JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Restoration from Apostasy

Apostasy is deliberately turning one's back on one's salvation. Sadly I know a case in point.

I once knew this guy back in the 80's who was a Christian and really "on fire" for the Lord.

I ran into him a couple of years ago. He has since become an atheist, denying the vary existence of God.

It is impossible from a practical standpoint to restore apostates to Christian faith and practice because they have willfully denounced the crucifixion and turned their back on Christ, hardening their hearts.

The point Jesus was making in His "Parable of the Sower" is everyone who hears the word of God, responds differently to it.

Jesus' point of the "Parable of the Tares or Weeds" is sometimes it's hard to tell a false believer from a genuine Christian. Only during the sheep and goat judgment, will Christ reveal those who are truly His.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Hebrews 6:4-6) What is apostasy? Why is it impossible from a practical standpoint to restore apostates to Christian faith and practice? What point was Jesus making in his Parable of the Sower (Matthew 13:1-9, 18-23)? What is Jesus' point of the Parable of the Tares or Weeds (Matthew 13:24-30)?

Apostasy is the turning away from one

• 1 month later...

RE: Hebrews 6:4-6: The reason it is impossible for these particular "Christians" to repent is simply because they do not see a need to repent! They believe they are "once, saved, always saved" and have fallen away from the truth of God's Word that says Jesus only saves those who OBEY Him (Heb 5:9) and they conveniently ignore the many, many other verses in both Old and New Testaments that warn believers to obey God and not fall away from His statues. These apostates base their "gospel" on the teachings of men such as Calvin, Luther, and many modern day off-shoots of these same false teachers, rather than relying on God's Word alone. A little leaven leavens the WHOLE lump! IN a nutshell: They cannot repent because like the Pharisees and Saducees of Jesus' day, they think THEY are RIGHT and anyone who points out the truth of God's Word is offensive to them. They don't realize that by doing this, they are denying Jesus as coming in the flesh! (1 Jn 4:6). The Father came through Jesus and the religious phonies denied it was Him. Jesus comes through those who follow Him and the religious apostates deny it is Him! History always repeats itself. You can't "repent" if you are wise in your own eyes!

• 1 month later...
Q3. (Hebrews 6:4-6) What is apostasy? Why is it impossible from a practical standpoint to restore apostates to Christian faith and practice? What point was Jesus making in his Parable of the Sower (Matthew 13:1-9, 18-23)? What is Jesus' point of the Parable of the Tares or Weeds (Matthew 13:24-30)?

Apostasy is religious faith. Some people don'y have that kind of faith that is bold enough to believe in God to come through for them. Jesus was making an illustration, or telling a story of The Parable of the Sower" which was to deep for His disciples to understand at that time He was talking to them. Jesus want was tell them that the Tares and Weeds had to grow together until harvest time, then they would be seprated.

• 2 months later...

Thinking about

• 3 months later...

Apostasy is were a Christian turns to rebellion, mutiny from their original faith in God their Father and confess that God's word is not true. In Matthew 24: 4-14 NIV Jesus stated, " Jesus answered: Watch out that no one deceives you. (5) For many will come in my name, claiming, I am the Christ and will deceive many, (6) You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. (7) Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. (8) All these are the beginning of birth pains (sorrows). (9) Then you will be handed over to the persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. (10) At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, (11) and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. (12) Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, (13) but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. (14) And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

It is impossible to restore or go back to the beggarly of doubt, unbelifeth and unrighteous sins that we were once professing however, if we have been grounded in the world of God and been truly throughly washed in the blood of the Lamb who is Jesus Christ and have put on the whole armor of God we can't be deceive in going back or profess apostasy. In Ephesians 6: 10-17 NIV (10) Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. (11) Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. (12) For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. (13) Therefore put on the full whole armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. (14) Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, (15) and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. (16) In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. (17) Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

In the Parable of the Sower Jesus is saying that those who first come to him will fall by the way side or will turn back to their sinful nature if they don't hear and understand the word and become rooted and grounded in the word however those who get rooted and grounded in God's word will be able to withstand the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth which will choke their understanding and beliefth of the word of God.

The Parable of the Tares or Weeds Jesus is saying that the wheat are the saints of God or believers of God and the tares or weeds are representing the sinners or unbelievers, both are living in this world together and going to church together however some may say destroy the enemy right now which are the weeds or tares but Jesus says no you might pull up the Christians or believers with the tares, let the wheat and tares grow together or go to church together and when it is time to harvest them up which will be the rapture, collect the wheat first who will be raputre up to heaven and then destroy or burned the tares who will be cast into the lake of fire which is hell.

Q3. (Hebrews 6:4-6) What is apostasy?

Apostasy is an absolute, no looking back, deliberate separation of oneself from God.

Why is it impossible from a practical standpoint to restore apostates to Christian faith and practice?

