JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q6. Lessons from Sacrifice

Q6. What do you think God intended animal sacrifice teach us about sin? About holiness? About God's nature?

The animal sacrifice instituted by God taught mankind the three most important things they needed to know about life. 1. Sin separates us from God and carries a penalty. 2. Our God is a Holy God and cannot abide sin. 3. Though Our God abhors sin He will always love the sinner and has made a way possible for us all to restore our relationship with Him.

1. Jesus said "But unless you repent, you too will all perish" (Luke 13:3)

Peter preached "Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out" (Acts 3:19)

2. Joshua said to the people, "You are not able to serve the LORD. He is a holy God; he is a jealous God. He will not forgive your rebellion and your sins" (Josh 24:19)

3. "This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants ALL men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth" (1 Tim 2:2-4) "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16-17)

I praise and thank our Holy God that He would save a wretch like me. :wub:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B) Sacrifices... Holiness... Nature? I read the Pastor's comment on this one... and I find two words that stood out in my mind... SEVERITY AND HORROR. Each time a sacrifice having to be severed (cut through and bled), like severing our sin or sins. The Discipline, time involved, the overall view of the sacrifice led me to realize the Purity needed in one's heart. And then to think that our sins actually do this very thing to us... severs the relationship we have with God. How I would have come to hate the sins of the offered sacrifices after having to present myself to God before the horns of the bull and then having to sever the sacrifice and follow the exact laws God had spoke... it would have made me realize the sickness and nausea of sin. This is what we must be willing to do... hate the sins/wickedness, yet love thy neighbor.

Thank God our Holiness can only be obtained through Him.

His nature? All I can say is that one scripture comes to mind... Jesus saying "how long must I bear with this generation"? He has been Forebearing for generations, and if we should also forebear with Him quite possibly we will also learn His Holiness. Looooooooongsuffering. Only because He loves us so.

Question 6.

Answer: A).- That sin produces responsability and debt before God and thet it should be paid through innocent blood.

B).- Holiness; should be the kind of christian living, not an option; sometimes we think: "today I will be holy", do we think, we can hide before God?, God said: "Be holy..." and that is an imperative, there is no choice, we have to be holy, speak holy, walk holy and think holy.

C).- He's Righteous, Holy, but also He's Love and Merciful.

May the Lord keeps blessing you all.

Hector Villarreal W. - Jesus is the Lord of Mexico !!

Animal sacriface teaches us that sin has a price. When someone sins either the sinner or a substitute must pay for the sin. God is holy and is unable to look upon sin. Jesus is the only being perfect enough to actually atone for sin-once and for all.

My heart tells me that to sacrifice an animal to God was a gesture of Trust. Animals represented wealth, security, and food. To give one up showed a laying down of daily concerns to know God.

As for sin, it is us who move away from God in sin. God is still waiting for us to return and mend the trust we have broken. I feel animal sacrifice is God's way of reminding us to Trust Him. That we may freely lay down our money, security and even food and allow Him to provide for us.

In my heart, I believe that God never needed the animal sacrifice to accept us. Like many things God asks of us, He asked not so much for Himself, but for us, the sinner to be returned. We need the sacrifice. The act of giving up our sin, the routine of recognizing it and atoning for it, the security of knowing that we again feel close to God. Who has never left us.

Thank you God. Thank You Jesus.

What do you think God intended animal sacrifice teach us about sin? About holiness? About God's nature?

I think God intended animal sacrifice to teach us that sin is very serious business. It seperates us from our relationship with God, with His community, it makes us "unclean" and ultimately it results in our death. Sin could only be taken care of by the death of a pure, unblemished animal--pointing to the ultimate sacrifice provided by Jesus. Sin required the sheddng of blood and the mediating work of a priest to set someone right before God--again, Jesus shed his blood and is our High Priest. We also have to confess our sin and identify with our sacrifice (Jesus).

The sacrifices teach us that holiness cannot coexist with uncleanness. WE must be absolutely cleansed of all impurities before we can stand before a Holy God. They also teach us a lot more about God than just His holiness and intolerance of sin. They also show His mercy in allowing a way for us to come close to Him.

In my opinion God wants us to realise that animal sacrifice could not full redeem us from sin, that it was only temporary. It also taught us about the severity of sin and it's consequences. None of us is holy, we can only aspire to holiness through Christ's help. With regard to the nature of God it demonstrates God's love for us.

Q6. What do you think God intended animal sacrifice teach us about sin? About holiness? About God's nature?

