JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Anchor of our Hope

• 3 months later...
Q1. (Hebrews 6:18b-20) In what sense have we "fled to a place of refuge"? Why are we to "take hold of" this hope actively? How does Christian hope differ from hoping that something is true? In what ways does an anchor illustrate the idea of hope?

We who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged. We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. Like an anchor holding a ship safely in position, our hope in Christ guarantees our safety.

• 2 months later...
Q1. (Hebrews 6:18b-20) In what sense have we "fled to a place of refuge"?

The place of refuge was created by Christ through His sacrifice. The refuge is safety from the evil one, freedom from the bondage of sin. By dwelling in this place we have rest. It is a place where we are being protected, where He is fighting our battles.

Psa 91:1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High

will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

Why are we to "take hold of" this hope actively?

Like it says in Psalm 91:1, we must dwell there...meaning we must actively seek Him, pursue Him and live in Him to be in this rest and in this safetly zone. It is free, but we cannot obtain it mindlessly. If we get lazy about these things our hope can fade.

How does Christian hope differ from hoping that something is true?

Our hope goes beyond believing in something that is true. The gospel is true, but testified of by the Holy Spirit to our spirits. There is a deep knowing of not only truth, but validity of Him who has testified of it. It is that hope that bring that truth into our reality, by faith it becomes our foundation for all things.

In what ways does an anchor illustrate the idea of hope?

An anchor is a solid and firm hold of one thing by another. It is clear that hope is the anchor the holds us securely to the Father's promise.

Q1. (Hebrews 6:18b-20) In what sense have we "fled to a place of refuge"? Why are we to "take hold of" this hope actively? How does Christian hope differ from hoping that something is true? In what ways does an anchor illustrate the idea of hope?

Lowly places happen when we try to do life on our own, resulting in broken promises or finding little hope. I seek the face of God here on earth, and seek refuge or flee to my grantor of Grace because I recognize how powerless I am. While holding God as my refuge, I will stand on His promises, and I stand on the guarantee that man cannot live by bread alone, much less use one another as refuge.

Christian hope dffers from man's hope (hoping for truth) by 'life everlasting'. Man may be able to throw a lifejacket to another man, but man cannot save another man's soul.

Actively holding and embracing God in our lives means that we trust in Him and not ourselves. This embrace puts us in union with the anchor Himself and this embrace becomes our own 'oath' of a future to Him, for Him and with Him. Therefore our hope belongs to Him and not ourselves, resulting in life everlasting, joy, peace, good health and righteousness in all things. How encouraging!

• 3 months later...

We have this hope in knowing that we have fled from the sins of this world, death and hopelessness, for eternal life and blessings of reassurance that our high priest is our advocate, our hope and our Lord and Saviour.

Hope actively is taking hold of our inheritance and manifesting it through our faith knowing and trusting in Jesus that he will never leave us nor forsakes us is our blessed hope in Jesus. Our hope in in God who never sleeps nor slumber what ever God say is true, Romans 3:4 let God bed true but every man a liar. Our hope is the hope of God whatever God says is true and can't be a default.

That blessed hope in knowing that you are rooted and grounded in the word of God and can not be shaken from every wiles of the devil devices. This anchor that we have in Jesus let us know that we can not be deceive by the devil because we are in the care, will and hands of God.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Hebrews 6:18b-20) In what sense have we "fled to a place of refuge"?

We fled the captivity of darkness and the evil one, ruin and eternal damnation and ran into Jesus, our Stonghold, Stong Tower, Hiding Place of safety and salvation....eternal life with Him.

Our salvation is a conscious decision, not a passive "maybe I will, maybe I won't" kind of thing....or the thing many do, and I've done in the past, of making a decision by not deciding...sort of leaving things to "fate". Taking hold says to me It's being held out to me and to receive it I must grasp it actively.

Christian hope is "confident expectation of receiving", not I "hope so"....maybe...if we're lucky.

An anchor grabs hold and secures the ship securely from drifting with the current. I love this, in light of our previous lesson, and the idea of losing our salvation. He is my Stronghold and my anchor who will keep me from drifting or turning away or being cut loose in the storms of life...He holds me securely and firmly in His grip. He seal us at salvation with the Holy Spirit....our anchor.

