JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Inadequacy of Animal Sacrifices

The blood of bulls and goats only appease but could not wash away the sins of man forever because the blood of animals could not wash away sins for an eternal redemption only through the blood of Jesus Christ could the sins of mankind be forgiven and be able to have eternal salvation and redemption.

The New Covenant atoned for all mankind sins from the Old Covenant to eternity.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Hebrews 10:4) Why can't the blood of bulls and goats actually take away sin?

The blood of bulls and goats did nothing to change the inner man, the heart.

Animal blood was the type and shadow, the forerunner, the lesser, waiting until God's timing for the Greater, the Perfect, sinless blood of His only begotten Son, to be shed to atone for sin, once for all.

What happened then to the sins the Old Testament saints thought were atoned for under the Old Covenant?

They were covered as they looked forward to the cross, which the bronze serpent on the pole represented. The blood of Jesus reached back through time and washed them away, as it does ours today if we are "IN" Christ, and will continue into the future until the last sin is cleansed.

• 1 month later...
Q4. (Hebrews 10:4) Why can't the blood of bulls and goats actually take away sin? What happened then to the sins the Old Testament saints thought were atoned for under the Old Covenant?

Q4. (Hebrews 10:4) Why can't the blood of bulls and goats actually take away sin?

When the inner man is changed, sin can be forgiven but the blood of bulls and goats only changed the outer man.

What happened then to the sins the Old Testament saints thought were atoned for under the Old Covenant?

The people of the Old Testament looked forward to the coming of the Messiah.Their sins were also washed away by the blood of Christ as He reached back through time.

• 6 months later...

An animal is of lesser value than a human. Therefore, only the sacrifice of something of greater value for something of less value is adequate for the atonement of sin. Only Jesus because He is the Greatest of all.

The sins of the old saints were forgiven in the same way our sins have been forgiven. Even though the animals were not sufficient enough to make atonement for the old saints, God accepted their sacrifices and offered atonement because of the impending coming of the Messiah to bear all sin on the Cross; past sins, present sins, and future sins.

• 3 months later...

Q4. (Hebrews 10:4)

Why can't the blood of bulls and goats actually take away sin?

We see that the covenant that God had made with the people of Israel had one serious deficiency: it was unable to take away the consciousness of sin. That is, it could not accomplish forgiveness.

• 2 months later...
Q4. (Hebrews 10:4) Why can't the blood of bulls and goats actually take away sin? What happened then to the sins the Old Testament saints thought were atoned for under the Old Covenant?

The blood of animals was only an image, a symbolic motive not able to purify us of our sin, but it acted as a reminder to us of our sin. Until Christ came there was no purification of sin, so I think when the sacrifices of animals took place God forgave them but they were not cleansed of the sins, God dealt with sin first hand back then. I think that when Jesus died He also purified those souls of long ago that were also followers of God. I am not sure but just some thought. :rolleyes:

• 7 months later...

Humans who are greater than animals are the ones who had sinned - therefore the sacrifice of the lesser is not able to atone for the sins of the greater. . . On the other hand, Jesus, who is the Creater of all things is greater than those He created (man)- therefore the sacrifice of Himself for our sins is more than adequate to atone for all of our sins. . .

Because the life is in the blood - this (sacrificial offering) being a system established by God Himself - The sacrifice of animals under the Old Covenant was accepted by God as an atonement until such time as Jesus offered Himself as an offering for the sins of all of humanity. . . 1 John 2:2 (NKJV) And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

B)

Q4. (Hebrews 10:4) Why <i>can't</i> the blood of bulls and goats actually take away sin? What happened then to the sins the Old Testament saints <i>thought</i> were atoned for under the Old Covenant?

The blood of bulls and goats can not take away sins because this did not cause repentance. True repentance is the work of the Holy Spirit and is a matter of the heart. The old covenant with the physical sacrifices was an external cleansing. The new order by the shed blood of Christ of removing sins is permanent and lasting and causes the repentant believer to want to be obedient to Father God.

The sins of the Old testament saints still existed, but because of their faith and their desire to obey Father God this was counted as righteousness to them. God looks at the heart, not at our outward efforts to please him. He desires a contrite and repentant heart who steadfastly looks to please and obey him out of thankfulness for the grace, forgiveness, and mercy shown by Father God.

• 5 months later...

Answer;

The Blood of bulls and goats are just type and shadow to come.They are symbolic, or indicators of Good things which are about to come.They are actually pointing to the Blood of Jesus shed in the cross.

