JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Discipline and Training

Q2. (Hebrews 12:5-11) How does it help when you to look at your struggles and hardships as the Father's discipline and training? What are the benefits of such discipline to the Christian?

It helps me to know and understand that in Hebrew 12:6,7, "The Lord disciplines those He loves and He punishes everyone He accepts as a son/daughter. To endure hardship as discipline; God is treating me as his child." To me this the the love of my Father in heaven, and He is building chacter in me.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (Hebrews 12:5-11) How does it help when you to look at your struggles and hardships as the Father's discipline and training?

I think seeing that there is a purpose behind the struggles and hardships we face can help us see their value. If our trials are just random then we miss any thought of benefit.

To know that they are allowed/given out of love (6 )

It should help us not lose heart (5)

To know that God doesn

• 3 months later...

Struggles and hardships helps me to become dependent on God and no one else or things. Struggles and hardships forces me to trust God sovereigns ways. Struggles and hardships discipline me to his commands, it molds me and stretches me to his plan and purpose for my life. Yes, the struggles and hardships are very painful and hard to endure but without it I can never grow and become strong in God.

The benefits of struggles and hardships are:

* I will become stronger

* I will be more faithful

* I will be more patient

* I will be more trustworthy

* I will become more loving and understanding and compassionate to others

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Hebrews 12:5-11) How does it help when you to look at your struggles and hardships as the Father's discipline and training?

It reminds me that I am His beloved child, whom He loves enough to correct, train, discipline, and develop His character in me. In that light, it removes the victim mentality, and helps me to run to Him instead of sulking or pouting in self pity.

What are the benefits of such discipline to the Christian?

Stability, strength of character, patience, self control...(all the fruit of the Spirit) moral fiber, more godliness and desire to resist sin and temptation, closer walk with the Lord, endurance, reassurance of daughter/sonship and His love, fresh awareness of His interest in the details of my life.

• 1 month later...

It is possible to find joy in trials if we use them to draw us closer to the Lord. The attitude that God can use everything to His glory if we only strive to serve Him can help us see struggles as a time to grow in the Lord.

This discipline can lead us to serve Him and only by serving Him will we know true peace and joy :P.

• 6 months later...

When I have storms in my life and I look at them as my Father's discipline and training, I can stay rooted and grounded in Jesus knowing that it is for my benefit.

When God disciplines us, it is for our service to Him that He is refining us. He cannot use us if we are full of junk. He has to break us for use. He has to sift us for service before he can use us effectively.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (Hebrews 12:5-11)

How does it help when you to look at your struggles and hardships as the Father's discipline and training?

I think nothing happens by chance to us as Christians. When we experience persecution, testing, sickness, pain, sorrow or trouble - we should look upon them as blessings in disguise. These do not come from God; He allows them, and then overrules them for His glory, or for our good, or even for the blessing of others. We know He is allowing these adverse circumstances of life to conform us to the image of Christ. It is perhaps a thought that we might not be one of His children if we are not chastised

• 2 months later...
Q2. (Hebrews 12:5-11) How does it help when you to look at your struggles and hardships as the Father's discipline and training? What are the benefits of such discipline to the Christian?

I look at my struggles and hardships with a sense of peace since my Heavenly Father has heard my cries. To know that He ha accepted me because I surrendered to Him, He was slow in my time to answer but I believed He would and He has. My struggles and hardships are really nothing compared to what Jesus went thru but He has changed me in my thought process, my actions my words. When one is disciplined one grows and becomes a better person, one looks beyond what one can see and focuses on the Lord. When one acts according to their growth with the Lord thru being disciplined, it helps others who are weak or who may be questioning the Lord, they see your strength, peace, love, understanding and they want that too! You get to stand upright and enjoy all that is around you these are just some of the benefits you receive. God is awesome! :rolleyes:

• 7 months later...

As the author said when we are being chastened by the Lord, it doesn't feel good - there is no joy in it - however, I must also agree that the results are positive. . . It would be so very nice if we could get those results without the chastening process - but I like King David realize that if the Lord does not chasten me to develop discipline in my life - I could not - and would not - do what is necessary to develop the quality of discipline necessary to live for God and glorify Him. . . I accept and agree that whatever God allows to come into my life as a form of chastening or discipline building - it doesn't feel good and I really don't enjoy it - but it does bring about positive changes in my life. . . THANK YOU LORD. . . .

Chastening for the Christian believer develops a discipline in our lives that improves the qualities and charateristics that are necessary to please God, live an obedient life that makes our service to God effective and also have such a witness that draws other to Christ as well. . . When God chastens us the results are positive mentally and spiritually. . .

B)

• 2 months later...

As I pondered this question, I thought about the souls of the Christians who were killed because of their faith as mentioned in Revelation 6:10-11: "...How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?" Then each of them was given a white robe and told to wait a little longer..."

Also Romans 8:36: "...For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered."

But we are encouraged in 1 Corinthians 15:57-58: "But thanks be God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."

Understanding that Jesus knows what we're going through (our great High Priest); we are not alone in our christian walk; our struggles are not only for us but to encourage others, and to bring glory and honor to God.

