JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Lord Will Provide

Q1. (Genesis 22:1-14) Do you think Abraham was really expecting God to provide a sacrifice, or that was just what he told Isaac? What support do you have for your position? Did you ever receive a last-minute provision from God? In what circumstances can we expect God to supply our needs? Any conditions?

Yes, I believe that Abraham expected God to provide, I am sure that he did not know how God would accomplish this but He had faith from all the other times he had followed the Lords directions. He left his family and traveled to a strange land. He ask God to save the people of Sodom and Gomorrah if 5 righteous

people could be found. He gave a tithe to Melchidzek to show his faith in God his provider. He knew that God had worked in his life before so He had to trust Him now that he was told to sacrifice Isaac.

Yes. numberous times God has provided me strength to get through troubles that I saw no way out of,times whan I wanted to give up and end it all,but God was with me and help me see that He was the only way and that if I just lean on Him, He will get me through.

God will provide when we are faithful, like Abraham we have to depend and not waver. He will provide our needs not want as others have already said. He will sustain us as we seek to keep His word and to do His will for our lives.

God always has conditions after every promise there is an IF, we must keep His commandment and do His will for our lives if we expect Him to be there for us. We can't leave Him out of our lives and do everything on our own and then expect Him to be there for us.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Genesis 22:1-14) Do you think Abraham was really expecting God to provide a sacrifice, or that was just what he told Isaac? What support do you have for your position? Did you ever receive a last-minute provision from God? In what circumstances can we expect God to supply our needs? Any conditions?

I think Abraham had great faith in God that He can do all things. He believed so much in HIM. He actually hoped that God will provide because GOD has never failed him. God promised him that he will be a father of all nations, so even in his riped age, God still did it. Even Abraham paid a tithe to Melchizedek for God to provide and bless him without measure.Again Phill 4:19 says that God will supply all our needs according to his reaches in glory by Christ Jesus.

I have received a last minute provision from God in so many ways. In a battle that almost out weighed me ,God came to my rescue at a time all hope was lost. When my strenght failed me God in HIS infinite mercy provided me with strenght to move on. God equally provided me sound health when the enemies tried to afflict me.

We can expect God to provide all our needs in all circumstances provided it is according to HIS will.

• 3 weeks later...

Abraham beleive that God would provide the sacrifice not him he didn't think that he would have to give up Isaac for the sacrifice and he didn't trust that the Lord will have a sacrifice, but he was willing to give up Isaac, the support of my position is that i am willing to give up anything for the Lord because i know that the Lord will supply all of my needs, that including any conditions.

• 2 months later...

Do you think Abraham was really expecting God to provide a sacrifice, or that was just what he told Isaac?

Abraham believed that God would make things right, whatever the outcome. Isaac must have had huge trust in his father that this also would be the case.

In my life God has provided well for me. I have never felt alone but have felt His presence with me always.

God provides for us when we stay near to Him in a loving relationship.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, i do believe that Abraham expected God to provide a sacrifice because he stated in his conversation with his son that God would provide a sacrifice. To me this showed full faith in the Lord.

Is there any conditions we have to meet in order for God to supply our needs, sure there is. Pretty Basic, believe in God, with all our hearts and all our souls, pretty basic but it is harder then we thiunk.

I think Abraham was actually expecting God to do something about the sacrifice, either to provide it or to raise Isaac from the dead, as Paul says in Hebrews 11:19. He was certain that God would do something special, just because that had been His promise to Abraham, so the man might have been expecting to see how the Lord would keep His promise. Besides, the passage tells that Abraham walked for three days, enough time to think and go back!

I have had the experience of receiving a last-minute provision from God many, many times, in the most surprising and unexpected ways. And this will always happen, no matter under what circumstances, with only one condition: that we show the same

• 2 weeks later...

No i do not believe Abraham thought God would supply another sacrifice. Abraham was told by God to sacrifice his son and this is what he intended to do. He was being obedient to God. Abraham had strong faith, Isaac was born of a barrin woman and his father was old. Abraham believed God when he told him he would be the father of nations. He knew this could not happen if his son Isaac was sacrificed. In his obedience to God, he knew God could raise his son from the dead. He knew God could not lie and His promise to Abraham would be fulfilled.

The only condidition that we have to recieve from God is to believe on His Son, Jesus Christ, to ask for our needs and our wants, and believe that we have it. Then thank God for his provision. Strong faith is the requirement. We can expect God to provide for us in all circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Genesis 22:1-14) Do you think Abraham was really expecting God to provide a sacrifice, or that was just what he told Isaac?

I believe that Abraham knew God would provide a sacrifice.

What support do you have for your position?

God told Abraham that his descendants would be as numerous as the stars. Abraham trusted God to keep his promise to him.

Did you ever receive a last-minute provision from God?

God always provides our needs. He may not provide all of our wants and desires but he certainly provides our needs.

In what circumstances can we expect God to supply our needs? Any conditions?

He will provide in all circumstances if that is His Will for our lives. If it isn

• 4 weeks later...

Abraham was a man of faith and he was sure that God would provide a scrifice . God did not want Isaac to die , but He wanted Abraham to sacrifice Isaac in his heart so it would be clear that Abraham loved God more than he loved his promised and long -awaiting son.

God has been my provider in everything I do in this world.

• 2 months later...

Like every one of us Abraham must have been doubtful if what God really wanted him to do, and at the same time Abraham had faith that all would turn out right. This is the dilemma of every believer during time of testing. Sometimes we are not really sure of what God wants for us in a particular situation, but somehow we manage to go on though most often with flickering faith.

I have not yet had a situation where I had a last minute provision for God.

Q1. (Genesis 22:1-14) Do you think Abraham was really expecting God to provide a sacrifice, or that was just what he told Isaac? What support do you have for your position?

I truly believe that Abraham believed that God was going to provide a sacrifice. God had already told him that his seed will be great. And Abraham believed God. At this point in his life the promise was yet to unfold.

"And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be. And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness."
Genesis 15:5-6 (KJV)

There are numerous occasions that I can recall God moving on my behalf at the last minute. Two days ago I prayed to God for a thing and within minutes the prayer was answered. And as quickly as He answered, it was in "last-minutes."

When we ask according to His will we can be confident that He will hear and answer.

"And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him."
1 John 5:14-15 (KJV)

• 6 months later...

Abraham was really expecting God to provide a sacrifice. Abraham knew God is faithful that promises. God told Abraham that his seed could be numbered as the sands of the sea. God also told Abraham to try and count the stars in the heavens, that

• 1 month later...

This is a hard question. First of all, God had told Abraham that a great nation would come from him, and that he would have a son. In that Abraham in fact did have a son means that God had already provided a sacrifice. But if Isaac would have been the sacrifice, there would have been no nation unless God would have given Abraham and Sarah another son. Everything else that God had put Abraham through this far had stretched his faith and increased his trust in God, so I'm guessing that he knew God would keep his covenant, but I bet he was still apprehensive about how God would go about fulfilling it. I think Abraham didn't really know, because if he did, it would not have been an act of faith. Yet I think he was expecting that God would provide.I wonder if Abraham had explained that God had asked this of him to Sarah or if all he said was that they'd be back. Also, when Isaac was tied and put on the alter, I wonder if that was the first he knew what was going on, or if he knew of the child sacrifice customs of other religions already at his age.

This is a good picture of faith for us today. If we believe God is our provider, He will surely put that faith to a test. Even if we're confused and don't understand why, we must continue to do what God says, even if it goes against everything we want to happen. We can't just stop right in the middle of the valley and expect God to come pick us up in a flaming chariot. We have to keep walking through it. I think most importantly, we have to act confidently in the faith we have. Abraham didn't say that he was coming back down the mountain alone.

God will provide for us in all things. I have seen this a lot lately with this whole legal situation my family is in. Money has been really tight and it's amazing to see how God provides, as well as how a lack of money is really a provision in it self. I have learned so much that I wouldn't have learned if I would have still been living the way I was a year or two ago. I have learned so much about contentment and trust. Money is not the only thing that God provides either. There have been many times in my life where I have seen God provide ideas, people in my life to help put me back on track if I have strayed, people in my life for me to help ( and also to teach me things through my helping them), oppertunities to serve, learn, etc., even closed doors which would have lead to problems further on. God's sovreignty and wisdom are completey mindblowing.

• 1 month later...

Do you think Abraham was really expecting God to provide a sacrifice, or that was just what he told Isaac? What support do you have for your position?

Abraham truly did believe and know God would provide a sacrifice. After years of close intimacy of walking, obeying, listening, and commitment to God, Abraham's faith was deep and abiding. He knew, deep within him, the Lord was going to work out events for the good and to His Glory.

