JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Purpose of Christ's Death

Q4. (Hebrews 2:14-15) What was the purpose of Christ's death according to verses 14 and 15? In what sense is this mission accomplished? In what sense will it see its final completion in the future? What is the result in our lives from Christ's accomplishment?

To destroy the devil and to free the world from the fear of death

Jesus was stronger than Satan and He was the one who came to takenaway his power.

Satan will be judged and he will be punished eternally.

The power of satan has been broken. That our conscience has been freed and that we have a hope of a glorious life after death, not fear of judgment.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Hebrews 2:14-15) What was the purpose of Christ's death according to verses 14 and 15?

To destroy the one that holds the power of death and release us from our fear of death.

In what sense is this mission accomplished?

Our sins have been forgiven. Satan no longer holds the power of death. and we now have eternal life and no fear of death.

In what sense will it see its final completion in the future?

Satan will be judged and then cast into the lake of fire.

What is the result in our lives from Christ's accomplishment?

Eternal Life. Praise the Lord :rolleyes:

Q4. (Hebrews 2:14-15) What was the purpose of Christ's death according to verses 14 and 15?

Heb 2:14 Since then the children are sharers in flesh and blood, he also himself in like manner partook of the same; that through death he might bring to nought him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

Heb 2:15 and might deliver all them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

Satan is the author of sin. Through one man Adam, sin entered the world, bringing with it death. Death was not part of God's plan for mankind. Satan had the keys to death and through him we inherited sins nature. God gave mankind laws to live by, to have fellowship with Him, to be seen in our obedience to God Almighty; He gave the 10 Commandments. Satan held the keys, and sin reigned in the heart of man. -- The good news is, Jesus delivered those who partake in His flesh and blood from the grips of death and freed us from the bondage of sins grip on mankind.

It was accomplished in Jesus who came to do the will of the Father, His obedience to the cross and the sending of the Holy Spirit to live in us, giving us power to live righteous lives. We are no longer bond to sin, we no longer have an excuse to continue living a life of sin, continue to let sin rule in our lives. We now can overcome, not perfect, but daily we must die to self, following after Him - we are sharers in the flesh and blood.

Revelation 20:14-15 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Revelation 20: 10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and false prophet are. The will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

We must remember, Satan still is prince of this world and with him are demons who do his commands, they are out to steal and kill! Matthew 12:29 How can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

We Bind him by staying in the Word,by trusting and giving praise to God at all times, in all situations, overcome evil with good, continue in faith and obedience to the One who set us free.

Remember, we know how it all ends. Greater is He who lives in me than he that is ruling the world. the result should be seen in changed lives. I am being changed daily.

To destroy the devil who held the power of death. Also, to free all of us who all of our lives have been afraid of death and held in bondage because of fear and shame and all the rest of these things that cause anxiety to the human spirit apart from God.

This mission is accomplished by the work of the Cross. Jesus Himself said it best, "It is Finished!"

Perhaps when Jesus makes His final return and Satan is thrown into the lake of fire.

Complete freedom to approach God in right relationship to worship Him and serve Him only, without fear of condemnation or eternal death. Eternal life is promised!! Praise be to the Triune God!!

Q4. (Hebrews 2:14-15) What was the purpose of Christ's death according to verses 14 and 15? In what sense is this mission accomplished? In what sense will it see its final completion in the future? What is the result in our lives from Christ's accomplishment?

Through Adam sin came into the world. All people bear the guilt of sin because of Adam

The purpose of Christ's death, according to Hebrews 2:14-15, was to destroy the power of the devil and to free us from the fear of death.

This mission was accomplished when Christ died on the cross for our sins and when He triumphed over death by rising from the grave.

The final completion will be in the future when Satan and death are thrown into the lake of fire.

The result in our lives from Christ's accomplishment is we no longer need to fear death.

• 3 weeks later...

The purpose of Christ's death according to verses 14 and 15 was to destroy the devil who holds the power of death and to free from the fear of death.

This mission is accomplished in the sense of his resurrection, the resurrection is the sign of victory and glory.

It will see its final completion in the future in the sense of our own resurrection at the Last day .

The result in our lives from Christ's accomplisment is that he forgives us, cleanses our conscience so that we know we are forgiven, gives us confidence to approach him without fear of condemnation, gives us the victory over sin, and we have hope of a glorious life after death, not fear of judgement.

• 2 months later...

