JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q37. Spiritual Gifts

God gave our spiritual gifts.

Spiritual gifts and our 'natural' talents are related together to use as one to glorify God. Our 'natural' talents were given to us when we are born and we develop them, giving glory back to God for them. While the spiritual gifts are given to edify, building within the body and the work of the ministry.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who gives spirtual gifts?Can our natural talents be related to our spirtual gifts? How? What is the difference between a natural God-given talent and a spirtual gift?

The one who gives the spirtual gifts is the Lord and when we pray what our talents is or what it is that we want from the Lord then spirtual gifts is possible.Our natural talents i think can be able to lead to the spirtual gifts or it is a combination of the two so we can be able to use natural and spirtual together for the will of God. A natural god-given talent is something that comes regular not something that a person has to practice or keep trying to get correct,and i think that is the major difference between gaining a spirtual gift and having a natural talent.

• 2 weeks later...
Q4. (Ephesians 4:7-10) Who gives spiritual gifts? Can our "natural" talents be related to our "spiritual" gifts? How? What is the difference between a natural God-given talent and a spiritual gift?

Our spiritual gifts are given to us by God. Both our natural and spirital gifts are given to us by God.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Q4. (Ephesians 4:7-10) Who gives spiritual gifts?

Our spiritual gifts come from God through the Holy Spirit

Can our "natural" talents be related to our "spiritual" gifts? How?

God created us and gave us our gifts. Both natural and spiritual gifts are gifts from God.

What is the difference between a natural God-given talent and a spiritual gift?

We are born with our natural gifts, but when we receive Christ we are given our spiritual gifts. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
Q4. (Ephesians 4:7-10) Who gives spiritual gifts? Can our "natural" talents be related to our "spiritual" gifts? How? What is the difference between a natural God-given talent and a spiritual gift?

the holy spirit gives the gifts. as for our natural talents being related to spirtual i don't think so. when i died to self all that went with it and god created me new,so the gifts are new. i'm sure that we can say we act in gods interest through our natural abilities and claim it for god and so decieve ourselves.but in all actuality, thats what the people did in matthew 25saying lord we did these in your name and he said go away i never knew you. the difference between the two is one has conditions the other is unconditional. one will wear you out the other will energize you.

• 3 months later...

Spiritual gifts are given by Christ through His Spirit. I think these supernatural giftings can be related to our natural talents. I am naturally an outgoing talker. This is a helpful trait that enhances what I believe to be my spiritual gift of teaching the Word. The LORD creates us with innate characteristics and talents that I believe are meant to complement the spiritual gifts He gives when we are saved.

I think a natural God-given talent is some ability a person is born with, something that just seems to naturally bloom over time. A person can develop a talent on his own through self-effort. A spiritual gift is a supernatural endowment given to specifically edify the Body of Christ, glorify God, and benefit His kingdom. This gifting can only be effective to accomplish those goals when exercised under the direct leadership of the Spirit. It often leads you to serve in ways that stretch you beyond what feels "natural" - requiring faith and obedience! And this spiritual ability should strengthen and improve a natural talent, giving it a new energy and vitality it never had before.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

God gives us our spirtual gifts. I truly believe that our natural talents our intertwined with our spiritual Gifts. It just makes perfect sense to me. I am a very shy person, but Through God he has allowed me to able to put myself in front of church, in various ways that seem to bless people, as in singing specials, leading the choir, leading dramas, these things to me awestruck me once again to the love and power of God, because I know through my own strength I could in no way possible do any of these things, that some people would not have a problem doing. I am truly thankful for His gifts.

• 1 year later...

God set ministry gifts in the church-not man.it was living growing energized body of believers with all the varied gifts and abilities

of its diverse linked together though the calling of God.to me the natural talents and spiritual gift come by God with He made man in his image.

no differe all can from God.

• 1 month later...

God gives spiritual gifts. Yes, our "natural" talents are related to our "spiritual" gifts. They all come from God. The difference between a natural God-given talent and a spiritual gift is that anybody can have a natural talent, and use it without ever giving recognition to the fact that it comes from God; a spiritual gift is something that is bestowed on a believer and used to give God glory.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (Ephesians 4:7-10) Who gives spiritual gifts?

Our Lord Jesus.

Can our "natural" talents be related to our "spiritual" gifts?

Yes, I've experienced this.

How?

In how He shapes our personalities, our bodies, minds, etc. For instance, before I became a Christian, it was noted that I am detail oriented and I loved books, loved to read, love solitude and study.

After I became a believer, I discovered I was given the gift of teaching, and of knowledge. (the two go together). So my " bent" to read and study and attention to detail and accuracy were "in me", but are now used by the Holy Spirit in the body of Christ.

My early life was abusive and painful which resulted in a tender compassionate heart for others. When I became a Christian, I discovered one of the gifts the Lord gave me was the gift of mercy, and also the gift of exhortation, so that I am able to weep with those who weep, and to encourage others "with the encouragement I've been given."

Often I think a God given talent can used for the edification of the individual, while a spiritual gift is for the edification of the body of Christ, or in the case of Evangelists, to the unsaved.

My Pastor had the God-given talent to be able to run FAST! He was an outstanding running back on the football field, earning scholarships to college where he was then recruited for the NFL. That natural God given talent allowed him to come out of poverty and obtain an education, and was then prepared when the Lord called him into ministry at the height of his football career.

Others have the the same gift, and excel in the Olympics, etc. but never become believers. Their gift brings them fame and fortune, but benefits only themselves or their families in the doors it opens and the income it provides. Seldom is God given credit for the "gift".

