JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. In Heaven before the Resurrection

Q2. (Philippians 1:23-24; 2 Corinthians 5:8) According to these verses, where will Christians be immediately after death?

Immediately after death we will be in the presence of God.

Where do we await the resurrection?

If we die before the Resurrection we will be in Heaven with Jesus. If we are still alive we will still be here on earth. :rolleyes:

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We Christian believers will all be present with the Lord Jesus immediately after death; but if we die before the great Resurrection of Christ’s Second Coming, then our bodies will be resurrected from our graves and will be instantly changed (we don’t at this time know how they are changed) into some kind of heavenly bodies and be brought into the presence of Christ in heavenly glory. If we happen to still be alive upon His coming again, then our bodies will be changed instantly in the same way and we will enter into His glorious presence with our new heavenly bodies into His glory forever and ever. We await Christ’s resurrecting us as His people either in our graves or still alive here on the earth until He returns for us, but either way, we will still be in glory with Him forever and ever!!!!!!! Amen!

• 1 month later...
I, for one, am not convinced that we will be awake with the Lord when our bodies die. For one, in the two scriptures given there is no indication as to whether we will be awake or asleep when we go to be with Him. In Rev 6:9-11, it states; "I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God (martyrs)..., that they should rest yet for a little season..."(KJV). This indicates to me a passive state that might just be stirred up in eager anticpation of that final judgement day, as God's plan for our eternal communion with Him comes to fruition. Also, in John 14:2-3, I find it hard to believe that the Lord is building a room for me under His altar. I have something a little more spacious in mind.

In 1 Thes 4:13-18, Brother Paul takes great pains to ease our burden concerning our lost loved ones who have died in Christ. He specifically says that ..."and that the dead in Christ shall rise first:"(16d). If we are already awake with Him why would we have to rise again?

I believe that our soul will rest in endless sleep until that great shofar sounds and brings us all home, together, the dead and the living.

I too am with JUSTJEFF. For many years I have been in the minority of my understanding of scripture, particularly the fact that if we are living as conscious beings in heaven, how do we get resurrected to spiritual being status AGAIN?? Also, if Christ was the absolute FIRST to be resurrected, then what about all the saints who died before him (including those who met him during his reign on earth and later died) - where are they??

Scripture is clear that man's spirit returns to God upon death and we await for the resurrection upon the return of Jesus Christ (ie. the Last Day).

Nowhere in scripture does it actually say we immediately go to heaven upon death.

I too am with JUSTJEFF. For many years I have been in the minority of my understanding of scripture, particularly the fact that if we are living as conscious beings in heaven, how do we get resurrected to spiritual being status AGAIN?? Also, if Christ was the absolute FIRST to be resurrected, then what about all the saints who died before him (including those who met him during his reign on earth and later died) - where are they??

Scripture is clear that man's spirit returns to God upon death and we await for the resurrection upon the return of Jesus Christ (ie. the Last Day).

Nowhere in scripture does it actually say we immediately go to heaven upon death.

Aha! Some have uncovered another mystery of our faith! The problem that we have is to try to understand the full meaning of resurrection. Clear arguments can be given on both sides of this conversation. Much has been written on this subject: soul sleep, etc. by/from many Christian church traditions. Is it possible that both are correct? The sad part is that the Church has divided itself [i.e. separated from fellowship with each other] because of differing interpretations of this subject. We'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime, I think we understand that we are to live out our faith in the calling that we have received. Of course, this is my opinion....

Q2. (Philippians 1:23-24; 2 Corinthians 5:8) According to these verses, where will Christians be immediately after death? Where do we await the resurrection?

1) According to the above verses, we will be "at home" and "with the Lord" when we die.

2) According to scripture, when we die we "fall asleep in him" (1Thess 4:14). In the Gospel of Luke (11:5-8), after Jesus taught His disciples how to pray, he compared asking of God to waking up a man who is asleep in bed with his children. Thus, I suspect immediately after we die we will be at home, with the Lord, and in his bed with our other sleeping siblings until the resurrection. I do not, however, think we will "await" the resurrection in the traditional sense of the word because nobody who is asleep consciously awaits anything. I believe, therefore, that the resurrection will seem to occur immediately after we die in the same sense that morning seems to occur immediately after night began to someone who slept peacefully through the time.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Q2. (Philippians 1:23-24; 2 Corinthians 5:8)

According to these verses, where will Christians be immediately after death?

Where do we await the resurrection?

When our souls depart from our worldly life, it is to be immediately with Christ. We will be free from sin and from suffering and with Jesus forever. We are in heaven awaiting the resurrection.

Q2. (Philippians 1:23-24; 2 Corinthians 5:8) According to these verses, where will Christians be immediately after death? Where do we await the resurrection?

When we die we will sleep till He comes and take us up.

I have taken note of when I have been put to sleep by the doctor, one moment I was awake I was out and as if time had no effect I was awake wondering if the doctor did his thing. Also we go to bed and wake up in the AM and time seems to have no effect. So when we die we will awake in a twinkel of an eye of Christ.

Php 1:23 I am pulled in two directions. I want very much to leave this life and be with Christ, which is a far better thing;

Php 1:24 but for your sake it is much more important that I remain alive.

2Co 5:8 We are full of courage and would much prefer to leave our home in the body and be at home with the Lord.

When we die we leave here and go home to be with the Lord. This is where we will wait for the resurrection.

• 1 year later...

According to Philippians 1:23-24; 2 Corinthians 5:8 Christians will be immediately ushered into the presence of God.

The scriptures are clear that at death, Christians are with Christ instantly.

According to these verses, we will be immediately ushered into the presence of Jesus.

We will await the resurrection in heaven.

I replied before in http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=586&view=findpost&p=52822 and just wanted to add something to this answer. We will be with the Lord directly upon death but this will not be bodily. That does not take place until the resurrection where I see it as a meeting of our spirit/soul with our new resurrected bodies

Philippians 1:23-24 But I am in a strait betwixt the two, having the desire to depart and be with Christ; for it is very far better: yet to abide in the flesh is more needful for your sake.

2Co 5:8 we are of good courage, I say, and are willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be at home with the Lord.

Christians will be immediately go after death is haven, because if you believe in Jesus, then you're a Christian. We will awaited Jesus in haven.

Philippians 1:23-24 But I am in a strait betwixt the two, having the desire to depart and be with Christ; for it is very far better: yet to abide in the flesh is more needful for your sake.

2Co 5:8 we are of good courage, I say, and are willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be at home with the Lord.

Christians will be immediately go after death is haven, because if you believe in Jesus, then you're a Christian. We will awaited Jesus in haven.

Php 1:23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better.

Php 1:24 But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account.

2Co 5:8 Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

Christians will immediatly go to heaven. We await the resurrection in heaven with Jesus

• 3 weeks later...

AT home with the Lord as they will be ushered into the presence of God

We await resurrection in heaven. Rev 20:11-12

• 1 year later...

Christians will be with the Lord Jesus Christ in heaven immediately after death. That is where they will wait for the day of the Lord.

• 10 months later...

Christians, according to the verses read, will be in the presence of God from the instant of their death.  The dead are in Heaven.  They are the 144,000 wearing the white robes and holding palm branches and praising Jesus. 

• 1 year later...

After death, we will be with God. We will be in His presence in one of the areas of Heaven. Because, Jesus told us Himself that there are many rooms there. I feel that those that are under the alter area are those that were killed for their beliefs and faith. I feel that they will have an honored place to rest until the final judgement occurs.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...