JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. According to the slave-ransom analogy, who is the slave? What is he enslaved by? Who offers the ransom? If Satan is involved in the enslaving process, why isn't the ransom paid to him? Why isn't the slave-ransom analogy spelled out completely in the New Testament? Exposition

I am the slave, and I am enslaved by sin. The Lord Jesus offers the ransom, and pays it with His life. Satan is "involved" in the process, but my chief master before the Lord owns me, is my own sin. Satan only uses my sin to tempt me, and in some cases directly assaults my spirit and my soul and he can keep people oppressed in physical maladies, as well. But my slavery is to SIN, not Satan. I was never Satan's slave and even people who sell themselves to him and follow Satan in a false religion, including Satanism, even those are not his slaves, but slaves to SIN. This is what the Bible teaches.

Satan is NEVER the master. Romans 5 teaches that sin is master, or Jesus is. That's why the ransom is not paid to the evil one: he never owned me. he never owned ANYONE. The ransom analogy IS spelled out perfectly well in the NT, for Jesus paid the price for SIN, and since God is the one to whom we owe every debt, since God is the one who has been offended by my sin, since it is to HIM that I owe everything, and it is from Him that I am estranged because of my SIN (not Satan) ...therefore, the Lord Jesus paid the ransom for my SIN, and now He owns me.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. According to the slave-ransom analogy, who is the slave? What is he enslaved by? Who offers the ransom? If Satan is involved in the enslaving process, why isn't the ransom paid to him? Why isn't the slave-ransom analogy spelled out completely in the New Testament? Exposition

The one who is in sin is a slave. The ransom is not paid to satan because he did not pay a debt for mankind to be free. How can a defeated foe be paid a debt.

God owns us and we are not slaves, but are free in Him. Since we now know the truth we walk in freedom to Christ and Christ alone.

We are the slave, enslaved to sin and God pays (and has already paid the ransom with Jesus's death)the ransom. Satan tempts us into sin, but he does not make us sin. We sin out of choice. He is the author of sin, but we have to take responsibility for our actions. I have never thought about this subject of who the ransom is given when we are freed and why it is not addressed in the Bible. In the Old Testament when sacrifices were made for the forgiveness of sin, they would be given by the people to God. Would it make sense that when God pays the ransom, it is given to us in the form of the redemption that we are given?

According to the slave-ransom analogy, who is the slave? What is he enslaved by? Who offers the ransom? If Satan is involved in the enslaving process, why isn't the ransom paid to him? Why isn't the slave-ransom analogy spelled out completely in the New Testament? Exposition

A person who is not born again is a slave. The ransom is not paid to satan because he did not do anything to set us free. Satan can only enslave us. Jesus Christ paid the penaly for our sins, therefore, He alone can set us free. The slave ranson is not spelled out in the New Testament because the Gospel is given to us plain and simple , (Romans 10:9) we must believe what the Word says"If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."

According to the slave-ransom analogy, who is the slave? : Mankind

What is he enslaved by?: Sin

Who offers the ransom?: God

If Satan is involved in the enslaving process, why isn't the ransom paid to him?: Satan does not own mankind. He's more of a hired hand working for Sin to keep mankind living as a slave to Sin. He has no authority to release the slaves.

Why isn't the slave-ransom analogy spelled out completely in the New Testament?:[/b] I think it is not spelled out because they had a much better understanding of the slave-ramsom process at that time than we do now. The New Testament writters did not need to go into detail because their readers understood by implication. As discussed in these lessons, we are much further removed from the issues of slavery and the need for a slave-ransom, so we don't understand the concept of Christ being our ransom and all of the implications of that analogy quite as easily.

Q4. According to the slave-ransom analogy, who is the slave? What is he enslaved by? Who offers the ransom? If Satan is involved in the enslaving process, why isn't the ransom paid to him? Why isn't the slave-ransom analogy spelled out completely in the New Testament?

