JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

One who...has inherited all things, is co-creator, is the exact representation of God's very nature and upholds all things with the power of His word...must be divine!

Jesus sits at the Father's right hand to reign over His creation. As God's Son, Jesus has taken on the role of building God's family, guiding His children, teaching by example and caring for us as we wait for the culmination of His "grand design"

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my mind, if anyone is the very radiance of God's glory and God's exact representation, then He himself must BE God. This is how the Son is described, so there is no other explanation other than that the Son is divine. Whom else would God appoint as heir of all things, and through whom else would He make the universe, whom else would provide purification for our sins?- only God himself. Therefore the Son must be divine. Janet C.

Q2. (Hebrews 1:2-3) What about the author's description of the Son makes you think that the Son described is himself divine? What role does the Son have in doing the Father's will according to these verses?

Only a divine being can sustain the universe. One would have to be divine to be an exact representation of God. God will not share His glory with any one or thing yet He shares it with His Son.

Pastor Ralph,

Not only is the Son of God Heir of all things but he is also Co- Creator giving him the authority to create and uphold all his creation,he is the complete reflection of the Father and through him all things were made.In the beginning was the Word and it was through the power of the spoken Word that creation came into being and is sustained.

Jesus became the perfecr sacrifice ,paying the penalty for our Sin so that our relationship could be restored to the Father as it was before the fall. Today He intercedes on our behalf to the Father,and is our High Priest becoming the Sacrifice on our behalf.Where would we be without Him.

I am a new christian so some of these questions are hard for me and if my answers are off please email me and i would love the help. The authors description makes me think Jesus is divine because Jesus is described as an exact replica of God. Gods word became flesh. I believe God took his holy word (like an author may do a character) and put in some human dna without flaws took some of His glory made a man without sin and sent him to us.Jesus is Gods word. I also believe that his role is to keep us in line and love us. To pull us all out of our sinful ways and to Gods glory

lamountain,

As long as the Holy Spirit is in you, have no fear! Moses was afraid to be God's mouthpiece because he feared he could not speak well, and look what he did through God's power! Moses was raised Pharaoh's son (I assume with little Hebrew training), yet again look what he said and did.

God bless!

The Son is described as being the brightness of God's glory and His express image. Thus Jesus is as divine as His Father. Jesus upholds all things in the universe by the power of His words. Jesus' word expresses His power.

Jesus carries out the will of God because they are one.

Q2. (Hebrews 1:2-3) What about the author's description of the Son makes you think that the Son described is himself divine? What role does the Son have in doing the Father's will according to these verses?

Jesus is The Divine Son of God. He is the appointed heir. Jesus is Eternal and Divine. He is the Full Revelation of God, the radiant reflection of God's Glory. The word that became flesh full of grace and truth. He is the exact representation of God's essential nature. He is what God is. He is through whom God made the universe. The word that God spoken into existence.

What about the author's description of the Son makes you think that the Son described himself divine?What role does the Son have in doing the will of the Father according to these verses?

The Son had a direct and very personal relationship with the Father,he described himself as a co-creator,He is an heir at the right hand of the Father,the radiance of Glory,there is so much that the author rights that describes himself as divine.The role of the Son in these verses are he is a co-ruler and does what the Father wills,he is like the superior one above all others and there is no sin in Him and He is to teach others about what GOd wants for each of us,that is what i think the Son is doing for the Father,this is why people accused him of Blasphemy cause they have no idea

His radiance and his glory as a matter of fact all of the 6 characteristics mention but his radiance and his glory stuck out to me cause John 1:14 states the word was made flesh and dwell among us (Jesus) and we beheld his glory - the glory as of the only begotten of the Father - full of grace and truth

The role the Son have in doing the Father's will according to these verses is for the salvation of mankind

This can only be divine. Jesus is divine. When He walked this earth he was human and divine. The Son came only to do the will of His Father. He came to sacrifice his life for us while we were still sinners. The Son is exactly who the Fahter. When you see the Son you see the Father. He is ruling with the Father with honor and co-ofice.

When I first wanted to answer the question I was very tempted to just pick one of the descriptions but the more I thought about it the more I came to the conclusion that when you put all of them together like puzzle pieces and then step back to look at the whole picture and ask yourself the question: "What have I got here?". My answer was: This is someone on an equal base with God. And that makes him devine.

As for the son's role. When I looked at the verses the line that jumped out the most at me was:"....After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven." He completed the task that was apointed to him by his father. Without Jesus and his sacrifice we would still be trapped in our sinful life. God thought of a way to redeem ourselves from our sins but he needed his son to put it in practice.

