JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Greed and Security

Q2. (Hebrews 13:5-6) How can we recognize greed in ourselves? What will be the signs? What is the antidote for greed in our lives? What would be the earmarks of a greed-free life? If not money, what should be the basis of our security for the future? What promises do you find in verses 5 and 6?

The Bible says it

• 3 months later...
Q2. (Hebrews 13:5-6) How can we recognize greed in ourselves? What will be the signs? What is the antidote for greed in our lives? What would be the earmarks of a greed-free life? If not money, what should be the basis of our security for the future? What promises do you find in verses 5 and 6?

We can recognize greed in ourselves when we start wanting more material things in live when God has supplied all of our needs but we want even moreof them. Thes signs are when you are not happy with waht you have already. Repentance is the best anitdote for greed in our lives and then turn away from that kind of greed. the earmakes of a greed-free life is to be content in everythingb that you have already. the basis of my security for my future is to store my treasure in heaven. The promises in found in verses 5-6 is "God will never leave me, nor will He never forsake me"; and "the Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid of what man do to me.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Q2. (Hebrews 13:5-6) How can we recognize greed in ourselves? What will be the signs?

It's a discontent with what we have. It manifests in envy, and jealousy over what others have that we don't. Greed for "more" becomes our focus in life, where our energy goes, what we think about more than anything else.

What is the antidote for greed in our lives?

Praying for contentment with what we have. Trusting God to provide what we need, when we need it. Focusing on The Lord, and our relationship with Him, trusting Him to develop our character, asking to be set free from the idoltry of "things".

What would be the earmarks of a greed-free life?

A contented, generous spirit, who loves God and people and uses things...not one who loves things, and uses people and tries to use God to get more than we need.

If not money, what should be the basis of our security for the future?

Money and things can disappear in an instant. I have experienced this...feeling secure in the ownership of our home, owning our own business, having money in the bank and things...then in less than a year, we had nothing but God. He is more than enough! He is eternal and has promised to meet our needs, and to never, no not ever leave us or forsake us. He is the only One who can provide security both now and in the future. He has met every need. Healed my greedy character and brought me to a place of contentment in what little I have. He is my healer, deliverer, my all. He is my security...all else is shifting sand.

What promises do you find in verses 5 and 6?

God Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. I will not, I will not, I will not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let you down, relax My hold on you! Assuredly not!

So we take comfort and are encouraged and confidently and boldly say, The Lord is my Helper; I will not be seized with alarm...I will not fear or dread or be terrified. What can man do to me?

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Hebrews 13:5-6) How can we recognize greed in ourselves? What will be the signs?

When we recognize that we are never satisfied with what we have but rather are always wanting more of money and materials things. When we are always wanting more than we need, we are being greedy.

We need to realize that God is the source of all we need and that money and material things are not a source of real security. Our own real security is trusting in God and know He will provide all we really need.

A greed-free life would a life where one would not horde things and would not be extravagant in spending money on material things. Rather, one would only want what is needed and would share with those less privileged. There would be a joy in knowing the Lord and knowing the Lord will provide what is needed.

Verses 5 and 6 assure us that God is our helper and will always watch over us. We never need to fear man or feel the need to compete with any man with material things, money or anything else.

• 9 months later...

Q2. (Hebrews 13:5-6)

How can we recognize greed in ourselves?

What will be the signs?

We can recognize the signs of greed in ourselves when having all the things we will ever need; we still have this selfish desire for much more. We find ourselves not happy and content, but living in a state of anxiety. The only antidote is to trust God to meet all our needs. We are to be content with our present situation acknowledging that God has blessed us abundantly. As Christian we are to get rid of the love of money, knowing that it leads to all kinds of evil,

• 1 month later...

how can we recognise greed and ourselves? When we examine our lives and see that we have so much and yet not satisfied ... we are driven by the advertising that tells us we are not 'with it' unless we have every product under the sun. it is also driven by our own insatiable greed for more. When we watch the TV advertising more than the programs. when we are driven by secular fashion - when last year's clothes ... and other items are no longer acceptable to us - but must be replaced with the latest fashion items. when our image becomes more important than our walk.

What is the antidote for greed in our lives? What would be the earmarks of a greed-free life?

I think it is a good idea for all of us to take mission trip overseas and visit a slum city in India or the Philippines, as I have done. This gives us a sharp reality check on just how wealthy we are in the West and how little we really need to be truly happy.

If not money, what should be the basis of our security for the future? What promises do you find in verses 5 and 6?

this as a tough question dealing with; how much am I trusting my Lord for the future? When I lost my job or endured severe illness where do I put my trust? Our trust must only be in the promises of God. this does not mean that we can sit back and do nothing but that we must do our best and trust him for the rest.

Greed is part of our fallen nature. Self-centredness is part of the problem.. we are living lives centred on self gratification.

In the West we have so much but we are never happy with what the have we cry out for more ... the problem is augmented by the pernicious advertising that surrounds us. Our garages are full of stuff so we have a garage sale to clear it out and make room for even more stuff.

Another major cause of greed is a sense of self low esteem ... we try and make ourselves feel good by buying more stuff we keep spending our money to look good to please people and we don't even like ... it's a crazy cycle.

What the is antidote for greed in our lives?

I believe the heart of the cure is to abide in Christ ... as he commands us to (John 15 vs 7) daily, moment by moment, staying close to the heart of Jesus we find in Him all our needs are met. as a child of the King we can relax in who we are knowing we are accepted by the one who matters most ... we no longer have to try and please anyone or everyone.

staying close to Jesus allows us to live a life free from the love of money ... following the principles of the discipline of Simplicity.

our future is as bright as the promises of God! And this is the basis of our security.

as already stated above -- blessings on you all from New Zealand -- Denis

• 1 month later...

When we want what we do not have and it is not needed, but we get it anyways. If we get in touch with people that are tuned into the Lord, because clearly when one is greedy one is not surrendered to the Lord then that can help brings us around.Tune into Christ, study His Word and you soon see that He is all we need. He will supply us with what we need. God will never abandon us.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Answer;

1. How can we recognize greed in ourselves?

If we are thinking only about ourselves,putting self First,among others.

2 What will be the signs? What is the antidote for greed in our lives?

Desiring,those things more than I need.Wanting to have,something that I don’t own,just because others have.

The Antidote for all of this is to find satisfaction in the Word,in His promises,and Faithfulness.Stay focus on His WORD,..is the best antidote of greed.

3. What would be the earmarks of a greed-free life?

Life with fullness of the Fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance:

If you manifest the fullness of the Fruit of the Spirit,..Greed has no part in your life.

4 If not money, what should be the basis of our security for the future?

Our security is our Lord’s Faithfulness..his Faithfulness in His promises contained in HIS WORDS.

5 What promises do you find in verses 5 and 6?

A promise of abundance,as long as you put your Faith and dependency on Jesus.Other people put much attention on How to get God’s blessing,How to pray and move God,how to do this and that,so that God will respond as what we perceive or what we want Him to be.

That is wrong.

When we accept Jesus as our Lord and Personal Saviour,The Father Give us the Holy Spirit through Jesus that will abide in us forever(John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter,that he may abide with you for ever;

Jesus,promise not to leave nor forsake us,as long as we keep our focus on Him,He will provide everything that we need.,for He has said so.(John 14:14-13- And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Therefore, we should focus on the GIVER of all spiritual blessings,JESUS CHRIST..to whom the source of all HEALINGS,DELIVERANCE,PROSPERITY AND DIVINE HEALTH.

Ephesians 1:3 -Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

• 2 months later...

For me-I can see greed in myself when I feel jealous of what someone else has. Or, I think about taking something that doesn't belong to me.

Being happy with what I have would be one mark. Not being sad because I can't buy the things that I want, because I don't have the money would be one. I am trying to get used to going to God for things that I need-that's what He wants us to do. The promise is that there is nothing to be afraid of-God will help us when we need it!

• 3 months later...

