JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Being saved means even though we don't deserve what God has done for us He does it out of His great love for us. The human race is heading for a cliff & the only thing that can save us from tumbling down the ravine is God awesome love for us.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

To save is to rescue; to rescue someone out from a situation that can be damaging to life.

As sinners we were all destined to eternal punishment in hell; however by accepting God's love, His Son's death on the cross as a propitiation for our sins, we are rescued from that damning situation.

• 1 year later...

Q2. "Saved" has become Christian jargon. How can you "translate" this word into modern speech so people can understand what it really means and why they need it?

We can translate the word saved to unbelievers by using the term rescued. Because of sin they will receive Gods eternal damnation to ever lasting fire in hell. But through and by by the death of Christ, the Son of God, they are rescued from that damnation. They are redeemed by His death on the cross and God our father excepts this as payment for our sins. So, belief in this redemption is proof of Gods love for us and wants to share with us His glory in His Kingdom.   

• 2 months later...

You buy a house and suddenly was out of job, and can't pay for the mortgage,until it accumulates that it is impossible for you to pay on your own.

You received a letter thatbthe bankmis going to foreclose your property,and that you vacate the house immediately or face arrest and imprisonment.

You really loved the house and you and your family has no where to turn to.The day has ome when the bank and police come knocking at your door,to kick you out..and as you gather your belongings out,a stranger come with all the money that you owe the bank,and paid it all including interest.You don"t know this man,you don't do anything for him,to received such kindness.

That my friend is GRACE..you cant pay it in your own,yet someone pay it for you,without you doing anythingbfor him..He do it all for you..your debt is your sin..and the bank and police is satan,who come to steal,kill and destroy your hapiness.They have the right to kick you out of your happiness and joy because you cant pay for your sin..until someone comes to pay it all for you,without you doing anything,only your heart is crying in desperation for someone to save you..His name is Jesus.and what he has done for you is called grace of God.

• 10 months later...

Jesus gave His life to make sure that we are able to live. He took our punishment upon Himself to save or rescue us from the grasp of the devil. He offered us a way to get into heaven. He insured our safety with His own life. That my friends is what it meant by being saved in the Christian terminology.

• 2 years later...
On 7/29/2006 at 6:42 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. "Saved" has become Christian jargon. How can you "translate" this word into modern speech so people can understand what it really means and why they need it?

We have been set FREE from sin, we have been set FREE from this "world", FREE from guilt, FREE from shame, So that we may live with eyes open wide and love like we never knew.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q19. Saved
  • 2 months later...

Q19. (Ephesians 2:8-9) "Saved" has become Christian jargon. How can you "translate" this word into modern speech so people can understand what it really means and why they need it?

I think using Pastor Ralph “rescue” is better translation for me.

Q19. (Ephesians 2:8-9) "Saved" has become Christian jargon. How can you "translate" this word into modern speech so people can understand what it really means and why they need it? 
In explaining the word saved, to unbelievers, we have to explain what they are being saved from. Each one of us is dead in sins, separated from God, and enslaved to this world. We are completely consumed with our desires. We must know that Jesus came to earth, that we might have life and have it more abundantly. We must also recognise that God is the source of real life, and not to know Him is to be dead. So, we must be saved or rescued from death, spiritual death, and from alienation from God. We must also understand the dire situation in which we are in, we need to be rescued not only from our sins and spiritual death, from our rebellion against God, from our slavery to this world and to the temptations of the devil, but most importantly of all from the wrath of God. The only way we can be rescued is by the grace of God. It is not something we can attain by doing, but only by believing. We cannot do anything to earn or deserve this grace; we just reach out our hand and trust Jesus, the Son of God, to give us something that we don’t deserve.  We repent of our sins and turn to Jesus. It is a free gift from God. It has nothing to do with any good deeds we might have done; we cannot earn this grace. We not only need to know what we are to be rescued from and how we are to be rescued, we also need to know for what we are to be rescued. We are to be rescued wholly and only by the grace of God through the work of Christ, so that we will be obedient Christians delighting in the Law of God, loving to do good works. That is to love God with all your heart, to love neighbour, to care for one another, to show the love of Christ in every facet of our lives, to show real gospel humility and to ultimately spend eternity with God in heaven. 