The ineffectiveness is just plain and simple in itself,that the system of purification,atonement has to be done ...The same sacrifice to continue year after year..to atone for their sin and allow access to God. Indeed, the repeated sacrifice meant that both God and the worshipper were forced to remember sin. This violates the provision of the promise in Jeremiah 31:34 (quoted in Hebrews 8:12), "I will remember their sins no more." Thus the only conclusion that the author can draw is that the Old Testament sacrificial system failed to provide authentic access to God.(by Roger Hanh)

The sins of the Old Testament sins were covered, when they obey the ceremonial sacrifice as required to them.However those sins were never taken away,..until the Coming of our Lord Jesus,and I believe that when He ascended into Heaven,he has taken with Him,all those Old Testament Saints, and death was forever destroyed

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Hebrews 10:4) Why <i>can't</i> the blood of bulls and goats actually take away sin? What happened then to the sins the Old Testament saints <i>thought</i> were atoned for under the Old Covenant?

The blood of animals was only a temporary provision or atonement for the sins of the people; ultimately, a man was needed to serve as a substitute for humankind. Christ came to earth and was born as a man so that He might offer Himself in our place. Only a man who was free from sin could take our punishment for sin and adequately and perfectly satisfy the demands of God's holiness. The Old Testament saints had to go every year and present a sacrifice for their sins.

• 5 weeks later...

Animals are a lower life form than humans. Therefore, they (animals) are only a temporary sacrifice for sins. The Old Testament saints died believing in the Messiah that would come and cleanse all of sin. Their belief made them clean at the moment of Jesus' death.

• 2 months later...

1) The blood of bulls and goats can't take away sin because the sacrifices were insufficent. Animal blood could not take away sin it could only take it out of sight until Jesus came to deal with it permanently.

2) The sins the Old Testament saints were accepted by God.

• 9 months later...

Animal blood couldn’t take sins away because it was inadequate compared to the sins of humans because animals were a lesser sacrifice than the greater sins of humans. The blood of animals only sufficed for external cleansing but not internal cleansing of one’s heart. Therefore, the sins of the old Testament saints were temporarily forgiven.

• 1 year later...

The reason that the blood of bulls and goats can’t actually take away sins is because they are the lesser. They were not up to par with man and therefore could not take are sins away. This was just a ritual and something outward to think that their sins have been forgiven. I don’t know what happened to the sins the Old Testament saints thought were atoned for under the Old Covenant. I feel that is up to God to judge.

• 2 years later...

The blood of bulls and goats can't take away sin because they are only a reminder of the past years sins. Their blood did not make the people repent of their sins. The animal blood was a lesser sacrifice because they are inferior to humans.

The Old Testament saints thought their sins were being carried away by the escape goat and the blood of the sacrificial animals was used as an atonement for their sins. The Lord still had mercy for the Old Testament saints, but the sacrifice was ritual in nature and had to be celebrated annually.    

• 2 years later...

God never intended for the blood of goats and animals to be the way of atonement for sins.  It was only to prepare the way for the actual chosen one . He chose a people to instruct them on what would be required and how to obtain forgiveness of sins and to show and teach others by example. The old prophets spoke of this Messiah who would come and bring man back to God.  It is written in Isaiah and Jeremiah and all through the old testament.  Jesus himself speaks and always quoted the old testament of his coming to redeem man from sin and back to God.  He would be and is the only High Priest whose blood atones for sins!  He is the lamb that was bruised and slayed as the sacrifice for man's sin.  that is what God planned from the beginning when man disobeyed him in the garden of Eden.  Now that Christ has died and is sitting on the right hand of God, he is the intercessor to God for us who seek forgiveness and walk in righteousness.  Those who continued in the faith and kept the commandment of Moses will also be forgiven of their sins or rather are forgiven of their sins and will be judged accordingly as everyone will be on the day of judgement when Christ returns for his church.  Their sins were washed in the blood of the lamb also!  For that was the promise of God.  If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and  seek my face and turn from their wicked ways then I will hear from heaven and forgive their sins, and heal their land. 

• 2 years later...

The reason is that they were only able to cover up the sin not truly take it away and it had to be done yearly unlike Christ's sacrifice which was once and for all. They were not enough to atone for the sins of the people. 

• 5 months later...
On 4/16/2007 at 12:15 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The lesser creature can't fully atone for the sin of the greater(the person).

Christ paid for them as well. All sin for all time.

• 1 year later...

Why can't the blood of bulls and goats actually take away sin? What happened then to the sins the Old Testament saints thought were atoned for under the Old Covenant?

Animal blood from blemish-less doves, sheep, etc. can't permanently remove all  sin, it had to be redone every year. These OT saints were waiting in Sheol for Jesus to save them when He died on the cross.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q4. Inadequacy of Animal Sacrifices