We are the slave. We are enslaved by our sin. God offers the ransom. Satan deceives us and doesn't ever own us, thus no payment to him. Satan loses his power, not because he has been paid off, but because we have been forgiven. We can no longer accurately be accused of sin. When we realize that truth, we are set free (John 8:32), no longer hopeless and manipulated by lies.Since God "owns" us, the slave-ransom analogy breaks down at this point, since it God paying a ransom to God confuses the picture.

Q4 People who are entrapped in sin are the slaves. He is enslaved by sin. God, the

father who sent His Son to die on the cross for the remission of our sins.

Satan is the father of all lies, evil and deceit. He did not get the credit

because God forgave us of our sins and Jesus' triumphant death on the cross has

confirmed that.

God our creator has always watched over us. As He is our God and we are His people

He will see that not one of us will be lost but have eternal life through Christ

Jesus, the redeemer.

Q4. According to the slave-ransom analogy, who is the slave? I was.

What is he enslaved by? I was enslaved by the world, the flesh and the devil.

Who offers the ransom? My loving Father...God

If Satan is involved in the enslaving process, why isn't the ransom paid to him? Because he was a usurper and deceiver. I was God's creation, so He bought back that which belonged to Him in the first place but who was lost.

As a new believer 37 years ago, someone explained that concept to me in this way: A boy made a toy sailboat and took it to the stream to set it adrift. The rapid caught it and swept it downstream, out of the boys reach and it was lost. Sometime later, he saw another boy with his sailboat. He told the boy he had made it and would like to have it back. The boy refused saying "Finders keepers losers weepers", but relented when he was offered money as a "ransom" to buy back that which belonged to the boy who made it.

Why isn't the slave-ransom analogy spelled out completely in the New Testament? Exposition Because the analogy breaks down at the point of who actually receives the ransom. Satan didn't receive the ransom, he was defeated...declawed...defanged, so to speak, and stripped of his power to control me through Jesus shed blood on the cross. The ransom was paid in advance for my freedom!

Human beings are the slaves in the slave-ransom analogy and we are slaves to sin. Sin brought into this world and introduced to the human race by Satan and those fallen angels that joined him in his rebellion against God. Sin that has crept into and became a driving force in human nature. Sin that blinds humanity from seeking God Almighty, the Most High God -- Creator of the Heavens and Earth.

The ransom paid by the blood of Jesus Christ was a ransom paid to God and with it He gave power to individual human beings who accept Jesus' sacrifice to break the slavery to a sinful world system under the rule of Satan. With acceptance of Jesus Christ and repentance comes the Holy spirit of God into our life. With the Holy Spirit comes illumination. The blinders are taken off and we can begin to relate to God and those spiritual values He has set forth in the Bible. We become sensitive to the guidance and conviction of the Holy Spirit in our life. The slave-ransom analogy isn't spelled out competely in the New Testament because God doesn't pay any ransom to Satan. It's about freedom.

• 3 months later...

All of mankind are the slaves as there is not one who doesn't sin.

We are slaves to sin.

The ransom was offered by God, through Jesus who paid with His blood.

Satan can't be paid our ransom because we aren't slaves to him, but to sin. That's different. He sure tries to get us to sin, but he isn't sin.

The slave ransom analogy isn't completely spelled out in the New Testament because it's just that.....an analogy. It's something like a parable to help us understand a spiritual truth, but it doesn't really exactly fit the reality of what is.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. According to the slave-ransom analogy, who is the slave? What is he enslaved by? Who offers the ransom? If Satan is involved in the enslaving process, why isn't the ransom paid to him? Why isn't the slave-ransom analogy spelled out completely in the New Testament?

We are all slaves to sin.

God offers the ransom through His Son, Jesus Christ.

Satan does not own us, God does. So the ransom can not be paid out to Satan.

The slave-ransom analogy is just an analogy not a reality especially since God can not pay ransom to Himself, it would not make sense and it will only cause more confusion to people. It works just like Jesus's parables.

• 6 months later...

Q4. According to the slave-ransom analogy, who is the slave? I am a slave. All man-kind is a slave.

