JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (Ephesians 4:26-27). Why did God give us the emotion of anger, do you think?

To give us a natural reaction to injustice so it can be stopped.

How can anger be dangerous?

It becomes dangerous when it is a result of selfishness, or envy and you lose control of your anger. When that happens it

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Ephesians 4:26-27). Why did God give us the emotion of anger, do you think? How can anger be dangerous? How can we keep from sinning when we are angry? Is anger itself sin?

we needed it to know humility. it's a warning device if you will, to show us how close we are to sin. if we cross the anger line we will certainly hurt someone or something including ourselves.we need to turn our emotions in to god. he alone will balance them and protect them even in the worst degree.we must trust him.

• 3 months later...

God gave us anger so we would react to cruelty and injustice in such a way that we would not allow it to exist. We need to allow anger to cause us to speak up and try to correct wrong doing when we see it. However, we must be careful that we do not allow anger to cause us to sin. If we let ourselves become bitter then we harden our hearts and allow all of the temptations to enter in again. We must keep our eyes open to any anger in ourselves and check to be sure it is justified. If it is, then we should act on it. But, we must act in such a manner that we don

• 4 months later...

Anger is a God-given emotion that rouses us to the defense of self and/or others in the face of insult, injury, and injustice of all kinds. It's mostly an involuntary response to offense or perceived danger. It is not sinful in and of itself. It should lead us to righteous action to correct a wrong.

But what makes anger dangerous and wicked is what we do with that emotion. When we allow the passion of the feeling to drive our response, we lose the self-control and inhibitions that keep us civil. And if you know anything about dealing with an emotion-driven person, you know that a situation can quickly go from bad to worse! When anger is inappropriately aroused (a person is too sensitive, for instance), becomes a cherished object of your thoughts, leads to a desire for revenge, or causes you to have an unforgiving and resentful spirit, it is sinful.

In practical terms for myself, controlling anger requires something to break that swell of emotion. I often simply say that I am too angry to respond at that moment, and I separate myself from the situation long enough to calm that inner firestorm and get my thoughts together (and pray for help!). It helps to try and identify what the real reason is for being angry. To wrongly handle the passion of anger is to open the door for the Enemy to further his work of stealing, killing, and destroying me and others (John 10:10). As difficult as it is, the highest priority should be redemptive, which will demand a humble attitude. And that can only be done accurately by giving it to the Holy Spirit, seeking His power and wisdom to respond righteously.

• 1 year later...
Q2. (Ephesians 4:26-27). Why did God give us the emotion of anger, do you think? How can anger be dangerous? How can we keep from sinning when we are angry? Is anger itself sin?

Be angry but do not sin (4:26) acknowledges a common human emotion.with we do well to confess our anger deal with it and leave it behind.the reference is to being provoked to sin by satan but one must not yield to such provoking or give place to the devil.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Ephesians 4:26-27). Why did God give us the emotion of anger, do you think?

Anger alerts us to abuse, others control & manipulation, the need to take action at times and to speak up about injustice, to move toward righting a wrong...a number of things.

Anger undealt with can turn into rage, retaliation, hurting others, road rage, "nuking" people verbally, it can lead to murder, etc. Conversely, if "stuffed internally", unacknowledged, it can tear down your health, and cause emotional instability.

How can we keep from sinning when we are angry?

I grew up in a sometimes violent home, and decided anger was too dangerous to acknowledge and was childish, so I learned to "stuff it", and lost the ability to recognize when I was angry. Anger is an energy force which swirls around inside us until it's dealt with, so I became ill with all kinds of back pain, headaches, sinus trouble....yet still "expressed" the anger, though in passive aggressive ways.

H. Norm Wright, Christian counselor echoed what my counselor suggested in dealing with anger. (although first I had to ask God to alert me to when I was angry in the moment instead of a month after an incident!...and He was faithful to do that so He could heal the damaged emotions of a lifetime of abuse and to teach me how to deal with anger without sinning)

This is what they suggested: First, in a journal or on a piece of paper, write about the anger...what happened, how I felt about it, did it remind me of previous injustices, abuse or cruelty...write freely not worrying about punctuation, spelling, etc...just get it all out of you and onto the paper. Interestingly, the angry energy actually flows out onto the paper. (the journal or paper should not be seen by others, so either destroy the paper or keep the journal in a safe place where your privacy will not be violated)

Writing about it brings clarity, and you are able to see your part in it, if any, when you're calm.

Next, forgive the offender, and yourself if you've acted in a sinful way.

When you're calm, have prayed, forgiven, then give the anger to God and ask Him to provide a time for you to deal with the issue with the other person/persons if necessary...ask forgiveness, make restitution, whatever is needed to reconcile. (providing they are not abusive, dangerous, unsafe, etc.)

