JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Holding On to Faith

The Jews were being distracted by a great many of things and people. The writer was letting the readers know that there only hope was in Jesus Christ the savior of their souls. The same thing is true for us today we have even more distractions in our time. We have a tendency to get caught up in things that have nothing to do with the commands of God. That causes us to sin against God. So if we hold on to Christ the one who never sinned and have faith in Him we can overcome any temptation. If we don

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Hebrews 3:6b) Why is the writer exhorting his readers to "hold on" to Christ? Why must we continue in our faith? According the writer of Hebrews, what happens if we don't?

Christ is the head of His house, "US" so if we stand firm and hold unto Christ we will live with Him in eternity. If we let go of our faith we lose our hope, we give satan a foot hold on us and that is not good. In Hebrews 11 vs 6 :" But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is,and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." and Hebrews 11 vs 1" Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." If we quit living in faith we are giving up all that God is offering us. Without faith our hearts harden, we loose that connection with God , our relationship, and all else that He so freely is willing to give us. Thank you Jesus.

• 2 months later...

Hebrews 3:1-6 is a metaphor of the house of God.

In this household, Moses is the servant but Jesus the Son of the house.

What means that Moses is important but Jesus is more important.

He's in control.

Therefore verse 6 means that we have to hold on in following Him.

If we don't hold on we loose.

And there's no other way to God then Jesus (John 14:6).

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Hebrews 3:6b) Why is the writer exhorting his readers to "hold on" to Christ? Why must we continue in our faith? According the writer of Hebrews, what happens if we don't?

He is exhorting the readers to hold on to Christ because that is the only way we are part of His household. We must continue in our faith because the believers security in Christ is maintained only as we cooperate with God's grace by persevering in fatih and holiness unto the end of our earthly existence. This truth was emphasized by Chirst. If we don't, the reassurance of salvation for church members 3ho willfully sin, so prevalent in some circles today, will find no place in God's household.

• 3 months later...

The only way you can become a partof

, Christs house is by faith. If there isa falling away it is because they heard and did not accept. That is why the Israelites could not enter the promise land,they did not believe.As I see it if you by faith becomesa part of that house you cannot fall away,the building would not be whole.

• 3 weeks later...

Because Jesus is our hope, the only hope we have of the fulfillment of the promise of rest or eternal provided for us. Jesus has redeemed us from sin - He appeals to God for us - and He is the only one we can depend upon or rely on to fulfill the promise of rest or eternal life in the presence of God. . .

We must continue in faith because it is by faith that we are able to please God - that we are able to holdfast to the promise that God has given us. . . Holding on to Jesus is the key to the fulfillment of the promise. . . Jesus, as a result of hIs obedience to the Father, He now sits at the right hand of the throne of God - and we are there through Him (because of our relationship to Him). . .

B)

• 2 months later...

The tendency for us to turn away usually is on the heels of unanswered prayers that we've been offering up for what seems like an eternity. Or when we fall short and we say "what's the point, since I can't seem to get a handle on this habit, that sin, or this flaw."

So I'd like to leave with you an excerpt from a poem entitled "I Will Bring the Victory" by Frances J. Roberts. I believe this puts in perspective what the author in Hebrews is emphasizing as we go through this christian walk.

"...My will shall be done regardless of the flaws in thy life, if ye count upon the power of My righteousness. I do not work only in cases where there are no obstacles; but I glory in over-ruling prevailing circumstances, and I take pleasure in bringing victories in those places where no victory is anywhere in sight..."

"Reckon upon My coming. Know whenever faith brings Me on the scene, everything is changed. Darkness is turned to light. Grief is turned to joy. Sickness to health. Poverty to My sufficient supply. Doubt to faith. Anxiety to trust..."

"...Ask for the victory. I will come and bring it. Don't look for the victory - LOOK FOR ME, and ye shall see the victory that I shall bring with Me..."

AMEN

• 3 months later...

Answer:

Hebrews 3:6- But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end

We need to hold on to our FAITH,because it is through this that we are saved(Ephesians 2:8-9-For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God.)Without Faith,we cant be saved.GRACE alone cannot save us,for we know in Titus 2:11,that GRACE has appeared to all men(Titus 2:11- For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men )yet we know that at present time ,NOT ALL MEN ARE SAVED.

In verse 6,the writer pointed out that WE CAN ONLY BE CONSIDER,CHILD OF GOD AND BELONGS TO HIS HOUSE

The tendency for us to turn away usually is on the heels of unanswered prayers that we've been offering up for what seems like an eternity. Or when we fall short and we say "what's the point, since I can't seem to get a handle on this habit, that sin, or this flaw."

So I'd like to leave with you an excerpt from a poem entitled "I Will Bring the Victory" by Frances J. Roberts. I believe this puts in perspective what the author in Hebrews is emphasizing as we go through this christian walk.

"...My will shall be done regardless of the flaws in thy life, if ye count upon the power of My righteousness. I do not work only in cases where there are no obstacles; but I glory in over-ruling prevailing circumstances, and I take pleasure in bringing victories in those places where no victory is anywhere in sight..."

"Reckon upon My coming. Know whenever faith brings Me on the scene, everything is changed. Darkness is turned to light. Grief is turned to joy. Sickness to health. Poverty to My sufficient supply. Doubt to faith. Anxiety to trust..."

"...Ask for the victory. I will come and bring it. Don't look for the victory - LOOK FOR ME, and ye shall see the victory that I shall bring with Me..."

AMEN

HI PEACHES,

I AM BLESSED BY YOUR REPLY...DONT'T LOOK FOR VICTORY---LOOK FOR ME,AND YE SHALL SEE THE VICTORY,THAT I SHALL BRING WITH ME...

