JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Elements of Sacrifice

Basic Elements of Sacrifice form Sin

It is in the book of Leviticus particularly chs.1-7, that the sacrifical system of the O.T is set forth.There were five types of sacrifice in the Tabernacle and later in the temple--burnt offering grain offering, peace or fellowship offering sin(purification)offering, and guilt(reparation)offering. The explaination is in depth. Read all references and the side bar for a full understanding,space and legenth is a problem here. B)

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sin offering is to be without blemish, the laying on of hands (to pass the sin onto the lamb?), the killing, the collection and pouring of the blood, the removal of fat, the burning, and the eating by priests together with the confession of sin.

All of these, in some sense, are still necessary, although the death of an animal is not required. However,

The lamb of God - Jesus - was unblemished by the sin of this world.

We have to connect or identify with the sacrifice that He made (cf laying on of hands).

Jesus, our sacrifice, was killed, and we have to put our carnal nature to death.

His blood was offered to God as His sacrifice for our sin.

The burning could be the cleansing of the Holy Spirit, who first came in tongues of fire.

The eating by priests compares with our taking of the body and the blood in communion, thus identifying with the death of Jesus, and dying to the world and its temptations. Jesus is our high priest, and we are a royal priesthood.

I need to understand the meaning of the removal of fat, but I'm sure it was not fortuitous.

Conscience and confession of sin are still essential.

• 1 month later...

"What are the basic elements involved in a sacrifice of Sin?"

1. Confession

2. Bringing an animal

3. Laying on of hands

4. Slaying the animal

5. Blood is collected by the priest

6. Fat portions given to the priest

7. Meat is eaten by the priests

The only one that is still necessary today is the confession of sin. " I John 1:9 says: "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." It is also written in Luke to forgive, and you will be forgiven.

• 3 months later...

Basic Elements of Sacrifice for Sin

Confession of the sin

Bringing an animal without defect

Laying hands on the animal's head

Slaying the animal

Collecting the blood

Removing the fat portions/burning them on the altar

Meat eaten by the priests

Which are still necessary?

Confession of sin

Which are no longer necessary?

Bringing an animal without defect: Jesus was the sacrifice - for once and for all

Laying hands on the animal's head

Slaying the animal: Jesus was slain...the Lamb of God

Collecting the blood: Jesus collected His own blood and applied it to the Mercy Seat in Heaven

Removing the fat and burning them on the altar: Jesus - He is the sweet smelling savour offered up to God

Meat eaten by the priests

I've a question that's puzzling me to some degree, although the answer may not be of importance to some degree - just one of those ones that may indeed not have an answer this side of heaven.

In the gospels, when Jesus was going about forgiving people of their sins "on the spot" sort of thing, the sacrificial system was still in place to my knowledge - and this was before he became the ULtimate & Final sacrifice - how then was He able to forgive sins without a blood sacrifice beforehand. He demanded that those he healed went and did certain things afterwards, but I don't remember reading Him stating anyone whose sins He'd forgiven had to go and then provide a sacrifice after the fact.

Hope you understand the question in the way I'm struggling with it, although as I say - I'm not going to worry overly on it either, as I know some things we're just not given to understand yet.

Thanks

TKR :D

• 2 months later...

Confession of the sin

Bring an animal to be sacrificed

Slay the animal by cutting its throat

Blood is collected by a priest, put on the horns of the altar, and poured out at the base of the altar

Remove the fat portions, which are given to the priest and burned on the altar

The meat is eaten by the priests in the case of a sin offering

Today, you should still confess your sins and there is a sort of atonement in how you may repent. I am a Catholic who is seeking on my spiritual journey. For me, I would need to confess my sins to a priest, and then repent how I'm told. You're always asked to think about what you've done and take steps in the future to not make the same sins again.

• 1 month later...

The basic elements of sacrifice for sins are as follows: confession of sins, bring an animal without defect, laying on of hands on the head of the animal, killing of the animal, have its blood collected by the priest, its blood put on the horns of the altar and the rest is poured at the base of the altar, fat is removed and burned on the altar, and the meat given to the priest to be eaten.

During these New testament times confession of sins is the only necessary way of forgiveness of sins.

What are not needed or necessary today are the following:

Bringing an animal without defect. Butchering of the animal. Collecting its blood and puting it on the horns of the altar.

Pouring the blood at the foot of the altar. Removing the fat and buring it on the altar. The meat being eaten by the priest.