Remember, the Lord's ironclad promise earlier to provide Abraham and Sarah with a son from their own biological line. Therefore, even if Abraham literally did sacrifice his son, Isaac, to the death, he realized with God ALL things are possible, even raising his young son from the dead! Besides this, Abraham had seen God's provision in countless ways already.

A recent provision just this past Saturday, was that my cell phone was shut off. I heavily depend upon my cell phone professionally and personally. It was going to be close to another week before I could get it turned back on; yet, God in His mercy, sent the means the same morning I discovered it was shut off. He chose not to let me suffer from what could have been a major setback, after some recent, severe setbacks I'd suffered. Praise my Abba!

In loving reverence and humility, we can expect God to supply ALL of our needs at all times, according to His righteous will, actions, and oversight as King, Loving God, and Father. However, there is a basic condition: we must seek FIRST the kingdom of God and His righteousness, THEN all these things will be added to us. AMEN!

• 2 months later...

I believe that Abraham whole heartedly trusted in his God. So he was willing to do whatever God asked him to do. He did not know what would happen but he obeyed. My favourite part of this story is that you can read Abraham's answer to Isaac in two ways. He says "God will provide himself a lamb" as in God will provide and then prophetically Abraham says "God will provide HIMSELF, a lamb" which He did thousands of years later in the giving of His Son.

• 1 month later...

I think that Abraham believed that God would provide a sacrifice in some way. He trusted and was devoted to God even if it meant sacrificing Isaac. I'm basing my opinion on Genesis 22:1-14. Abraham responded to God's direction without apparent hesitation.

I have received a last-minute provision from God. God provides physical, emotional, and spiritual needs for those who honor Him. For those who have a relationship with Him.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I do believe that Abraham believed God would provide the sacrifice, even if it were Isaac. Abraham acknowledged that God had given Isaac as a gift and that even if he had to offer that gift God had kept every promise He had made to this point and if God promised that Isaac would have children then God would keep that promise even if it meant bringing Isaac back from the dead. We have many times received money or other needs just at the last minute, from the hand of God. As long as we are faithful to trust God to provide for us and remain in His will, He will supply our needs, not necessarily our wants, but when we

• 3 weeks later...

yes i think ABRAHAMknew GOD would provide-GOD made a covenant with ISAAC . GOG talked about ISAAC"S descendant's.he had to grow up to have children. GOD has never let me down. PSALM'S 37-25 tells us ONCE I WAS YOUNG NOW I AM OLD BUT IN ALL MY DAYS I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE RIHTEOUS FORSAKEN OR HIS SEED BEGGING BREAD.

one time my husband and i went to church we only had two dollars to last us untill payday and that was about 3 or 4 days away. we had 2 children to take care of. we went on and put it in the offering. the next morning we got up to go to work there was money laying on his pants. we were the only one's in the house except the little one's. where did it come from ? well we know the devil didnt put it there. we laught and cried what a time of rejoicing.

• 4 months later...

Yes, Abraham was expecting God to provide a sacrifice. The support I have is in Genesis 22:5. "And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ***, and I and the lad will go yonder and worship , AND COME AGAIN UNTO YOU." Abraham knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that God would provide a sacrifice because he knew God would keep his promises concerning Isaac. Yes, I have received a last minute provision from God. God will supply our need in any circumstance. It does not manner what it may be. The only condition is to believe and trust God with our whole heart, claim His promises, confess His word and promises with our mouths, and receive the results.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Genesis 22:1-14) Do you think Abraham was really expecting God to provide a sacrifice, or that was just what he told Isaac?

I believe Abraham believed God would provide a sacrifice, one way or another.

In v.5 he told the servants to wait with the donkey and "I and the young lad will go yonder and worship and we will come again to you." Abraham believed the promise that Isaac's progeny would inherit the promises God made to Abraham.

Yes, Praise God....too many to recount here. The most dramatic was in 1990 during the economic downturn, our house was in foreclosure and homes around us had been abandoned, and left empty. Ours was to be auctioned on the court house steps in a few days, and the Lord had promised He would take care of the situation and told me I was not to ask for help. A man knocked on the door and asked me if he could help us. It was miraculously taken out of foreclosure and the first people to look at it a few days later, bought it and for the asking price! During that dark time there were many instances where we had eaten the food we had left and there was none for the next day. In the morning there would be a box of groceries, soap, toilet tissue, shampoo, dog food, all that we needed and more, on the front porch. No one knew we were out of food but the Lord! Another time we were called by someone who had no idea we needed food...they had had a big company party the night before and ordered too much food. There was an abundance of food left and they wondered if we could help them by taking some of it.....trays of shrimp, fresh pineapple...ambrosia from Heaven to us!