What is he enslaved by?We are enslaved by sin that blinds us, binds us, and slowly destroys us.

Who offers the ransom?Jesus offers the ransom of spilling His blood and life for us.

If Satan is involved in the enslaving process, why isn't the ransom paid to him? Satan is an usurper and thief claiming that we are his when we are not. Jesus made us.

Why isn't the slave-ransom analogy spelled out completely in the New Testament? It breaks down at the point of who the ransom is paid to. If you really think about it, we, God's creation are enslaved to sin and God's Holiness demands we be separated from Him. The Jesus died on the cross paying the ransom really to God Himself to meet the demands of His justice. We are bought back and restored into a relationship with God when we recognize and accept the need for it.

Exposition

• 1 month later...

Q4. According to the slave-ransom analogy, who is the slave? Sinners

What is he enslaved by? Sin

Who offers the ransom? Jesus

If Satan is involved in the enslaving process, why isn't the ransom paid to him? He is a non issue incapable of controlling God; his only weapon is to control man. It is like a dog chasing a car, once he catches it, he can only groan and walk away; he cannot drive. The same is or Satan.

Why isn't the slave-ransom analogy spelled out completely in the New Testament? They did not know how to spell it out. The secret things are reserved for God. Exposition

According to the slave-ransom analogy, we human beings are the slaves.

He is enslaved by sin.

God offers the ransom.

Satan is involved in the enslaving process, but the ransom is not paid to him, because he is not the legitimate owner of sinful people. He keeps them in darkness and holds them in his deceitful power, but he is not their legitimate owner. He is a usurpe and thief, an accuser.

The slave-ransom analogy is not spelled out completely in the New Testament since it is God paying a ransom to God confuses the picture. That is why the Bible authors drop it there.

According to the slave-ransom analogy, human beings are the slave.

He is enslaved by deception and sin.

Jesus offers the ransom.

Even though Satan is involved in the enslaving process, the ransom was not paid to him because he does not own anybody. The only thing he is good at is to steal, kill, and destroy.

The Bible authors drop the slave-ransom analogy in the New Testament because it is confusing since it is God paying the ransom to God.

I am the slave. Or, more precisely, anyone who isn't a slave to Christ is a slave to sin.

Sin.

Jesus.

Satan is not the owner of us, God is. Satan is the one who lies to us, entices us, gets us to stay in sin and away from God, then accuses us of our crimes before God while mocking us for being so stupid.

Perhaps to avoid confusing the issue more than it already is. To think that Jesus (God in human form)must pay a ransom to God in order that we may be redeemed to God is a little convoluted and hard to understand.

According to the slave- ransom analogy, the slave is any one who has not receive the Lord Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord.

Such a person is enslaved to sin and the associated passon/ desires for worldly pleasures.

God/Jesus Christ is the One who pays the ransom

Satan is the false owner of the siner that is why he is not paid the ransom. He was acturely quonquered and the siner taken away from him.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the slave-ransom analogy, who is the slave? What is he enslaved by? Who offers the ransom? If Satan is involved in the enslaving process, why isn't the ransom paid to him? Why isn't the slave-ransom analogy spelled out completely in the New Testament?

We, the human race are the slaves....slaves to our sin, to our selfishness, our doubt..... our greed. The ransom was offerd by our Lord Jesus through his shed blood. I think the ransom was paid so that God might draw us close to Him under the New Covenant....so that He would no longer hold our sin against us.....Perhaps it is not spelled out completely for us because God is God....and He does what is best for us. No need to overthink everything, but step out on faith that the shed blood of Jesus paid my ransom in full. AMEN!!!!

I was the slave, enslaved by sin, guilt and shame.

God gave His Son to be a ransom for many, so where I would have said Jesus, I think it is God who offers the ransom of Jesus' blood.

The ransom would bot be paid to Satan because if it was, a contract would be signed and he would not be allowed to torment us anymore - which he does.

:wub:

• 1 month later...

