JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Kingship and the Tithe

Pastor Ralph

In the OT, tithing was important in order to support God's temple as well as His priests and Levites. Tithing was considered an obedient act of submission. By giving 10% of one's firstfruits, a person was acknowledging the Lord's position as king.

Under the New Covenant it is important to give of our tithes and offerings in order to support the Lord's workers. There are missionaries struggling financially out on the field because they have only 50 to 75% of the support they need coming in. Those under the law were required to give a tithe of their firstfruits and we should be willing to do no less. We should be willing to write out our tithe check before paying our bills, buying groceries,etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giving our tithes to God is a great privelege. Tithes are dived among God's servants. Jesus, however, warned that strict tithing must accompany concern for the more important demands of the law,namely, for just and merciful living. (Matt.23:23; Luke 11:42). Isariel was warn about picking there own king,but they decided not to listen. The people of Isariel rejected God's rule through the judjes and demands.

In the Bible,God tells us in, Malachi 3:10 about our tithes. Using our tithes wisely, it provides needed encouragement and sobering reality to those of us in recovery. Everyone has been given various abilities by God; no one is untalented or worthless.Giving our tithes to God is worthy and talented.We have our choice, to give or not to give, tithe or not to tithe,and be Bless by God.God is our creator,"King of Kings" and "Lord of Lords." Follow,and Serve God.

Q1. Read 1 Samuel 8:15 and Malachi 3:8-10. How did tithing relate to a person's acceptance of God being their King in the Old Testament? How about for those of us who live under the New Covenant? What place does tithing have for us?

How did tithing relate to a person's acceptance of God being their King in the Old Testament?

They tithed out of obedience for their King. Out of their love for him. :rolleyes:

How about for those of us who live under the New Covenant?

We should do it our of our obedience to our King. To show him honor. By giving him what is his to begin with. :rolleyes:

What place does tithing have for us?

It should have first place with us. We can't expect to be blessed when we don't return to him what is his. :lol:

Q1. Read 1 Samuel 8:15 and Malachi 3:8-10. How did tithing relate to a person's acceptance of God being their King in the Old Testament? How about for those of us who live under the New Covenant? What place does tithing have for us?

1). Tithing relate to a person's acceptance of God being his or her King in the O.T shows the honor, fear and reverancing of God by the gaving of 10% of your wages to support the administration of the church.

2). It's the same for those under the new covenant.

3). Tithing open door's of blessing for us. If you give with a willing and good heart you shall receive. ;)

God is the owner of the cattle on a thousand hills therefore he needed nothing from the people their

tithe was for them to show their obedience to his laws and to show that they would keep his commandments. They instead chose to steal from God by disobeying Him and not keeping his laws.

We under the new covenant are ask to give ten percent but Paul says that a man should give out of his heart and Jesus told the disciples that the amount was not important when He spoke of the poor widow who gave a penny. We need to give with a pure heart and be glad in the fact that God has blessed us and we are able to give. Tithing should be very important to us be cause it shows our obedience to God and our willingness to give back blessing as God give to us. We are instructed to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all other things will be added. If we believe that we should be challenged to give to God expecting Him to reward our love for Him.

In the old testament,tributes, tithes and offerings are due to the king. And because God is the great King, our tributes, tithes and offerings are due to HIM to support the ministers of God to make the kingdom work easy for them.

The place of tithing in our lives is always to fight the devourer for our sake. When we tithe, we are blessed beyond measure.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The law of tithing related to their acceptance of God as their King because, as in the suzerain-vassal treaties of the middle east of that day, it symbolized their surrender and submission before the High King, and their acceptance of Him as their Protector and themselves as His subjects.

