JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Abraham's Confidence in God

Q4. (Hebrews 11:11). Which part of faith is related to (1) the depth of Abraham's confidence in God?

Abraham's faith in God's reliability and trustworthiness to fulfill His promisesl

Which part of faith is related to (2) the real existence and power of such a God?

Abraham's experiential faith based on His relationship with God from the day He spoke to him to go to the land that He would show him and God's faithfulness to lead him there.

How would you describe a faith that lacks either element?

I would describe it as believing IN God, but not BELIEVING God....not trusting Him. Like I believe in the President's existence, but don't know him personally, therefore don't expect personal interaction with him.

Based on verse 11 (not on verses 1-2), formulate in your own words a definition of faith.

Faith is the ability to step into the "air", if need be, based on the belief in His promise and the reliability of God's Words to me that when I step in faith, He will provide "solid ground" for me to stand on. It's believing His Word even though circumstances may be directly opposite of what He's promised me.

• 1 month later...
Q4. (Hebrews 11:11). Which part of faith is related to (1) the depth of Abraham's confidence in God? Which part of faith is related to (2) the real existence and power of such a God? How would you describe a faith that lacks either element? Based on verse 11 (not on verses 1-2), formulate in your own words a definition of faith.

Q4. (Hebrews 11:11). Which part of faith is related to (1) the depth of Abraham's confidence in God?

Abraham believed in God's promise as he believed God to be trustworthy.

Which part of faith is related to (2) the real existence and power of such a God?

Abraham realized God had been faithful in his life as His promises were fulfilled.

Both elements are important in faith. One that lacks believing in God misses the personal relationship and the knowing that person can be trusted. A faith lacking believing God's promises would believe God's existence but not what He has promised. What a joy to have faith in both elements.

Based on verse 11 (not on verses 1-2), formulate in your own words a definition of faith.

Faith to me means that even though I can' physically see, touch, hear, etc. God, I know He exists and that His promises are true. :P

• 6 months later...

Belief was the part of faith related to the depth of Abraham's confidence in God.

The part of faith that COMES from God that brings to our understanding of the reality and power of God. We start with a little faith and God increases it; faith by faith.

I would call it lack of faith.

Faith is believing God as the God who can make things that seem impossible, possible. :o

• 3 months later...

Q4. (Hebrews 11:11).

Which part of faith is related to (1) the depth of Abraham's confidence in God?

Faith is confidence in the trustworthiness of God. It is the conviction that what God says is true and that what He promises will come to pass. Faith not only believes that God exists, but it also trusts Him to reward those who diligently seek Him. There is nothing about God that makes it impossible for men to believe. The difficulty is with the human will.

• 3 months later...
Q4. (Hebrews 11:11). Which part of faith is related to (1) the depth of Abraham's confidence in God? Which part of faith is related to (2) the real existence and power of such a God? How would you describe a faith that lacks either element? Based on verse 11 (not on verses 1-2), formulate in your own words a definition of faith.

Abraham believed in God, he did not see God either but really believed in Him. He was willing to give up all that he knew and had and go where God told him to go. He was willing to give up his son as a sacrifice, I do not know how much deeper in faith and trust and love one could go. Faith is believing that the Lord hears your every prayer, every request, and knowing that God will do what is needed to be done in His time. That all that is promised is real and will be. :rolleyes:

• 7 months later...

That against all odds and evidence contrary to the promise God has given Abraham had become so close to God - so familiar or exposed to God and His faithfulness - that he was able and willing to trust God wvwn in the most extreme circumstances. . .

FAITH - a confidence in God that affords one to stand on the Word of God and promises of God expecting them to manifest and come to pass - no matter what the situation or circumstances might be. . .

B)

• 2 months later...

I believe our faith is based upon how we see God and how He sees us. Whether we are babes in Christ, or have been walking with Him for years, sometimes we can have a distorted view of God (and ourselves) based on our problems and circumstances. The Word teaches us about the character of God, His promises, and His intentions toward us. Taking time to study what the Word says about these things, remembering what God has done in the past, whether in our own lives or someone else's, or even those in biblical times, helps to build our faith and confidence in God.