I just feel that Jesus himself is talking to me,these word..Thanks a lot..

• 2 months later...

What happens if we don't hold on to Christ? We lose hope! We are no longer confident in our salvation! Without faith, it is impossible to please God.

• 2 months later...

We are being exhorted to hold on to Christ because He is the Apostle and High Priest that appeals to God on our behalf. He is the ruler of God's house whom we should obey.

We must continue our faith so we will be a part of God's household.

If we don't hold on to Christ, we will lose focus and we will not be a part of God's household

• 5 months later...

When a people have practised something all their life that has been passed down in the same way for generations upon generations, it is understandable that letting go of it would be difficult. The difficulty, and what should be the easier part, for a Jew is in seeing that a prophesy made so long ago has finally come true and then to change the way their traditions are done. The victory is indeed in being able to make that change.

We have to have the same tenacity as they have to have. Our traditions may not be as deep and rich, but sticking close to THE Savior is the only way for us to be victors. If we don't hold fast, then are we really part of his househiold with all the priveledges of a child of God? He certainly would not put us out but we often walk away.

God give us strength.

• 3 months later...

We need to hold on to Christ because He is God the Father’s messenger to whom we should listen, He is our High Priest who represents before the Father and He the Son, is in charge of God the Father’s house. Holding on to our faith gives us something to look forward to, we must be courageous and steadfast in our hope so that we are not persuaded or blown away by false teachings, temptations, or persecutions.

• 5 months later...

Q1. We need to hold on to our faith because, we have been given such a Great Salvation, better than the Law, a hope of rest attached to it, Eternal life to all who keep and perseviered to the end.

Many distractions and trials we will face in this world, but we must keep our faith in Christ, if we remain in him faithfully we shall inherit all the rewards awaiting us in the Promised Land, God has promised us in the book of Revelation 22:12 and Revelation 2-3.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

The writer is pleading with his readers to hold on to their Faith and what they have heard because he knows the consequences and wants the best for them.  He is doing what God wants all of us to do ENCOURAGE...ENCOURAGE...ENCOURAGE all of his children to to hold on, be of strong courage, be of hope, and be faithful to the end to receive the completeness and fullness of His rest.

We must continue in our faith for the same reasons as the people the writer was writing too, because God is the same everyday and if we don't we will not be able to enter into the Holy Rest God offers. 

• 1 month later...

The writer of Hebrews is encouraging his readers to hold on to Christ, because we are his house. We are to have courage, we are to have hope, looking forward to something with some reason for confidence, expecting fulfillment and hope of the eternal life with Christ.

We must continue in our faith, to have courage, confidence, boldness and fearlessness, because we are looking forward with reason for confidence and expecting the promises of Christ.

The writer of Hebrews encourages us not to lose our faith in Christ. There are many distractions in life that will draw our attention and cause us to lose sight of our eternal goal, to be with Christ in the Kingdom of God.          

• 7 months later...

Christ is our High Priest and we are not to return to world things. So we don't lose our salvation. We will lose out on Christ Priesthood.

• 2 years later...

the writer is telling the reader to hold on to Christ, who is the example of  perfect faithfulness, who walked holy and righteous, even while being tempted by Satan, even during trial and persecution,  he never wavered in his faith or his purpose to do the will of God, his father.. If we want to be a part of the promised kingdom, we must continue on in the faith that we say we have and believe in.  If we don't we will not enter into the rest that God has promised those of the faith.  Those who disobeyed God in the wilderness did not cross over to the promised land that God promised them.  Only those who continued trusting and believing and doing the will of God entered.  If we live right and do what God requires of us, heaven belongs to us as promised.

• 2 years later...

When we truly accept the Lord meaning take Him for Him for who He truly is and accept Him as both Savior and Lord then we must learn to persevere in the faith so we can earn the promised crown of life that is mentioned in James. But also so we can be an example to others in the faith as well. According to the Scriptures we will not enter into His rest when we don't hold onto Him. 

• 10 months later...

Suffering & difficulties make us look for an EASIer pathway. An “everything will be alright in the end” mentallity!

To guard against this its important to HOLD on like a climber remaining attached to their climbing rope! Unclipping can be disasterous!!! 
Christ is our Promised land & without Him we will never enter into all the Father has prepared for us. Suffering is a “TEST”! 
Without Christ there is no promised land. Only wrath & loss of every kind. Suffering is short term. Turning back is Long term!!!

Suffering & difficulties make us look for an EASIer pathway. An “everything will be alright in the end” mentallity!

To guard against this its important to HOLD on like a climber remaining attached to their climbing rope! Unclipping can be disasterous!!! 
Christ is our Promised land & without Him we will never enter into all the Father has prepared for us. Suffering is a “TEST”! 
Without Christ there is no promised land. Only wrath & loss of every kind. Suffering is short term. Turning back is Long term!!

• 1 year later...

Without faith, it is impossible to please God. Heb11:6

If He is not pleased we must repent with contrite broken hearts. If we permanently lose faith, we are no longer saved, and in reality we had never surrendered everything to our creator. So let's be careful, that the evil one be defeated and we rejoice and return to our evangelist mission of Matt 28:19

Why is the writer exhorting his readers to "hold on" to Christ? Why must we continue in our faith? According the writer of Hebrews, what happens if we don't?

Without faith, it is impossible to please God. Heb11:6

If He is not pleased we must repent with contrite broken hearts. If we permanently lose faith, we are no longer saved, and in reality we had never surrendered everything to our creator. So let's be careful, that the evil one be defeated and we rejoice and return to our evangelist mission of Matt 28:19

Indeed, we must firmly hold on to the bible's truth as we are taught daily, to stand up for what is right in the eyes of Christ, our LORD and Savior.