As people of the New Covenant, we are no longer bound by the letter of the Law (2 Cor 3:5-6; Galatians 3:10-25; ); Jesus is the complete fulfillment of the Law. Those of us who live under the New Covenant are not bound by a 10% tithe; the Lord desires us to give cheerfully from our hearts as He leads us through His Holy Spirit. He may put it on our hearts to give much more than 10% or very little or nothing. It is about our intention to obey out of love for Him and His servants, even if it is very difficult. Out of love for our teachers and ministers who sacrifice their time to teach, guide, and minister to the church, we should seek the Lord as to how much and in what way He would have us give. The blessing from giving is spiritual in that we can know that we have obeyed the Lord by giving "as he purposes in his heart." Second Corinthians 9 really sums up giving to the saints and Ephesians 6:2-10 also speaks of "sharing" with him who teaches.

Q1. Read 1 Samuel 8:15 and Malachi 3:8-10. How did tithing relate to a person's acceptance of God being his or her King in the Old Testament?

Tithing is an act of obedience. In the old Testament they gave money to support their Temple and Priests.

Today we tithe to help further and support His Kingdom here on earth. We give of our money and of ourselves. All that we have belongs to God not us.

We should give first to God, then we will be blessed. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Giving tributes was an inevitable part of being the vassals of a king, if they wanted to get the benefits from such a relationship. Tithing was the way of paying tributes to God in the old Testament, because they were necessary for supporting the people who lived devoted to the service of the Lord or for those in need. Tithing, then, was an external proof of the acceptance of God as a King.

For those who live under the New Covenant, tithing is probably not a law sine qua non like it used to be, but it certainly is something that God demands from us in order to show Him our obedience and submission. God promises great blessings for those who tithe, and tithing is used as a financial source to sponsor the church activities and demonstrate the Lord that He is at the first place in our hearts.

• 2 weeks later...

For the Israelitesit meant for them in the promised land of God that 1/10 of there belongings would be given to the Lord as an offering for what the Lord had given to them. For us living under the New Covenant we should provide 1/10 to the Lord as our offering for his protection and our salvation.

Tithing was an act of obedience. People of that time gave 10% to the king they were under. So as God commanded them to tithe it showed thier devotion to God and obedience to Him.

The New Covenant did not change that we are to tithe. Tithing still shows our obedience to God, that He is our King. It is still how He supports the church, its Pastor's, Shepherds of His people.

• 3 weeks later...

The principle regarding tithes was intended to encourage inward attitude as well as outward actions . If a person gives grudgingly , he shows that he has a stingy heart . God wants us to be cheerful givers.

People may hestitate to give to God because they worry about enough money left over to meet their own need .God is able to meet our needs .The person who gives a little will receive only little in return. Don't let a lack of faith keep you from giving cheerfully and generously.

• 3 months later...

Q1. Read 1 Samuel 8:15 and Malachi 3:8-10. How did tithing relate to a person's acceptance of God being his or her King in the Old Testament?

Tithing was was one of the command that God, King of Kings and Lord of Lords gave to the people of the Old Testament. In the Old Testament a person who accepted God as his or her King was obedient to the laws and commands of God, and thus gave the tithe.

For us who lives under the New Covenant we pay our tithes out of love for our God and His command to the Children of God.

Today paying of the tithe and supporting our church leaders show that we are under the sovereign rulership of God who is the King of Kings and delights in giving to the work of the Kingdom.

Tithing whether in the Old or New Testament is simply an acknowledgement that everything one owns belong to God. After all it is God who gives everyone the grace and the strength to obtain riches. It is only right to give back to God what really belonged to hin in the first place. Everyone should rejoice that God is so good to require only 10% from the income of His children. It is not correct that the New Testament did not bother about tithes. Tithing is still important in the time of Christ. If there was no direct injunction about tithes in the New Testament, it was because the early Christians already took it as a given. In fact the grace they were referring to was the amount beyond the 10% tithe.

• 2 months later...

[/color]

Until I did this study, I had no idea how all-encompassing the meaning of the Scripture, "...You are not your own..." (First Corinthians 6:19) really was!