In what circumstances can we expect God to supply our needs?

Whenever we have needs! "And my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:19

Any conditions?

The condition is that there is a need! He cares for the heathen and His children, the birds, fish, and animals. He is Jehovah Jirah...the Lord provides...He's a giving God....even to giving us His Son to die for our sins, before we knew we had a need for salvation.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think Abraham was really expecting God to provide a sacrifice, or that was just what he told Isaac?

I believe that Abraham absolutely believed that TRUSTING GOD was the most important thing.....and that God would provide a sacrifice.

I believe that on that 3 day journey to the mountain, Abraham mused over this in prayer and decided that he was willing to sacrifice his son to the God he had come to trust. This circumstance was a stretching of his faith...a painful growing of his faith in Yahweh. He know that his son was the son "of the promise" of God so God wanted him to have the son. Also, God had promised that his "descendants would be a numerous"...and that Abraham thought that those descendants would come from Isaac...but it could have been that God would give him another son from whom descendants would come. I believe that Abraham had come to the point of trusting God for whatever. A lot of this had to do with reasoning.

On the other hand, I believe that it is possible that when he acted on that trust and made provisions for the sacrifice at the mountain God revealed to him that He would provide another sacrifice. God may have done this in response to Abrahams great faith. The scriptures support this as we read that Ab. told Issac that God would provide.

So, I think that for Abraham it was a progression of trust ending in faith.

Yes. Many times. When I found I had eye cancer (most dangerous form of cancer) I immediately threw my trust to God (isn't that amazing that we can do that?). I was trusting God to provide in whatever ways He would. People prayed, I prayed. I had perfect peace at that time and still do!!! The peace and the trust in God preceded the healing God healed me. I had radiation done at a far-away hospital by a doctor the Lord led me to...and after that 4 day treatment the tumor has continued to shrink for the last 7 years. God is glorified.

There are other times as well. Financially, God has brought in money at the last minute that came from sources I had long forgotten about that were owed me. !! There are other examples of when I have strongly trusted Him and He provided.

I believe that scripture tells us that God will provide for our needs as we seek Him FIRST and His RIGHTEOUSNESS. Those are the conditions.

• 4 months later...

Abraham was sure that God was going to provide. Other wise it would have made his faith invalid. In scripture, when something happens that requires some type of urgency, you see the people or person involved gose directly into praying and fasting or some thing like that. In Abrahams case, he didn't do that. Instead, scripture hints that Abraham was so sure the Lord WILL provide that he slept, cause verse 3 says: "Early the next morning Abraham got up and saddled his donkey." Also, in verse 5 it says: "WE will worship and then WE will come back to you."

Yes Abraham was without a dought sure that God will provide.

Do you think Abraham was really expecting God to provide a sacrifice, or that was just what he told Isaac? What support do you have for your position?

I believe Abraham trusted God, and believed God was Sovereign.Why else would he agree to do such a thing? Only perhaps if he truley did believe God would provide a sacrifice. It takes faith to trust God, but I do not think Abraham knew one way or the other about the outcome.

I had a silly desire one winter day as I did my grocery shopping, I really wanted some flowers. I denied myself though because it was December and extra money was already being spent on gifts. At the registers there were bouquets avaiable for $1.99. I believed God had seen my desire and provided something I could say yes too. I ended up buying one for myself and one to give away. I gave it to a woman right at the store, and was so excited that I immediatly gave away the one I bought for myself. Several hours after I returned home, I received an anonymous delivery of 1 dozen long stemmed red roses with a card that said "Jesus loves you." I believe Jesus sent me flowers that day.

Yes and no on conditions. God does things we don't deserve, however, I think He often honors and rewards obedience.

He didn't think it was out of the norm because child sacrifice was common then. But he believed in God and was faithful to His commands. More than once God has come through, especially in regards to my finances. Praise His name!

• 10 months later...

My vision: he just told Isaac this so he would not run away.

Maybe Abraham thought that God would deliver a sheep or that He would make alive the burned boy.

He trusted in God.