We can recognize greed in ourselves when we keep wanting more and not giving anyhthing we already have. The signs will be not helping those in need, straying from the faith, selfishness will be visible. The anidote is to be satisfied with what God has provided for us. I think the earmarks would be showing the love of God. Letting God have control of your life, having the joy of helping others in need. Our security should be the salvation we have in Jesus Chdrist. The promises I find is knowing that no matter how limited our earthly possessions may be or how trying our circumstances, we never need fear that God will desert or forsake us. the Lord is my helper, and I will not fear. That is with confidence in times of want, distress, trials, or trouble.

1) We recognize greed in ourselves when we are always wanting more.

2) The signs would be everytime we see someone with something we want it too.

3) The antidote for greed in our lives is being content with what we have.

4) The earmarks of a greed-free life is being happy for someone when they get something new and not wanting too. Being content with what you have and thanking God for it.

5) The basis of our security for the future is our trust in God and relying on the promises he made.

6) The promises in verses 5 and 6 are that God will never leave nor forsake us and He is our helper

• 7 months later...

We can recognize greed in ourselves when we start wanting more than we need, can use, or become selfish and excessive. We have to learn to be content and/or satisfied with what we have. Not money but the ever presence of God should be the source of our future security. The ever presence of God and the fact that He will never leave or forsake us is our assurance that He is always there to help us.

• 1 year later...

We can recognizer greed in ourselves when we see ourselves not will to give away things. When we keep things that we no longer need and try to sell them. Not be willing to support our churches or those that are doing things that promote Christian ideas.

I think that an earmark of a greed-free life would be to give things away and feel good about it. Our security for the future should be God. The promise is that God will never leave us or forsake us.

• 2 years later...

We can recognize greed in ourselves by the fact we always want more than we absolutely nee, whether it is money, material things or more leisure time. 

The signs of this greed is the fact we spend all our money and time on things that we totally unnecessary.

The antidote for this greed is pray that the Lord will help us to discover our priorities and spend our money and time on what is necessary for our lives and the help we can give others in need.

The ear marks of a greed free life are, we give our tithes to the Lord, give to others the we may not need or have an abundance of and doing without ourselves to help others.

It is well to save for our future upon retirement, but our security should be in the Lord our God, to provide for us instead of security in money.

The promises we find in verses 5-6 are that the Lord will never leave us or forsake us. The Lord is our helper and we should not be afraid of what man can do to us. 

• 2 years later...

We recognize greed in our lives when we desire more of things than what we actual need.  We recognize greed when we begin to desire to have what we see others have, a new car, a new dress, pocketbook, etc...  When material things become an obsession to have more of, than doing the will of the Father, then we are sinning and not walking in the word.  That is greed. The antidote for this is to pray for the father to remove this, and to read his word to become stronger and to depend upon others of the faith to help us overcome through prayer, worship and praise.  We should confess our weakness before God and pray for forgiveness and turn to the word for encouragement and strength to overcome.  He wants us to come to him and depend upon him for our every need and care.  " He will never leave us or forsake us"  when we go to him in prayer.  He is our helper, our strength, our comfort, our joy. When we go to Him in prayer, He will supply our every need.  We should know and have confidence in him to do what He said He would do!  We are to stand on the promises of verses 5 and 6! We have eternal security when we stand on the promises of God!  What can man do to us?  Our hope is not in this world but our hope is Jesus!  In Him do we have our being and for Him we live to, not ourselves.  His will be done, not mine.

• 2 years later...

2. (Hebrews 13:5-6) How can we recognize greed in ourselves? What will be the signs? What is the antidote for greed in our lives? What would be the earmarks of a greed-free life? If not money, what should be the basis of our security for the future? What promises do you find in verses 5 and 6?

We can recognize it when we start buying what we don't need, when we are no longer thankful for what we already have, when we look elsewhere for fulfillment in our lives other than God. The antidote is to be content with what you have and also to love God with all of your being. You are grateful for what you have, you buy only you need, you don't what you need, you also learn to rely on God's guidance and direction for all your decisions. I believe it would be that would be the Lord is our helper when we need Him most. 

• 5 months later...
On 4/18/2007 at 5:42 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Reliance on money more than God. Always wanting more even when needs provided.

Generosity is the antidote for greed.

Generous to giving to the Lord's work. Trusting in God as our provider.

God's promises, that He will never leave us or forsake us. His Word!

He is our helper and He will never leave us or forsake us.