JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Psalm 8

What does this psalm teach about God?

This psalm shows that God is the creator of everything in the universe and ruler of all. The thing that is so mind blowing is that he created man to be in relationship with him and rule over his creation.  This is a job we did not do well but in spite of our failure God God loved us enough to send his Son to correct our relationship with him and eventually restore creation to the greatness God first intended.

What does it teach about human beings?

This psalm teaches that God made us, in his image, as part of creation to have a relationship with him and to rule over all of his created creation. We have a responsibility to care for that creation a best we can. One day through Jesus Christ that creation will be restore to its original greatness and because of Jesus work on the cross and his defeat of death will will again have a part in the rulership of his kingdom.

What does it teach about Christ?

It teaches us that God so loves us that he sent Jesus to earth to restore that relationship with us that God so wants. Jesus defeated death and will restore all things.

What does Psalm 8 teach about our responsibilities?

We are responsible for God's creation . It is our duty to take care of creation as best we can because when it is restored we will again have a part in the ruler-ship of God's kingdom.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time I read this Psalm it just thrills me. I love going out into the garden and looking at the stars. In winter here on the island we don't get clear skies in winter, but when we do it just makes me gape in awe, just how vast it all is. That the all powerful Lord created all this and yet He is aware of me, loves me and cares about the details in my life. So much so that He sent his Son , so that i may have fellowship and an audience with him.

That Jesus not only loved us enough to come to earth, but was prepared to die for me. That although He is all powerful, the Alpha and the Omega, He was prepared to come as a humble babe, To live as a man, to die an awful death for me.  Quite mind blowing.

As to our responsibility to the earth. I for one fall short of this responsibility, and feel I can do so much better. Be more mindful of how we treat our environment. A lot to think about

• 2 months later...

1a)That God is majestic, all powerful,lhis glory is beyond the heavens. His Character to create such a beautiful world in intricate detail &His is mindful &cares for us all. 2)We are so tiny compared to Gods  vast creation. Even when were feeling weak, when we speak of God with his power we can overcome any trial /enemies.3)Jesus became human, Son of man made a little lower than the heavenly beings .Christ’s majesty is superior to all else.Everthing is placed under His feet.He will raise all that belong to Him above the Heavenly beings when He comes to reign in new earth &heaven.4)We have a responsibility to be good stewards of all animals &land, birds,flocks, fish &all that swims in waters, caring for God’s creation including us, multiplying the inhabitants..

• 2 weeks later...

What does this psalm teach about God?

The infinite greatness of God yet His tremendous love for those He has created. His love for us is so great that He has trusted us the responsibility to look after His creation – the animal kingdom.

My mind can't rapid itself around the fact that we are created “a little lower than God” (NLT). Is this what Paul is referring to in Romans 8:16-17 when he says that we are children of God & therefore heirs of God & fellow heirs with Christ? (NAS) WOW!!

• 7 months later...

It teaches how majestic God is. When I am reading the Bible and come across lines like God's majesty and his splendor, it causes me to pause. I know I can't fully fathom his majesty and splendor. I think it is beyond our comprehension, and yet the Bible also refers to His knowing me before I was created and continually points out how much He cares for me, and yet He is the creator of the world.... WOW! 

I live in an area where our skies are spectacular... NV blue! I gaze at it at night in awe and just wonder. I am in a remote, rural area and have had ample opportunity to be out in God's creation with just myself, a horse, and God. You do feel small... and realize how small we are in this world, and yet so thankful knowing that God cares for ME!

Besides God's majesty, this passage refers to God the creator. He created man... we are to worship and praise God. We are also to care for His creation. I like how Dr. Ralph pointed out that we are to care with God, and not independently from God. 

It references Christ by reminding us that Christ lowered himself to become man. Mind boggling as well! 

While going through this Psalm, the song "How Great Thou Art" keeps playing in my mind. :-)

• 2 months later...

