JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q39. Gift of Evangelism

Q2. (Ephesians 4:11) How can we stir up the gift of evangelism among members of our congregations? What might be the earmarks of a person with this gift? How can we encourage and stimulate the Spirit-gifted evangelists in our midst?

We can stir up the gift of evangelism among members of our congregations by becoming congregations that are faithful to God, that perform the works or the duties given by God to our congregations included evangelist work.

The earmarks of a person with this gift might these. Firstly, he/she has a great longing to share the Gospel to the unbelievers and they will go readily and willingly to any place for that. Secondly, through his ministry many unbelievers come to Jesus as their savior and lord.

We can encourage and stimulate the Spirit-gifted evangelists in our midst by reminding them to keep doing the works of an evangelist so that the gift of God in them keeps being in flame does not become extinguished. Then is by helping them with providing or supplying what he/she needs for their ministry.

• 4 weeks later...

By being faithful, supporting the church and it's endeavors, and supporting our missionary groups.

The earmarks of an evangalist might be a gifted speaker, one who holds the audience's attention, has a burning love for Christ, and is led by the Spirit.

We can encourage and stimulate through prayer and confirmation of their gift, letting them know how important we believe their work to be.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Ephesians 4:11) How can we stir up the gift of evangelism among members of our congregations?

We can pray about it daily, and have studies that talk about evangelism and how to witness. We should also preach the importance of evangelism and remind them of

• 1 month later...
Q2. (Ephesians 4:11) How can we stir up the gift of evangelism among members of our congregations? What might be the earmarks of a person with this gift? How can we encourage and stimulate the Spirit-gifted evangelists in our midst?

i think we need to live out the life within us first. we need to let the unbelieving world see that there is a true and living god within us.as we walk by faith they will either crave what the lord is doing in our lives or they will hate us for what the lord is doing in our lives. either way, they will be shown the gospel truth and they will have to choose for themselves whom they will believe.

• 3 months later...

I think first of all, we could stir up the gift of evangelism in our congregations by recognizing and emphasizing its importance and validity. And we should pray for evangelists to be raised up in our midst. A person with this gift would probably have a deep love for the study of God's Word, a deep love for lost people, and a deep compelling desire to share the good news of Christ.

A beginning point for encouraging Spirit-gifted evangelists would be to assist every believer in discovering his/her spiritual gifting. Most believers don't have a clue what their gift is or how to use it.

• 4 weeks later...

In order to stir up the gift of evangelism we need apostles and good preachers. We need prophets to awaken us to the needs and apostles to show us how to meet those needs. The preachers can teach us what we need to know and inspire us. People who love to tell others what God has done for them and their faith story are quite often those gifted with evangelism. People who are not self-conscious and are outgoing certainly have traits that would be helpful in evangelism and those who can handle rejection well also have a trait which might come in handy.

We can ask the entire membership for suggestions on where we might need to send an evangelist or an area that needs service that could also benefit from evangelism. Once we find that area, we need to bring everyone

• 1 year later...

Q2. (Ephesians 4:11) How can we stir up the gift of evangelism among members of our congregations?

Through teaching and training....many sit in church believing evangelism is bringing someone to hear the Pastor preach in order for them to be saved. WE are the evangelists, not the Pastor. Teaching and equipping the saints to know how to evangelize and preparing the body of Christ is important. Also, teaching the importance of evangelism, and the alternative for folks (eternal damnation) who aren't reached with the Gospel is helpful.

What might be the earmarks of a person with this gift?

I have this gift, and find that I can't help myself! I am passionate about reaching the unsaved and I love people. I'm passionate about and love God's Word. I look for every opportunity to introduce Jesus into the conversation wherever I am, but not in a pushy aggressive way. I find ways to share what He's doing in my life if it pertains to the conversation, or to the hope I have, when difficulties or the world situation is brought up. However, the work of evangelism is for every believer, not just for those who have a special gifting. I've also seen statistics which make me feel really sad....that 98% of the witnessing is done in the first 3 years of a believers new faith, then it stops. How are we going to reach the world if it becomes passe or irrelevant to our lives to share Christ after we are saved for a couple of years?

