JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (Ephesians 2:1-3) In what sense are our non-believing friends, neighbors, and relatives "dead"? What's the difference between us and them? If we really believed that they were "dead" and subject to God's "wrath," what would we do?

Those who are non-believing are "dead" in the sense they will be separated from God forever. It doesn't mean a physical death...but a spiritual death. One of their biggest mistakes is believing when they die in this world, that is their end...but it's only the beginning of a long time, eternity in fact, of torture and pain. And I believe the worst thing for them will be that they will have finally recognized the importance of accepting Jesus Christ as their Savior...they will beg to be forgiven...and God will turn his eyes away.

Since we all sin every day, even we believers...the difference is that God forgave us at the Cross when His Son died for all sin, past-present-future, of his children. Do I sin all the more because I know I'm already forgiven.......of course not...but I'm more aware of the times I do sin and quickly ask forgiveness. The unbeliever doesn't know this is the path we must travel...and his sins go unforgiven. Yes, we are all sinners but we believers are forgiven sinners!

Our hearts should pour out God's love and His Word to those who have not taken that step to change their lives into eternal salvation. We should be ever ready with His Word on our tongues to guide that person to their own salvation. We can't "save" a person, but we can plant the seed for God to water as He sees fit.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Ephesians 2:1-3) In what sense are our non-believing friends, neighbors, and relatives "dead"? What's the difference between us and them? If we really believed that they were "dead" and subject to God's "wrath," what would we do?

The non-believers are dead spiritually.

They are spiritually dead and separated from God, but we are alive in Christ Jesus.

We should share the Gospel with them, explain to them about sin, God's love, His forgiveness and His wrath.

• 1 month later...

The unsaved or those who have not trusted in Jesus Christ as their savior are spiritual already dead. Since the time Adam, we have been spiritually dead in our sins. That is why Jesus needed to come, so that God and reconcile us back to Himself. Once we realize our standing according to God's Holy law, and we fully understand that we are indeed sinners, because we have not kept the Law, and also because we were born into sin already, we were already condemned from birth. Then we confessed our sins and trusted in Christ to save us, then is when we have become "born again", because we were once spiritual dead, now we are alive in Christ. Many in our society do not realize this yet, that think that they , already. If you don't believe this just try asking someone, they will claim their own righteousness. They do not see the sin in themselves. A majority of people in our society and in the world, believe God will never condemn anyone, and that they are good enough to enter heaven, on their own merits. We as Christians, should have a heavy heart for them, the same heart as Jesus has for the lost, so should ours be. Witnessing and sharing our faith should be priority one. Satan is content to see people in the churches praising and worshiping, just as long as they are not out spreading the gospel. Only two percent of professing Christians share their faith, how sad. Let us witness and share our faith till the nets are full! When Jesus called us to be fishers of men, we need to go where the fish are at, and they won't be jumping in the boat. Let all of us be seed sowers, and let the Holy Spirit work in the hearts of those who hear the gospel.

• 2 weeks later...

Our sins against God's holy law have made us spiritually dead to God. It is only through the cleansing blood of Christ that we are born again.

We need to pray for them, talk with them about Jesus, and set an example of what Christ's love means.

• 3 weeks later...

:D Our non-believing friends, family and neighbors are spiritually "dead" The difference between them and us is that we have been made alive in Christ Jesus, when we chose Him as our Savior.

Realizing that they our lost, we should take every opportunity to reach them with the gospel of salvation.

• 2 weeks later...

Our unbelieving friends, neighbours and relatives are SPIRITUALLY DEAD. To be spiritually dead means to be separated from God. When God created man he put a part of himself (HIS BREATH) into man thereby establishing a special relationship with man. This is part of God in man is that which makes man long for his maker. It connects him (man) to God. When man disobeyed and sinned against God, that desire and longing for his maker was broken. The reason why man hid himself when God came into the garden in the cool of day. MAN'S DESIRE FOR GOD WAS DEAD.

Remember God had told them that the very day they will eat of the fruit they will surely die. God was not talking about physical death here because Adam and Eve did not die physically after eating the fruit. It was after God pronounced judgement that man started dying physically. Rather God was talking about spiritual death - SEPARATION

THANK GOD THAT THROUGH JESUS CHRIST WE HAVE BEEN RECONCILED UNTO GOD. That is the difference between us and them. We have been delivered from the wrath of God but they are not. We have hope but they do not.