When I have read studies on tithing before, they've always told me I should tithe.. and the types of tithes, but no one, until Pastor Ralph, has ever told me *why* I should tithe. I should tithe because I belong to Someone else. All that I am and all that I have --- everything, from my person, to my environment, to the air I breath, belongs NOT to me, but to GOD. And He has laid down very clearly in the Scriptures we've studied here and elsewhere how much that tithe is to be: 10%.

In the OT, tithing was a public statement of faith, of belief of and obedience to the Lord GOD Almighty. In the NT, the concept of tithing seems to be broadened, but the fact remains that it is *still* an act of faith, an act of obedience to GOD. And for those who would say that the OT and its laws have no part in the modern-day NT Christian's life, let me remind them that the Bible clearly states, "I AM the Lord. I do not change..." (Malachi 3:6)

The same GOD of the OT is the exact same GOD of the New Covenant: "JESUS Christ

is the same yesterday, today, and forever." (Hebrews 13:8)

JESUS, Himself, when asked about tithing, said simply, "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and what is GOD's unto GOD." (Matthew 22:21; Mark 12:17; Luke 20:25)

Finally, as I said before, I think tithing under the New Covenant is expanded to include our entire being and not just our money, which, therefore, opens up a vast array of opportunities and ways for us to render our tithe unto GOD. But stating that, made me think --- if that is so, then how about what modern Americans consider most valuable right now, our time. What is a tenth of a day? Answer: two hours and 40 minutes! Do I give the Lord almost three hours of my time, my undivided attention everyday? May GOD forgive me, I'm afraid I don't. But what if I did... what if I took Him up, so to speak, on His challenge, "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house. Test Me in this," says the Lord GOD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of Heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it." (Malachi 3:10) Wow, how much then would my life change and also those around me?!

JESUS said that those who have eyes let them see and ears let them hear. I have seen; I have heard. Now it's up to me to decide, am I for GOD or against Him. I am His obedient and loving servant and precious child who owes everything to her Father, or am I a shameful, disobedient, wasteful, arrogant prodical daughter?

In Deuteronomy 30:19-20, our Lord says, "See, I have set forth before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore, choose life...." I have been given free will by Almight GOD, Himself. Now is the time to choose whether or not I will act on this new (for me) revelation of the Lord. Let me answer with another Scripture: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!"

• 4 months later...

The people gave a tenth of what they earned to whom they served; at least that was what they were supposed to do.

Under the new covenant, if you look at what people do you can tell who and what they serve. People each time they get paid, put aside money to play the lottery, go on vacation, fix up their car, their house, many different things. I

• 4 weeks later...

The tithe was a symbol of their submission and respect to the authority of God. It also supported the priests, who were the earthly representatives of the Heavenly government. Thought we live under the New Covenant, God is no less of a King than He was to the Israelites from their earliest days as a nation. Tithing should serve as a reminder to us, that we are under His authority. In America, I feel we lose much of the meaning that comes with being under a king's authority, due to our government's relative lenientcy. We must recognize God's absolute, unquestionable commands, and the power that backs them up. He has no checks or balances on His reach. In the practical, literal sense, tithing is also a neccesary part of The Church. If we as The Body of Christ do not feed the body, we are going to be considerably malnurished and ineffective. Tithing will also bring benefits in our personal lives. In Malachi, we see that tithing results in a torent of blessing. I think we can conclude that a lack of tithing will therefore not produce blessing. You reap what you sow.

Another thought that God just gave me as I was writing this:

What about tithing your time?

I am not in the habit of giving 2 hrs. and 24 mins. to God each day. I guess I've even been considering a half hour sufficient. Along with God, I'd like to challenge myself as well as the rest of you to try this. "Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it." Mal 3:10b

Kings of Bible times took more that just their subjects' money. They took their land, crops, possession, children, as well as their service in civilian affairs as well as in battle. The King of kings wants our complete surrender as well. He wants us to give of ourselves humbly and cheerfully, recognzing that every thing we have is an undeserved gift from His hand. In Malachi we see that though He demands our complete submission, He is in turn a generous, loving King, and after redeeming us from the oppresive kingdom of darkness with His very life, He seeks to protect us, and to bless us as a father.

