JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. "Saved" has become Christian jargon. How can you "translate" this word into modern speech so people can understand what it really means and why they need it?

The best way that I could explained the word saved is that I have commited my life to Christ. I was a losted person and Christ by shedding his blood as a gift for me saved me from my sins. Sin is trangression of the law, we all are sinners saved by grace. The gift of salvation requires two things acceptance of the gift or rejection of the gift. We ones accepts the gift then that person is a saved individual. We must choose to be saved and we have to do this individually. Through acceptance of the gift of salvation one will live eternally with Christ. This is a better choice that not accepting for which one will be destroyed, but the choice is ours.

As Joshua said Choose this day who you will serve.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saved is basically: rescued from the clutches of Satan, forgiven of your sin and promised life everlasting. We have the inheritance of Christ and the promise of heaven for all eternity. Everyone needs that assurance.

Being saved one must receive God's provision of salvation, be forgiven, live a holy life and receive the Holy Spirit by becoming a new creation. Acceptance of God's forgiveness and way of life and live according to God's Word..

Do you believe that Jesus is God? Do you believe that He was born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried? Do you believe He rose from the death and earned for us our salvation? Jesus died for OUR sins and, through that dath and ressurection, has redeemed us all. Without thisd belief you cannot accept your redemtion and receive the grace of God.

Q2. "Saved" has become Christian jargon. How can you "translate" this word into modern speech so people can understand what it really means and why they need it?

Being saved means we have been rescued from our sins. We have been rescued by Jesus, the Lamb of God. The only one perfect that could rescue us from staying in our sins and leading the life as he intended for us to. I am glad he rescued me. I love him so much. Without him i would still be living in my sins, instead i now have alove relationship with him. :rolleyes:

"Saved" has become Christian jargon. How can you "translate" this word into modern speech so people can understand what it really means and why they need it?

The word resued implies an imminent danger. There would be no need for a resue unless a life threatening event could take place or is taking place. The word gives both the sense of the urgency of the act and the consequences, often fatal, always detrimental, which would have occurred in its absence.

"Saved" has become Christian jargon. How can you "translate" this word into modern speech so people can understand what it really means and why they need it?

We need to be rescued from our own way of life, our own way of thinking that keeps us feeling like something is missing, that life that is leading to death. We need to be rescued from our sins not in our sins which we try to justify without Jesus who came to rescue us from death to life. If you were in a burning building and I ran in and pulled you out you would be pretty stupid to run back in to be burned to death that is what Jesus did he pulled us out of a burning hell but without him we choose to run back in.

Saved has become a Christian jargon.How can you translate this word into modern speech so people can understand what it really means and why they need it?

When we are called,we can accept to be rescued from the world that we are living in right now.When we have the salvation that means that we are free to be who Christ wants us to be as long as we are doing His will in our own lives.

Saved could be compared to being forgiven no matter what you did.

Unconditional

When someone who never experices acceptence can know that without a doubt that they are unconditional forgiven..

They begin to relize God's great Love towards them.

When I think about being rescued, I think about being in a very dangerous situation. If I wasn't in a dangerous situation then i wouldn't need to be rescued. Being saved means to be rescued from sin, the enemy and even myself. It is dangerous and fatal to be in the hands of the enemy, that is why we need salvation.

As Pastor Ralph said, rescue would be a better word. Rescue from our oftentimes worldly bad habits through provision of grace or favor.

• 3 weeks later...

I was baarought up in a Christian home where the Bible was read 3 timees a day, prayer abefore and aafter mea;s 3 times a day and aattended church 3 04 4 times a week. but I was married several years that I was rescued by Christ and saved by reading the scriptures one morning: You have n ot chosen me, but I haave chosen you a nd appointed you to g o and bear fruit and your fruit shluld remain . all that verses brought to my mind and h eaart that Christ saved me for a purpose.It was like a veil that had clouded all my bringing up in the past I was forgiven that I had assumed that I was a Christian all these years When it becaame personal to me and Christ and the Holy Spirit was dra wing me to Him aaaa Whole new life took on a new beginning.

I really like using the term "rescued" in place of saved. But, I was also impacted in my early Christian walk when I was informed that I was "Accepted"! That carried a great deal of significance for me. I never, as a younster, was one that felt accepted - not by my peers nor by my family. I always felt like I didn't quite measure up. And it didn't seem to matter what I did or didn't do - it never was right.

When I realized that my Heavenly Father not only loved me, but He "accepted" me JUST AS I AM, it was a point of transformation in my life. Then I realized for the first time that it wasn't really that I was not accepted by others that was the problem - I didn't accept myself.

When I began to "like me" because of the work of Christ in my life, ironically, others began to like me also!

To be saved in this sense, is just like being saved from a fatal illness. The Doctor does what is necessary to save your life (by giving you medication or doing surgery.) In the same sense, God does what is necessary to save your soul (by forgiving your sins.) He saves or rescues you from your life of sin. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Saved means that I was rescued, that I was set free from danger, harm, from my sins.

"to be saved" means exactly what it says...and most people can readily understand that. But the question is...from what am I saved????

Our first response might be "from hell, fire and damnation"; and that is true. But on second thought we need to explain to the unbeliever what we believe. In believing that Jesus Christ came to this world from his heavenly throne to die on the cross for the sins I have committed and will EVER commit, by accepting Him as my personal Savior and Lord, and by living a life as nearly as possible to the life He lived while on earth, I will receive "salvation"...that being spending eternity with Him. Because He loved me so much that He willing died for my sins (the wages of sin is death) I find it a joy to do the things He commanded while walking this earth!

So...to answer the question "from what am I saved". Simple answer: a life of pain and torment knowing that the unbeliever will never have the joy of worshiping God forever, but chained to an eternity of being without Him.

• 1 month later...

Ralph: I think rescued puts it very clear. "Rescued from what?" may be asked.. so what I use for openers is "Rescued from yourself " and we go on from there.

I don't know if redeem is modern speech, however it seems to describe very well the issue of salvation.

Redeem: implies releasing from bondage (of sin) or penalties (of death) by giving what is demanded or necessary (the wages of sin is death except through the salvation offered by our Lord).

When a man is stuck in the middle of the flood and he is fighting for his life.... Slowly water level is rising.. so that man goes to the top of the roof to survey.... Even to that peek,water came.. Man thought that he is going to die.. Suddenly a rescue people comes and recuses that man...

This incident can be easily related to "SAVE"

God has saved(redeemed)from our Sin... Given a new life to live according to his word...

• 2 weeks later...

Saved menas that you are kept from danger of being dead at first place, but can also means that you are rescued from earthy realms and dangers of everyday life. God save us because it was the only way for us to be with Him in eternity, in our real and eternal life.

"Saved can be translated as"Rescued". Rescue carries the idea of one finding him/herself in trouble or a situation which is life threatening and just when all is over he or she is rescued or delivered. Christians believe we have been rescued from the bondage of sin. In other words, we are rescued from the penalty of our sins - death. People must understand that they need to be rescued from their sins and that it is only Christ who can rescue them from any situation.