Because it is, in effect, blaspheming the Holy Spirit which is unforgivable.

What point was Jesus making in his Parable of the Sower (Matthew 13:1-9, 18-23)?

Jesus is essentially saying that those who have received the word in earnest, sought to understand it and are actively and consistently applying it to their lives are bearing fruit, sowing and reaping along lifes way are true disciples.

What is Jesus' point of the Parable of the Tares or Weeds (Matthew 13:24-30)?

We do have a responsibility to warn those who are in open and evident sin. That is not a difficult call to make. However, wheat and tares are very difficult to tell apart. We are not to go about trying to rid the church of what we consider 'tares'. We are to leave that to the Lord. We dare not destroy the good in our feeble attempt to purge the bad. Only God can read the heart and tell the true from the false. Our job is to exhort and build each other up, urging one another on to victory.

• 2 weeks later...

1. What is apostasy? I don't know for certain. I think it has something to do with adding the law of "you must not sin" or "you must do something" to grace which says "I cant do anything by myself, but Christ can and did" so often and for so long that they get mentally and permanently confused and think that they believe in the person of Christ when they are really only believing in the power of Christ they once had in the same way demons do without believing in his long-suffering love, patience and forgiveness such that repentance to Christ when they fall becomes impossible because they think admitting their sin is the same as calling Jesus a sinner (which is sick and twisted) and because they don't admit their sin, they do not receive forgiveness nor the purification which results from forgiveness. Or they take pride in the ability the Spirit's freedom gives to obey in such a lasting and perverting way that they pridefully think they no longer need Christ since fulfilling the law has become habit to them with such a great and powerful pride that they sever themselves from the vine and are unable to repent because they don't trust God to re-graft them into the vine, which only shows that their belief in His authority and willingness to forgive was inadequate in the first place. I don't know, but it feels like I have rode on the brink of this cliff. I think this is the reason it is so important for us to admit in our heart and to others our sin. For the record, I sinned terribly Saturday by disrespecting my own mother when she asked me to help her do something because I felt that "I must" do some good work I had already scheduled my day for (because I thought I must and could do this work to stay saved) and then I figured that it was sinful not to obey my mother so I thought I must and could do both good works and I did neither and I feel terrible because I know my failure to obey was a lack of belief in the efficacy of Christ's work and therefore my forgiveness in Him and a refusal to submit the matter to Christ my PERSONAL Savior and also because I know I came to that place through pride in my self - which is insanity! Please pray that Jesus keep me in belief in all that He is only and that He build a wall between me and legalism.

When I read this and other warnings like it, I choke on them. They make me fearful and make me run back to milk, which I still need. I think that is the reason the writer gives this meat to children who still need milk but in their pride demand the meat. By giving the meat, the prideful children get a more sober view of themselves such that they are able to accept the milk they still need.

2. Jesus' point of the Parable of the Sower refers to the fact that the word is also the Holy Spirit. If a man's heart does not remain soft and humble, the Seed of the Spirit gets stunted in its growth and may also be lost. So, we must humble ourselves before the Lord and believe the Holy Spirit in us who testifies of Christ's great love for us.

3. The point of the parable of the tares and weeds is that Believers rarely sin because of their belief in Christ's forgiveness which frees them from fear and Legalists appear on the surface not to sin (though inwardly they fear condemnation and are in fact in bondage to fear) such that to outside observers they appear indistinguishable. The Lord, however, judges the heart and will make the identity of both plain to all because He will send a great trial upon the church such that only those in Christ's love will persevere.

• 3 weeks later...

Abandonment of what one has voluntarily professed; Total desertion of principles or faith.

Why is it impossible from a practical standpoint to restore apostates to Christian faith and practice?

The desertion or abandonment implies a running to another belief system or principles to replace the former commitment.

What point was Jesus making in his Parable of the Sower (Matthew 13:1-9, 18-23)?

The many "heart conditions" determine the depth of penetration of the Word in the persons life. The Rocky soil could represent one who becomes apostate : "One who hears the Word, welcomes and accepts it with joy; Yet it has no real root in him, but is temporary (inconstant, lasts but

a little while); and when affliction or trouble or persecution comes on account of the Word, at once he is caused to stumble and (he is repelled and begins to distrust and desert Him Whom he ought to trust and obey) and he falls away."

There are those who look and act and serve as though they are true Christians, but are not born again....probably have a religious spirit which mimics true faith. The point He makes in v.28 is that it's not our job to go and weed them out; Jesus said He will sort them out lest the true wheat be destroyed as well. (My Mother in law was in a cult, where women were chattel and their "salvation" depended upon the husbands generosity of spirit at the "resurrection" depending on how well she had served him. As a new Christian viewing her life, I thought she was a saint! )

These parables lend balance to this difficult portion of Scripture, which I'm certain Satan loves, because it terrifies some and discourages others, leading to judging "who is saved and who is apostate". I believe the writer was saying to these discouraged believing Jews, "Don't think if you abandon Christ to go back to temple worship and animal sacrifice, that you will find salvation there....salvation is found in Christ alone.