How can we encourage and stimulate the Spirit-gifted evangelists in our midst?

I don't know how to answer that one, except perhaps prayer for the discouraged. Some churches teach classes on how to discover your spiritual gifts...this was very helpful to me. The class also helped in developing your gifts, and in using them. we were taught how to write out our testimony and memorize it so it could be given in 3 minutes on an elevator or a walk to the coffee shop on the corner. It consisted of "what my life was like before I met Jesus, how I received Him (with scripture to let them know how to receive Him), and briefly, how He's changed my life since then. When you're prepared it's easy and very natural and you don't "get lost" in long detailed accounts which aren't helpful to the listener.

During a time of depression and despair as a new believer, I just wanted Jesus to come back so I could go to live with Him....in the midst of my prayer begging Him to come and get me, He gave me a vision which changed my life. I was standing in a long line of people slowly making my way toward a great white throne (at the time I had no idea what that was, nor that it was in Scripture). Next to me was another line of people inching their way along. I recognized many of them...some were family members, and neighbors, and their countenance was very sad. They knew it was too late for them and their destiny was sealed. Suddenly they turned to me and said "Why didn't you ever tell me about Jesus when you had the chance? Now it's too late. You are going to be with Him, and we are lost!"

I can't even express what happened to me next...except that I snapped out of my despair (now that I'd seen real reason for despair), and have been about my Father's business ever since. I don't ever want to hear those words from anyone. At the same time, I'm not frantic...I share as the Spirit leads, not in the flesh or in a desperate way...He is the One who saves...I'm just a messenger.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (Ephesians 4:11)

How can we stir up the gift of evangelism among members of our congregations?

What might be the earmarks of a person with this gift?

How can we encourage and stimulate the Spirit-gifted evangelists in our midst?

I remember doing a course, at our church, on giving our testimonies. It helped us tremendously in becoming comfortable in speaking to others about how we came to Jesus. We practised and became more skilled and confident. This could be a start in stirring others to evangelise. They could then realise they have the gift to share the gospel with others. A person with a passion for spreading the message of salvation, one that realises the urgent need that exists in the world today, are perhaps the characteristics of a person with this gift. Evangelist need our support and we can do this with our prayer support, financial support, encouragement, and communicating with them, understanding their needs and concerns.

• 6 months later...

I believe one of the best ways to encourage evangelistic gifts today is to offer concrete tools people can use. Too often we think of evangelism as street-corner preaching or tract-passing. However, those approaches, while undoubtedly used by God at times, are pretty ineffective these days and often serve to alienate non-believers. Practical strategies and encouragement for authentic, relational evangelism are very helpful.

• 2 months later...

a)We need to look around us, and have a heart for the lost souls in our community. In our congregations we could encourage each person to share their faith story/journey to faith,of what/who made them aware of need for God to forgive their sins & how they asked Jesus into their hearts, and what difference this has made in their life since. We need to practice until it comes naturally. If we share this with other Christians, we gain the confidence then to listen to unbelievers & share our story in a natural way that may be relevant to them. B) B) The individual who has this gift displays an inclination to talk to anyone about the Lord and His gospel.Be a good listener, be spirit filled & passionate about Christ and the need to spread the good news, be able to communicate this :) c) We should financially help those we want to encourage,so less money worries.Prayer support will help.. Keeping in touch with encouragement, give opportunities for gifting to be nurtured & used. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I believe we can encourage them but as far as that goes Christ is the only one who can stir and stimulate evangelism and the spirit gifted. An earmark for a person with the gift is compassion for the lost.

• 4 months later...