• 2 weeks later...

In the old testament tithing was how you showed obedience to God and help support the temple and priest. Today new believers show obedience and help support their home church through tithing. Tithing is about obedience and worship to God Almighty.

• 1 month later...

The act of tithing helps to foster obedience and trust, two of the great spiritual disciplines, that help us to know God as Lord and King. Tithing, as shown in the Old Testament, mirrored the practice of paying tribute to king overlords or suzerain kings. This type of chief king promised to protect lesser rulers and subjects in exchange for their obedience, honor, trust, and tribute payment. How much more so should I be honoring my Great King!! Shouldn't I give my best of all that I possess and am to the Holy One? All things come from Him anyway.

While the OT was physically-based and physical acts helped people to learn physical things, the Old Testament is based fully on grace and on the things spirit. Tithing continues on in the NT, yet now mercy, justice, and other spiritual attributes support tithing.

The theme of kingship threads throughout the OT and NT, Old and New Covenants. The Great King is to be honored with tributes, tithes, and offerings. He is Adonnay. God is not to be mocked nor robbed!

• 4 months later...

A tithe (10%) was expected to be given to a king as his due (1 Samuel 8:15) to support his administration, just as a tithe was given to Yahweh to support his ministers, the priests and Levites. Those who refused to give God "the whole tithe" to provide food for his "house" (i.e., household), were considered to be robbing God (Malachi 3:8-10). Those, of course, who did not consider God their King, did not feel under any obligation to tithe to him, but withheld God's tithe for themselves.

Living under the New Covenant does not do away with tithing. God tells us to be generous and to decide what we are going give and then give it consistently. Give with a glad heart -- be generous. Open handed giving. All of what we have is God's to begin with. It takes resources to spread the gospel in word and deed and to provide for pastors, missionaries, etc. A tithe is still a tithe. God blesses those who tithe with glad, willing, and giving hearts. That principle has not changed.

If I love my God and am seeking His will for my life, then tithing is a central part of my Christian life.

• 3 weeks later...

As far back as Abraham, tithing was a principle adhered to by Old Testament followers of God. They recognized Him as King and followed His instructions about how to honor Him and make sure that His servants (priests) were cared for.

If we truly accept Jesus as our King, then we should have no issue at all with continuing to follow God's direction about tithing.

Tithing is as relevant now as it was in Old Testament times. In my own life I have entered a period where financially I have had to make some decisions about where my money goes, and I have to admit, and ask forgiveness for, the fact that I have chosen not to honor God with a tithe as I should have. I recognize now that some issues I have been dealing with lately are no doubt directly related to my disobedience in this area. I have sincerely asked God for forgiveness for this sin, and believe that I will remedy this problem as soon as possible.

In 1 Samuel 8:15 the Lord, through Samuel, tells the people that the king they are requesting will take a tenth of all their grain and wine and give it to his advisors. In Malachi 3:8-10 God curses the people because they have been robbing Him of the tithe, and then promises if they bring in the tithe He will open heavens floodgates and pour down blessings on them. The people rejected God as their King and wanted a human king in 1 Samuel so He told them that the human king would take his just due of 10% of everything they had, this was what was due the king. The people were constantly turning their backs on God so in Malachi He challenges them to test Him and see how greatly He would bless them if they would just bring in the tithe. If the people would willingly bring in the tithe the king would deal with them justly and bless them.

In the New Testament we are given several examples by Christ of what we are to do. The one that stands out is when Jesus and His disciples were in the temple and the wealthy man came in and dropped a bag of money into the offering and then a widow proceeded to drop in a penny. Jesus commended the woman for giving all she had. We need to acknowledge that all we have is from God and give accordingly. 2 Corinthians 9:6-7 give the precedent by which we are to give