• 1 month later...

Turning away for God and Jesus as Lord and Savior.

Because one does not repent and often turns to another belief system.

There are many conditions of the heart in accepting the Word.

Salvation comes from no way other than accepting Jesus as Lord and Savior. God will decide this. It is not up to us to decide.

• 6 months later...

Apostasy is abandonment of your Christian faith. From a practical viewpoint, it would seem impossible for one to return to Christ after turning away from Him due to the fact that if you fell that far from God's grace only a miracle from God could bring you back into the fold, but with God nothing is impossible. Jesus point in the sower parable is that many hear the word of God which is the seed but because they have no root, they could not grow in the understanding of the magnitude and majesty of God. In the parable of the wheat and tares, His point was that only the one who hears and understands the message of God and grows roots, is the one who is of good soil and will continue to produce without falling away.

• 3 weeks later...

From a practical standpoint, restoring faith to one who has fallen away, seems impossible due to the weaknesses and the frailties of the human spirit. Dealing with lifes issues, hardships, disappointments and everyday trials can be factors in causing one to lose faith in God and abandon Christ.

• 3 months later...

Q3. (Hebrews 6:4-6)

What is apostasy?

Apostasy is the deliberate and complete abandonment of the Christian faith. It could be a gradual process that leads from unbelief to disobedience to apostasy. After rejecting our Lord Jesus we get a hardening of the heart and then the impossibility of repentance. It is not only a careless disregard of Christ, but a deliberate, malicious rejection of Christ. Our Lord is betrayed and He is ridiculed. And all this after enjoying all the privileges mentioned in these verses.

In the Parable of the Sower, Jesus makes the point that these persons had tasted the good Word of God. As they heard the gospel preached, they were strangely moved and drawn to it. They were like the seed that fell on rocky ground; they heard the word and immediately received it with joy, but they had no root in themselves. They endure it for a while, but as soon as they encounter any hardships they promptly fell away.

In the Parable of the Weeds, Jesus depicts the field as the world, and the good seed are the persons of the kingdom, and the weeds are the persons of the wicked one. We find Satan sows the world with those who look like, talk like, and, to some extent, walk like believers. But they are not genuine followers of the King. The harvest is at the end of the age, which will be when Jesus Christ returns in power and glory to reign as King. The reapers are the angels who will round up all evildoers and throw them into the furnace of fire, where they will weep and gnash their teeth.

• 2 months later...

Apostasy is one who has accepted Christ then completly walked away from Him, giving up on all they have learned, and turned against Christ. Falling away from the truth. I think that it is that they have rejected Christ and they would be putting Christ back on the cross for themselves, so if God has turned His ears away from them there is no way we could restore them back to Christian faith and practice, after all it is Christ who works in us that does the work, not us. That is why in Hebrews 3 vs 13 we are told too: "but exort one another daily, while it is called Today, lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin." I believe Jesus is telling us when we are learning of His Word to reach out to others also so that we can get understanding and grow from it, so that we may plant ourselves on firm ground and become strong so that in time of trouble we will be able to stand firm with Christ and not give in to satan. This is a world of good and bad and there is no seperating us. We have sin all around us and learn to live our best as followers of Christ. The Lord tells us to stay true to His Word to the end and we will be saved. Thanks be to God! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Apostasy is the desertion from one

• 6 months later...

APOSTASY - to renounce (forsake or abandon) one's faith in God and refuse to continue in fellowship with Him. . .

It is impossible to restore an apostate to Christain faith and practice from a practical standpoint because they are in a state or condition of rejecting God and as long as they are rejecting Him it is impossible forthem to repent. . . Repentance is a change of direction - a change of heart and mind - as long as they are in the process of rejecting God - renouncing their trust or confidence in God and His Word - refusing to fellowship with Him - there is no possible way of returning to Him. . . If one has resolved to go in a southward direction, and to continue in that direction - anything and everything north of him / her is out of reach and besically abandoned - the same is applicable to anyone in an apostate condition - anything and everything that relates to God has been and continues to be abandoned / forsaken - making it impossible to experienece. . . However, as with the prodigal son I am convinced that Jesus has a way of permitin certain things or happening in the life of the apostate that will eventually cause them to come to the realization that there is yet hope in Christ Jesus - and whenever, or if ever, they allow these conditions to bring them back into the right mind - they can and will repent and return to God. . .

The Word of God speaks of a sin wherein there is no pardon - my understanding is that "SIN" is the rejection of Jesus as Lord and Savior - however, we all rejected Him until we came into a relationship with Him through God's plan of salvation. . . Through this plan - Romans 10:9-13 (NLT)

[b]9 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

10 For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved.

11 As the Sciptures tell us,

• 5 months later...