Someone said to me recently that they were surprised I still have faith after all of the things that have been thrown at me in life. I said "God held onto me, and when I prayed foolish prayers to die, He ignored those and reminded me how much He loves me. When I wanted to give up and quit, He sent fresh hope and encouragement. When I couldn't get out of bed, He sent spirit filled believers to come along side with help and assistance. He refused to let me go." I would add after doing this lesson...."He is my firm anchor who holds me fast."

• 7 months later...

We Christians who are relying on Jesus as our hope and fulfillment have fled to Him as a place of refuge or safety. God promised us His safety,then secured it with an oath, making it impossible for the promise to fail for those who believe in Him and have "fled to take hold of the hope" that the Father has offered to us through Jesus Christ.

We are to take hold of this hope actively so we can become steadfast, unwavering, and encouraged in times of trouble and danger as we seek refuge in Christ.

Christian hope is different in the sense that Christians are sure in our trust of Jesus. We believe fully in the promises of God and we are fully persuaded in the power of God to uphold His promises.

An anchor illustrates security and stedfastness. An anchor is firm and unmoved. Christian hope in Christ is unwavering as an anchor.

• 3 months later...

Q1. (Hebrews 6:18b-20)

In what sense have we "fled to a place of refuge"?

As believers we find our refuge in our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Remembering that we are refugees from the sinking ship that is this world, and that our only hope, our spiritual anchor, rests in our Lord Jesus himself, based upon God

• 2 months later...

PSALM 91 "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty, I will say to the Lord, :He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom, I trust."When I pray this I feel like He has embraced me, this is one of many verses where the writer has used the word refuge, and each time it gives me a security of protection. PSALM 34 "VS 8 Taste and see that the Lord is good, blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him. God does not lie, He finishes what He has set out to do, He is the same today as He was 2000 plus years ago, He is true to His Word that is why I take hold of this Hope. Christian hope is real we believe in it, where as hoping for somthing is a question of whether or not it will come about ," I hope tomorrow the sun will shine so I can cut my grass". I think of an anchor of a ship and its weight to settle to the oceans floor to take hold of something to hold the ship still, the same as my hope is anchored in Gods Word once anchored He will not let go. Isn`t He awesome! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

We have fled to a place of refuge because Jesus Christ is our place of safety. He alone is our refuge from the evil of the world. We look to the Lord for protection from the evil one. The Lord is our shield. Our trust is in Him. We are to take hold of this hope because it is the only thing that we have to rely on. If it does not come from the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit it will not protect us. Hoping something is true carries doubt, but the Christian hope carries certainty of what you believe in Christ Jesus. An anchor illustrates the idea of hope because of the strength of the materials the anchor is made from. We know that once the anchor is thrown into the water the boat will not drift away because the boat will be held in its place.

• 6 months later...

By leaving the world and coming to Jesus - whose Word / promises we can rely upon. . . God has given us His Word and has sworn to bring them to pass in our lives. . .

By actively taking hold of this hope we are able to receive what God has promised us - God promises are firm and secure. . .

Christian hope is being sure of what God has promised coming to pass. Hoping in something that is true doesn't change affect the truth of that statement - nor does it guarantee what has been said coming to pass in our lives. . .

The illustration is that which God has promised is steadfast and sure. . .

B)

• 5 months later...

Answer:

Hebrews 6:18-20- 18 That by two immutable things, in which [it was] impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us: 19 Which [hope] we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; 20 Whither the forerunner is for us entered, [even] Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec

1.In what sense have we "fled to a place of refuge"?

Place of Refuge,here means is a place of rest,a place of assurance for those who wants to claim through faith,their place in the kingdom of God. Assurance in the sense that, whoever go there will find peace through the Grace of God.In the Old testament,it is a place specially prepared and commanded by God,to be built for those who are afraid of their enemy(Avenger),and all who dwell in that place is assured of Protection:

Numbers 35:15- These six cities shall be a refuge, [both] for the children of Israel, and for the stranger, and for the sojourner among them: that every one that killeth any person unawares may flee thither.

However if the person who seek refuge,decided to go out from that place,then anybody(revenger) can just kill him,without being held accountable

Numbers 35:26-27- 26 But if the slayer shall at any time come without the border of the city of his refuge, whither he was fled; 27 And the revenger of blood find him without the borders of the city of his refuge, and the revenger of blood kill the slayer; he shall not be guilty of blood.

This only shows that the PLACE OF REFUGE,is JESUS CHRIST himself,that everybody is welcome to His promise of Salvation,and be covered by His blood.That no enemy can slay Him,except if the goes out from that Union with Jesus Christ.