Off the topic: I really enjoy this bible study. I am not a "new" Christian but in the past have never really taken it very seriously. I have never taken part in bible study so I was very excited to sign up for this one. It is very interesting to read other believers answers and opinions. Great Job you did Pastor Ralph. I can see God is working in you (and in everybody else who signed up for this).

As many others have said, almost everything in these verses points to the Son being divine himself. To be the One through whom the universe was made is in itself significant, but also shows that He is co-eternal with the Father, since He must have existed 'before' time and space were created. As the older form of the creed puts it, He was "begotten of His Father before all worlds".

The author's description of the Son points to His divine nature when he speaks of all things being appointed to him and the worlds be made by him. These verses show that the Son carried out the Father's will and took up position at the right hand of the Father.

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; 3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
Hebrews 1:2-3 (KJV)

:DQ2. (Hebrews 1:2-3) What about the author's description of the Son makes you think that the Son described is himself divine?

In Hebrews verse 3 the author states that "...the son is the radiance of God's glory, and the exact representationof his being..." This alone gives credence to the divinity of Jesus, he is so powerful that he is like his father in every way and as such gives of the same luminescent beauty that GOD possesses. The author also satiates the reader with this idea by stating that the son (Jesus ) is the heir, and that it was through the son (Jesus) that the universe was made

What role does the Son have in doing the Father's will according to these verses?

Again in verse 3 the author shows us the answer to this question, the author states that the son "... after he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the majesty in heaven..." The son's role was to purify our sins so that he could assume his rightful position. :D

Jesus is divine, He is the Son of God, He is the brightness of His Father glory and the express image. When we look back at Genesis 1:26 God was speaking to Jesus when He said,"Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:" Jesus was with God from the very beginning of time. Jesus is appointed heir of all thing. He is now sitting on the right hand of the Majesty on high.

Jesus Himself had purged our sins.

Jesus is devine because He is God in human form!

"The Son is the radianceof God's glory . . ."--or reflection of . . . JESUS is the reflection of God (mirror image). ". . . I will not give my glory to another or my praise to idols." (Isaiah 42:8). God said that He didn't give His glory or praise to others; however, he freely gives it to Jesus. Being the exact representation of God's being, Jesus and God are exactly alike; who better to represent the qualities and character of God in human form than God Himself?

The Son's role is to preserve ALL THINGS--this He does at Calvary.

The following point to Jesus' divinity: 1) He has been appointed heir of all things, 2) He is co-creator and agent of creation,

3) He is the radiance of God's glory, 4) He is the exact representation of God's essential nature, 5) He sustains and holds together the entire universe, and 6) He is co-ruler with God in heaven.

The role that the Son has in doing the Father's will are 1) providing purification for sins. Jesus took the punishment for our sins on the cross. 2) sustaining all things. Christ sustains and holds together the entire universe by His powerful word.

He paints a picture of him being defined because no human in their own strength could possess these qualities. I could never sustain the universe, purge out sin, create the universe, without the supernatural power of God, thus declaring him devine. The son's role in doing the Father's will is co-ruler.

The description of the Son as '...the radiance of God's glory, and the exact representation of His being...' helped me to understand that the Son is himself divine.

The Son sustains the whole universe; most important is His role as the purifier.'...the Son ... provided purification'.

Jesus, as described is divine.....heir of all things, through whom he made the universe, radiance of God's glory, exact representation of God's being, sustains all things by his word, provides purification of sins, sits at the right hand of God.

He sits at the right hand of God....the place of honor and co-regency - he reigns with him.

JESUS is the reflection of God (mirror image)....this is the only way I can imagine Jesus being the Son of God. The Greek philosopher, Parmenides, posed a question to Socrates in that how can the Idea of an umbrella that covers everything be broken into little pieces without one lacking, and the other less that it was before. If Jesus is God, is God less than He was before, and is Jesus lacking ALL the powers of God? By faith, my answer is no. By Biblical knowledge, we HAVE to say Jesus is God. Other than that, there is no way of answering the question.

I BELIEVE Jesus is the Son of God. To me, it's also one of the Great Mysteries.

Blessings,

Jesus

Jesus and the Father have the same Spirit ( Are one, united). Jesus is God's vessal to share w/ us His Word and His Ways,

• 2 weeks later...

The answer is obvious. Because Jesus is Divine. He is the Father's Son. He is Divine. He is the Heir. He is the Co-Creator. He is the radiance of Divine glory. He is the Co-Ruler. He is the sustainer of everything. He is the Son of God. The role that the Son has in the Father's Will is to do His work. Jesus said in the four Gospels whenever He was confronted by the scribes and pharisees that He was there to do His Father's work.

Michael B