JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Aliens and Strangers

Q2. (Hebrews 11:13b) In practical terms, what would be the characteristics of a believer who lived his life as an "alien" and "stranger" here on earth? What is the balance between "in" the world but not "of" it? (John 15:19; 17:13-16; 1 John 4:4-6).

The characteristics of a believer whose his life is as an alien or stranger, would be one where the act of sinning or doing any sin, though it may enter into his mind, he would never do it knowing the price that Jesus paid for sin and that sin would take him farther away from God; he would never do it.

Because we are in the world but not of this world, the world hates us. Even though the world hates us, Jesus prays for us to the Father, we have the joy of Jesus; we know where we are going. We have Jesus inside of us. With Jesus inside of us, we know the spirit of truth.

• 3 months later...
Q2. (Hebrews 11:13b) In practical terms, what would be the characteristics of a believer who lived his life as an "alien" and "stranger" here on earth? What is the balance between "in" the world but not "of" it? (John 15:19; 17:13-16; 1 John 4:4-6).

The characteristics of a believer in practial terms who life his/her life as an "alien" means that their true home is in heaven, while they are satying here on earth for a time like this.

The balance between "in" the world but not "of" it is listening to the Spirit of God's voice in your spirit.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This world is not a Christian home. Our home is with Jesus, Heaven. We are in the world but we are not part of the world. A Christian knows that this is just a passing moment a traveler traveling through to get to his or her destination. A Christian appearance, character, and behavior can't be compare to the world system. A Christian hope, faith and destiny relies on a kingdom that is not of this world but his of God.

Yes we Christian live in this world but we are not of this world, however we are the salt of the earth that helps purge and savour, we are a shinning light in a dark place, we have instilled in us a hope that the world can't give nor understand.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Hebrews 11:13b) In practical terms, what would be the characteristics of a believer who lived his life as an "alien" and "stranger" here on earth?

One who lived in faith, obeying what the Lord showed "him" to do here on earth, and that which is necessary to care for family and for living here, but with "emotional, spriritual bags" packed knowing that life here is a short sojourn, and that our treasure is in Heaven. Our life here is preparation for the eternal life in our new Heavenly home.

What is the balance between "in" the world but not "of" it? (John 15:19; 17:13-16; 1 John 4:4-6).

Living "in" the world, we all have to do...that's the daily life of loving, living, child rearing, working, eating, sleeping, caring for others, etc. But the "NOT OF IT", is living with our eyes fixed on the new life we have to look forward to in Heaven: We do not belong to this world and its' system, for we have God living in us and as God's children, we recognize that our true citizenship is in Heaven. Typically, we do not "fit in" here, as we live by a different system...that of Truth and righteousness in a state of forgiveness...toward others and forgiven by God.

• 7 months later...

The characteristics of one awaiting the return of Christ with extreme joy while busy being about our Father's business of bringing in the lost in order for God to draw all men unto Him which God has commissioned us for the building of His Kingdom.

The balance is that we live in the world but we are not part of the ways of the world. We are strangers, non- citizens in a foreign country. The world is contrary to God; we are not partakers of worldly principles, practices, or ideals, but instead we are partakers with Christ of His principles. :D

• 3 months later...

Q2. (Hebrews 11:13b)

In practical terms, what would be the characteristics of a believer who lived his life as an "alien" and "stranger" here on earth?

What is the balance between "in" the world but not "of" it? (John 15:19; 17:13-16; 1 John 4:4-6).

A believer regards him/her as a foreigner. Since this world is not our home we are not to become too attached to earthly desires and possessions. As pilgrims we are travelling through this world to our eternal home

• 2 months later...

It would be one who lived or lives their life in faith and perhaps never receiving what one was seeking but staying true to their faith. One would not let oneself get caught up in the worldly wants and worries of the world, not saying one should not know what is going on or care, but not to worry in the way thinking one can change it, but knowing that God sees all and knows all and is in control. We have no chose but to live in the world it is around us all, but we are in Gods care and He protects us since we belong to Him, because " HE WHO IS IN YOU IS GREATER THEN THE ONE WHO IS IN THE WORLD." 1st John 4- 4 . so keep God up front and the world behind you let the Lord lead you and you can live a good life on this earth.

• 7 months later...

Being committed in our service to Christ and prepared to move on while yet being useful to Christ while residing in this world. . .

While here in the earth we must realize that we are citizens of heaven - we must live in such a way that when the time comes we can go there. . . We must understand that we are servants of Christ Jesus and while we are rewarded for our faithful service here - we cannot become so attached and influenced by these that we disqualify ourselves from the heavenly rewards. . .

Hebrews 12:1-2 (NKJV)

1 Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

John 14:1-4 (NKJV)

1 "Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.

2 In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.

4 And where I go you know, and the way you know."

B)

• 5 months later...

Answer:

1.In practical terms, what would be the characteristics of a believer who lived his life as an "alien" and "stranger" here on earth?

It means that we put our Faith and Hope in God.Hold steadfast,and be overcomer.

Faith empowers you to see,what others cannot see,and therefore enables you to do what others cannot do.

Faith enables the believing soul to treat the future as present,and the invisible as seen.(J. Oswald)

Hope for the coming of the Glory which God has promised for those who believe.That our inheritance and rewards are reserve for us in Heaven,so that we must hold steadfast our Hope,..for his promise in the future.

Hebrews 6:11-And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:

Colossians 1:5-6-For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel; 6 Which is come unto you, as [it is] in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as [it doth] also in you, since the day ye heard [of it], and knew the grace of God in truth:

2. What is the balance between "in" the world but not "of" it? (John 15:19; 17:13-16; 1 John 4:4-6).

John 15:19-If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

John 17:13-16-And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves. 14I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 15I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. 16They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

1 John 4:4-6-Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 5They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. 6We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The balance is that,we should always identify ourselves,WHO WE ARE IN CHRIST,in union with Christ,living our life in obedience to the will of God as it is written in HIS WORD

• 2 months later...

The way I see all this is-this place that I live in-this house, this address-it is not my home! My home is with God Almighty! I have to be here, and as such, I try to get along, without compromising my faith and beliefs. But-in my heart I know that all this is only temporary. Some day soon, I will be in the presence of the Lord God Almighty, and He has prepared a new place for me to live. I will then be "home"! Until then, I am expected to make the best of my stay here, and do what I can to lead others to Christ by planting seeds, and giving my time and talent to further the Kingdom. We should be going about, doing our Father's business!

• 2 months later...

1) The characteristics of a believer who live his life as an "alien" and "stranger" here on earth is one that recognizes that this is not our permanent home and we are just passing through until we are called home to our final resting place.

2) The balance between "in" the world but not "of" it is that we are part of the world, we can't escape that, but we do not have to participate in things of the world that are not God like. We are to let our light shine so that others may see our good works. In other words, be an example that others may follow.

[/quote

1.The faith-journey en courage mine in the point of being Obedient

The final city which we shallsee =

• 1 month later...

I think the characteristics would be their faith in knowing that God has a better place for His children. We are looking for and longing for that heavenly home that one day will be ours. We are traveling toward that home. Regardless of what we have to go through on this earth, we are pushing forward to our eternal home. I think the balance is that as Jesus' disciples, we share his separation from and conflict with the world. Even though we live in a world of darkness, we have the light living in us, the Holy Spirit. He is the one that will help us to live and walk like Christ did. We have God's promises that we can depend on. Through the Holy Spirit we can overcome the evil of this world and we can victoriously achieve God's will for our life.

• 7 months later...

The characteristics of a believer who lives as an alien or stranger on earth is as a foreigner or pilgrim visiting for a period of time, passing through a place that is not a permanent place of residence. Not becoming accustomed to one’s surroundings, we have to practice not being a part of the world that we temporarily live in. With God’s power and the thought of a great inheritance in our heavenly home helps put balance and distinguish between the two.

• 1 year later...

The characteristic of a believer who lived his life as an “alien” and “stranger” here in earth is one that is always looking for his true home. He would be studying about his permanent residence and will be longing to be there. But the balance would be that we are to prosper in this life while we look for the one in the future.

• 2 years later...

In practical terms the characteristics of a believer who lived his life as an alien and stranger here on earth is basically in exile. 

The balance between "in" the world but not "of" the world is, as a believer we must live in the world with all of it's materialistic desires, but we believers know we are not of the world and do not live in it's desires, we look forward to our Heavenly Country of the Kingdom of God. We do not allow ourselves to be involved with it's worldly desires. We know we are hated by the world just as Christ was hated by the world. We belong to Christ and try to live a life worthy of his holiness.      

• 2 years later...

The characteristics of this would be seen in how the Christian live their daily lives. Not following in the practices of the world, but living according to the commandments of God and doing his will and what he has shown and ask us to do.  They are completely different then what is being done in the world or in those who live around us who are not following the word of God.  Walking holy and righteous as Christ did, showing love and compassion, helping each other and praying for each other, having a spiritual attitude at all times, regardless of the circumstance, gathering and worshipping and studying the word.  We are aliens and strangers here because we are not adapting to the things of this world, but waiting and anticipating the things of God to come which He has promised.  The balance of being in the world, but not of the world is  Jesus.  When we became Christians, we live in Christ and belong to him and he is not of this world therefor neither are we.  He has chosen us to show the world how to live and how to be one with God.  this world is not our home, but it is with him.  So we are not of this world but now we live in Him. 
We live to do his will and to follow in his steps.  He has separated us from the world.  We walk in the newness of Him. He has called us out of the darkness into the marvelous light. Jesus is the light. We live in Him and He in us.  John 15:19 , 17:13-16, 1John 4:4-6,  these verses tells us who we are and who we belong to and where we live. 

• 2 years later...

The believer who lives that way is basically fully devoted to the Lord and His desires for them and also sold out to the Lord that nothing can sway them from what the Lord wants for them. The balance is someone who is a believer and does not desire the things of the world but still cares of the Lord. 

• 5 months later...
On 4/18/2007 at 5:24 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Holding possessions, positions loved ones w/an open hand. Looking to God for provision, protection, and for making all things right that are lacking in this life.

Faithful to serve, love those God puts in our path here, but looking for contentment based on our home in heaven, not this one.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q2. Aliens and Strangers