2.Why are we to "take hold of" this hope actively?

We need to take hold of this hope,because it is a Covenent by God, and God always honors His Covenant.In Genesis 22:16-17,God again bless Abraham,as part of His First Covenenant with Him in which God promises Him a son and multiplying its seeds:

Genesis 15:5- And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be.---First Covenant to Abraham

Genesis 22:16-17-And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only [son]: 17 That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which [is] upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies----God confirms His Covenent with Abraham,after He obeyed to offer Isaac as Sacrifice.

3. How does Christian hope differ from hoping that something is true? In what ways does an anchor illustrate the idea of hope?

A Christian Hope is Hope Anchored on the WORD of GOD,in His Promises,in His Faithfulness and Goodness,Mercy,Grace,and Love.

In hoping that something is true,is Hope based on human wisdom,without concrete foundation that it would manifest

• 2 months later...

We can flee to the place of refuge because we know God cannot lie. The truthfulness of God not only applies to His Word to Abraham, but also to His Word in all Scripture. Because Scripture is the inspired Word of God, it is completely true and trustworthy. The truth of God's Word is inherent in the very words and sentences of Scripture. Under the law there were cities of refuge provided for those who were pursued by the avenger of blood. Jesus Christ is a much better refuge prepared by the gospel, a refuge for all sinners who shall have the heart to flee to it though they have been the chief of sinners. The consolations of God are strong enough to suppot his people under their strongest trials. The comforts of this world are too weak to bear up the soul under temptation, persecution, and death, but the consolations of the Lord are neither few nor small. We are in the world as a ship at sea, liable to be tossed up and down, and in danger of being cast away. Our souls are the vessels. The comforts, expectations, graces, and happiness of our souls are the precious cargo with which these vessels are loaded. Heaven is the harbor to which we sail. The temptations, persecutions, and afflictions that we encounter are the winds and waves that threaten our shipwreck. We have need of an anchor to keep us sure and steady, or we are in continual danger. We have hope through grace. Not a flattering hope made out of spider's web, but a true work of God, it is a strong and substantial thing. It is an anchor that is cast upon the rock, the Rock of Ages. Jesus Christ is that anchor. He is the anchor-hold of the believer's hope. He is a steadfast hope. We will forever be safe, satisified, and secure in Christ, our anchor and hope.

We hide in Jesus, Who is our place of refuge. God can not lie, and He is our anchor when the storms of life beat against our spirit. We know that God is real, and Jesus died for us, and the hope that we have is more knowing that, in the future, we have a place to go where Jesus is, and we are moving toward that promise, because we trust His word.

• 2 months later...

1) We have fled to a place of refuge in Jesus by relying on His promise and oath because we know God cannot lie. He along brings us hope.

2) We are to take hold of this hope because it is a strong encouragement. We know it is firm and secure.

3) Christians hope differ from hoping that something is true because of our faith.

4) An anchor illustrate the idea of hope by staying firm and secure. When an anchor hits bottom it holds the ship fast from being blown just as our hope holds us firm, unshifting.

• 9 months later...

We have fled to Jesus as our place of refuge because He alone brings us hope and is our refuge. The hope is the promises of God to Christians. We must hold on to it as we experience life’s trials and temptations. Christian hope differs from hoping something is true by the fact that Jesus is behind our hope. He is the anchor that makes hope firm and secure. Our hope that is anchored in Jesus is reliable, steadfast, unshifting, and provides us comfort when needed as we wait for God’s promises.

• 5 months later...

Q1. (Hebrews 6:18b-20) In what sense have we "fled to a place of refuge"? We flee to Jesus beacuse is the only safe place to be secure from all tribulations of life on earth.

The hope of christians is based on God who never fails nor lie, His promises are true and trusworthy, we can rely on God for He Is faithful to accomplish all he promises in His Word.

The anchor a heavy metal in a form of the cross, ilustrates the cross of Jesus, there is security in Jesus, we can hold on to Him in times of great need, as the anchor holds the ship from being tossed by the waeving storming sea, so we found ourselves secured in Him as our sure hope.

• 1 year later...

I think that the sense that we have “fled to a place of refuge” is in the way we pray and can be comforted with that. There are a lot of bad things happening in this world and if we didn’t have a place to go to then we would probably change for the worst. That is the reason we should hold onto this hope actively.

I have hoping for something that is true so that must be different then hoping for that might be true. The way that the anchor illustrates the idea is that the anchor holds the ship in one place and the ship pivots around the anchor. That is true with our hope. We are anchored to Jesus Christ but we wander all around our anchor.