• 4 weeks later...

I STILL DONT KNOW IF I'VE FULLY GRASPED THE SUFFERING AND CRUELTY JESUS ENDURED FOR US AT THE CROSS.

BASIC ELEMENTS FOR SACRIFICE OF SINS WERE:

CONFESSION OF SIN.

FEMALE LAMB WITHOUT DEFECT.

LAYING ON OF HANDS ON THE ANIMAL'S HEAD

SLAY THE ANIMAL

PLACE SOME BLOOD ON THE HORNS OF THE ALTAR OF BURNT OFFERING.

REST OF THE BLOOD AT THE BASE OF THE ALTAR.

REMOVE FAT AND OFFER TO GOD.

PRIEST MAKES ATONEMENT FOR PERSON'S SIN.

NONE OF THESS ARE NECESSARY ANY LONGER EXCEPT CONFESSING OUR SINS TO GOD.THANK GOD FOR SENDING JESUS AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR US.BECAUSE OF THE BLOOD OF JESUS WE HAVE PEACE, MERCY, REST AND FORGIVENESS OF ALL SINS!!!! TO GOD BE THE GLORY!!

• 2 months later...

Q4. What are the basic elements involved in a sacrifice for sin? (Leviticus 4:32-35; 5:5-6) Which of these are still necessary for forgiveness of sins today? Which are no longer necessary? Why?

Confession of the sin, an animal with no defect, laying on of hands to the animal, killing the animal by slitting its throat, collect the blood, remove t he fat and burn it on the altar, priests eat the meat.

Today we still need to confess our sins. We don't kill the animal because Jesus has become our sacrifice. He has become our substitute, We need to recognize this and accept it.

• 3 weeks later...
Q4. What are the basic elements involved in a sacrifice for sin? (Leviticus 4:32-35; 5:5-6) Which of these are still necessary for forgiveness of sins today? Which are no longer necessary? Why? Exposition

If he brings a lamb as his sin offering, he is to bring a female without defect,He is to lay his hand on its head and slaughter it for a sin offering at the place where the burnt offering is slaughtered.

None of this is necessary anymore as Jesus was the sacrifical Lamb, and we confess our sins and ask forgiveness.( THANKYOU JESUS.)

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. What are the basic elements involved in a sacrifice for sin? (Leviticus 4:32-35; 5:5-6) Which of these are still necessary for forgiveness of sins today? Which are no longer necessary? Why?

1. Confession of the sin

2. Animal without defect for sacrifice

3. Laying on of hands of the sinner

4. Slaying of the animal by cutting its throat

5. Blood collected, put on the horns and poured out at

the altar

6. Removal of fat portions

Confession of our sins and asking for forgiveness is still needed for the blood of Christ (who was perfectP has already been shed for our sins.

• 2 weeks later...

What are the basic elements involved in a sacrifice for sin? (Leviticus 4:32-35; 5:5-6) Which of these are still necessary for forgiveness of sins today? Which are no longer necessary? Why?

The basic elements involved in a sacrifice for sin are: Confession of the sin, animal without defect to be sacrificed; laying on of hands of the sinner; slaying of the animal by cutting its throat; blood collected, put on the horns and poured out at the altar; removal of fat portions.

The elements that are still necessary for forgiveness of sins today are confession and forgiveness of the sin, because the blood of Christ has been shed for our sins.

The basic elements needed for forgiveness of sins depicted in Lev 4:32-35 and 5:5,6 are the sheep, laying their hand upon its head, slaughtering it, then sprinkling the blood and pouring it out, also removing the lamb/sheep's fat and burning it upon the alter. Also confession of the sin is required.

As Hebrews 10:1and 2 declare,"The old system in the law of Moses was only a shadow of the things to come, not the reality of the good things Christ has done for us. The sacrifices under the old system were repeated again and again, year after year, but they were never able to provide perfect cleansing for those who came to worship. If they could have provided perfect cleansing the sacrifices would have stopped, for the worshippers would have been purified once for all time, and their feelings of guilt would have disappeared.

Every aspect of these things points to a superior reality in Christ His body His blood Him bearing our sins upon His own body on the tree(1pet 2:24) I suppose the fat being burned up could possibly stand for God's judgement consuming the sin and of course our confession of sin is vital as we look in faith to Christ's sacrifice.

If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.(1Jn1:9) Oh that God would open our eyes to His great salvation!

• 2 months later...

Q. What are the basic elements involved in a sacrifice for sin?

A. 1. afemale lamb without blemish

2. he is to lay his hand on the head of the lamb and slay it where they kill the burnt offering.

3. the priest shall take the blood of the lamb on his finger and put it upon the horns of the altarof the burnt offering and pour out all the blood

at the bottom of the altar.

4. He shall take away all the fat and the priest shall burn them upon the

altar.

5. the priest must make an atonement for his own sin and he will be forgiven.

6. a soul must confess that he has sinned.

Q. Which of these are still necessary for forgiveness of sins today?

A. We still the blood of a lamb without blemish to receive forgiveness of sin

whih is supplied to us through the Lord Jesus Christ who died at Calvary.

We must confess our sin in order to receive forgiveness.

Q. Which is no longer necessary?

A. the burning of the fat? And sacrificing lambs with the help of an earthly

priest.

Q. Why?

A. Because Jesus Christ is all we need. He was the ultimate sacrifice.

• 3 months later...

As always, I stand in awe of our Precious God! His timing always lifts my heart and my soul to higher places! I am the Prayer Leader at my Church, Christ The King, and I have been doing a study on The Lamb of God with His Intercessors.

We began in the Garden of Eden with the slaying of an animal, whose skin would cover Adam and Eve after they had sinned. We went from there to the mountain, where Abram proved his love for the God Most High, by his willingness to sacrifice his precious son Isaac. What a beautiful portrait of The One that would be the final Sacrifice; God's Own Son, Jesus Christ.

We then studied the Passover and the slaying of the innocent lambs; LAMBS THAT WERE WITHOUT BLEMISH. We found another Word Picture of The Innocent Lamb of God, Whose Blood would one day cover us and protect us from harm.

From there, we peeked in on God calling for the firstborn of the children and flocks of Israel to be redeemed with the blood of a lamb. What a hugh contrast to the slaying of the firstborn of Egypt; both man and beast.

Our next visit is going to be in Leviticus and the study of the five types of sacrifices; and the basis elements of sacrifice came up as my question for today! I have been a little slow in this Study; I have so many responsibilites at Church. Yet, I can see The Hand of God moving as I settle myself in with the excellent teaching of Pastor Ralph, and the eye-opening responses from my fellow travelers in this Study.

What are the basic elements of sacrifice?

Leviticus 4:27 speaks about "sin through ignorance." When the person came to know they had sinned, they would bring an offering "to the door of the tabernacle of the congregation before The LORD. Verse 32 specified that if the person brought "a lamb for a sin offering; HE SHALL BRING A FEMALE WITHOUT BLEMISH. AND HE SHALL LAY HIS HAND UPON THE HEAD OF THE SIN OFFERING IN THE PLACE WHERE THEY KILL THE BURNT OFFERING." THE ANIMAL WOULD THEN BE KILLED.

Then the priest would take "the blood of the sin offering with his finger, and put it upon the horns of the altar." THE PRIEST WOULD THEN "POUR OUT ALL THE BLOOD AT THE BOTTOM OF THE ALTAR."

THE FAT WOULD BE BURNED UPON THE ALTAR and the priest would make atonement for the man's sin, and he would be forgiven.

Leviticus 6:26 says of the sin offering, "THE PRIEST THAT OFFERS IT SHALL EAT IT: IN THE HOLY PLACE SHALL IT BE EATEN, IN THE COURT OF THE TABERNACLE OF THE CONGREGATION."

In Leviticus Chapter 5:5-6, The Word says that if a man is quilty of sin, "HE SHALL CONFESS THE SIN," and bring his tresspass offering to The Lord...and the priest shall make an atonement for him..."

Pastor Ralph has asked us, "Which of these (basic elements) are still necessary for forgiveness of sins today?" What is necessary for us through The Atonement of The Lamb is THE CONFESSION OF SIN." All the other elements were only a prelude to Christ's death on the Cross, where He is both Priest and Sacrificial Lamb.

I would like to close with Pastor Ralph's words under the Title, "FORGIVENESS AND GRACE OF GOD..."

"There is a real sense in which God uses THE SACRIFICIAL SYSTEM to teach the Jews lessons of sin, holiness, confession, forgiveness, sin's costliness, and sin's horror. God, in His mercy, allows these sacrifices to purge their sins, BUT THE ONLY FULLY ADEQUATE SACRIFICE FOR SIN IS STILL TO COME."