Christ holds the power of death. Satan weilds the power of death only insofar as he induces people to sin and to come under sin's penalty, which is death. Jesus was an atonement for us. Jesus could have represent mankind before God only if He became one with them (us). I order for Jesus to turn aside the wrath of God against guilty sinners, He had to become one with them (us) and die as a substitue for them (us).

• 2 months later...

To destroy the devil and free us from the bondage to the fear of death.

It is accomplished because Christ has the key to death and hell

Final completion will come when the church is rapture and the dead in Christ shall rise

The result in our lives is that we are free free free from this world of sin

The Devil had power over death- and through His taking on humanity and His sacrificial death he stripped that power away i.e. rendered him (the devil) powerless over death

The result of this was to free those who were fearful of death-and in slavery to that fear

Jesus experienced life as a human being

The perfect sacrifice has been made- Jesus has tasted death for everyone

In the immediate future- we experience help daily through our merciful High priest

Making men holy-is a process (2:11) (present participial)

We are still to see everything placed under His feet (2:8)

We are still to experience the fullness of Jesus

The purpose of Christ's deth was to destroy the devil an free those who lived their lives in fear of death. We will seee its final completion when stan is in the lakeof fire forever. The final result is we now have a permament home in heaven with Jesus.

• 2 months later...

1)Purpose of Christ's death was to destroy Satan and fear of death

2) Christ accomplishes this mission by suffering for us and dying.

3)In its final completion, in the future, we will reach glory with Christ and see no suffering, diseases, or death.

4)The result will be a freed conscious and hope.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that the purpose of Jesus death was to bring all mankind towards the love of the Father (God). However man could not come to the Father unless he called him but when Jesus die on the Cross that allowed all mankind to have the right to become before God boldly. Mankind first had to be forgiven of their sins and by the shedding of Jesus blood that allowed mankind to be forgiven of their sins. Hebrews 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blod; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

When Jesus die on the cross that sealed his mission or accomplished his mission.

One day Jesus will return and rapture his saints or the church and he will be crowned as Kings of Kings and Lord of Lords and their will be no end to his Kingdom.

By Jesus death I have eternal life and have fellowship with the Father. St. John 3:16 For God gave his only begotten son and whosoever believeth in him shall not perish but will have everlasting life.

• 3 weeks later...

All flesh and blood must taste death, which most men fear. Jesus became flesh and blood in order to taste death Himself, and by rising again defeated both the devil and death. Death can no longer 'hold' us. When Jesus returns we're coming out of that grave. Our corrupted bodies will be come incorruptible and we will be with the Lord forevermore.

Knowing that both the devil and his power over death have been destroyed, man may live the here and now free from the fear of both. Christ our Redeemer has the keys to death, hell and the grave. Satan doesn't even have the keys to his own house, and if you belong to Christ, he (the devil) doesn't have the keys to yours either. How awesome is that?!

Since Christ triumphed over the devil and death openly, we now have the promise and glorious expectation of the resurrection and eternal life with Him. At the end of the millennium (thousand year reign) the devil and his angels will be cast into the lake of fire permanently and we will finally be completely free of the devil's evil influence ever again. What a glorious hope! A world no longer stained by sin. Thank you my precious Saviour. You truly are worthy of our praise.

It is joy unspeakable and full of glory; we have been delivered from the bondage of living fearful (frightened) lives and may now live in the blessed fear (reverence/awe) of the Lord our Deliverer and what He has done for us instead. We need not fear (be frightened of) what man may do to us because we know he has no power over our eternal lives. Therefore, we can be bolder, more effective witnesses which gives us greater power in building the kingdom of God.

• 2 weeks later...

1) The purpose of Christ's death was to render satan's power over us ineffective and to free us from our fear of death.

2) To those who have put their trust in Jesus for salvation from sin, this mission is accomplished in a real present sense. When I finally understood the FULL gospel of my salvation and believed that Jesus had the integrity and the power to not only offer atonement for my sins, but also to remove my sin nature at the heart level, I was, less than two hours later, slain by the Spirit through the laying on of hands. I remember very clearly the moment my sin nature was circumcised (although I did not know the scripture concerning it) and I remember the drunkenness of being filled with the Spirit as well as being a part of God's own mind. I am missing some time from the experience, but Romans 6 tells me that I was in some way made a part of Jesus' death and burial and resurrection. From that point on I have known that I am God's child and have had no desire to sin. I am not saying that I went and sinned not. In fact, I am still learning through scripture the difference between right and wrong in areas I had never before considered. However, I have not desired to sin and was not compelled to. Rather, I have been like the words of Paul - I am lead into sin, but I do not burn inwardly. When I learn that I have sinned, I have no difficulty turning from that sin. Therefore, Satan does not have me in chains. And because I know my sins are forgiven, I do not cling to my life or the means thereof for fear of death. Rather, I consider any material possessions I have as unowned and unnecessary, because I am not afraid to die - I am only afraid to die before I have done all that my Master has resurrected me to do.

3) Christ's work on the cross is not fully complete in the sense that on this earth, we still see Satan's power effective in the lives of unbelievers. We who have been delivered in such a miraculous fashion have certainty, however, that the day will come on earth when every knee will bow to Him and all who called on His name will have turned from wickedness.

• 3 weeks later...

1)Jesus' death destroyed our enemy the devil..."to bring to nought and make of no effect him who had the power of death...(that is, the devil), and so that He might deliver and completely set free all those who through the haunting fear of death were held in bondage throughout the whole course of their lives."

2)When Adam fell, mankind became the property of the devil. Jesus, the second Adam, bought us back, so that satan no longer has dominion over those who are in Christ, and since Jesus experienced death for our sins, we no longer have to fear death or the unknown, because He has told us in His Word where we are going...to be with Him for ever.

3)When satan is in hell for eternity, and the world as we know it is concluded, sin will be a thing of the distant past...no more fallen nature to contend with, no more tears, no more fear, because God is love, and we will be surrounded only by His love.

4)We can live in freedom....we have been set free. We now have a choice of whether to sin or not, where before we were born again, we had no choice. We have eternal life, which began the moment we were saved...he says in Eph. 2:1=6 that we are seated with Him in Heavenly places. So we can live our heritage, which is righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. We have an advocate in Jesus, to plead our case, to intervene on our behalf...we have a friend who sticks closer than a brother, and we have been sealed in the Holy Spirit...a guarantee of what is to come.

• 1 month later...

(1) to destroy the devil and (2) to free from fear.

In what sense is this mission accomplished? In what sense will it see its final completion in the future?

This mission was accomplished when Christ died on the cross. We will see its final completion when Christ returns to take those who choose to follow Him to glory.

Our salvation.

• 6 months later...

The purpose of Christ's death was to destroy Satan and also to release the stronghold that the fear of dying has on us.

It is accomplished when we accept Christ as our Messiah and trust in His promise of eternal salvation.

We will see the final completion when Jesus returns to destroy all evil for once and all.

We can be assured that we have life with Christ for all eternity if we remain connected to the Vine which is Christ. We have a life of peace and security as we wait on Him.

• 4 weeks later...

The only way was to die and break the power of the Devil who had the power of Death. In what sense...by Jesus Crucifixion. Final completion...By always trusting in God , heed the warnings, Biblical and Worldwide. What is the result in our lives...When we think about the pain and suffering and humiliation Jesus went through to save us by dying on the cross -His Crucifixion- We all want to be worthy of his sacrifice, because as christians we want to be called to Heaven and see God's Glory and go up with Jesus in the clouds at his second coming..

• 2 months later...

Q4. (Hebrews 2:14-15)

What was the purpose of Christ's death according to verses 14 and 15?

The purpose of Christ

• 2 months later...

The purpose of Christ

• 3 weeks later...

Christs` purpose was to destroy satan and the power of death that satan had, and to release those who through fear of death all their lifetime subject to bondage. Satan likes to use the fear of death because of our sins which would hold us bondage, but because of Christ that is finished. Jesus eliminated that when He died on the cross for us. IN WHAT SENSE WILL IT SEE ITS FINAL COMPLETION IN THE FUTURE? When we the followers of Christ are risen up to Him and stand by His side for eternity, and all those who do not follow Christ including satan and all the fallen angels are put to eternal hell. Because of Christs` accomplishments we have peace and hope and are given the grace by the Heavenly Father, to live with love and patience to follow the cross and live freely for Christ. He has shown us the way to eternal life. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Because those whom Jesus came to redeem are flesh and blood, He also had to take on humanity. For only as a true human being could He qualify to redeem the human race from Satan's power. Christ died to destroy Satan's control and power over those who believe and to deliver them from the fear of death by promising eternal life with God.

• 1 month later...

To defeat the devil and take the keys (authority) of death. To render Satan with the basis of power in the life of the child of God. Thus... delivering them from fear.