1. How can we stir up the gift of the evangelism among memebers of our congregatin?

I feel we can stir up the gift of evangelism among our members by teaching and speaking the the accurate Word of God, not to milky way it to fit what they want to hear. Not an easy task but god has chose us to do this. Once we understand that we have instructions in the Word of how we should live and study, teach and preach the Word to those who do not know the Lord. Those who are far awasy in remote areas that cannot get the Word, this what an evangelism is.

2.What might be the earmarks of a person with this gift?

An earmart of a person with this gift would be always encouraging you throught the Word of God. Caring for those who has less, coordinating progra to feed and clothe the homeless. Teach them of God and his goodness.

3. How can we encourage and stimulate the Spirit-gifted evangelist in our midst?

We can encourage this by staying in our Word and letting God lead us. People are so unstable in their faith that they have a need to feel secure and it is terrbile that they will sometimes just look at man (outside)and not the spirit.

• 6 months later...

We can stir up the gift of evangelism among members of our congregation by encouraging those who show interest in this ministry/commission entrusted to the Church.

The earmarks of a person with thius gift is our modern day evangelist who travels from place to placew teaching and preaching the good news to both saved and the unsaved.

We can encourage and stimulate the Spirit-gifted evangelists in our midst by supporting them financially and by praying for them and their families that the Lord would open the door for them to teach and preach his Word.

We can stir up the gift of evangelism among members of our congregation by encouraging those who show interest in this ministry/commission entrusted to the church by Jesus.

The earmarks of a person with this gift is our modern day evangelist who travels from place to place teaching and preaching the good news to both saved and the unsaved.

We can encourage and stimulate the Spirit-gifteds evangelists in our midst by supporting them financially and by praying for them and their families that the Lord would open the door for them to teach and preach his Word.

• 1 year later...

I don’t know how we can stir up the gift of evangelism among the members of the congregation. Maybe if we were more enthusiastic about the gospel them we would want everybody else to know about Him.

One of the earmarks of a person with this gift is that he is willing to speak to anybody about his beliefs. But in our society it is frowned upon to talk to somebody that is not part of us to discuss what Christ is doing for us.

• 1 year later...

Evangelism is a rare gift, perhaps not teaching or being a pastor they are gifted with proclaiming the gospel and leading people Christ. They are a sort of traveling missionary.

Congregations should seek out these members with these gifts of evangelism and support their ministry.

• 1 year later...

I believe that we must hit the hearts of the members of a congregation. We need to create an atmosphere where the Holy Spirit can be felt by all. We need to allow people to have the opportunity to be heard and to be able to tell their story. We need to listen willingly and openly to what everyone has to say. We need to allow open discussion about the bible and individual interpretations of the word. We must believe that God is still speaking today. We must believe that God is still opening hearts and minds and souls of individuals to continue His work here on earth.

• 2 years later...
On 9/4/2006 at 8:52 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

I believe God calls some to be evangelist and in that calling we need to help them realize the gift that has been given to them.

The gift of preaching of reaching people.

Have them along side of another brother or sister already is established. 

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q39. Gift of Evangelism
  • 2 months later...

Q39. (Ephesians 4:11) How can we stir up the gift of evangelism among members of our congregations? What might be the earmarks of a person with this gift? How can we encourage and stimulate the Spirit-gifted evangelists in our midst? 
I remember doing a Bible course, at our church, on giving our testimonies. It helped us tremendously in becoming comfortable in speaking to others about how we came to Jesus. We practised and became more skilled and confident. Taking a similar course could then be a start in stirring others to evangelise. Helping them to realise that they have the gift to share the gospel with others. As believers we are told to bear witness to Christ and His good news, but the gift of evangelism is something more. This person may have a special gift of making the gospel particularly plain and relevant to unbelievers, or of helping people to take the plunge of commitment to Jesus, or of effective personal witnessing. They will be a person with a passion for spreading the message of salvation, one that realises the urgent need that exists in the world today, are perhaps the characteristics of a person with this gift. Evangelist need our support and we can do this with our prayer support, financial support, encouragement, and communicating with them, understanding their needs and concerns. 