I think that God wants us to know that ONLY BLOOD, and a life (as the life is in the blood) can take away sin. It took the blood of His dearly beloved Son to take away the sin of the world.

God cannot abide sin becasue He is so Holy. Holiness cannot have filthiness colese by.

That God so loved the world that He GAVE His only begotton Son that whoever believes on Him shall not die but have eternal life. If thats not love I don't know what is.

:D

By sacrifice, God intended for us to realize the cost and repulsiveness of sin.

God is a righteous and holy and without our sins being forgiven, we wouldn't and can't, approach Him in a way that is pleasing to Him.

The fact that God allowed animals and Jesus to be sacrificed shows His mercy. The fact that this was required that our sins be forgiven shows how offensive sin is to Him.

• 3 weeks later...

These sacrifices showed us that being forgiven was a costly affair, we could never attain God's standard of holiness on our own, and that God is the Holy, merciful, forgiving Father.

He made a provision for sinful man to approach Him before the coming of Jesus through the blood of the lamb -only Jews - and He sent His beloved Son for ALL mankind. That is so awesome!

What do you think God intended animal sacrifice teach us about sin? About holiness? About God's nature?

:rolleyes:

I believe that God had the animal sacrifice as a law to keep His people aware of sin. Those lost are not aware of sin and God did not want His people lost. Though, we are all God's people .. Those lost after the death and ressurection, refuse to accept the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

We can have faith and we can have charity apart from God - we have faith in many things and can be charitable in many things - but we cannot have holiness apart from God. Jesus was holiness. Holiness is a state of being and the opposite of uncleanness (1TH.4:7). We inherit this "holiness" or state of being when we accept Jesus as Lord and Savior. We could not have inherited this "holiness" without the death of Christ.

I believe the very nature of God is love and also law. The death of Jesus was this love and law in action.

• 5 months later...

That our sin must be taken into account and paid for. That God desires for us to be holy not make alot of sacrifices. Gods nature is forgiving and merciful but we are still to strive not to sin.

Alicia

• 2 weeks later...

What does animal sacrifice teach us about sin?

The sacrifices represented the final and efficacious sacrifice of Jesus; shedding His blood to make full and complete atonement for sin (see Ps. 40:6). The fire in the animal sacrifices reprents the consuming wrath of God that comes upon the animal and not the offerer.

About holiness?

That we must live by Gods' highly moral commandments, to be set apart for His religious purpose.

About His nature?

That He will not tolerate any kind of sin, or excuse for being ignorant. There is no transferring of sin now folks, lets quit adding to Jesus' stripes. "Be ye there fore perfect". God wouldn't tell us to do something we could not. Sin is a choice. "There hath no temptation taken you except that which is common to man...."

• 2 months later...

What do I think God's provision of animal sacrifice teach us about sin?

that for the Old testament people to have their sin removed, the people had to sacrifice animals for their sin. This way they would be able to enter into the holy of holies.

About holiness?

We can't enter into God's throne room with sin.

About God's nature?

There are animals that were born with defects, some perfect, some to eat and others to birth other animals. All animals are created for a purpose, just like we humans were created for a purpose. Some animals are suppose to live, some for food, and other animals are suppose to be sacrificed.

• 2 months later...

Q6. What do you think God intended animal sacrifice teach us about sin?

I think that He wanted us to realize that the penalty for sin is death. When we sin, payment must be made.

About holiness?

God is holy, and if we want to be with Him, we have to be holy too - and without sin. We have to accept the sacrifice that He sent to us.

About God's nature?

God is a God of Love, and He wants no one to be separated from Him because of sin. Because of this awesome Love, He sacrificed His only Son so we could choose salvation. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

What do you think God intended animal sacrifice teach us about sin?

Sin has a cost and a price and that price is death and sin is an offence to God.

About holiness?

God is so holy that sin can't be tolerated in His sight and that we are separated from Him and unable to approach and stand in His presence because of our sins.

About God's nature?

God is holy, righteous, just, compassionate, merciful, faithful, loving, forgiving and gracious.

It's because of God's nature that He gave animal sacrifice and in the fullness of time His Son so that justice is accomplished, all of our sins are atoned so that we can be reconciled to God and be able to approach and stand in His presence once again.

GOD intended to show us by animal sacrifice that when Adam and Even disobeyed and sinned they were separated from a holy and righteous GOD. They died spiritually, they were separated from GOD. They tried to cover their sin with fig leaves, but GOD rejected their efforts and covered them with the skins of animals. Was this the first animal sacrifice? Mankind tries to come to GOD in his own way, but that is unacceptable. We must come to GOD His way. GOD has provided our covering through the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ.