We must pray for them that they will the light of salvation to escape the impending wrath of God. WE MUST PREACH THE GOSPEL OF SALVATION TO THEM (Romans 10:13-14)

They are dead in spiritual sense - they don't believe in sin and wrong doings in God's eyes, and for that reason they are dead to God - they don't need Godd because they are selfsufficient and "sinless" in their own eyes, the new age teachings which are so influential today proclaims there are no sin or guilt because we always do the best in given circumstances, and if we do something wrong it is not our fault - we are always clean of guilt. The difference is that we christians know we are sinful, but we also know we are redeemed by Jesus and we can repent and gain forgiveness of God. We certainly need God and our life is totally dependent of God. If it is possible and when the moment is good we can told others about God and living in His wisdom and by His wil and laws.

• 1 month later...

in my understanding, there are 3 types of death in the bible. first, there is physical death,which we all face sooner or later.its when a persons spirit separates from their body.secondly, there is spiritual death,which a person is separated from god as they walk this planet.thirdly, there is eternal death, which a person will be forever separate from god. so all death really is , is separation.( goats from the sheep, wheat from the chaff)well we all know what physical death is, so what is this spiritual death while still living? it could be rejecting god and living in rebellion. then again it could mean going to church, singing the songs, playing the part. what we call a religionist. or maybe those who would rather create their own god, adding things when necessary, and taking them away when its rough.and eternal death is the second death. totally banned forever from the love of god, with no chance of ever experiencing it again.the only thing that is different from us and them, is the blood of christ jesus. we chose to believe in him and to take him at his word. i think the best thing to do is first remember where we came from and remember who saved us as well. we not only should be patient, but a good listener, wait for the opportune moment to share gods word. and always pray for god to stir them and to create a hunger that only he can fill.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

They are only living for their own pleasures, but without a sense of eternity. It's like walking on a dead end road, you do what you need to do, try to live your life as good as possible, maybe investing even in others, but there is no real sense of fruitfulness that will last.

We live the life that Christ gave us and everything we do in Him has fruit that will last. Living a life apart from God is a sin which leads to death, but living a life of faith in God is our righteousness that will lead to eternal life.

For that reason we must be living examples of Jesus and draw others unto Him, so that they will know the Truth and have a revelation that God is real and not a phantasy.

Non-believers have no hope for tomorrow, they are existing in a "dead" mindset with no real joy to comfort them. We have the security in Christ to lift our spirits. Knowing that they are "dead" should make us have an uncontrollable desire to witness to them without ceasing.

• 3 months later...

Non-believers have no understanding of who they are and whose they are. They seek to their own understanding. They are slaves to this world and to their sins. However, believers have become saved and understand how great God

• 3 months later...

:blink: All non-believing people are dead to God - spiritually dead. They are missing the fullness of Christ in their lives and look to fill that emptiness with somethign else - other religions, smoking, alcohol, drugs etc

As Christians we are fortunate enough to have the fullness of Christ in our lives and know his power and love. Our lives, in contrast should be ones of contentment, inner peace, joy and love.

If we really understood and believed that non-beleivers were 'dead' and subject to God's 'wrath' I believe that we would pursue them with fervour. We would share with them at every opportunity and sow seeds. We would spend more time praying for them and their salvation - we would do more and with more urgency -> so often we become blazae about it but we need to remember the urgency and the difference our lives would be if we didn't have that relationship with God.

• 2 weeks later...

Eph 2:1 As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins,

Eph 2:2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.

Eph 2:3 All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath.

Sadly they are dead to God and the life of God

The difference between us and them is we have had the connection made again- for them it is broken. We are connected again to the giver of life and meaning, even as non believers we knew the blessing of God

• 1 month later...

I think that our non-believing friends, neighbors, and relatives are dead , spiritually dead is that they are harden by the temptations of Satan in this world. They do not know anything else, but are craving for good. The temptations are so forceful that they are unable to overcome them by themselves. I hope that we understand that we are just like them but we understand that God loves us and has saved us. All we have to do is trust in his love for us.

We must pray for them and show good example :rolleyes: (in this way we preach loud and clear).

• 4 months later...