His Name is Jesus, The Glorious Lamb of God, Amen and amen!

blessings, elsie

The basic elements involved in a sacrifice for sin are:

Confession of Sin

A female lamb without defect

One who sinned must lay his hand on head of animal to be slain(identification with and

transference of sin)

One who sinned must slaughter the animal

Priest take some of the blood with his fingers and put on horns of altar, pouring out

rest of blood at base of altar

Burn fat of lamb

Meat eaten by priest

The parts that are still necessary today are confession of the sin, and identification with Jesus, our perfect Lamb, realizing that in Him comes the atonement for our sins. Animal sacrifice is no longer necessary, since Christ is the only One who could truly take away our sins.

• 1 month later...

The elements of sacrifice are:

confession--still very needful for us today--to keep "fessed up" with God. This keeps our relationship with Him open.

perfect sacrifice--Praise God! Jesus was the perfect sacrifice for all time.

laying our hands on the sacrifice

slaying it

dipping the blood

separating the fat

eating the meat

having someone stand in the gap for us

All these last ones are not needful for us today. Jesus gave his body & blood for us on the cross. It doesn't need to be done again.

• 3 months later...

The basic element was the people to be aware of their sins , known or unknown sins and repent from them .

This act were meaningless unless done for the right reasons .Today we often make rituals of going to Church , taking Communion , or paying tithes . This activities are empty if our reasons for doing them are selfish. God does not want these sacrifices and offering without an attitude of devotion to Him .

The Dead of Jesus Christ was the final sin offering in the Bible , we do not need any more .

• 6 months later...

1) AN female animal with no physical defect

2) lay of hands on the head

3) offer a burnt offering

4) priest dip his finger in the blood

5)pour out the blood on the alter

Now though Christ... He was without blame and knew no sin but HIS blood was shed for our sins so we might be redeemed though HIM

Before Christ coming and sheding of His blood the pepole had to constantly bring an animal to sacrific.

When Christ died it was forever.

No more shedding of blood for our redemption.

Jesus paid the extreme price for our sins and though His shedding of blood we now have our sins blotted out forever.

Q4. What are the basic elements involved in a sacrifice for sin? (Leviticus 4:32-35; 5:5-6)

The basic elements involved in a sacrifice for sin were:

Confession of the sin by the sinner.

Sacrificing an animal that has no defect.

The priest collecting the blood of the sacrifice and putting it on the horns of the altar, and pouring some out at the base of the altar.

The priest also receiving the fat portions, which were to be burned on the altar. In addition, he was to eat the meat in case of a sin offering.

Which of these are still necessary for forgiveness of sins today?

The only element that is still necessary for the forgiveness of sins today is confession of sin .

Which are no longer necessary? Why?

The sacrificing of animals is no longer necessary, and also the duties of the priest at the sacrifice are no longer necessary. These are no longer necessary because Jesus, our substitute Lamb, took the place of the sacrifice and atoned for the "sin of the world."

• 6 months later...

Confession of the sin (5:5)

Bringing an animal that has no defect that might decrease its market value (4:32). It must be healthy and whole or it is not fit to offer to God. An animal like this could be rather costly, though a poor person might bring a pair of pigeons or doves instead.

Lay his hands on its head (4:33a). There seems to be a sense in which the offerer's sin is imparted to the animal through the laying on of hands (see Leviticus 16:21).

Slay the animal by cutting its throat (4:33b).

Blood is collected by a priest, put on the horns of the altar, and poured out at the base of the altar (4:34)

Remove the fat portions, which are given to the priest and burned on the altar (4:35). (In the case of burnt offerings, the entire animal would be burned on the altar.)

The meat is eaten by the priests in the case of a sin offering (6:24-29). (In case of a peace or fellowship offering, most of the meat would be eaten by the offerer and his family as a kind of sacred meal.)

Today, we must still confess our sins to God claiming the Blood of Jesus Christ as our animal sacrifice for the giveness of our sins. We eat of the sacrifice when we participate in the Lord's Supper.

Animal sacrifice and all that goes into the preparation are not necessary because of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross for the atonement of human sin.

• 3 months later...