GOD is holy and righteous and cannot tolerate sin in His presence. But through the blood of our Lord Jesus Christ we can stand in His presence.

• 4 weeks later...

SIN is costley. Not only in the physical sense but it separates you from God. God in his righteous mercy provided the means by which we could be brought back into right standing with him through sacrifice.We were made in the likeness of Jesus so that we all could walk with him in his glory and be with the father. God loved you and I so much that he couldnt stand our being separated from him and not being able to fellowship with him so he provided the most costly sacrifice he could. His only begotten Son Jesus. I can not in my wildest dreams see myself giving one of my children to go through the brutel beating for your sin or mine and then be nailed to a cross. What mercy and what love.

• 2 months later...

I actually answered a lot of this in the last question. Basically the blood is the life of an animal. When Adam sinned he lost his Life, as represented by the pouring out of the blood of the sacrificed animal. No animal can really represent a man, so animal sacrifice is only to teach the reality of death as a consequence of sin. Christ, our Redeemer, is sacrificed for us.

Holiness is represented by the unblemished lamb. Humanity is blemished and no man can satisfy the requirements of God. Therefore God is unsatisfied until we offer the living sacrifice of Jesus, the second Adam, for our sin offering. In other words we come under the covering of the blood of Jesus.

God's nature is uncompromising holiness, and uncompromising Love (in that He provided everything needed for our reconciliation, as He did for Abraham who was ready to sacrifice Isaac). All we have to do is love and honour Him in spirit and in truth.

• 5 months later...

What do you think God intended animal sacrifice teach us about sin?

That He is serious about sin and the fact that sin must be atoned for. H eintended to show us that any shedding of blood is a serious matter to him because life is taken. How humbling that should be for us. That, back then, life was taken to atone for human beings' sin....the life of lowly animals..for us?..Then, the life of the awesome Son of God was taken for us - lowly humans, in comparison to the Son of God?!

About holiness?

That He cannot and will not tolerate even the 'smallest' of sins. He is totally holy and expects us to be the same and when we fall short He has made the provision necessary for us to be forgiven and cleansed.

About God's nature?

That He is loving, and serious! Merciful but never compromising His holy nature.

• 2 months later...

You had to take one of your best animals, completely w/o flaw. So for many, that could cost them a lot. It was a sacrifice not only of the animal, but you could be sacrificing a meal, or whatever it could've been traded for. Made them think twice, maybe, about committing that sin again, because it did, in fact, cost them.

Holiness - Taught them that sinning was not holy. That to be unholy you had to pay a price.

God is a loving and forgiving power. That He expects His children to be as much like him as humanly possible and confess to any sins. That although you have sinned, you have also repented, and therefore are once again one of his faithful flock.

• 1 month later...

ANIMAL SACRIFICES WERE MEANT TO SHOW US THE COST AND SUFFERING OF SINS.THAT THE INNOCENT WOULD ATONE FOR THE GUILTY .THAT LIFE'S BLOOD HAD TO BE SHED BEFORE THEY COULD STAND IN THE PRESENCE OF ALMIGHTY GOD.

THE WORD SAYS BE YE HOLY AS I AM HOLY..

SINCE THAT CAN BE DIFFICULT BECAUSE WE DO SIN, CHRIST MADE PROVISION ON THE CROSS FOR TRUE REPENTANCE.THE ONLY WAY FOR US TO STAND BEFORE A HOLY GOD IS FORGIVENESS OF SINS THROUGH THE SHEDDING OF HIS HOLY BLOOD.

HE SHOWS HIS NATURE OF UNCONDITIONAL, AGAPPE LOVE AND MERCY TOWARD US ..HE SHOWS US HOW MUCH HE LOVES AND ACCEPTS US AS HIS BELOVED BY FORGIVING US. NO WONDER THE APOSTLE PAUL SAID IN ROMANS CHAPTER EIGHT THAT NOTHING CAN EVER SEPARATE US FROM THE LOVE OF GOD WHICH IS IN CHRIST JESUS....GOD BLESS...

• 2 months later...

Animal sacrifice teaches us how costly sin is, it costs the most precious gift there is, the gift of life. God is holy, He cannot allow unholiness, the uncleaness of sin to live. The scripture says the wages of sin is death, it is what we deserve, but God is so merciful and loving, He desires us to live and be close to Him so much that He sent His own Son to die on our behalf.