My definition of faith: The ability to lift our eyes and minds up to the one who knows about our problems and fears. Believing God inspite of what we see or don't see.

• 3 months later...

Answer:

1. Which part of faith is related to (1) the depth of Abraham's confidence in God? Which part of faith is related to (2) the real existence and power of such a God?

The part of Faith related to depth of Abraham confidence in God is TRUST AND OBEY

• 2 months later...

I accepted Christ's free gift of salvation by faith-the Holy Spirit came into me, and gave me the ability to believe that God is Who He says He is-the word of God cemented that belief. I know that God is real, and that He sent His Son to die for my sins-the sins of the whole world! I have had prayers answered-I have received miracles ( or what I believe are miracles) and I have witnessed others having received the same. I have been told that I rely too much on God, and that I need to work some things out for myself-I tried that, and my life was a disaster! That is why I rely on God! He fixed everything for me, and I love Him and trust Him with all my heart!

• 4 months later...

The part of faith to the depth is he knwe God was trustworthy. The real existence is that He is faithful. A faith that lacks either is not a very strong faith. In verse 11, Sarah believed God. She had faith in Him. She knew that God would do what He said. She knew in her heart. To me that is what faith is. Knowing in my hert that God will do what He says, knowing He is a true and faithful God. No matter what anyone says or what the circumstance may be. But knowing that I know God's Word, that I am His child, and he hears my cry, He is faithful to His promises. He is a loving and caring Father.

• 7 months later...

Abraham considered God as faithful. He believed and trusted that God would do what He said He would do. He left his home on the calling of God without knowing where he was going or what was going to be come of him; he followed the voice of God and trusted Him. What we think about God had a lot to do with our faith. We have to believe that He is trustworthy and a rewarder. If there is no belief that God exists, that He is faithful and a rewarder of great faith as shown in the Old Testament then that is considered weak faith or no faith at all. A definition of faith in this sense is trusting and knowing that what God said He will do, He will do and we are most certain of it.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

The part of Abraham's faith that is related to the depth of that faith is that he believed God and by this faith it was considered as righteousness.

The part of faith that related to the real existence of God was the fulfilling of the promise that Abraham would have an offspring by Sarah in their old age and their descendants would be as the stars of heaven.

Faith that lacks the elements of belief and that God rewards those who seek him is not a faith at all. They may have heard of a God but refuse to change their life style or give up their worldly desires.

Faith to me is that God does exist, because of his handiwork in creation. I know God the Father has provided a means by which we can approach him through his Son Jesus. On this belief I put my whole personality on God, in complete trust and confidence, assurance and confirmation on and in him.  

• 2 years later...

The part of faith that Abraham had was trust in God to do the impossible by man's standard.  he knew that him and Sara were beyond human time to bare children, but trusted in God to do what he promised him he would do. he waited on God to fulfill the promise of a child. It is the belief in the power and existence of such a God that Abraham had and acted on and followed. He saw the proof of such a God, the evidence of such a God , in the birth of the son that God promised he would have.  A faith that lacks either of these is not a faith.  Faith is trust and belief in something that may not be seen but there is evidence that it does exist.  In order to receive that evidence you must believe and trust that it is.

Edited by Paula Price
word

• 2 years later...

4. (Hebrews 11:11). Which part of faith is related to (1) the depth of Abraham's confidence in God? Which part of faith is related to (2) the real existence and power of such a God? How would you describe a faith that lacks either element? Based on verse 11 (not on verses 1-2), formulate in your own words a definition of faith.

Abraham's faith in God came from the fact that He could trust in God's promises and covenant to Him no matter what knowing that God would not fail Him.  It is the part of his faith that experienced God showing Him what He would do for Abraham and his wife and how He would come through and give them what they were longing for. I would consider it doubting God and His love for you. Faith is the ability to believe in God through the power of God Himself enacting it.

• 5 months later...
On 4/18/2007 at 5:21 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Obedience.

Salvation.

Ineffective. Faith results in our salvation and in evidence (works) that our salvation is real.

Saving faith involves our faith in the character, existence, and power of God. Resulting in salvation and evidence of God's supernatural work in and through us.