JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. A New City and Country

Abraham's faith-quest encourages me because he trusted God no matter what the cost. Abraham trusted God's even though the odds looked dim and the path looked narrow with no prospect, no light at the end of the tunnel in sight, Abraham stilled trusted and put his faith in God not man wisdom and knowledge but in God only.

The final city will be the holy city of God that holy city Jerusalem. We will be citizens of that Kingdom of God (Heaven).

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Hebrews 11:8-19) Abraham was on a faith-quest, looking for a city (verse 10) and a country (verses 14-16). How does his faith-journey encourage yours?

I too have a promise of a home in this land, before I go to the new land in Heaven. My journey has been like Abraham's...the promise given, then the leaving the home we had and all that was familiar, to sojourn in the wilderness of homelessness and apartments for 17 years, where we've been tested, tried, sick, husband blind, unemployed with loss of business, employers going out of business, falsely accused, etc. I prayed as a new Christian who admired Abraham's faith, for the Lord to work in my life as He did in Abraham's....and He has, to my regret at times! Abraham is where I look when I get discouraged and weary...his faith reminds me to trust, no matter how long the trial drags on. God is faithful and as He was to Abraham, so He will be to me. I love Abraham and can't wait to meet him in Heaven, but first I'm looking forward to the promised land here and the home God promised in 1988, which others have inhabited for 17 years.

In Scriptural typology, what is the final "city" which we shall see?

The New Heavenly Jerusalem.

(12:22) What is the final country of which we are citizens? (12:28)

Heaven, the Heavenly Country.

• 1 month later...
Q1. (Hebrews 11:8-19) Abraham was on a faith-quest, looking for a city (verse 10) and a country (verses 14-16). How does his faith-journey encourage yours? In Scriptural typology, what is the final "city" which we shall see? (12:22) What is the final country of which we are citizens? (12:28)

Q1. (Hebrews 11:8-19) Abraham was on a faith-quest, looking for a city (verse 10) and a country (verses 14-16). How does his faith-journey encourage yours?

Abraham's faith-journey encourages me in that it makes me conscious even more that this World is not our home. We are living in this world but we know this world is not our true home. We pray and listen to God's leading as He leads us to this real home just as God did for Abraham. There will be trials and hardships along the way as we travel the road to our true home but just as with Abraham, I ask God to keep my faith in His promise strong.

In Scriptural typology, what is the final "city" which we shall see?

The final "city" we shall see is heaven (the place where God lives).

(12:22) What is the final country of which we are citizens? (12:28)

The final country is also heaven or the place where we shall live forever with joy as we are with Our Heaven Father. :P

• 6 months later...

Abraham's faith journey is encouraging to me as I remain faithful to God even when I can't see the end result. I remember the kind of faith Abraham had in God and it encourages me to maintain the faith that I have no matter what the trial may be for I know I have a God who is faithful. It helps me to stay heavenly minded and to resist the ways of the world because I'm just a traveler passing through and on my way to my heavenly country.

The final city that we will see is The Holy City of God.

Our Heavenly Kingdom.

• 3 months later...

Q1. (Hebrews 11:8-19)

Abraham was on a faith-quest, looking for a city (verse 10) and a country (verses 14-16).

How does his faith-journey encourage yours?

In Scriptural typology, what is the final "city" which we shall see? (12:22)

What is the final country of which we are citizens? (12:28)

We know all God

• 1 month later...
Q1. (Hebrews 11:8-19) Abraham was on a faith-quest, looking for a city (verse 10) and a country (verses 14-16). How does his faith-journey encourage yours? In Scriptural typology, what is the final "city" which we shall see? (12:22) What is the final country of which we are citizens? (12:28)

Abraham was a man - just like us. He failed sometimes but yet he had a seed of faith and obeyed God with the faith he had. This is a great encouragement to us today.

God revealed Himself in a limited way to different people in the Old Testament. We have fewer excuses for disobedience as we have the complete revelation of God from Genesis to Revelation and we also have God the Holy Spirit living and abiding with us to give us the strength and faith to obey. Abraham had none of these advantages ...

As followers of Jesus Christ ... We are all on a journey to a city - to be in the presence of Jesus our Saviour will be incredibly rewarding.

Heaven is real and it is waiting NOW ... but we don't get there until we leave this mortal life and enter eternity WOW !

• 1 month later...

It is not just Abraham but all the other chosen leaders by God of the bible as well that help me in my walk with Christ. When I read of how each of them had their faith, how they did what was asked of them, they just kept reaching forward without delay or question. It makes it a little easier to take that walk knowing that there were others that stepped out before me. I believe that the final city is the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God. The final country will be the Heavenly Kingdom.

• 7 months later...

Abraham's truth-journey encourages me to continue trusting in God's promise of a much better place than this world to live eternally. . . Abraham's attitude helps me to not get caught-up in this world that I miss what God has offered me in the next world. . . We can enjoy the best this world has to offer - but not become so immersed in it that we forget where our real or true citizenship lays. . .

That "HOLY CITY" the "NEW JERUSALEM". . . Revelation 21:1-4 (NKJV)

1 Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea.

2 Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

3 And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God.

4 And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."

B)

• 5 months later...

Answer:

1. Abraham was on a faith-quest, looking for a city (verse 10) and a country (verses 14-16). How does his faith-journey encourage yours?

Hebrews 11:10-For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

Abraham depends on the promise of God.He did not look at His physical capability,and ability to gain what God has promised,rather he put His FAITH and TRUST in the WORD of GOD,expecting it to passed.

His Faith Journey has encourage me to be more dependent and obedient to the WORD of God,and to live and die with it.In my case I am always wanting a result for my prayers,sometimes as if I am bending the hands of God to grant my prayers

• 2 months later...

I'm looking for and waiting for the same thing that Abraham was looking and waiting for. And so it goes.

New Jerusalem

Kingdom of God

• 2 months later...

1) Abraham faith-journey encourages mine to continue to trust and believe God. Sometimes I get discouraged because I feel that God is not moving fast enough, but I need to understand that I won't always see what God has in store for me. I just need to have the faith that He is working on my behalf.

2) The final city is Heavenly Jerusalem.

3) The final country is the Kingdom that cannot be destroyed.

1.The faith-journey en courage mine in the point of being Obedient

The final city which we shallsee =

• 1 month later...

Abraham's faith journey encourages me because I have to realize that I am only traveling through this world on my way to our true home in heaven. It encourages me because I know I am going to have a much better place to spend eternity. The final city we shall see will be the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem. and the final country will be the kingdom of God.

• 7 months later...

Thinking about it, Abraham was a nomad, traveling from place to place, living in tents. To me this shows that he was not connected to earthly things. He had a promise, a vision of from God of something better. Therefore, he never lost the vision God had given him of a better place. It can be difficult to let go of earthly things when that is all you know. Some of us Christians do not get such a vision early in life it may come to us later. Though this is the case, we all have to come to the realization that we do not live here, the world is not our home, and we cannot stay here forever. We must return from whence we came, back to heaven with our heavenly father. The final city and country is the City of God, known as the Heavenly Jerusalem where our new Father and citizenship is and our Spirits long.

• 1 year later...

Abraham was not able to see the city or country that he was looking for but he still had faith that in the end God would provide. That helps me in that I don’t see the end but I know that the end is there and everything is going to be just great.

The final city that we shall see is Heaven. And the final country will be Heaven.

• 2 years later...

Abraham's journey looking for a city and a country encourages our faith journey because though we live in this world we look forward to the great city God has prepared for us in the country of Heaven.

The final city we see is Mt. Zion, the city of the living God, Heavenly Jerusalem, that will come down from heaven and God will dwell there with us.

The final country we will be citizens of is the Kingdom of Heaven.

• 2 years later...

The story of Abraham encourages me to continue in the Faith that will lead me to the land which God has promised all who are faithful to Him and who follow is word and his commandments and do His will.  It is only promised to His children.  Abraham's physical journey from land to land was just the example of faith in God to show us what is in store for those who trust and obey.  Where he leads me I will follow.  The destination is not here on earth but the place in heaven,  the Holy City, that is prepared for us. God chose men in the old testament and a people , to teach them what would be required of them to obtain this place with Him and then to show the rest of those who followed, the way.  The final city, the final place is with Jesus around the throne of God, when he returns for us, in heaven or where ever they will be!!  O when the Saints of God get together and they all go marching in!  I want to be in that number, when the Saints go marching in.  If we live right, pray right, love right, treat each other right, heaven belongs to Us.. He promised us a place in heaven, with Him. He went there to prepare a place for us, that where he is, we may be also.  Mount Zion,  the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem,  the Kingdom!

• 2 years later...

It encourages me to keep looking towards the future and not the past and also to keep trusting the Lord when things are unknown. The final city we shall see is Heaven with all of its gates and walls and streets of gold. The final country is Mt Zion. 

• 5 months later...
On 4/18/2007 at 5:23 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Reminds me this country/city/world is not my home. Especially comforting in this season of my country's existence.

New Jerusalem, where Jesus is preparing me a home. 

Heaven!

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q1. A New City and Country