Answer: From Wikipedia--Apostasy (pronounced /əˈpɒstəsi/) is the formal religious disaffiliation, abandonment, or renunciation of one's religion, especially if the motive is deemed unworthy.

I don

• 2 months later...

Like I indicated in the last question, I know for me that it is impossible for me to turn away from God. For one thing-I don't want to. For another-I just don't think a person can, after being sealed with the Holy Spirit. A person who is a true believer can not go away. Apostasy describes a person who has only been a Christian a short while. Like the seed parable. They were sown on rocky soil, or they didn't grow roots, and so they didn't survive. Or, they were planted with weeds, and the weeds chocked them out. Christians go to church with unbelievers and fake children of God. They grow together until harvest-then in goes the sickle, and the weeds are thrown in the fire.

I just don't think that a true child of God can go back. It's kind of like the girl that wanted to sail around the world. She got so far, and then realized that turning back was no longer an option-she had gone too far.

Apostasy is a falling away, defection, withdrawl, or turning from what on has formerly turned to. To sever one's saving relationship with Christ or to withdraw from vital union with and true faith in Him. It is impossible because of self-deception. Those who by an unbeliving heart depart from God may yet think they are Christians, but their indifference to the demands of Christ and the Holy Spirit and to the warnings of Scripture points otherwise. On the Parable of the Sower, Christ speaks these parables in order to alert His true disciples to expect evil within the kingdom and to teach them how to overcome the influence and opposition of Satan and his followers. The only way to do so is through wholehearted devotion to Christ and a life commitrted to righteousness. The Parable of the Tares, Jesus is saying that Satan will sow alongside those who sow the Word of God. The gospel and true believers will be planted thrughout the world.Satan will also plant his followers among God's people to counteract God's truth. The principle work of Satan's emissaries within the visible kingdom of heaven will be undermining the authority of God's Word and promoting unrighteousness and false doctrine. While we are on this earth, God's people and the evil will live together. God will not destroy the evil until He comes back. Faithful believers must always be alert to the subversive elements and individuals that Satan is planting within all parts of God's work.

• 2 months later...

1) Apostasy is to fall away from truth. someone who once believed then rejected the truth of God.

2) It is impossible from a practical standpoint to restore apostates to Christian faith and practice because one has become more and more hardened in unbelief so it is impossible to be brought back to repentance a second time.

3) Point of the Parable to the Sower is that mans reception of God's word is determined by the condition of his heart. There are different ways of accepting the God's word and they produce different kinds of fruit

4) Point of the Parable of Tares and Weeds is that tares and weeds will grow together, but weed will be removed during God's judgement. In other words, the kingdom of God is in the world where there is much evil and will remain until the good and evil will be separated

• 9 months later...

Apostasy is to deliberately turn away from the faith in Christ. People who deliberately turn from Christ cut themselves off from God’s blessings and forgiveness. Jesus’ point in the parable of the sower was not all seed that is planted will sprout. Even those that do sprout produce varying crops. His point in the tares and weeds parable is people respond differently because they are in different states of readiness and the word may or may not take root.

• 5 months later...

Q3. Apostasy is leaving the Christian way, grow cold in the love for Christ. is to turn from God the the old nature once one was saved from.

Only God can have a way for restoration of such individual.

In the parable of the sower the seed fell in diferent grounds, each seed responded diferently.

We pray that none of us who have received the truth of the Gospel would ever turn away from the love and forgiveness of God.

• 1 year later...

Apostasy is the total departure from one’s religion. So it is impossible from a practical standpoint to restore apostates to Christian faith and practice. They have completely abandoned their beliefs and fully believe that there is no Christ. I think that the point that Jesus was making in his Parable of the Sower is that some of the seeds thrown will not mature and the evil one will snatch it up.

• 2 years later...

An apostate is one who after experiencing Christianity, being a believer, who has experienced the promises of God, has totally gone back into his former belief or just completely rejected Christ and gone back into the world.

It is practically impossible to restore an apostate back to Christianity  because he has more than likely hardened his heart toward Christ. Perhaps he was not a true believer to begin with.

The point Jesus was making in His Parable of the Sower was that "When anyone hears the word of the Kingdom, and does not understand it, then the wicked one comes and snatches away what was sown in the heart" But, he who hears the word and understands it, bears much fruit and produces a hundred fold.

The point Jesus is making in the Parable of the Tares or weeds is that the Kingdom of Heaven is like a person who sowed good seed in his field. While he was sleeping his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat. The wheat and tares grew up together and the owner would not let the servants go and pull them out, least they would pull out the wheat also. But during the harvest, the wheat would be gathered and the tares would be burned up in the fire.