Is anger itself sin?

No, it's a God given emotion...it only becomes sin if we harbor it into becoming resentment and bitterness or if we hurt others with our anger.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (Ephesians 4:26-27).

Why did God give us the emotion of anger, do you think?

How can we keep from sinning when we are angry?

Is anger itself sin?

At times we as believers may be legitimately angry against sin. We are not told that we shouldn't feel angry, but that it is important to handle our anger properly. If vented thoughtlessly, anger can hurt others and destroy relationships. If bottled up inside, it can cause us to become bitter and destroy us from within. We find many passages in the Bible where God was angry, 1Ki 11:9; 2Ki 17:18; Psa 79:5, and Christ was also angry, Mar 3:5; John 2:15-17. Aristotle said,

• 6 months later...

As many have stated, anger can propel us to act when faced with injustice--racism, greed, human trafficking, abortion--basically, humans using others for their own selfish purposes. Anger can and should be channeled into making change so as to bring the love of Christ and the power of the Spirit to the forefront. We do not have to stand idly by while these injustices take place. However, I would say 99% of the anger we deal with (including mine) is unhealthy and self-focused. We hold on to the little things, protect our own pride, get caught up in petty arguments. As a mother of three young kids, I surprise myself with how quickly anger rises to the surface! It's been a revealing experience, to say the least. I do have to implement concrete strategies to retain self-control: walk away, think of a verse, call a friend, even pray right then and there with the child (harder than it sounds)! I am continually working on this. What a humbling experience dealing with anger can be!

• 3 months later...

In a sense i think to set boundaries. Anger can be dangerous if it is not dealt with so it will not build up and be dwelt on. Pray! No anger is not a sin its what we do or think with that anger that is a sin.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

1. Why did God give us the emotion of agner, do you think?

God gave us anger so that we would not be passive and let injustice come to us. We are not to let people walk all over us. We must be able to control anger.

2. How can anger be dangerous?

Not dealing with Anger can be dangerous;it can manifest into to selfness, bitterness and unconrollable anger can result in vengenance and Vengance is mines says the Lord.

3. How can we keep from sinning when we are angry?

We can keep from sinning by talking about it and forgiving the person or thing that upset us.

"speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him" (4:15). If God is the ultimate truth, and we are "created to be like God" (4:24), then we too must speak like our Father, and put away forever the double-speak of our former father, the father of lies (John 8:44). The reason for speaking truth within the Christian community is plain: "for we are all members of one body" (4:25).

Is anger sin?

No anger is not sin however keepin it inside of you will make you sin?

• 6 months later...

I think God gave us the emotion of anger as a natural reaction to injustice. It is an emotion God gives us so we will not passively allow injustice to have its way forever.

Anger can be dangerous if we do not deal with it.

We can keep from sinning when we are angry by being careful of our speech and language we use towards people. We can also self-control ourselves so that anger does not become abusive and violent.

Anger itself is not sin.

I think God gave us the emotion of anger as a natural reaction to injustice. It ia an emotions God gives us so we will not passively allow injustice to have its way forever.

Anger can be dangerous if we do not deal with it.

We can keep from sinning when we are angry by being careful of our speech and language we use towards people. We can also self-control ourselves so that anger does not become abusive and violent.

Anger itself is not sin.

• 1 year later...

The reason that God gave us the emotion of anger is so that we could overcome those things that are unjust otherwise those things would take over our life. We can keep from sinning when we are angry be keeping control of our anger, like holding our tongue and not saying then when we are at the heat of anger. We should be able to address it in a civil matter after the initial burn is done. Anger in itself is not a sin. It helps us to overcome things that are sinful.

• 1 year later...

I believe God gave us the emotion of anger to use so we do not become passive when we are wronged. Some examples would be if our family was wronged by an individual or society, we must stand up for our rights. Also, in being treated fairly in our finances, against wrongs from landlords, unfair taxes, and fair wages for our labor,

Anger can become dangerous when we totally give in to its compulsive reactions. It can lead us to do material and physical damage, including murder. Jealously and greed can exacerbate anger till its totally out of control.

We must pray that we learn how to keep anger under control, so it does not become sinful for us. With love we can keep anger under restraint, so that it leads not to sin.

Anger in its self is not sinful. Our Lord used it in the temple when He over threw the money changers and sellers of animals for sacrifice. He used His anger to show that even God can get angry at times, but only to show His justice, mercy and love.     

• 1 year later...

I think God gave us the emotion of anger so that we have a way to fight for justice. He gave us an emotion that causes us to want to take action. However, we need to control this emotion. We cannot allow it to control us. We need to stay in balance. We need to act with all our senses when we are angry. We need to be able to make our point clearly without hurting anyone or anything. We cannot act or speak recklessly.

