JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. "Saved" has become Christian jargon. How can you "translate" this word into modern speech so people can understand what it really means and why they need it?
the parable of the prodigal son comes to mind. we spend so much time on ourselves, for ourselves, that it begins to become such a big rut that we can.t get out of. oh yeah. we had it all figured out and nothing was gonna stop us. the problem with running that dead end highway has always been incompleteness. we desire to be filled, and maintained, and nothing can ever fill us or give us peace except for god. he brings balance and rest for our souls.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I like the image of the word restore. There are some beautiful old paintings by Rembrandt and others which had been hanging in a museum for a long time. At one point during cleaning, it was discovered that the varnish was old and damaged on one of these. A person trained in restoration was brought in who began to remove the old cracked varnish. What had been a beautiful painting of a dim room with light coming in the window, turned out to be a very light room with many vibrant colors in the sun beams. The painting was restored to its original state of even greater beauty and liveliness the artist had intended to be reflected in it.

Over time, our own life and our love of it become dulled from day to day stress and disappointments of life. As with the varnish which had slowly yellowed over time, we did not even notice the changes in us. God, as the great restorer, sent His son so His blood could be used as the cleaner to remove the old dull varnish and restore our lives to the original beauty, excitement and vibrancy we were born with.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Q2. "Saved" has become Christian jargon. How can you "translate" this word into modern speech so people can understand what it really means and why they need it?

Our debt has been PAID IN FULL. The debt we owe for getting us out of jail or paying the penalties on our defaulted loan. We could never have enough to pay back God for paying the penalty for our disobedience.

• 4 months later...
As Pastor Ralph said - saved can be easily translated to rescue - which shows people both it's meaning and why they need it. I am reminded of the song My Redeemer Lives: I know he's rescued my soul!

• 5 months later...

'Saved' is good to me. Everyone knows what saved means in the sense of the word. What has become 'jargon' in the christian context as being saved is derived from the fact that in our PC society the christian message does not like to address the punishment of sin. Indeed it does not like to really refer to sin at all. Therefore as sin and the consequences of sin is glossed over, so also is the need to be saved from it. For example if you were to rush to someones aid when they were walking along the pavement and went to pull them from the edge, this on the pretext of preventing them falling into the road it would be deemed as a bit over the top. However, someone walking on the edge of a precipice being pulled to safety would appreciate the certain death that would have befallen them if they had fell. We can only be saved out of peril. So 'saved' is a good word to describe salvation of Jesus Christ.

• 2 months later...

To translate the word saved into modern jargon we must know what saved means: To rescue from a dire situation. Your a passenger on the Titanic. Sinking in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, near the Artic Circle in the late autumn. Only a few life boats and hundres upon hundres of people needing a place on those boats. So many people, so few seats to be rescued or saved from the icy cold waters and a sure death. In the panic that ensued as the ship sank more and more. There were crew members "selecting" people to fill those seats. We humans are all on the road of life that ends and then begins in the lake of fire for those who have not been rescued by Jesus Christ. We as humans all have sinned or broken Gods laws. The 10 commandments. Since we violated those laws we can not be in God's presence and therefore will be bannished from his presence for all eternity. The only place aside from being with God in heaven is a place created for Satan and his demons; the lake of fire. It was not created for humans. However, all those who reject God have no other place to go so they will go there. Who wants to burn for all of eternity? This is what all humans need to be rescued from. Their own state of sinfullness and the consequence of those sins. The only way. THE ONLY WAY is by accepting God's provision (rescue life boat) in Jesus. By his death on the cross and the shedding of innocent blood we can be forgiven IF we allow Jesus to become LORD and masters of our lives then Jesus will save us from God's judgement and bannishment for those who reject him and his laws.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Jesus made it possible for God to forgive us and restore us to a right relationship with him. grace is the driving motive of God's act of reconciliation on our behalf (eph.2:5).

• 4 weeks later...

I think that rescue is an excellent word to use in place of saved; it paints the perfect picture of what Christ does for us. A very timely illustration is "bail out". In my humble opinion, the majority of the people/businesses who are being bailed out by our government created the mess they are in and don't deserve to be spared the consequences of their poor choices, especially when my family is living paycheck to paycheck, hoping our daughter gets enough in scholarship money to pay for college, hoping the boys don't grow so much that they need new clothes before we can afford to buy them, etc. Now, with that being said, I also know that our time here on earth is short compared to the eternity that my family and I will be spending in Heaven, never wanting for anything and praising our Lord for His grace in even allowing us a glimpse of that, let alone to enjoy it with Him.

• 1 month later...

Adam and Eve were created as sinless, tri-part beings, but with free will. When they chose to sin by disobeying God's command to them, their spirits and divine connection with God died, becoming two-part beings and they fell under the dominion of Satan, the prince of this world unable to rescue themselves from his prison.

Jesus came to die on the cross to redeem or buy mankind back from Satan, through the sacrifice of His sinless life and blood. This process is what we call being "saved", or Salvation, (rescued from Satan's control) in that when one chooses to receive Jesus' sacrifice for payment of one's sins, the dead spirit is restored to life and connection with God once more here on earth, then eternally in Heaven with Him, forgiven from all sins and unrighteousness.

Those who reject Jesus and are on their way to hell for their sins, apart from God's presence for eternity, have chosen their future by choosing to ignore the rescue God provided for them and to die as two-part beings, dead in their sins. BUT: by God's grace and favor may choose Him and eternal life, at any point before death, because He wants NO ONE to perish!