If I person doesn't believe he's drowning, he won't grab the life-saving ring. It doesn't matter what that ring is called if an unbeliever doesn't think he needs it.

Unbelievers first need to feel guilt, a sense of shame and self-disgust. Only then will they want to have the slate wiped clean. Thus, it seems that the first thing we should do while witnessing is talk about sin, not salvation; about guilt, not cleansing; about being mired in the quicksand of self-centredness, not rescued from it. This is not a pleasant message. It's one that unbelievers do not want to hear. But, if we pray, the Holy Spirit is able to quicken the conscience of both believers and unbelievers.

Yes, there's a sense in which an unbeliever's conscience is dead or dulled to the point of lifelessness, but the Holy Spirit restores the pulse of life by first restoring a feeling of shame. Ultimately, salvation is a gift that God bestows on some, but not others. We cannot play God, praying people into the kingdom or manipulating them into accepting Christ for the Holy Spirit quickens true faith.

Our culture has tried it's best to eliminate shame. We have a thousand varieties of immoral life-styles and few moral boundaries -- it's all about self-expression and -actualization. Still, I believe the small voice of the Holy Spirit speaks into the minds of unbelievers, so as we pray for people, they may slowly become aware of their sinfulness. There's no guarantee they'll accept Christ's offer of salvation, of course, but at the point where they seem to feel guilt, the message can be spoken, that of salvation.

They will either reject or accept God's offer of salvation and are ultimately responsible for that decision.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2006 at 6:42 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q19. (Ephesians 2:8-9). "Saved" has become Christian jargon. How can you "translate" this word into modern speech so people can understand what it really means and why they need it?

The church I was raised in I never heard about salvation. It was just religion. I wanted God in my life but didn't know how to get Him.  When I was married and, it was not a good one, I had heard about Jesus and that He was living and alive. My friends just told me to pray and just talk to Him like I talk to anyone else.  I just told Him that my life was a mess, " I give You my life and my family's life and said to Him, Do with it what you will." He honored that commitment and came into my life and rescued me from hell and from the addictions of the world.

Jesus gives you a new life for old - delivers you from a life of sin, puts His Holy Spirit in you and you desire to do right and good.  You now have a helper to help you, a provider, a protector, someone you can tell your problems too,  You are not alone in this world.

• 2 weeks later...

After prayer and meditation, the phrase "the enlarged life" comes to my mind to aptly describes the saved condition of the new believer.  The word "soteria" is so rich in meaning for the believer.   We have the forgiveness of sins and divine healing; we surely have an inclusive package as  Christains!  Truly a "personal relationship with Christ" can touch the heart of an inquirer.   Many people are tired of religious wars and debates; a prime example is this war between Russia and Ukraine.   If only they knew about "the enlarged life" !   There is much more to the  Christain faith besides useless wars and killings.

• 2 months later...

1. "Saved" has become Christian jargon. How can you "translate" this word into modern speech so people can understand what it really means and why they need it?

If I were to translate "saved" into modern, understandable language, I would probably use words such as "rescued" or "freed" and maybe emphasize them because we are being rescued/freed from eternal damnation and eternal life in hell. But yes, I would probably just use "rescue" or "free."

THANK YOU GOD!!!!!!!

•  

• 1 year later...

To be saved means to be rescued from something undesirable. In a spiritual sense, it means to be rescued from sin and its consequences, which include eternal punishment in hell To be saved, one must confess that they are a sinner and need a Savior, and believe in Jesus Christ as the one who died for their sins and gives them eternal life. Being saved does not mean being free from earthly troubles, but it does mean being seen as righteous in the eyes of God