• 2 months later...

Q4. (Ephesians 4:7-10)

Who gives spiritual gifts?

Can our "natural" talents be related to our "spiritual" gifts?

How?

The ascended Jesus gives us each spiritual gifts. There is no difference between our talents or spiritual gifts if they are both used for His glory. Both are given by Christ. We must take comfort in the fact that whatever gifts we have received, either great or small, they are to be used as He requires.

• 9 months later...

4a)We are given our Spiritual gifts by God at the moment we accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. B) We are given our natural gifts at birth from our Creator. Our "natural" talents can be related to our spiritual gifts as God created us as we are & also has given us the spiritual gift/gifts to serve Him and others. :) C)A God-given talent is how God created us as individuals to excel in a certain area. A spiritual gift/gifts are given to us as the body of Christ to meet needs in the church & to serve each other & help get His Word out to the nations! We need to pray & listen to God to know he wants us to use our gifts to serve others. :D

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

It is God who gives spiritual gifts.

Yes. I believe our "natural" talents can be related to our "spiritual" gifts. God is the giver of all good gifts. He is the One who endowed us with both the natural and the spiritual gifts.

It is God who gave us both the "natural talents" and the "spiritual gifts" to empower and build the Body of Christ.

Natural God-given talent is that of being a good musician and a good athlete. Spiritual gift is given to an individual for edifying and building up the Body of Christ. Both are given by God for a purpose in the Body of Christ.

It is God who gives spiritual gifts.

Yes. I believe our "natural" talents can be related to our "spiritual" gifts. God is the giver of all good gifts. He is the One who endowed us with both the natural and spiritual gifts.

It is God who gave us both the "natural talents" and the "spiritual gifts" to empower and build the Body of Christ.

Natural God-given talent is that of being a good musician and a good athlete. Spiritual gift is given to an individual for edifying and building up the Body of Christ. Both are given by God for a purpose in the Body of Christ.

• 1 year later...

God is the one that gives us our spiritual gifts but I believe that our natural talents are related to our spiritual gifts. He gave us both so that we could be the best that we could be in Him. I have never tried to separate the difference between the natural God-given talents and the spiritual gifts because I have always thought of them being the same.

• 1 year later...

Christ gives the spiritual gifts by the holy Spirit. 

Our natural gifts and talents come from God, we were born with them. However, I have seen some that absolutely have no gifts at all, perhaps they never venture to find a talent. Spiritual gifts are those that are given to us by the Holy Spirit, for our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, which are used to strengthen the church and build up the body of Christ.

• 1 year later...

Spiritual gifts are given to us from the Father when we accept our salvation from Christ. The spiritual gift is fed and nurtured with the help of the Holy Spirit. I feel that natural talents are actually gifts from God to help us achieve the goals that he has set up for us. I do not feel that there is a difference between spiritual gift and natural gift except maybe the work that is used to describe them.

• 2 years later...
On 9/4/2006 at 8:48 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

God.

Yes I believe that our natural talents are related to our spiritual gifts. Because all good things come from God.

I do not believe there is a difference.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q37. Spiritual Gifts
  • 2 months later...

Q37. (Ephesians 4:7-10) Who gives spiritual gifts?

The Lord God Almighty gives spiritual gifts through the Lord Jesus Christ.

Can our "natural" talents be related to our "spiritual" gifts? How? What is the difference between a natural God-given talent and a spiritual gift?

Spiritual gifts and talents are both given by God. To me, spiritual gifts are those given by the coming of the Holy Spirit after receiving the Lord Jesus Christ as Saviour. These are like speaking in tongues that were fist manifested at Pentecost by the disciples. They also include ability to heal. Talents on the other hand are natural ability or skills that we are born with that enable produce for example, some crafted items without training etc.

Q37. (Ephesians 4:7-10) Who gives spiritual gifts? Can our "natural" talents be related to our "spiritual" gifts? How? What is the difference between a natural God-given talent and a spiritual gift? 
The ascended Jesus gives believers spiritual gifts. Each believer is given at least one spiritual gift (1 Cor. 12:1–12), no matter what natural talents they may or may not possess. A spiritual gift is a God-given ability to serve God and other Christians in such a way that Christ is glorified and believers are edified. It is a gift used for the unifying and building up of the body of Christ. For believers there is no difference between our talents or spiritual gifts, since both are given by Christ and both are used for His glory. Unbelievers do not receive spiritual gifts, but by the grace of God they may receive natural talents which are blessings that are not part of salvation. 
Here, all are not created equal, because some are smarter, or stronger, or more talented than others. This is part of God’s common grace given to all people and is not restricted to believers or to the elect only. The elect receive saving grace. We must take comfort in the fact that whatever gifts we have received, either great or small, they are to be used as He requires. 

It is The Lord who gives spiritual gifts. Yes the natural talents can be related to the spiritual gifts. Some people in the world feels it's just my natural talent to be able to fix this or that, or to paint. I was born this way to be able to do this or I taught myself to do it. So they give themselves the credit. God deserves the credit. There are so many talents and gifts God has given to humans. To me it is an extension of who he is. God is all knowing and the most talented person. And we are blessed that he shared some of this with us as individuals. God delights in variety. It doesn't matter it can be the gifts of healing or simply knowing how to fix watches or to make watches from scratch God gave you the ability. Even if the person doesn't want to recognize God for it, God still gave the ability. Natural talent someone wants to call it or Spiritual, God still gave it. All glory goes to him.