• 1 month later...

Q2.

"Saved" has become Christian jargon.

How can you "translate" this word into modern speech so people can understand what it really means and why they need it?

In explaining the word saved, to unbelievers, we have to explain what they are being saved from. Each one of us is dead in sins, separated from God, and enslaved to this world. We are completely consumed with our desires. We must know that Jesus came to earth, that we might have life and have it more abundantly. We must also recognise that God is the source of real life, and not to know Him is to be dead. So we must be saved or rescued from death, spiritual death, and from alienation from God. We must also understand the dire situation in which we are in, we need to be rescued not only from our sins and spiritual death, from our rebellion against God, from our slavery to this world and to the temptations of the devil, but most importantly of all from the wrath of God. The only way we can be rescued is by the grace of God. It is not something we can attain by doing, but only by believing. We cannot do anything to earn or deserve this grace; we just reach out our hand and trust Jesus, the Son of God, to give us something that we don

• 6 months later...

In reference to the previous poster, hanks's, reference to enslavement, I would say that "freed" can also be an appropriate substitute for "saved." Through Christ we can be freed from doing those bad things that seem to have a firm hold on us.

• 1 month later...

Q2. "Saved" has become Christian jargon. How can you "translate" this word into modern speech so people can understand what it really means and why they need it? Rescued is a more modern way of describing it because it carries with it the implication of being removed from an impossible situation which the rescuee had no hope of getting out of on their own. For me, its not so much that saved has Christian overtones, it is that it is what a goalkeeper does or doesn't do in football (soccer)!!

• 1 month later...

B) Saved Has become a Christian jargon.

I like the termanology "rescue " it says so much more than just saved. If I have ben in a fire and the firemen came and pulled me out they rescued me from a horrible death. That pretty much describes what we are rescued from when we are told about Jesus and salvation We are rescued from spiritual death when we tell about Jesus and how He died on teh cross for our sins. I believe I would show the non-christian the scriptures in Gen. about Adam and Eve how God sent them away from the Garden of Eden because of the lies Satan told them and they believed. Then I would share John 3: 16 How God sent His Son to rescue us from that same lie by going to the cross. I would share my testamony of how I was rescued from an existance to life and hope we all need in a better way. I would definitely share Eph. 2: 4:6 and part of this lesson. With Love I would tell the non-believer our nature is really very selfish and self-centered of wanting always what is in it for us but the nature of Christ is giving and it is free. That everything Christ has done for us is a gift even His life on the cross.

Saved means understanding who Jesus is, what He has done for us, and accepting Him as Lord of our life.

Nothing I could do would restore my relationship with God on my own. I recognise my need of God and have been rescued by Jesus from a spiritual deadness, meaning from being controlled by my own wrong motives & thoughts, & from being influenced by worldly negative forces of influence of money, power,sex, pride. Now accepting God

• 1 month later...

To be saved, is being rescued by GOD, thru prayer and patience. Doing a great deal of penance each day..... Removing satan from your heart, and all temptations.

Bruno J.......

• 3 months later...

"Saved" has become a Christian jargon. Saved is being protected from sin and realizing who is protecting us. Being saved is living your life to the will of God and turing from your old ways and know in your heart that when you wilk with God you always teach your destination. Faith is not believing that God can; it is knowing that God will.

• 5 months later...

Saved means rescued. What do we all want to be rescued from? Things that hurt and destroy us, and things that we hate within ourselves that eventually hurt and destroy us and others. This horror in the world, and within ourselves is sin; sin hurts, it destroys. We all know we need to be rescued, it is a basic human preservation response. To understand that Jesus is sent from a God who is a creator, who sees the world, and our lives within it from His perspective, gives us faith that He knows what he is doing. He is supreme. Father God, who created the world gave us an opportunity to be rescued from the horror of sin, from others and from within ourselves. We are rescued from horror to what? We are rescued from the horror of sin to eternal life. What is eternal life? It starts now. John 17:3 states "Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." Know Him and you will know real peace. Be rescued from you own hurt and you won't hurt others. Be rescued from sin and know Jesus, the eternal life.

• 1 month later...

"Saved" has become Christian jargon. We can only translate this word into modern speech so people can understand what it really means and why they need it.

Supposing a ship on a high sea is sinking and they put up a distress call and it does not take long before the coast guard arrive to rescue the people on board the ship. Everyone on board the ship is rescued and they are happily united with their families, friends and loved ones.

This is exactly Jesus did for us. We have sinned and stand accused, fall short of the glory of God, and we need to face justice. We deserve eternal damnation but Jesus came to rescue us from perishing in eternal damnation. He paid the price in full. Jesus is our kinsman-redeemer. Noe one is exempted from this salvific work of Jesus.

Glory to God.

"Saved" has become Christian jargon. We can only translate this word into modern speech so people can understand what it really means and why they need it.

Supposing a ship on a high sea is sinking and they put up a distress-call and it does not take long before the coast-guards arrive to rescue the people on board the ship. Everyone on board the ship is rescued and they are happily united with their families, friends, and loved ones.

This is exactly Jesus did for us. We have sinned and stand accused, fall short of the glory of God and we need to face justice. We deserve eternal damnation but Jesus came to rescue us from perishing eternal damnation in hell. He paid the price in full for our punishment. Jesus is our kinsman-redeemer. No one is exempted from this salvific work of Jesus.

Glory to God.