JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

(Ephesians 2:1-3) In what sense are our non-believing friends, neighbors, and relatives "dead"?

Non-believers have transgressed or violated the moral standards of God's holy or divine law. These sins are not trivial or involuntary, but are serious offenses. Non-believers' transgressions have made them spiritually dead to God.

What's the difference between us and them?

The difference between non-believers and us is firstly we believe in God. We have accepted Christ as our Lord and Saviour. By grace through faith, we are saved. Secondly, Christians have a basis or intellectual framework to understand the concept that man is by nature a sinner but the Holy Spirit lives in us and gives us the incomparable power to overcome sin.

If we really believed that they were "dead" and subject to God's "wrath," what would we do?

Christ commanded us through the "great commission" to spread the gospel, to help others come to Christ, and to love our neighbor. Our purpose is to help these people so that the Holy Spirit can work in them. :)

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While believers and non-believers alike experience trials and struggles, the non-believer has no hope to hold onto, not only for salvation, but for joy in daily life. This is not to say an unbeliever isn't happy--many of them enjoy life and are, quite frankly, more enjoyable to be with! However, they do not have that center, that hope that everything will work together for good. Hope for them depends on circumstances or belief in the self, a fallible and disappointing source. This passage is a good reminder for me to keep non-believers in prayer more often.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Ephesians 2:1-3) In what sense are our non-believing friends, neighbors, and relatives "dead"?

They are cut off from God, and therefore spiritually dead. This is a much worse position to be in than being physically dead because when someone is spritually dead, that is a condition which exists for eternity. They will be cut off from God for eternity.

We are alive in God through Jesus. Whatever happens to our physical bodies, which will, unless Christ returns first, eventually die, we will remain alive spiritually forever.

If we really believed that they were "dead" and subject to God's "wrath," what would we do?

We have to tell them. It is our obligation as a friend, relative, neighbour or simply as a fellow human.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Ephesians 2:1-3) In what sense are our non-believing friends, neighbors, and relatives "dead"? What's the difference between us and them? If we really believed that they were "dead" and subject to God's "wrath," what would we do?

They live acording to this world and do not know Christ as there savior and what He has done for them. We have eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord and it shpuld be our willingness to show them God's love and share with them what Christ has done for us and let His light shine through us that they may see it. To be the salt of the earth!!!

Q1. (Ephesians 2:1-3) In what sense are our non-believing friends, neighbors, and relatives "dead"? What's the difference between us and them? If we really believed that they were "dead" and subject to God's "wrath," what would we do?

They live acording to this world and do not know Christ as there savior and what He has done for them. We have eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord and it shpuld be our willingness to show them God's love and share with them what Christ has done for us and let His light shine through us that they may see it. To be the salt of the earth!!!

• 3 weeks later...

1a) When we reject another person our ability to relate to them deadens. Our concern for what they value dies. We have all inherited our fallen state from Adam & Eve & we are spiritually dead therefore at the mercy of God

• 1 month later...

Believers ar those that believe in GOD and JESUS. Those who do not believe are forever lost, with their souls.

• 1 month later...

When one is dead nothing workds! No feeling no sense of belonging: stagnant. Those of my friends who do not have a personal relationship with God, I subtly invite them to get to know Christ as their personal friend, confidant, love of their life: a life line. I certainly do not want anyone even my enemies to be dead in Christ and be judged accordingly. I want them to be fulfilled in His joy! There is nothing out in the world that can compare to that!!!!!!

• 5 months later...

1. In death, there is a certain script, no chance for change, a definite outcome of grief. In life there is ability to write your script -with the Word of God, and an ability to change - we have the mind of Christ, with a definite outcome of joy. In death there is no choice. One resigns themselves to the inevitability of death and that nothing can change the outcome. As a non-believer, one resigns him/herself to "whatever will be will be", to the inevitable, and that, after our own strength.....there is nothing. Death cancels out the possibility of life; it cancels out the possibility of CHRIST.

2. The difference between them and us, is the choice of life. Deuteronomy 30:19 states:" This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live." The difference is, in Christ, we have a choice to actively refuse death by embracing the living Christ.

3. What should I do knowing that the unbeliever is subject to God's "wrath"? Knowing Romans 10:17,that "faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God" I should speak to the unbeliever the word of God in which ever way he listens: pray the Word of God for him, speak the Word of God to him,and most importantly, live the word of God through myself- BEING the REDEEMED, BLESSED CHOICE!

• 2 months later...

Our non-believing friends, neighbors, and relatives are "dead" in the sense that they are without Christ.

The difference between us and them is that we Christians are alive in Christ and they are dead in their transgressions and sins.

If we really believed that they are "dead" and subject to God's "wrath," then we must lead them to Jesus.

Our non-believing friends, neighbors, and relatives are "dead" in the sense that they are without Christ.

The difference between us and them is that we Christians are alive in Christ and they are dead in their transgressions and sins.

If we really believed that they are "dead" and subject to God's "wrath," then we must lead them to Jesus.

• 3 weeks later...

They don't have a relationship with God who is their Creator. When God created the world & us He created us to have a relationship with Him. Therefore we are incomplete without this relationship which is vital for our health.

They are not building a relationship with their Creator therefore they are miss a vital part of their life. We are trying to build our relationship with our Creator therefore we are not missing a vital part of our life.

We should try to reach them so that they know there is a better way & that they can have a more fulfilled life. They can escape the wrath of God & have the love of God in their lives.

• 7 months later...

Anyone who has not received Jesus Christ as their Personal Savior, is still in their sins since it's as if to them that Christ has never come. The wrath of God continues to be on them until they accept the grace and mercy that comes through forgiveness in receiving Christ. With us who have gratefully received Jesus Christ as our Personal Savior, there is the assurance through faith of residing with Him in the Heavenly Realms. Thank you Jesus!! We must boldly spread the message of hope available to all through acceptance of Jesus Christ so that more souls will come to the saving knowledge of receiving Christ.

• 5 months later...

The sense that are non-believing friends, neighbors and relatives are “dead” is that when they die they will not go to heaven. The difference between us and them is that we know that when we die we have a great place to go to. We are not of this world but of the Kingdom. They are of this world and when their life comes to an end they will be with the Evil One.

I believe that they are “dead” and subject to God’s “wrath” and I should go out and try to show then the way to my God so that they can also be saved and go to heaven.

• 4 months later...

Death is the absence of life; the departure or the separation of the soul from the body.  This is physical death.  Spiritual death is the separation of the soul from God.  In Genesis 2:17, God warned Adam that should he eat of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, he would surely die.  When he and his wife ate of the forbidden fruit, they didn't die physically there and then, however, they did die spiritually.  They became separated from God. This condition is portrayed in Genesis 3:18, Adam and Eve went hiding from God when they heard Him approaching.  Sin could not be found in the presence of a holy  God; separation from God was necessary.We too were spiritually dead; separated from God.  However, through our born again conversion experience, Christ's spirit was poured out in our lives making us alive spiritually.As born again Christians, it's our responsibility to share the Gospel with the lost, with those who are spiritually dead.

• 1 year later...

Our non-believing friends and relatives are spiritually dead to God because; 1st, they are unbelieving 2nd, they have violated Gods holy law.

They as we once did, gratify the desires of the flesh and it's thoughts. The difference between them and us is that by Gods mercy and loving kindness and overflowing grace, we have accepted Christ as our redeemer and look forward to living in Gods kingdom and sharing His love.

We know that unbelievers are subject to Gods wrath, because of unbelief. We should do our best with the help of the Holy Spirit to witness to them so they will hopefully repent. And of course pray for them.    

• 1 year later...

Non believers are dead inside at times. They do not have a positive release for the guilt that they feel inside of themselves. They have no way of feeling forgiveness. Telling other people that they are sorry is only an instant gratification. It does not last  very long.

We know that our sins are forgiven and we are free to take on a new and holy life. We know that the slate was wiped clean and this allows us to move on. We need to set examples for those around us. We need to try and talk to those non-believers that are close to us. But we can not force anyone to change.