• 2 years later...
On 9/4/2006 at 8:57 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

God gave us the emotion of anger for injustice that goes on around us to deal with injustice.

We should control our anger for it can get out of control, you see that on the news, what people do when there anger get's out of control.

To stop and think, give your self breathing time, I ask what would Jesus want me to do?

No anger itself is not, it's when you let it go on.  

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q43. Anger
  • 2 months later...

I think God gave us the emotion of anger to freely express the injustice happening to us. Anger can be dangerous when it is build on our selfish desires and out of disobedience, we can keep from sinning when we are angry by not letting the sun go down on our anger. No anger itself is not sin.

Q43. (Ephesians 4:26-27). Why did God give us the emotion of anger, do you think? How can anger be dangerous? How can we keep from sinning when we are angry? Is anger itself sin? 
At times we as believers may be legitimately angry against sin. We are not told that we shouldn't feel angry, but that it is important to handle our anger properly. If vented thoughtlessly, anger can hurt others and destroy relationships. If bottled up inside, it can cause us to become bitter and destroy us from within. We find many passages in the Bible where God was angry, 1Ki 11:9; 2Ki 17:18; Psa 79:5, and Christ was also angry, Mar 3:5; John 2:15-17. Aristotle said, “Anybody can become angry - that is easy; but to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not easy.” If we are angry for the wrong reasons we should confess and forsake it quickly. Confession should be made both to God and to the victim of their anger. There should be no nursing of grudges, no harbouring of resentments, no carrying over of irritations. We must not let the sun go down on our wrath. Anything that mars fellowship with God or with others should immediately be made right. So, anger that is a righteous controlled anger against an injustice is not sinful. 

Q44. (Ephesians 4:29-32) What kind of "unwholesome talk" is common among us Christians? What three guidelines does Paul give us to measure the value of what we say? What is slander? How common is it among Christians? How can we prevent it? 
Unwholesome speech is corrupt speech and generally means conversation that is filthy and suggestive; this would include off-colour jokes, profanity, and dirty stories. But it could even include speech that is frivolous, empty, idle, and worthless. Paul deals with obscene and vile language in Eph 5:4 but here he is telling us to abandon profitless speech and substitute it with more positive and constructive conversation. Our speech should be more edifying in that it should result in building up our listeners. Also, it should be more appropriate in that it should be more suitable to the occasion. It can also be more gracious in that it should impart grace to our listeners. Slander is an abusive attack on another person’s character, or even lies spoken to damage the reputation of another. A person cannot entertain evil thoughts and thoughts about the Lord Jesus at the same time. If, then, an evil thought should come to us, we should immediately get rid of it by meditating on the Person and work of Christ. For example, In Php 4:8 we read, “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.” (One of my favourite verses). You do not have to look very closely to find the Lord Jesus Christ in this verse. Everything that is true, noble, just, pure, lovely, of good report, virtuous, and praiseworthy is found in Him. If only we could concentrate on our Saviour Lord Jesus there would not be space in our minds for unwholesome talk. 

Q43. (Ephesians 4:26-27). Why did God give us the emotion of anger, do you think? How can anger be dangerous? How can we keep from sinning when we are angry? Is anger itself sin?

He gave us the emotion of anger to enable us to see and react appropriately by correcting a wrong. Jesus Christ was angry when his Father’s house was turned into a business center for buying/selling and money exchange.

However anger can be dangerous as demonstrated by the elder brother of the prodigal son and Cain who was jealous and angry because God accepted his brother’s sacrifice while his own sacrifice was not accepted.

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2006 at 8:57 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Because anger can be a natural action to an injustice.  The emotion that God gives us so we will not passively allow injustice to have its way forever.

Anger can be dangerous because it can have many deceitful roots like selfishness, uncontrollable anger, bitterness and a foothold to Satan.

Be slow to anger, don't let the sun go down on your wrath, have self-control and don't let the devil have a foothold.

Anger itself is not sin.

Anger can be a motivating force in times of injustice or when we witness God's Word being cast aside.   There are legitimate times that warrant our anger.  

Anger that festers long--breeds bitterness.  We have to make drastic changes to deal with festering anger.  We need to deal with this anger that never ends.  God doesn't  condemn anger itself.   The Prophet Ezekiel speaks constantly about the anger of God.   As New Covenant believers,  we must be cognizant that mercy o verides wrath.  We must pray and seek the Lord after we have had episodes of anger; we need that daily anointing from above.   Having constant anger impedes that Holy Spirit renewal.   We  cannot afford to hang on to anger; we are temples of the Holy Spirit.   It is absolutely imperative that our inner hearts have the peace of  Christ reigning. My motto is LET GO, LET GOD.