In reading Psalms 8, to me it teaches that God is majestic and He is worthy to be praised.  God has created us in His image and has out of his grace crowned us with His glory and majesty.  It teaches also that God's glory is above the heavens, which is above the earth, and nothing can compare with that.  This Psalms also teaches that human beings are selfish and lean towards their own understanding but we have been crowned with glory and honor.  From the beginning God has designated humankind as overseers of the earth, even though God has given us that privilege it is still His creation and that we report to a higher master.  When God made humankind the overseer of the earth, it was given lightly and it shouldn't be taken lightly.  We have the responsibility to honor God because he is our heavenly Father and he cares so much for us.   

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can we put into words the greatness of GOD? i can only fathom that HE IS. HE has always been and will always be. HE is Creator. HE is Father. He is love. HE is Provider,Healer, ALL things to ALL people. All-Sufficient. HE is so much more than i can even think or imagine. HE is YAHWEH. And then to think that we could even be counted worthy of HIS attention. WOW!!

• 1 month later...

We begin this Psalm , before we even marvel at creation with marvelling at God's name, "how majestic Your name". It all begins when we sit , kneel, prostrate, before Him. It doesn't matter how weak or puny or young or helpless we are, everything changes when we start to praise, just like children. This puts our enemies in their place. It also puts us in our place as we can live out our identity as those who has put in charge, even seated us in Christ above "spiritual beings"!!!!:o

As the Psalm unfolds and we look at the sky and realise the immensity of His creation we can only gasp at the awesome God who created all this. But immediately it switches in contrast to how "small" us humans are, yet we have been put in charge:blink: This too can bring us to worship and awe.

Then we are given our awesome identity within creation. Below the angels in position in the creation as we are on Earth. Yet given honour and glory because we are now put in charge of this earthly creation. We need all of God's help to do this well and see what part we have in it, we need to ask every day for this help so we do a good job. Each one of us has a part to play. Lord forgive us for what a terrible job we often make of it and mess up your creation:( We see a glimpse in Hebrews reference to this Psalm , to how He has put this right through 'the Son of Man'

we return at the end to marvel at the awesome God who has created such a creation and put "created beings" in such a place.

The question we face is ruling on His behalf "in His Name" and not on our own behalf in "our name".

50 minutes ago, Paulhoward said:

We begin this Psalm , before we even marvel at creation with marvelling at God's name, "how majestic Your name". It all begins when we sit , kneel, prostrate, before Him. It doesn't matter how weak or puny or young or helpless we are, everything changes when we start to praise, just like children. This puts our enemies in their place. It also puts us in our place as we can live out our identity as those who has put in charge, even seated us in Christ above "spiritual beings"!!!!:o

As the Psalm unfolds and we look at the sky and realise the immensity of His creation we can only gasp at the awesome God who created all this. But immediately it switches in contrast to how "small" us humans are, yet we have been put in charge:blink: This too can bring us to worship and awe.

Then we are given our awesome identity within creation. Below the angels in position in the creation as we are on Earth. Yet given honour and glory because we are now put in charge of this earthly creation. We need all of God's help to do this well and see what part we have in it, we need to ask every day for this help so we do a good job. Each one of us has a part to play. Lord forgive us for what a terrible job we often make of it and mess up your creation:( We see a glimpse in Hebrews reference to this Psalm , to how He has put this right through 'the Son of Man'

we return at the end to marvel at the awesome God who has created such a creation and put "created beings" in such a place.

The question we face is ruling on His behalf "in His Name" and not on our own behalf in "our name".

Dietrich Bonhoeffer: " There is not one Psalm that speaks only of creation. It is always the God who has already revealed Himself to His people in His word whom we are to acknowledge as the Creator of the world. Because God has spoken to us, because His Name has been disclosed to us, we can believe Him to be the Creator. Otherwise we could have no knowledge of Him. Creation is an image of the power and faithfulness that God has manifested by making Himself known to us in Jesus Christ. We worship the Creator who has revealed Himself to be our Redeemer.

Psalm 8 praises the Name of God and His gracious dealings with mankind as the crown of His work - something which could never be inferred simply from the creation itself."