• 2 years later...
On 7/23/2006 at 9:27 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

In spirt, in Christ, I have heard people say they believe there is a Jesus but don't believe the bible is all truth only bit's and pieces.

My life is different, I have a savior the scales have fell off and I can see, I believe in what the bible tells me, I'm not perfect but my savior is.

Share Jesus with them with a humble heart. 

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q14. Spiritual Deadness
  • 1 month later...

Q14. (Ephesians 2:1-3) In what sense are our non-believing friends, neighbors, and relatives "dead"?

Dead in the sense of insensitivity in regards to right or wrong to sin. The inability to realize that their sinful ways are not pleasing to God and that such sinful life leads to eternal death.

We have Christ and are alive in Him. We are also sensitive to sin knowing when we need to turn to God for repentance.

Minister salvation to them

In what sense are our non-believing friends, neighbors, and relatives "dead"? What's the difference between us and them? If we really believed that they were "dead" and subject to God's "wrath," what would we do?

Dead in spirit, they cannot recognise God in their lives. And therefore, they don’t experience His peace, His Hope, His joy and all those things He alone can give. 

Also, this world’s morality is changing and they don’t have the Spirit to guide them towards what is good. Our society is growing selfish, ungrateful and hard. When you talk about things like forgiveness, self sacrifice, putting others’ needs first and everything we know is right, they don’t agree. 

The last one is a tricky one for me, I only have about five years of truly following Jesus. At first I would preach to anyone who would listen and soon I realised I cannot just preach with words, my actions have to match my beliefs so I started focusing on spiritual growth and being more subtle. I am trying to get out of my comfort zone and do it more because I know what at stake… I am socially awkward so I pray God gives me His strength, courage and love to do it more. 

Q14. (Ephesians 2:1-3) In what sense are our non-believing friends, neighbours, and relatives "dead"? What's the difference between us and them? If we really believed that they were "dead" and subject to God's "wrath," what would we do? 
All unbelievers are dead, that is spiritually dead as a result of their trespasses and sins. They are not sick, they are all dead and the only difference between one sinner and another is the state of decay, for one cannot be more dead than another. Dead is dead. The difference between us and them is the fact that they are unable to respond to spiritual things. The natural man does not, cannot understand the things of God, to them it is all foolishness (1 Col 1:18). It is only as a result of God’s love, His mercy, His grace, and the redeeming work of our Lord Jesus Christ that we have been made alive. We heard the gospel, accepted it by faith, and the miracle of regeneration took place. They on the other hand, have no vital contact with God and live as if He did not exist; their only future will be to face judgment and the wrath of God.  “The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men” (Rom 1:18a). They need to be introduced to the gospel and the saving grace of our Heavenly Father. They need to urgently repent and put their faith in the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ, and to start building up a relationship with Him, so as to get to know Him personally. For the wages of sin is death (Rom 6:23). 

I grew up with and have associated almost exclusively with "dead" people in my life -- nonbelievers. There's a sort of vacuity to them, an emptiness in their eyes, a grasping for pleasure and prestige. A quiet desperation. And yet, they don't believe. They seem to know what they're missing, yet intellectually push God away. Theirs is a sort of active death, something like the "walking dead."

When hearing about Calvin's doctrine of election for the first time I immediately understood immediately that idea because I should be among the dead but was miraculously snatched away from them by God, not physically, but spiritually. I'm still among the dead physically, but not among them essentially. I feel the difference and have pulled away, to a large degree. I suppose you could say that I should constantly witness to them, but they've heard the message of salvation. They know it. They mock it ... and me, at times. 

They've rejected God. 

What's strange is that they're not necessarily "bad people" or even particularly sinful ones, at least by contemporary standards. What separates us is something deeper than ethics and morality (transgressions and sins) -- I think it's the Holy Spirit within me and not in them.

Interestingly, they try to get beyond the selfish cravings of their sinful nature by attaching themselves to causes bigger than themselves, thus looking like generous people, patrons and donors, volunteers and activists. But, still, selfishness undergirds even their most unselfish-looking acts. I can be selfish, too, and often am, but I still think that the Holy Spirit in me, and the fact that I can actually be unselfish if only for a nanosecond, while they cannot ever escape their fundamental selfishness, separates us. This is how they are dead. They're dead to the world, to others, to love ... because they can't escape the prison of subjectivity.