• 3 months later...

Answer:

The struggles..the hardship Part in my Christian Life are the transformation from Natural to Spiritual.

From Letting the Holy Spirit,dominates my inner soulish part..as we are so accustomed with our Natural carnal man ways.

The Struggle is transformation from seeing in Spiritual way,then seeing in physical means..TO LIVE BY FAITH AND NOT BY SIGHT( COR 5:7).

And when I am in my Natural self,it is only that I make mistakes,and goes out of the Will of God

• 2 months later...

I understand all this from being a child with both parents! When I misbehaved, I got spanked! Hard! But, I understand that my parents were trying to teach me things, and behaviors that are appropriate for "right" living. Obeying the rules meant that I would be able to enjoy the "benefits that good children experience from time to time. With God, obedience means that I will enjoy being in His presence, and being a daughter of the Living God! Oh, I can't wait!

• 3 months later...

1) It helps when you look at your struggles and hardships as the Father's discipline and training because it shows his love for us. He prepares us to live and conduct ourselves as sons and daughters of the Most High God.

2) The benefits of such discipline to the Christians is a) eternal life B) experience of sharing His Holiness c) a peaceful harvest of righteousness

• 4 weeks later...

When I look at my struggles and hardships, I can see that God is molding me into a vessel that can be used for His kingdom. He is making me strong in my faith, maturing me. I think the benefits are eternal life, peace,sharing His holiness, becoming like Christ.

• 7 months later...

It helps to know that 1) God loves those He disciplines 2) it keeps us from becoming spoiled spiritual brats; 3) if we are not disciplined then we are not true children of His; and 4) we are disciplined by our earthly parents. God’s discipline produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those of us who were trained by and endure through it. It helps build our spiritual character; gives us eternal life, and allows us to share in His holiness.

• 1 year later...

I find it very hard to look at my struggles and hardships as the Father’s discipline and training. I know that a lot of things that is done are because of some of my choices. Now I don’t know if that is the Father training me or just suffering the consequences of my choice. But anyway you look at it; it is still training us to make the right choice the next time.

• 1 year later...

This is such a hard question because I don't believe that all of our struggles and hardships are God's discipline and training. It's difficult to know what is God's discipline and what is just part of living in this world. Asking God doesn't always reveal an answer, and this leaves me frustrated wondering if somehow I have brought on the struggles and hardships. After careful examination, I sometimes conclude it IS discipline but many other times I don't see God in the situation at all so I cannot see these difficulties as training. Can sickness ever be considered God's training? If I were to look at my struggles and difficulties as God's training, there would be many times that I would be left frustrated and angry with God because I'd wrongly question His parenting methods. I have been in that boat and that boat almost sank...trying to understand a situation as God's discipline. Unfortunately we live in a sinful world, and many of our situations are just the result of living in this world...life happens...but if we persevere, then we are trained by God and character develops.

• 11 months later...

Some struggles and hardships I know are from God, for discipline and training, other struggles I create myself instead of being patient and waiting on the Lord.

The benefits of discipline to Christians is to help them in struggles, when we are disciplined we become a little more sactified moving closer to eternal life and a life of peace.  

• 2 years later...

When we accept Christ as our Lord and Savior, we become the children of God. He is our father and we are to do his will in our lives in order to be with him in eternity.  He expects us to walk holy and righteous, to live our lives to show others the way to him.  Our struggles and hardships are a test to help us discover perseverance and character, and to teach us to call on the father for guidance and hope and help and assurance.  Jesus is the example that he gave us to live by. He showed us how to overcome hardships and struggles. He was not exempt from them.  He gave us the road map, the way to overcome.  Jesus is the way, the road map. He overcame hardships and struggles through constant prayer and communion with the Father. He left us the Word to follow in his footsteps. God wants us to depend on him for our every need and care.  When we call on his name in times of troubles, he promised to hear us and to help us.  We are being trained to trust and obey and how are we to do that if we do not go through troubles and hardships?  And, to add another log to the fire, the devil is busy nipping at us constantly, to see how committed we are to doing the will of the father. When we are weak, and call on Him, his power is made perfect and we become strong.  What other way can we convince the world and to show them the greatness of our God?  Though our hardships and struggles  we are able to demonstrate the presence and power of God in our lives.  I like to think of them not as punishments but as opportunities to let His glory shine!  The benefits are eternal life with Him and his glory being revealed through us to the sinner who needs to see him working in us so that he might also believe and be save.  Everything we do and say and  how we live and act....it all belongs to God, it  is for his glory,  that is why we were created, to praise and worship and glorify Him!!! 

• 2 years later...

When I look at my struggles and hardships from the Lord's perspective and not mine and see how He is using them to discipline me and train me for righteousness I can't help but be thankful to the Lord. The biggest benefit is we will become more like Christ and His love and light will shine through us because we chose to let Him work on us and through us.

• 5 months later...
On 4/18/2007 at 5:37 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Offers a light at the end of the tunnel. Our hardship has a reason, and ends up benefiting us. It also will have an end.

Peaceable fruit of righteousness, share on God's holiness, prepare us for heaven.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q2. Discipline and Training