JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. (Ephesians 5:28) In what sense is a husband's care for his wife's needs just common sense in taking care of his own needs? What is the principle from Genesis 2:24 that underlies this?

Christ is the great proctector and comforter of the church. So the husband is to be the protector and comforter of the wife. In Genesis 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife:and they shall be one flesh.

• 2 months later...

Q3. (Ephesians 5:28) In what sense is a husband's care for his wife's needs just common sense in taking care of his own needs?

Her needs should be important because he loves her, but also because her unmet needs affect him. She is part of him now, and to neglect her is to neglect part of himself. It would be like the "head" taking care of his hangnail, while ignoring her's, which will turn into an infection affecting the whole body. Since oneness and unity between the two, now become one, is God's design, the hearts need to join not just the physical bodies.

What is the principle from Genesis 2:24 that underlies this?

They have become one flesh through marriage.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Q3. (Ephesians 5:28) In what sense is a husband's care for his wife's needs just common sense in taking care of his own needs? What is the principle from Genesis 2:24 that underlies this?

When man and woman marry in holy matrimony they become one. Just like we have needs so does the other partner in the marriage so for the circle to be whole we as men should want and should also want the wife to have her needs met like we want ours met. The principle is that we shall cleave unto our wife and become "one".

• 4 months later...

1. In what sense is a husband's care for his wife's needs just common sense in taking care of his own needs?

It's common sense in the sense that by caring for your wife's needs will bring her confidence to depend on his leadership and joy as she pleases him (cares for him). By following the commands of the Lord will bring

joy to the household and everyone's needs will be met.

2. What is the principle from Genesis 2:24 that underlies this?

The principle is that mothers are the ones who care of their children (sons). When husband and wife are joined together the wife takes over the responsibility of the mother and cares for her husband as the mother

cared for her son.

1. In what sense is a husband's care for his wife's needs just common sense in takin gcaro of is owen needs?

The sense is this, if he take care of his body and needs then he is to take care of his wife needs and body as well. They are 1 now there is no separation, when you were married, you became one. So what he does to himself, he is doing that to his wife.

2.What is the principle fro Genesis 2:24 that underlies this?

The principle points to a unity of persons not simply to a conjunction of bodies or a community of interest. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mtoher and shhall cleave unto his wife and they shall be ONE flesh.

• 7 months later...

Christ loves his Church and sacrifices his life for it. His blood cleanses his Church from all impurities of life. In like manner the husband ought to lay down his life for his his wife and take responsibility for the wife's welfare.

The principle from Genesis 2:24 that underlies this divine truth is "The two will become one flesh."

Christ loves his Church and sacrifices his life for it. His blood cleanses his Church from all impurities of life. In like manner the husband ought to lay down his life for his wife and take responsibility for the wife's welfare.

The principle from Genesis 2:24 that underlies this divine truth is "The two will become one flesh."

• 3 weeks later...

3a)We are united, If wife hurts,husband feels it too, therefore treating her well,will enable her to be fulfilled &love husband more.Husband taking care of wife,is also taking care of of himself. :)

B Husbands leave his father & mother and he is joined with his wife as one flesh, the 2 will become one.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Taking care for his wife's needs are just like taking care of his own body and needs for daily life. Taking care of his wife will defiantly bring happiness to his married life, it's only common sense.

The principle from Gen: 2 ;24 states "a man shall leave his mother and father and shall become united and cleave to his wife and they shall become one flesh" unity and love are the underlining theme of the passage. What God has united let no man separate.  

• 1 year later...

As a husband takes care of his wife's needs, he is really taking care of his own. When he provides a good home, food, this is not only for her but for him. If he makes his wife happy, she in turn will take care of him the same way. When a man and woman marry, they become one. They become joined in a union that is blessed by God. And this is the meaning behind Genesis 2:24.

• 2 years later...
On 9/4/2006 at 9:08 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The two are now one.

"The two will become one flesh"

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q52. One Flesh
  • 2 months later...

Q52. (Ephesians 5:28) In what sense is a husband's care for his wife's needs just common sense in taking care of his own needs? What is the principle from Genesis 2:24 that underlies this? 
It is common sense because her needs are my needs – we are a unit and function as one. What hurts her hurts me. This is affirmed in Genesis 2:24 were we read “and they will become one flesh”. So, too, as believers, we both suffer and celebrate together because we're all members of the same body. Perhaps some husbands may find it difficult to fully understand the greatness of Christ’s love, and have difficulty in applying it to the realities of their marriage. We all know how much we love ourselves, hence the advice that we should treat others, in this case my wife, as we would ourselves like to be treated (Mat 7:12). This is a useful guide to daily behaviour, but also highlights the fact that the husband and his wife are in fact “one flesh”. 

Q52. (Ephesians 5:28) In what sense is a husband's care for his wife's needs just common sense in taking care of his own needs? What is the principle from Genesis 2:24 that underlies this?

The Bible says that we are one, one body. It thus implies that I should not just focus on my own needs but to also consider her needs too.

• 2 weeks later...

"The two SHALL become one flesh."

In contractual or legal language, shall and will are not the same verb. Shall is a stronger modal verb. Shall's meaning is binding and compulsory whereas will has a hope-to-do-something sense. Thus, this verse is saying that in a marriage, it is mandatory to be ONE body/flesh; not optional, or airy-fairy hopeful.

What this verse doesn't answer who is obligated or mandated. Does God make a couple one, or is oneness a consequence of a couple's own efforts?

• In the Matthew verse quoted by Pastor Ralph, God unites the couple as one, but ...
  • ... in Paul's Ephesian description, it reads more like our responsibility to make ourselves into one flesh, even though, later in the verse, he admits oneness is a mystery.
  • Also, Pastor Ralph himself said that the "key to marriage ... is the uniting of our uniqueness to be one." That sounds as if it is the responsibility is on the man and woman, not God.

--

The idea that a man who cares for his wife helps himself profoundly disturbs me. That's not love but selfishness; it's the obligatory language of law applied to faith. Frankly, I am certain that if a man enters into a marriage believing that the woman will be "good for him," (she will meet his sexual and social needs, enhance his career, or be his trophy)  he's narcissistically using his wife, not loving her.

There's always a willingness to self-sacrifice in love: it's not about what a person GETS but GIVES. I don't see that in the idea that a man should care for his wife to get something for himself.

• 2 months later...

A rational, Godly man who heart is renewed  by the Holy Spirit will automatically be a kind, and protective husband.  Walking in his vocation will not be a burden but a delight.  Sad but true, many men are not ready for marriage.  They don't have the spiritual nor the moral and intellectual acumen to undertake such a calling.   In preparation for marriage, many men have been instructed in the responsibilities of a Christian marriage, nor do they pray if it is the will of God to make make holy vows.

Genesis 2:24 underscores the importance for a truly holy marriage.  Christian men need to realize that marriage is a high and holy calling.   It is something not to be entered into in a frivolous fashion.   Sacrifice is integral in a marriage as well as empathy and love.  I remember my own parents.   Truly our house was a mini church.  My father stood by my mother during very difficult days.  I have been reminded of the parable of the Good Shepherd.   During my mother's sickness and my sister's problems, my parents were steadfast, and kept their faith in God.

• 3 weeks later...