I really believe they're dead, but I also know they've chosen to remain dead. Perhaps this isn't the answer that you're wanting to read, but I pray for them, asking God to choose them, too. They know the gospel message, and repeating it endlessly doesn't soften their hearts. Only God draws to Himself unbelievers. 

Right now, in the next room, mostly blind, sits a very old man -- 94.  A relation. He's almost entirely blind so is ordering CDs to which he can listen, mostly academic lectures. I'm filling out the check for him, looking at his order. The CDs are on the secular, anthropological basis of cultural evolution, the idea that our ethics, values and ideas are conditioned and limited by our society.  He had hundreds of tapes from which to choose -- he chose these, passing up the history of Augustine and other religiously themed tapes. People who don't believe, in my opinion, don't want to believe. They CHOOSE death.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2006 at 9:27 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q14. (Ephesians 2:1-3) In what sense are our non-believing friends, neighbors, and relatives "dead"? What's the difference between us and them? If we really believed that they were "dead" and subject to God's "wrath," what would we do?

God is not real to them.  They have not accepted Christ as their Savior and Lord.  They are living by their own strength and do not need God.  They have no knowledge of God and how He can deliver them, they are spiritually dead.  They do not have the Spirit of God in them.

In my life I realized there was more to life than what I was experiencing.  I did go to church but it was not alive. I did not hear the Word of God that would change my life.   I had a need in my life and I cried out to God and He rescued me.  He is living in me by His Holy Spirit.

We would tell them how much God loves them and came to save them from Original sin. The sin Adm and Eve committed when they obeyed the devil.  The sin that gave them the sin nature that they have that makes them sin.  The answer is Jesus.  Jesus is the answer to all the problems in the world.  Tell them that His Holy Spirit will help them through this life.  Its a mystery how the Holy Spirit lives in us, but He is God and can do anything!   God tells us this.  Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? I Cor. 3:16

According to St John's Gospel, aforementioned peoples in today's question don't have eternal life.   They don't acknowledge that Jesus Christ as Son of God nor Son of Man.  They are abiding in darkness. They are not abiding in the Vine.  In otherwords...they have not been born again.   1 Peter 2:9 describes our new status in splendid detail

We who believe in Christ in accordance with Romans 10: 9-10 and Romans 6..have put on Christ; our baptismal robes symbolize our new lives.   We are no longer in darkness; we have the life of Christ now.  Ephesians 1 explains this so succintly; we are the Body of Christ now due to God the Father's immense love.  Christ in His glorified status with his nail scared hands is interceding for us now while awaiting the church to be completed here on earth.   We are in the dispensation of grace; our good deeds are as filthy rags.

The Prophet Ezekiel witness the throne of God being supported by the 4 angelic beings.   We are called to be temples of the Holy Spirit:  we bear Christ to the world.  Our position is so much deeper than the Prophet Ezekiel could ever imagined!  The Holy Trinity indwelling the believers.   Ezekiel saw the Shekinah and fell prostrate in awe; he didn't have the very life of Christ as we possess.

• 1 month later...

1. In what sense are our non-believing friends, neighbours, and relatives "dead"?

They are spiritually dead, meaning that the have no hope of spiritual life after physical life, but that they are doomed to everlasting death.

2. What's the difference between us and them?

The difference between us and them is that we, unlike them, have a spiritual hope to look forward to after our physical death, meaning that instead of suffering in hell for eternity, we will be enjoying Heaven in the presence of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit for all eternity.

3. If we really believed that they were "dead" and subject to God's "wrath," what would we do?

I believe that we would try harder to convince them the seriousness of their sin and we would try to spread the gospel with them and help them come to faith. Still, I believe that God would have to be present in the experience, because if we try to do it all on our own terms, I think we would do more harm than good.

THANK YOU AND FORGIVE ME LORD JESUS!!!!!!!