JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Substitutionary Atonement

Q3. Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words.

Christ bearing our sins for us, "the substitutionary atonement," can be seen in the following ways:

The sicknesses and diseases that came upon man as a result of sin was taken upon Him so that man did not have to endure alone

The sorrow and burdens that may come our way He has taken upon himself

The load of guilt and pain of sin He has taken upon himself

He continuously intercedes with the Father on our behalf

And all this, Christ Jesus the Suffering-Servant bore for us. Indeed, He is the substitute for us, He bears our sins so we don't have to. Yet, so many pick them up, among the other weightiness of the world and carry them by refusing the finished work of Calvary.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words.

Jesus gave Himself as a substitute for humanity (me), on the cross to bear in full force the pushishment for sin that we deserve from God Almighty. A punishment that we could not bear.

• 3 months later...

God can not be in the presence of sin. but, wanting a communion with us sent his son to be a sacrifice for us. Jesus told his disciples that he came to serve. He was a servant to God and to man. when he died on the cross it took our sins. He substituted his lif for ours.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Jesus, not only take up my sin (our sin) by giving his Life for me (us) , but also gives me his righteousness instead, How great is my(our) God, He provides us such a lovely Jesus.

Sin needs to be punished. But the punishment did not fall on me... it fell on Jesus. It must have been the most awful moment ever when the sin of me and of the whole world was placed on Jesus who was the sinless one. That moment my dirty rags were exchanged with his righteous robes. The weight of the ugliness of the world was laid on the King of Kings - on the very son of God Himself - who is God. He loves me like nobody will ever love me. He cannot help BUT LOVE ME because He is LOVE!

• 1 year later...

The servent steps in and says "lay the guilt on me" - stands between the sinner and the righteous judge, insists that the wrong be forgiven and set free from the punishment he deserves. But the punishment needs to go somewhere, so he shows his own back for us.

• 1 month later...

Q4. In addition to our sins, the Servant also bears the punishment deserved by sinners. In what sense, if any, did Jesus bear the punishment due you when he died on the cross?

My punishment was death, the wages of sin is death, something God said sin deserved, but, I a believer, can now say,

For mankind to find peace with God, we had to have a more perfect way to have our sins atoned for, once and for all.

God

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In Moses' time, a lamb acted as the substitute to bear the sins of a person.

Jesus acted on the cross as the substitue to bear all sins.

He took the sins so we are free of them.

• 2 months later...

going back to an earlier question, where we learned about what was necessary for a sacrifice in the OT, one of the needed things was that the sinner lay hands on the head of the sacrifice, thus transferring his or her sins to the sacrificial animal.

We don't lay our hands upon the Lord Jesus, but this passage is clear that He IS the substitution for our transgressions. He was pierced for our transgressions; the iniquity of us all was laid upon Him; he was crushed, why? because of OUR iniquity. I don't know how God did it, but He did place the sins of the world on the Servant. He TOOK UP our infirmities, he CARRIED our sorrows, He will BEAR their iniquities...I can see in my mind's eye, the Lord Jesus under the weight of the cross as He carried it to Calvary...That cross WAS our iniquities, transgressions, infirmities and sorrows.

Jesus took it all, for us. Only LOVE has the power to do that, and only GOD'S LOVE. Nothing else could have compelled Him to take the cross, be nailed to it and STAY THERE, and die in agony. He did it for us.

He took upon Himself the punishment that our sins deserve. He was punished in a way that we can't truly understand so that the wrath of God would not be inflicted on us sinner even though we deserve it, Grace took place and we were forgiven as He died for us.

God set a standard for us to go by when He gave us the Ten Commandments. It was immediately realized that man could not live up to that standard. Many years later God allowed Jesus to live on this earth and die as a substitution for us, so that when we as believers die, we can go to heaven and live with Him. Man has to take on(believe) that substitutionary death was for them before God will allow us to recieve His eternal life. I believe that God did things in this order so that we would exhibit our free will in this choice.

Q3 God in His goodness and mercy sent His Son into the world to save us from all our sins.

Jesus in obedience to His father's will submitted Himself by undergoing the trials,

scourging, crowning of thorns and carrying His cross to Calvary to be hanged like a

thief even though He is sinless in the sight of God. All He did was to carry our

sorrows and sins on His shoulder at the cross so that we can be set free and be able

to reconcile ourselves to God once more.

All have sinned and fallen short of God's "mark" or holiness. In order to have fellowship with a holy God, I must be holy. Jesus died on the cross as the only acceptable sacrifice to forgive and cleanse the world of its' sin, because He alone is perfect and sinless. When I received Him into my heart and life, the Bible says I died with Him, rose with Him, and am now righteous in God's sight, because Jesus' blood washed me clean.

In the Old Testament, the substitute for sin was the death of an innocent animal found to be without spot or blemish, but that death only covered the sin and needed to be repeated with every sin committed. Jesus died ONCE for ALL, so He need not die again if I sin, but I'm to confess my sin, repent of it, receive His cleansing and forgiveness and go on with Him, trusting in His substitutionary death for me, which resulted in my eternal life ....which began the moment I was born again.

Jesus as the Lamb of God serves all of humanity by offering Himself as an animal sacrifice for the atonement of our sins. As Paul wrote, "for the wages of sin is death." Instead of humanity suffering the consequences of their sin, Jesus offers Himself upon the cross to bear the wrath of God on the cross for us. He who knew no sin became sin and took on the sin of the world so that whoever believes in Him (Jesus Christ), should not perish but have everlasting life. Out of great love and a willingness to carry out the will of God the Father, Jesus served both God the Father and humanity by going to the cross as the Lamb of God.

The bottom line however, is that one must believe and confess in the name of the only begotten Son of God to be pardoned from sin, punishment, and eternal separation from God.

• 3 months later...

Well no doubt....we are all guilty....every one of us. By our guilt through sin, we are sentenced to die with no hope. Jesus came as a servant, though He was royalty, to do what was necessary to take away our sin and our sentence of death, to die in our place, so we were pardoned, set free and can live. He took those sins on Himself and shed His blood because without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sin. This was the requirement to fulfill the justice needed to set us free. Jesus freely gave His life blood and died so we could be freed and live. He didn't just "pardon" us before God....He paid the ultimate price to exchange His life for ours.

• 5 weeks later...

Feels like answering my exam questions because have to answer in my own words... :-)

The Servant Himself has no sins. He is holy and pure, so there is no need to die, or atone for any sins.

By bearing our sins, He acts as a subsitute to die on our behalf.

• 6 months later...

We, each and every human, are the guilty ones. We are the ones who stole the cookies. God the Father knows it, Jesus, the older brother, knows it and we know it. Receiving punishment for this sin would destroy us as we are so weak and frail. Jesus takes the punishment in our place.

• 1 month later...

We stand accused and deserved to be punished but the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins. Since he paid for our sins we do not need to pay it anymore.

Q3. Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement."

In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins?

Put it in your own words. It has the effect of a child playing in the streets without permission. As a result, the child is about to be hit by a tree or car. Though the child was disobedient, the parent pushes the child out of the way putting him/herself in the place of the child. Death was fulfilled but not by the intended victim. :huh: