JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. God's Punishment and Discipline

God does punish us at times with consequences as a result of our sins, but He will make you recognize it for what it is.

Just as a parent disciplines a child for disobedience or wrong doing, so does the Lord chastens us because He loves us and wants us to become obedient so He can use us for His service.

The purpose of God's discipline is to teach us to obey the will of our Father and to grow in maturity as obedient children.

• 2 months later...

Q3. (Hebrews 12:5-7)

I've sometimes heard, "God never punishes anyone." Is that true according to these verses?

If so, how does punishment fit into the larger overall concept of discipline and child-rearing?

What is the purpose of God's discipline?

It is when we read Proverbs 3:11-12 that we realize God

• 2 months later...

Q3. (Hebrews 12:5-7) I've sometimes heard, "God never punishes anyone." Is that true according to these verses? If so, how does punishment fit into the larger overall concept of discipline and child-rearing? What is the purpose of God's discipline?

According to these verses God does punish.God punished the Isrealites on a regular basis,as well as those other nations or tribes who did not listen to Him, it`s all thru the Old Testament. I believe since Jesus came and died for our sins our punishment will be on judgement day. I believe that the trials and whatever fall upon us are because of our own doing, oh sometimes things happen, like bad health, illness but those are not punishments from God. To show discipline to your children you usually have a punishment to follow. We who follow the Lord are under His discipline, "training that developes self control, character." Those who choose not to get under Gods discipline will be punished at the end. Gods discipline is to bring us into harmony with each other, you know peace patient understanding To love one and other, foe included. God has given us that chose to listen and follow Him, or suffer the consequences. I do not believe that when bad times fall upon me that it is a punishment from God, but He uses those times to draw me closer to Him, to teach me. One must be still and listen. B)

• 7 months later...

NO, that is not true - there are times when "punishment" is a necessary ingredient in the process of correction. . . I believe that every object or event that God uses to "CHASTEN" us is intended to correct us and make us better, however, I also believe that punishment is sometimes necessary in this process. . .

The purpose of God's discipine is to correct us - to make us stronger, wiser, and much better - it is to make us more effective and successful in our service to Him. . .

John 15:1-8 (NKJV)

1 "I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser.

2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit.

3 You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you.

4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.

5 I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.

6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.

7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.

8 By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.

B)

• 2 months later...

"...because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son." Heb. 12:6

God punishes us, but not every hardship is a punishment.

Punishment is a consequence of wrong behavior. There's no real teaching about what the person did wrong and how to avoid it in the future. However, discipline is a process. As Pastor Wilson said, we don't develop personal holiness overnight. We make mistakes, we learn from them (hopefully) and try our best to keep from doing it again.

I believe God brings situations back into our lives repeatedly, and at times in different form or fashion, to test our faith. He wants us to develop character and to get stronger each time it comes our way. B)

• 3 months later...

Q3. (Hebrews 12:5-7) I've sometimes heard, "God never punishes anyone." Is that true according to these verses? If so, how does punishment fit into the larger overall concept of discipline and child-rearing? What is the purpose of God's discipline?

Answer:

Hebrews 12:5-7-And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: 6For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. 7If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?

Exhortation- G3874 παράκλησις paraklesis (par-ak'-lay-sis) n.

1. an imploration, entreaty (urgent request (for mercy or help))

2. an exhortation (urgent counsel, encouragement, or caution)

3. a comfort, solace

Chastening-G3809 παιδεία paideia (pai-dei'-ah) n.

1. tutorage, i.e. education or training

2. (by implication) disciplinary correction

[from G3811]

KJV: chastening, chastisement, instruction, nurture

Root(s): G3811

Rebuked-G1651 ἐλέγχω elegcho (el-eng'-kho) v.

1. to confute, admonish

[of uncertain affinity]

KJV: convict, convince, tell a fault, rebuke, reproved.

There are three Words that relates to the Word

• 2 months later...

It is not punishment. Sometimes we get ourselves into trouble-make stupid choices, and God lets us wallow. But, He is merciful, and just wants us to learn from our mistakes. God wants us to mature as Christians. We must "grow up"-therefore we have to endure hard times.

• 3 months later...

1) No, God never punishes anyone according to these verses.

2) God is disciplining us not punishing us. Same way a parent discipline a child. This is the way for child-rearing to show your child right from wrong.

2) The purpose for God's discipline is for our training to be his sons. It also shows his love for us.

• 3 weeks later...