First, It MUST be a female of the flock. It must be without blemish. YOU must place your hand on it's head. I believe this is symbolic of accepting that this is YOUR sin (confessing). It must be done with a priest at the spot where the burnt offering is slaughtered, in like way We must go to the Cross (an alter). It does no good to confess our sin to the world, we must go to God through Jesus. The Priest then take the blood, puts some on the alter as no doubt Jesus' blood was on the Cross. The rest of the blood gets poured onto the ground at the alter. Because of the sacrifice of Jesus we only have to Come to God through Jesus, confess our sins and repent.

• 3 weeks later...

What are the basic elements involved in a sacrifice for sin? (Leviticus 4:32-35; 5:5-6) Which of these are still necessary for forgiveness of sins today? Which are no longer necessary? Why?

For the Hebrews, the basic elements of a sin sacrifice are confession, the transfer of the sin to the sacrificed animal by the laying on of hands, the slaying of the animal, and the rituals then provided by the priests.

Can you imagine the horror of the atoner as he (is this something that women were a part of?) confessed and saw the blood of an innocent lamb being poured out for him? The confession we still must do...and this in itself is sometimes hard...we humans like to justify our actions, too much, I think. But I think we have to see spiritually, our Christ, and His human blood shed for us, to be truly contrite and repentent. (Lest we forget!) The sacrifice of animals was only a way that God had to help the Israelites deal with their sin and ask forgiveness. After the ultimate sacrifice, that is no longer necessary.

The "laying on of hands" as a way of transfer was an interesting concept for me. In my particular religion, we have several rituals that involve laying on of hands. One of them is a form of healing. As a younger woman, I had that done to me unsuccessfully for the healing I wanted and for many years I felt guilty about it...that I thought I had enough faith but I must not have. Then one day, I was asked to speak to a religious group. In preparation, several of my friends laid their hands on me and prayed for me. That worked! I have never been so filled with the Holy Spirit....I believe that I could have sung, danced, and spoken in tongues if I had been asked. I keep thinking back to the first experience. Was it me who lacked faith? Was it the person who was praying? Or did God say "NO" because He had made plans to use my ailment in another way?

• 2 weeks later...

Then:

Confession of sin

Bringing an animal that has no defect

Lay his hands on its head

Slay the animal by cutting its throat

Blood is collected by a priest, put on the horns of the altar, and poured out at the base of the altar

Remove the fat portions, which are given to the priest and burned on the altar

The meat is eaten by the priests in the case of a sin offering.

Now:

Confession of sin

The Lamb of God has taken on the other elements and provided atonement for our sins through his sacrifice on the cross.

• 3 weeks later...

From Leviticus, the basic elements involved in a sacrifice for sin are:

Confession of the sin. Atonement cannot begin without naming the sin.Giving up an animal that is as close to unblemished as you can get. Obviously, this represents a physical sacrifice for the sinner; such an animal would surely have been very valuable.Interestingly, the laying on of hands...in this case on the animal's head. One post mentioned this was to identify the sinner's sin with the animal. It certainly personalized the sacrifice as the sinner must have felt the emotions of the animal--fear, no doubt--and may have somehow gotten in touch with the event on a very emotional level.Then the slaying of the animal, by slitting its throat. Other posts for other questions have addressed the point that an agricultural community likely found this less repulsive than most of us would now. Yet given the sinner had given voice to the sin, felt the animal's fear, and now kills it a fairly violent way must have been an experience that was upseting even to an experienced shepherd. I think this part clearly could draw the sinner into what was taking place much more viscerally than a simple verbal confession. Then the blood is collected for use at the altar by a priest. You can't help but visualize just how bloody that altar must have been! And the smell! This sacrifice at a place as large as the temple must have been an overwhelming experience. Alas, as in all things, we become accustomed to things. Perhaps for the Jews, this practice was just another day at the office. Imagining it from here, though, it seems it would have a very large impression on one.The fat portions were removed by the priest, and burned on the altar. That must have been another bloody affair. Then the burning of the fat, though it may have been akin to the smell of barbeque, must have been overwhelming and constant! This way of dealing with our sins just seems so huge to me! This form of sacrifice/confession is very far removed from our corporate confession of sin, and it incorporates elements of our private confessions as well. Looking back, it seems it would have been a great deterrent to sin. I'd say there is really nothing that can keep us from sinning.The priests could then eat the meat in the case of a sin offering. Burnt offerings consumed all the meat. For peace and fellowship offerings, a family might share the meat as a meal. For the sin offering, though, it seems like there is only so much meat the priests could eat. Once satisfied, it would seem there would be a lot of meat wasted. One wonders what they did with it all.