Q4.

According to the slave-ransom analogy, who is the slave?

All unbelievers.

What is he enslaved by?

Sin.

Who offers the ransom?

Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

If Satan is involved in the enslaving process, why isn't the ransom paid to him?

We were never owned by Satan

• 1 month later...

1)According to the slave-ransom analogy, who is the slave?

Mankind and all creation

2)What is he enslaved by?

Sin

3)Who offers the ransom?

God offers himself in the manifestation of Son

4)If Satan is involved in the enslaving process, why isn't the ransom paid to him?

Because he is a defeated foe, therefore he is not holding any souls, he just influences to do evil.

5)Why isn't the slave-ransom analogy spelled out completely in the New Testament?

Because it is not told specifically who is paid for the ransom but I still believe it is a Payment required by God and God Paid it, the violation of His Holiness. Judgment and wrath needed to be appeased they declared death and destruction but God Love refuted however, His Wisdom devised the plan - Jesus Christ Is the Wisdom , Love of God; His holiness , judgment and wrath all taken care of and man can live by God becoming a Man and redeeming us. Grace and receiving the Holy Ghost in Jesus name eternal life.

• 1 year later...

Q4. According to the slave-ransom analogy, who is the slave?

I am, and all others who haven't accepted Christ's free gift of salvation.

What is he enslaved by?

Sin.

Who offers the ransom?

Jesus Christ

If Satan is involved in the enslaving process, why isn't the ransom paid to him?

The world, the flesh, and the devil (satan) are what we battle with, but sin is ultimately our enslaver. Ransom isn't paid to satan because he is not the slave owner, God is. Psalm 24:1 The earth is the Lord's and everything in it, the world,and all who live in it;

Why isn't the slave-ransom analogy spelled out completely in the New Testament?

Because it seems as though in the analogy, God pays Himself to redeems us from our slavery to sin, although we are the benefactors of the ransom and it's high price.

• 1 year later...

According to the slave-ransom analogy we are the slaves.  We are enslaved by an empty way of life.  Not having Christ in our lives.  The ransom is offered by Christ's blood on the cross.  Since  we are slaves of sin, Satan is involved because he depicts and is sin.  Satan is not paid a ransom because of Christ's blood Satan loses his power when we are forgiven.  I think it is more important to in the New Testament to focus on the forgiveness and the repentance and erasing of the record. 

• 10 months later...

We are all slaves to sin. Jesus paid the ransom for our sins by dying on the cross for us. The ransom for our lives was paid to God the Father with the blood of the Son. In all rights, Satan is the personification of sin. It is because of this influence in the world that sin even exists.

Unless some one completely understands the Holy Trinity, it is impossible to understand the concept of the Son dying to pay the Father for us. and then for the Son to give us to the Father as adopted Children.

At the times that these letters were written and the books published for all to read, this whole concept would have sounded like too many of the pagan ideas of gods and goddesses having mortal children. I feel that it would have only given more credit to the pagan beliefs and not the Christian concepts of that time.

• 3 weeks later...

According to the slave ransom analogy - a slave is set free by a price paid by another. This can be by money or some sort of other monetary arrangement. The slave that has been ransomed now becomes the slave or is set free by the one who paid the ransom.

The one that is in servitude is usually put their because they could not pay a debt owed to another. If he is not ransomed he remains enslaved until the debt is paid in full.

The debt is usually paid by a relative as a kinsman - redeemer.

The slave ransom analogy is not completely defined in the New Testament. Actually when Jesus died on the cross and paid the ransom for our sin he fulfilled the punishment for our sins which the Father has accepted as a perfect sacrifice. There is basically no one to pay a ransom to or for. Satan, who has no legal right to own us physically or spiritually, he has kept us enslaved to him by his deceitful ways and lies that keep us away from God Himself. The ransom analogy helps us to understand how Christ death has freed us from our sinful ways, provided we believe in Christ and love and trust Him. Those that refuse to accept Jesus as their savior will be lost to Satan indeed.