Q39. (Ephesians 4:11) How can we stir up the gift of evangelism among members of our congregations? What might be the earmarks of a person with this gift? How can we encourage and stimulate the Spirit-gifted evangelists in our midst?

This can be achieved through preaching to the congregation so as to stir up the spirit of evangelism among the congregation.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the Holy Spirit "stirs up" His own gifts. Any "stirring," "encouraging" and "stimulating" which is not of and by Him could lead to a Christian falsely believing he possessed gifts that had not been given to him. The Bible mentions "false" prophets and teachers; presumably false evangelists exist, too. Is it up to us to provide opportunities for other believers to use their gifts? Perhaps, but ultimately God opens doors. 

In a way, this question is related to a prior discussion on natural and spiritual giftedness. If you believe that natural gifts are or could be spiritual gifts, it makes sense to develop those gifts -- to stir them up. If you believe that gifts are given gratis, as the need arises, by the Holy Spirit, such stirring isn't necessary.

I was struck by the comments upthread which mentioned evangelism classes in church which included writing and memorizing an "elevator pitch" as well as speaking points. Since we're all called to evangelize, this seems smart. This could be a way of "stirring up" gifts.

--

The "fruit" of a gift is confirmation of it's existence, it's "earmarks." If one claims to be a prophet, then his/her prophecies should be tested to determine their truthfulness; if one claims to be an evangelist, there should be converts in his/her trail; if one claims to be a teacher, people should be taught, etc. Simply pointing out to people what they're already doing successfully would be encouraging to them, I hope. It's difficult for some people to believe and see that they have certain gifts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2006 at 8:52 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Not everyone has the gift of evangelism but the Word says - And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. (Mark 16:15)  That alone should motivate us.  Compassion for the lost.  Also, be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: (I Peter 3:15b)

Earmarks of Evangelist - Love for the Lord, the sinner, the Word, the Gospel, and is a good communicator, and has the has the Holy Spirit.

Pray that the Lord would stir up the gift in them, the Lord would send them into the field, that they would be obedient, that they would fear no man but only God, that they would know God is with them, loves them and that they would have victory and bear much fruit.

• 4 weeks later...

Preaching and teaching on 1 Peter 2:9 and Acts of the Apostles.  Many Christians have mistaken notions on 1 Peter 2:9.   Throughout the years, the "laity" have been taught "pray, pay and obey".  As far as evangelical work goes....they were taught that is only for the "clergy" to do.  By virtue of their Baptismal covenant, Christians have callings and charismata that have been kept in the cupboard.

Someone of serious disposition.  A serious Bible student accustomed to prayer and sacrifice.   A candidate for evangelism must have A BURDEN FOR SOULS.  When  interviewing such a candidate, the interviewer can readily see this in the candidate's demeanor.   Very important qualities indeed for evangelical work.  Nowadays these qualities are practically non-existent in believers.  From my experience, it is very hard just to get someone to assist in outdoor preaching and Gospel tracts distribution.   

To stimulate interest in evangelical work is simple!   It is prayer and Bible study time! I look at evangelical ministry as worship time.  When on the road to a destination, it is prayer time and meditation.   Outdoor evangelistic time is holy ministry !   Yes..a time for serious Bible discussions and preparation to preach the Gospel.  

Very important to stress that evangelism is not a tourist walk through NYC nor day out for socializing.   By stressing the high importance of evangelism, people will see that this is truly fulfilling 1 Peter 2:9.   As they sacrificially fulfill their callings, they will become even more diligent Bible students and prayer intecessors.   The things of the world will fall by the wayside.

Edited by Jonathan Edwards
Need to complete question

• 1 month later...

Maybe we can stir up the gift of evangelism among members of our congregations by talking more about it. I can’t remember the last time that we talked about evangelism. I have seen some that can talk to other about Christ and not have the people they are talking to get offended. To me that is the sign of an evangelist. We can assure them that this is their calling.