JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Teaching the Atonement

The words that make me think of Jesus' atoning sacrifice during the Lord's Supper are "given", "broken for" and "poud out". These words show that Jesus was referring to a sacrifice He would make on our behalf and that sacrifice was to be made with His body and His blood.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. Which action words used to describe the elements of the Lord's Supper, teach us that we are to be thinking of Jesus' sacrifice of atonement, when we partake of the Lord's Supper?

I believe that all of them teach us that we are to be thinking of Jesus sacrifice when we partake.

Jesus gave His body to be broken and His blood poured out in order that we could be forgiven and participate in fellowship with Him at the table.

Broken: He allowed Himself to be reduced to nothing, so we could become like Him, because, if not for Him, we would be worth nothing.

Given: He confirmed what His mission was, to give Himself up for our sins, so that in Him, we would be sinless.

Forgiveness: this was the greatest gift the sacrifice made, forgiving us.

Which action words used to describe the elements of the Lord's Supper, teach us that we are to be thinking of Jesus' sacrifice of atonement, when we partake of the Lord's Supper?

Matthew 26:26-28 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. (KJV)

Action words are : take, eat, drink.

Mark 14: 22-24 And as they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it, and gave to them, and said, Take, eat: this is my body. And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it. And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many. (KJV)

Action words are: take & eat.

Luke 22:17-20 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:

For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come. And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

Action words are: Take this, divide it among yourselves, (share)

Jesus is the bread of life. (John 6:48 I am that bread of life. KJV) His desire is that not one person perish. In John 3:16, we see that God so loved this world that He gave His only son , that who so ever... believes on Him, that they should not perish. Everyone has an opportunity to take and eat of the bread of life.

John 6:51

I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world. (KJV)

When ever we take and eat, we are in effect, doing this in accordance of what He wanted us to do. That is to remember what He did and why He did this for us. I believe that by doing this, it takes us back to the focus of the fact that eternity is awaiting us. This is the reconciliation of God and man through the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ. This is the reparation for the offense of sin which has caused us to be separated from God, and the atonement is the satisfaction to God, that brings us back to Him.

In the passage of Luke regarding the passover supper before the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ, he writes that it was said to divide this bread among yourselves. (vs 22 of Chapter 17) This is just a difference of wording not mentioned before by either Matthew or Mark, but Luke, who is the Doctor and pays attention to detail, mentions that it was said to share this bread. I like that because that wording, reminds me that we are to share the bread of life with all those who are on our path , here in the wilderness, that we call earth.

:) [color=#CC33CC ALL HAVE ANS. IT VERY WELL. PTL THE WORDS: GIVEN;BROKEN;POUR OUT; FORGIVENESS. ALL ENTER MY MINE AND HEART AS I PARTAKE IN THE LORDS SUPPER. JUST REJOICING AND FULL OF THANKSGIVNG. KNOWING OUR HEAVENLY FATHER ALLOWED HIS PRESCIOUS SON TO LIVE AND THEN DIED FOR MY SINS. GOD IS AWESOME.

I THINK THE WORDS ARE BROKEN, GIVEN, POURED OUT. THE WORDS THEMSELVES REMIND US OF HIS PHYSICAL BODY WHICH WAS LASHED THIRTY- NINE TIMES AND HIS BLOOD WHICH WAS POURED OUT FOR FROGIVENESS OF SINS.THESE WORDS ALL REFER TO HIS SACRIFICE FOR US SO THAT WE COULD FELLOWSHIP WITH HIM...

"Take, eat and drink" are words that tell us we have physical involvement in the passover sacrifice. Physical involvement enables or activates a more powerful mind process and totality involvement. We see totality of involvement at the football and the races, but it isnot limited to those scenarios! I think this is seen in intercessory prayer when prayer involves total body participation, and worship is with all the heart, mind, soul and strength - that's physical action as well as mental. That is how Father asks us to worship in Spirit and in Truth. What theSpirit is doing affects the body movement. It can bring laughter, tears, dance, handclapping, kneeling, prostration, physically responding to what is seen in thespiritual realm,eg laying hands on maps, lifting hands to receive a gift in the spiritual realm, all sorts of unexpected activities according to the events in the Spirit. "Take, eat and drink" invite this total participation in the cross as the Bride of Christ, not separated from Him but united with Him in His passion for souls.

"Do this in remembrance of Me" indicate that our thoughts and body language are to be totally attuned to what we are involved in, totally knowledgeable that we are participants in the holy sacrifice of Jesus, not transgressing that holy appointment.

In the same way, the words "poured ot, broken, forgive, give thanks, given, are to be descriptions of us, the children of God and the Bride of the Christ, if we are to enter into the presence of Jesus at HolyCommunion.

The words "given", "broken for", "poured out", and "forgiveness" should make us all think of the sacrifice that Jesus made so we can have the forgiveness of our sins and be able to go to heaven. Jesus specifically tells us to do this in REMEMBRANCE of Him.

"Take, eat"- Jesus commands us every time we approach the Table - to remember what he has accomplished for us on the Cross through the taking and the eating of the bread.

"Drink from it, all of you" - Jesus gives us the command to drink that we might remember that because of His Blood that was poured out on the Cross our sins are forgiven.

What a blessed meal.

Broken and Poured Out.

This is the evidence that Jesus Christ ransom sacrifice was to save us from sin. He shed his blood for us and with that we should all be thankful and follow what is required of us to be True Christians to give of ourselves just like Jesus did.

I have been studying the patristic church lately and would like to share something I recently learned. The earliest Christians did not consider themselves followers of a new religion. All their lives they had been Jews and they still where. This was true of Peter and the 12, the 7 and of Paul. They engaged in temple worship and kept the Sabbath. They added to this the observance of the first day of the week, when they gathered in their homes to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus through the Lord's Supper. This early pattern Sunday Resurrection Celebrations eventually led to Sunday usurping Saturday Sabbath.

The apostolic perspective was that the messianic error had begun and it was time to celebrate! In light of our question today, it is interesting to note that the shift in focus from victory to his death and sacrifice did not occur until centuries later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Action words used to describe the elements of the Lord's Supper:

"Given"-We are to remember that Jesus gave up His life for our sins.

"Poured out"-We are to remember that Jesus' blood was poured out as an atonement our sin.

"Forgiveness"-We are to remember that because of Jesus' sacriface on the cross, we can receive forgivevess from sin, if we trust Him as our Savior.

"Broken for"-We are to remember that Jesus body was broken for us, that He took upon Himself the penalty for sin that we deserve.

Q3. Which action words used to describe the elements of the Lord's Supper, teach us that we are to be thinking of Jesus' sacrifice of atonement, when we partake of the Lord's Supper?

Broken for and poured out

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The two words are "given" and "shed" meaning Christ's body "given" for

you; Christ's blood "shed" for you.

The action words that point out the and give relevance to the Lords' suppeer are those indicated BY

the forum of being, POURED OUT, BROKEN, FORGIVE THEM.

tRULY EXPRESS THE CLIMATIC OUTCOME OF ALL THAT GOD DID FOR HIS CREATION. , WITH THE FINAL WORDS , "FATHER, FORGIVE THEM, FOR THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO".