor and awe to the God of everything just as the Lord's Prayer begins giving honor to God - Hallowed be Thy name.

This is important to our faith because we need to praise God and give Him the proper honor and respect so we can grow closer to Him and build our faith by realizing His majesty and power and all He has done for us.

When we get an understanding of the magnificance and power of God, it builds our faith. We can come before God with assurance that He is able to answer our prayers and take care of any situation.

• 1 month later...

These sentences are affirmation to us, and God, that we are praying to the One, True God of all creation. For me, I am talking straight to God-my Heavenly Father. My Provider, my Sustainer, my Everything. And for God, it is the same. He knows that we are talking straight to Him, and that we believe that He is The One True God and that we believe that He will hear and answer.

It acknowledges that God in heaven is holy. It is important to understand that all creation is under His control. When we acknowledge that He has control, it shows how much faith we have.

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. (19:15) How do the first two sentences of Hezekiah's prayer (verse 15) correspond to the first sentence of the Lord's Prayer?

Hezekiah, as Jesus did, begins by addressing and acknowledging the Lord, by his title and position of God/Father, enthroned in Heaven....declaring Who He Is. Sovereign over all creation.

How are they important to faith?

Addressing the Lord this way, puts whatever I'm praying about in the proper perspective in light of Who He is....sometimes I begin by saying, especially if I'm feeling overwhelmed..."Heavenly Father, You created the Universe by simply speaking a Word and bringing it forth out of nothing.." after that, my issues are tiny and easily handled by my Mighty Warrior God and Father. It's not just throwing a "hey you" out into the Heavenlies....it's a respectful address by one of His children.

How are they important to God answering the prayer?

He responds to faith...the way I address Him demonstrates faith...that I know and love Whom I'm praying to and that I believe He hears and answers prayer, as well as has the power and authority to answer in the way that is best.

"Our Father, who art in heaven" - and - "O LORD, God of Israel, enthroned between the cherubim, you alone are God over all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made heaven and earth."

Both of these opening sentences of prayer, praise God, and acknowledge his soverign rule over all creation. It is important that we recognize God's authority over us, and indeed, all of creation, as God rejoices that we realize His position, and our position as well. Since we are taught in scripture to pray this way, it is expected of us, if we are to expect God to answer us.

Both prayers exalt God as the true and living God and His sovereignty above all. Also, it verifies his "residence"...

Important to faith because it shows the relationship -- He's God...we're not. He is Father..we are child.

God wants us to be dependent upon Him. He's the Dad, we're the child...He'll take care of it...whatever "it" is.

• 3 weeks later...

Lord is Hebrew personal specific name of God pronounced "Yaw-whey". Jew felt the name of the Lord was too holly to even pronounce and substituted Adonai or lord. God of Israel Israel name God gave to Jacob and is applied to nation. Israel Northern Kingdon and Judah Southern Kingdom. God is alone over all the kingdoms of all the earth and God made the heavens and the earth.

The basis of the action petition of prayer is speaking to the 1 true living God

• 2 weeks later...

The first 2 sentences of Hezekiah's prayer correspond with the Lord's prayer because the words are similar in meaning..."Our Father, who art in heaven"

They are important to faith because when we pray to God we are believing that |He is the only one, true God.

They are important to God answering prayer because God is moved by our faith and because He is pleased that we say to Him, "Lord, the battle is not mine, it is yours."

• 5 months later...

Hezekiah start by honouring God as in the Lord's prayer we honour Him and give Him praise.

It's how we see God and understand him that makes the difference to our faith.

As this grows, our faith and belief grow and we see the God of abundance, the God who cares, stepping in and answering prayer.

• 3 months later...

THE FIRST TWO SENTENCES CORRESPOND WITH THE lORD'S PRAYER IN THAT THEY BOTH TELL WHO GOD IS AND WHERE HE'S LOCATED

THEY ARE IMPORTANT TO FAITH BECAUSE THE MORE WE TELL GOD WHO HE IS, IS THE MORE IT WILL RESOUND IN OUR SPIRIT MAN AND THE MORE OUR FAITH IS BUILT UP IN HIM.

THEY ARE IMPORTANT TO GOD BECAUSE IT TELLS HIM THAT WE RECOGNIZE HIM FOR WHO HE IS AND THAT WE ARE TOTALLY DEPENDING ON HIM.

• 4 months later...

Both prayers revealed that God is above all others and in control of everything and everybody. We must understand to hold onto our faith no matter how grim it looks. We must take our faith off the unemployment line and work our faith because faith without works is dead. When we pray Gods will and believe what we have prayed our prayers will be answered.

Patricia

• 1 month later...