No, God will not punish his children. Yes, He will chasten His children because He loves us. God allows us to go through trials and hardships and troubles because it is a sign that we are children of God, they are an assurance of God's love and concern for us. I think the Lord's discipline for us is that we might not be finally condemned with the world and that we might share God's holiness and continue to live sanctified lives without which we wil never see the Lord. Under God's will, adversity may come as a result of our spiritual warfare with Satan, as a test to strengtdhen our faith and our works, or as a preparation for us to comfort others and to manifest the life of Christ. In all kinds of adversity we must seek God, examine our lives and forsake all that is contary to His holiness. God can turn a wide variety of trials and difficulties to our good, training us in righteousness and holy character.

• 1 month later...

No, God will not punish his children. Yes, He will chasten His children because He loves us. God allows us to go through trials and hardships and troubles because it is a sign that we are children of God, they are an assurance of God's love and concern for us. I think the Lord's discipline for us is that we might not be finally condemned with the world and that we might share God's holiness and continue to live sanctified lives without which we wil never see the Lord. Under God's will, adversity may come as a result of our spiritual warfare with Satan, as a test to strengtdhen our faith and our works, or as a preparation for us to comfort others and to manifest the life of Christ. In all kinds of adversity we must seek God, examine our lives and forsake all that is contary to His holiness. God can turn a wide variety of trials and difficulties to our good, training us in righteousness and holy character.

• 6 months later...

I believe that God does punish or discipline those whom He loves and calls His just as our earthly parents would. The only difference is we can physically see our earthly parents and God we can’t because He is a spirit and He has the final word (even over our earthly parents). It doesn’t matter if we use the word punishment or discipline, they both have the same purpose and both is a means of chastising. I think that anytime our parents don’t allow us to have our own way and chastise us, it is painful and it’s to train and make us better people to get along in the world. When God chastises us it has the same purpose but for a much higher purpose, to make us better spiritually and to shape us into the character of His Son Jesus. God’s chastisement changes us into a heavenly Kingdom mindset, helps us to overcome a sinful nature and worldly life that we are accustomed too by our earthly birth and rearing. God has to discipline us so that He can mold and shape us into vessels that He can use for His purposes. He has to get us back to where we should originally be before the fall of man.

• 1 year later...

It is not true that “God never punishes anyone”. Punishment fits into the larger overall concept of discipline and child-rearing by letting us do what we think is right and then letting us suffer the consequences. When we suffer the consequences then we can learn from that.

But we are faced with difficult situations sometimes and maybe not of our own that we need to lean on Jesus but then again if we make the wrong choice then we will suffer the consequences.

The purpose of God’s discipline is to correct our ways so that we will be able to enter the Kingdom of God.

• 2 years later...

The phrase "God never punishes anyone" is false according to Hebrews 12:5-7.  "For whom the Lord loves he chastens". He chastens us as an earthly father deals with us.

The punishment or discipline that the Lord gives us is because he loves us and everyone he disciplines he calls sons and for this we can share his holiness. As earthly parents disciple their children they love, so the Lord disciplines us also.

Of course the Lords discipline is to correct our ways and bring us closer to him. 

• 2 years later...

These scriptures state that we are punished when we disobey God but we are not to get discouraged to the point of quitting the fight against sin. Instead we are to be strengthen by his discipline so that we can become holy and righteous as He is. God knows that we will sometimes become weak and tempted to sin, and like everything there is a consequence to our actions.  He disciplines us to make us stronger and to help us build character and to prove that He is our God and will not allow us to become lost, if we just depend on him and trust him to see us through. God knows the enemy we fight against!  He also knows the heart of each of His children.  He loves us so He does what is necessary  when we fall short to keep us from repeating our mistakes. He is a just and forgiving Father. He wants us to grow in Him according to his purpose.  If he did not love us there would be no need of discipline.  because He does he will supply everything we need in order to reach his potential of us.  We need to call on him and trust that He will answer and come to our rescue.. When we fall short we should take our discipline, repent and continue on in the work He has for us.  Jesus was perfect and needed no discipline.  He had to be in order to teach us what is expected.  He did not hesitate to pray and call on his father for strength and comfort in his hour of weakness and God never failed to supply Him.  He will do the same for us.  His discipline is to make us stronger and to help us find the peace in him that it will bring, so that we can continue to live holy and righteous lives.

• 2 years later...

No that is incorrect and untrue according to what these verses state. They state that those the Father in heaven loves He chooses also chastens or discipline as well. That means the Lord disciplines us for righteous sake. It is done out of love not out of anger. 

• 5 months later...
On 4/18/2007 at 5:38 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

No. These verses deal with hardship relating to persecution, trouble because we serve, love, and obey God. Punishment is because we disobey, God Does punish disobedience, but that is not what these verses are dealing with.

Punishment teaches sin has horrible consequences. Often, the punishment is much less severe than the

actual consequences of sin.

To make us more like Christ, and to bring peace, righteousness, into our lives,  training us for heaven.