• 2 years later...

In the sense we "fled to a place of refuge" as Christians we flee to Christ, to whom we put our hope and faith in. He is our anchor to hold us firm in our hope, our refuge and shelter.

We are to "take hold of" this hope actively by trusting Jesus who has overcome the world. Through faith we are anchored to his redemptive power that has overcome the world.

Christians hope differs from something that is true because we can already see the hope that is before us in the world and is within our reach. Christians must place their hope, their anchor and faith in the Lord. Whom we can not see or touch, but know our hope will be rewarded in eternal life with God.

An anchor illustrates the idea of hope because an anchor is used to secure a ship to the ocean floor. It is to keep a ship from being adrift freely about, it holds it secure. As our faith and belief in Christ, we are held secure in our belief, faith and hope.      

• 2 years later...

This book is a letter to the people who had turned from sin , found hope in Jesus and the faith and was enjoying all the promises of the Father.  For some reason some begin to fall away and return to sinning and their unbelief. This is a letter to encourage all Christians who are tempted with the trials and tribulations of this world to hold on to the hope of Christ, to flee to the place of refuge in him that he offers and promises to us. Christian hope is founded and based on our belief in Jesus Christ.  When we anchor ourselves in the word of God, then when trouble arise in our lives and sin presents itself to us, we can call on the name of Jesus to rebuke the devil.  Jesus is our high priest who will keep us from falling when we trust in him and believe.  he has told us, he has promised us this and he can not lie.  He is higher than the mortal priest that blessed Abraham for he is everlasting and will never die.  Our hope is in Jesus and we believe and have faith and know that when we anchor ourselves to him he will delivery us from all unrighteousness.

• 2 years later...

Christian hope is a fact- a firm expectation- that believers can lay hold of, like an anchor. This hope in turn lays hold of a person so that they have confidence in all that has been promised. The mariner's anchor is cast down into the depths of the sea; the believer's anchor is cast into upward to the inward sanctuary of heaven; where it lays hold of Christ and cannot be moved. The Greek word for forerunner refers to someone who goes ahead of a group; such as a military scout, and whom the rest of the group follows. It can also refer to a ship that went ahead of the main fleet, especially since large ships could not pass into Greece's harbors until high tide provided enough clearance. In the same way, Jesus precedes His people to pave their way to heaven- the very presence of God. (4:14, John14:2) (Jeremiah, D. 2013 David Jeremiah Study Bible NKJV) 

We can be absolutely sure of God's promises to us because of His holy, unfailing character (Num 23:19; Titus 1:2) He will never lead us astray but will always be truthful to us and guide us in the very best way possible. In the temple, an extremely thick veil stood as a barrier between the priests and God's presence. Only the high priest was permitted to pass through it on the Day of Atonement (Lev. 16). However, when Jesus died on the cross, the immense veil tore in two- from top to bottom (Matt 27:51, Mark15:38; Luke 23:45)-showing that He had removed the barrier between Himself and us (2 Cor 3:16; Heb 10:19-20), As believers this is the assurance that keeps our soul steady. No matter what may happen, we enjoy the everlasting presence of our God and nothing can separate us from Him ever again (Rom 8:38, 39). (Stanley, C. 2019 Charles Stanley Life Principles Study NKJV 2nd Ed.) 

I believe we are to take hold of it actively because so that we can stay close to the Lord and keep our soul steady.     

• 5 months later...
On 4/16/2007 at 12:01 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

We flee to Jesus to escape punishment for our sins.

It is reliable and we live an effective life in our struggles when we do so.

We know how things end up for us eternally. So it makes sense for us to live for Jesus now.

Keeps us upright, from being ruined, broken, and battered by life's storms.

• 1 year later...

(Hebrews 6:18b-20) In what sense have we "fled to a place of refuge"? Why are we to "take hold of" this hope actively? How does Christian hope differ from hoping that something is true? In what ways does an anchor illustrate the idea of hope?

We (the anchor for our souls) need a true totally secure refuge which we can depend upon. Christ crucified in our only hope, the  payment for our sins by His holy blood. An anchor helps keep a boat from drifting into trouble. Jesus, our great High Priest is our anchor;  He intercedes continually for each of us. We must reamin grateful in this fallen world to have such wonderful and continual support along with the hope of the promises in His word.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q1. Anchor of our Hope