The first two sentences of Hezekiah's prayer like the first sentence of The Lord's Prayer proclaim the greatness of Almighty God. They are important to faith as this vision of God drives our faith in his power---placing our heart and mind in the correct position to petition our GOD who has limitless power and unfailing love to his children.

I was so thrilled to read of the Exodus, the desert wanderings,the building of the Tabernacle and later on the building of the first Temple in Jerusalem. That is when I truly felt how great is our God, every year when I get to that part of the Bible I feel great excitement knowing what a treat is in store, I never tire of reading it, thankyou Lord for your wonderful Word. I would also like to thank Dr Ralph for these lessons, they are so helpful.

• 5 months later...

Q2. (19:15)

How do the first two sentences of Hezekiah's prayer (verse 15) correspond to the first sentence of the Lord's Prayer?

In both Hezekiah

• 2 months later...

Hezekiah's Prayer :- "O LORD, God of Israel, enthroned between the cherubim, you alone are God over all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made heaven and earth.

The Lord's Prayer :- Our Father in Heaven, Hallowed be Your name

Like the Lord's prayer, Hezekiah's prayer started with a proclamation that that God alone is the God of Heaven and Earth. He is the creator and ruler of heaven and earth.

When we remember that the God whom we worship and serve is the creator God, the only one and true God and yet He is our Father, we know we just cannot fail. We have Him on our side. This will increase our faith because we know we can approach Him and He will help us according to His will.

They are important to God answering prayer because we surrender everything to him, giving him full control to help us.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

In both prayers God is recognized as being the supreme ruler of Heaven and earth. It is important that we honor Him as He deserves and that we know we can trust His mighty power. "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours."(Mark 11:24)To have this level of trust we have to know how great our God is and that we can (and ought) to rely on Him a 100%

• 4 months later...

Q2. (19:15) How do the first two sentences of Hezekiah's prayer (verse 15) correspond to the first sentence of the Lord's Prayer?

The first two sentences of Hezekiah’s prayer correspond to the first sentence of the Lord’s Prayer which begins: “Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.”

Recognizing and seeing God as Holy and is Heaven is important to faith, because it reminds us of God’s power and that He is the only true God. It strengthens my faith because I see that God is not limited to Heaven or to Earth. God’s power has no limitation.

Recognizing God as the only true God, the Holy God who is in Heaven is important to know that God will answer our prayer, because He made heaven and earth and His power is limitless.

• 1 year later...

They both acknowledge God as being above all things and creator of all. This again reminds us and builds our faith that God is in total control over all things. It gives honor to God when we tell Him we know who He is.

• 1 month later...

How do the first two sentences of Hezekiah's prayer (verse 15) correspond to the first sentence of the Lord's Prayer?

Hezekiah called onto God alone, he made sure it is clear Who he addressed, just as the Lord's prayer directly addresses the One true God

We have to show clearly in Who we believe

How can God answer our prayer if we don't talk to Him alone?

• 1 year later...

2 Kings 19:15 (NIV)  "And Hezekiah prayed to the LORD: "O LORD, God of Israel, enthroned between the cherubim, you alone are God over all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made heaven and earth."

Matthew 6:9 (ASV) "Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name."

Hezekiah begins his prayer with a vision of who God really is.

Introduction                                                         Introduction

"Our Father who art in heaven"                         "O Lord"

The word translated as father is abba.                 Hezekiah adores God

First Petition                                                        "God of Israel"                                                       

Because Israel was his peculiar people.

"Hallowed be thy name"                                        

People may look upon God's name                      "Enthroned between the cherubim"

as holy; something that inspires awe                   There was the peculiar residence of his glory upon earth.

and reverence.

"the God of the whole earth" 

Hezekiah gives glory to God who is not confined to the

temple.

"for thou hast made heaven and earth"

Being Creator of all, by an incontestable title God is

owner and ruler of all.

The title says it all. If our own vision of God is small, we'll never ask of him great things. Hezekiah's prayer springs from his faith in the God of creation.

The actual petition is quite brief: "Deliver us from his hand!" The basis of Hezekiah's appeal is that God be seen by the nations as the only true God.

Hezekiah prays that God will now glorify himself in the defeat of Sennacherib and the deliverance of Jerusalem out of his hands:

(2 Kgs. 19:19) 19 "Now, Lord our God, deliver us from his hand, so that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that you alone,

Lord, are God.”

• 1 month later...

The openings of both prayers tell of the greatness of God. They show how powerful he is. They hold him above all that is on this earth. When we believe in the greatness of God, we know in our hearts and souls that he is capable of doing anything. Nothing stops us from taking all of our thoughts and concerns and prayers to him. God knows that we truly trust in him. God can see into our hearts and souls and he knows how much we trust him. He knows how we really feel about him. It shows how much we adore and love him as our heavenly Father.