The unbeliever's spirit is dead, before I was saved I was dead in sin, it was on occasion things would intrude on my senses and cause me to tremble, but that was the Spirit of God breathing over me. We have all been born in sin and are dead in it unless the Holy Spirit awakens us and gives us new life through Jesus Christ. Our friends and neighbours who do not have Jesus are dead in trespasses and cannot think of heavenly things. They have not had enlightenment from God. If we truely believe we must tell out the gospel, as God's wrath will be a terrible day for all unsaved. God please help us, touch our lips with fire that we may speak of You.

• 2 months later...

Our neighbors (those who don't know Jesus) are dead in the sense they have no knowledge of what is wrong with them. The wrong is sin, trangressing God's laws. Since they do not have forgiveness in Christ Jesus, they are dead in the eyes of God. They have not received forgiveness of their sins. Should they die anytime soon without Christ, then they would go into eternity without God, without Christ, without hope, bannished from the presence and forgiveness of God.......FOREVER! We on the other hand have forgiveness of our sins from Jesus Christ by his sinless life, his persecution, crucifixtion, death, burial and resurrection we upon our death will go into the presence of God and be with him FOREVER!!!! Now since we believe they they will be lost; we need to, no we are commanded to preach the good news to them. Spread the gospel throughout all of this dying and lost world.

• 4 weeks later...

We are dead in sin.... BUT ....there is a savior! TELL EVERY ONE !!! the Spirit leads us to tell the person in the grocery line...the person at the post office.... Share the...HOW

• 1 month later...

But men are sinners by nature being born in sin .farling to hit the mark always in a moral sense a sin of thought word or deed.so they are dead in sin from God. we have a spiritual resurrection from death in tresspasses and sin .ask God to open there eyes and heart . seek God and confess there sin to him because he is faithful and just to forgive us our sin.

• 2 weeks later...

They are unaware of the reality of God. As if they were blind and unable to see. You can't follow what you can't see. they of course need to accept Christ's sacrifice for themselves. Allowing him open their eyes. A similar scenario can be seen in a believer who has been overwhelmed with life, they of course are ot dead in Christ, but perhaps they have been led away.

Prayer, true prayer touching God, holding them before him. Watching, being available, loving them. When the window of opportunity opens reach in and share Christ with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Our non-believing friends, neighbors, and relatives are "dead" in the sense that they have no saving from their sin. The difference between us and them is we have forgiveness for our sins and the hope of eternal life with Christ. If we really believe that they are "dead" and subject to God's "wrath", we should be praying for them constantly and sharing with them what Christ has done for us and what He can do for them too.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Ephesians 2:1-3) In what sense are our non-believing friends, neighbors, and relatives "dead"?

We're tripart beings, whose spirit is "dead" until we're born again through faith in Jesus Christ. If one doesn't receive Jesus as Lord and Savior before they die here on earth, they die the second death at the judgment seat of Christ, where their rejection of Jesus' invitation to eternal life, results in an eternity in hell.

What's the difference between us and them?

We are forgiven and alive to Christ and will spend eternity with Him. They are dead to Christ and will go to hell with the weight of their sins still on them, separated from God.

If we really believed that they were "dead" and subject to God's "wrath," what would we do?

We will take every opportunity to share the Gospel with them. I went to school in another state, with a guy I'd heard about recently as being on drugs and living a sinful life. I don't recall praying for him at that time, though I felt sad about the "news". Last week, my brother called from that state to say the guy had attempted suicide by putting a gun under his chin, but instead of dying, the bullet ricocheted and blew off much of his face, and that Doctors had done what they could for him. He's now holed up in a remote cabin so that he doesn't have to see people or rather, so they won't see him. This time, I sat down and wrote him a letter, expressing sadness over his despair and suicide attempt, and letting him know I care and am praying for him, but that I'm happy his life was spared, and then shared the Gospel with him. I'm praying for him now every day to be born again, and regret that I didn't pray for him before this crisis.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Ephesians 2:1-3)

In what sense are our non-believing friends, neighbours, and relatives "dead"?

What's the difference between us and them?

If we really believed that they were "dead" and subject to God's "wrath," what would we do?

Unbelievers are spiritually dead as a result of their trespasses and sins. They have no vital contact with God and live as if He did not exist. They are all subject to God