JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q34. Our Calling

Q1. (Ephesians 4:1) According to verse 1, what is the standard of our behavior? What is the "calling" to which God has called us?

1. The standard of our behavior is to live the life worthy of the calling that we have received.

2. The calling to which God has called us is to be disciples and to be followers of Jesus.The way we walk, the way we talk,and the way we lead must be in the way that God gets the Glory.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Ephesians 4:1) According to verse 1, what is the standard of our behavior? What is the "calling" to which God has called us?

According to verse 1 the standard of our behavior is to follow Jesus, and to be like him. We are to live our lives in such a way that we bring credit (glory) to him.

The "calling" is a general calling to be disciples, and followers of Jesus. The way we walk, live a life, or lead a life must be worthy of the One who has called us to follow him.

According to versae 1 the standard of our behavior is to follow Jesus, and to be like him. We are to live our lives in such a way that we bring credit (glory) to him.

The "calling" is a general calling to be disciples, anf followers of Jesus. The way we walk, live a life, or lead a life must be worthy of the One who has called us to follow him.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

According to verse 1, our standard of behavior is to live in unity with one another, which is worthy of our calling to the service of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The calling to which God has called us is one hope, one Lord, one faith, one baptism and one God who is Father of all. 

• 1 year later...

We are to live a life that shows our true being. We need to be and act as faithful followers of Christ. We are to live above normal standards of character. We need to shine with the love of Christ radiating from us. We need to live honestly and positively. God has plans for each of us. He puts on paths to accomplish the goals that he has for us. He graces us with the Holy Spirit to help us find our strengths and weaknesses.

• 2 years later...
On 9/4/2006 at 8:46 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

.Full of Jesus, Full of Love 

To walk the walk of the Lord, to live a life that shows Jesus without saying a word.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q34. Our Calling
  • 2 months later...

Jesus died for us so that we can have eternal life and life abundantly. Therefore, we are to live a life that is reflective of His sacrifice for us; a life that is surrendered to Him so that the Holy Spirt can conform us to the image of Christ. A life worthy of the calling of God is a life that is completely surrendered to Jesus. Not our will but His will in every area of our lives. Then and only then will we be able to walk worthy of the calling, true submission to Jesus Christ…I’ve been crucified with Christ, thus it is no longer I who live, but Christ now lives in me and the life I now life in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me (Galatians 2:20). Subsequently, I die to self daily as I present myself a living sacrifice to Jesus, by the help of the Holy Spirit, because it is my reasonable service (Roman’s 12:1). This I believe is walking worthy of the call of God in Christ Jesus…a surrendered life to Christ!

Q34. (Ephesians 4:1) According to verse 1, what is the standard of our behavior? What is the "calling" to which God has called us?

We have been called to follow the Lord Jesus Christ. Our character should be like His character. We are called to be his disciples. His standard is therefore our standard. He is righteous, faithful and obedient to his master. So must we.

Q34. (Ephesians 4:1) According to verse 1, what is the standard of our behavior? What is the "calling" to which God has called us? 
True Christian behaviour involves surrendering our hearts and yielding our bodies to Christ. We are to be beacons of light in this dark world, by using our spiritual gifts to advance His kingdom, and in this way bring glory to our heavenly Father. We are called to be one people, a single family of God, and to be a holy people, distinct from the secular world, set apart to belong to God. To be called by God out from the world, from darkness, from damnation and into the body of Christ is the highest calling possible. We are to behave as one body; concentrating on the things that unite us: one Lord, one faith, one Spirit, and one God. We remember that we are made children of God through His grace only, and that we should endeavour to do everything in our power to live lives that are worthy of our calling. What motivates and stimulates our behaviour in attempting to live worthy lives is the grace by which we have been saved. We are called to follow Jesus, to be like Him and also to bring glory to Him. 

We are called to be disciples. To give God glory In everything we do. We are called to live lives that glorifies God at all times. It's the way Jesus lived and we are to follow his example. Our attitudes and the way we deal with others should always bring God the glory. Our behavior matters because it is always someone watching. Truly loving others is a part of that calling to. Even if they don't love us back or treat us fairly. That's not always easy but it's the way Jesus lived. Truly following Jesus means living by his rules not just saying I believe in Jesus and not doing what he says.

There are two clauses in this verse.

First -- As/because I’m a prisoner of the Lord,

Second -- I want you to live a life worthy of your calling.

I’m not sure I understand what’s going on in this verse. How is "living a life worthy of His calling" logically related to Paul’s imprisonment for the Lord? He had begun chapter three, as well, by identifying himself as a prisoner. His imprisonment seems to be something he wants to stress or impress on the Ephesians. 

So, what sort of imprisonment is it? Is he a physical prisoner in Rome? I had thought he was under house arrest but still able to receive guests and preach. Perhaps, then, his imprisonment is spiritual in the sense that he’s captivated by Christ, unable to live outside of Him?

Although subsequent verses have to do with the way Christian relate to each other, the “calling” to which Paul refers doesn't necessarily have a social or evangelistic meaning. I tend to think of calling in a personal sense, anyway, as a commission or assignment given to individual believers. In this verse, it can be this, because living a life worthy of my/your calling doesn’t imply every Ephesian has the same calling. Perhaps Paul is saying that as we actualize or live out our respective callings, we need to be kind, loving and good to the Christian people around us.

The behavioural commands in 2-6 are definitely corporate; they have to do with how the Ephesians relate to each other.

To sum, Paul, here, seems to be moving from the idea of 1) imprisonment to 2) calling to 3) acting charitably toward each other. 

I'll wait to see what Pastor Ralph says about the rest of the chapter to sort this out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2006 at 8:46 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

To live a life worthy of the calling I have received, bringing glory to God.

We are called to follow Jesus to be His disciple in humility and service in unity with the body of Christ.

• 3 weeks later...

A consistent walk is within the reach for the believer in CHRIST.   One's life in Christ is a continual sermon.   We act with holiness, humility, forbearance, patience and charity.  We need to spend time in prayer with our High Priest, Prophet, King and Mediator.   We need to be with those of like mind; befriend those who also walk with God.

We are called to follow Christ; we are moving heavenwards.  We are salt and light to this untoward generation.   The Ephesian Christains gave testimony to their faith by the way they lived.   No more idol worship, no more trips to the idol Temple of Diana.   What an impression that made on their business associates, neighbors and friends.  There were fellow pagan Ephesians that must have been so amazed when they noticed the new lives of the believers.

• 1 month later...