• 7 months later...

Q1. (Psalm 8). What does this psalm teach about God? What does it teach about human beings? What does it teach us about Christ? What does it teach about our responsibilities?

I believe this Psalm teaches us that God is majestic. He is glorious and He alone is the creator of the earth. Mere man cannot compare to Him and what He can do or make. He alone created the universe; the stars, sun, and moon. In Genesis 1 it states that he spoke everything into existence. Day and night, light and dark, the sky and the oceans, rivers and waters. The word majestic means grand or magnificent. He is beyond our sphere of thinking and His ways and thoughts are higher and far greater than ours.

The one who created the heavens is above them and cannot be compared to anything on earth. He alone is God and no one else. For this reason, we should praise Him alone. We should give Him praise and the glory due Him. How marvelous and wonderful He is and generous to give us all that we see on this earth for our enjoyment and so that we would worship and adore Him.

I believe that this teaches us that humans are far below God. He is infinite and we are finite. He was always around and we were created. He is timeless and we are not. We are lowly and small compared to God and His greatness and the glory of His creation. Yet He still cares about us and loves us.

I believe that the psalm teaches us that Christ also was humbled and made low so that He could become like one of us. So that He could die on the cross for our sins and restore our relationship with God

I believe that it teaches us that God put us here to take care of all His creatures and plant life that He created. We are to submit to His rule and authority and to be responsible care takers of the earth.

Q1. (Psalm 8). What does this psalm teach about God?
This psalm teaches us that God is more important than us. That God created us and blesses us with certain things like talents and gifts that we must use for His glory and magnification. The fact that the heavens and bodies of them speak of His creation and His power and His majesty. It also speaks of our finite ability compared to His infinite ability to create the world. It speaks of how God chose us even while we are yet sinners. It speaks of how as mere humans we are to worship God with our heart because He is our Creator. 
It teaches us that we are finite compared to Him. We are nothing without Him. For without Him we can do nothing. It speaks of how we as Mankind are chosen to worship the Lord and give Him praise and show forth His glory by magnifying HIs name. That way people know that we are created by Him alone. 

What does it teach us about Christ?
It teaches us that our Lord is over us because is before us and that we are to worship Him because of HIs love for us.

What does it teach about our responsibilities?

It teaches us that we are to take the responsibility of caring for animals seriously since God wants us to take care of them with great care and concern. 

• 11 months later...

Q1. (Psalm 8). What does this psalm teach about God? What does it teach about human beings? What does it teach us about Christ? What does it teach about our responsibilities?

The Creator God is so majestic and awesome, that the beauty of the earth (in its fallen state) declares the glory of God. And as if, the declaration of the earth, which is miniscule compared to the universe, is not sufficient, the heavens declare the majesty and glory of its Creator. God is indeed so powerful, awesome and glorious. 

Human beings are precious in His sight. That’s why the psalmist is incredulous when he says, what is man that You are so mindful of him? 

The God of the universe was willing to set aside His divine privileges, and became lowly and was found in the nature of man. We were not only precious in His sight, but He was willing to become the propitiation for our sins, and thus reconciling us back to God. And I am so thankful to Him for what He did for me.

It teaches us that we are to  rule the creation on which He has given dominion unto us as responsible stewards. We are to do that in a way knowing that we are accountable to Him. 

• 7 months later...
On 8/18/2007 at 12:41 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Psalm 8). What does this psalm teach about God? What does it teach about human beings? What does it teach us about Christ? What does it teach about our responsibilities?

it teaches us that God has rewarded us already with dominion over the other perfect works of his hands such as dominion of the things over our head, such as fowl, dominion over fields such as beasts, and another reward of having ground to walk. 

On 8/18/2007 at 12:41 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

it teaches us that God has given humans a reward on earth  to have control over the other works that God himself created, such as things above our head as birds, things in the field such as beasts, and given the gift of ground for man to walk on. 

• 3 months later...

The psalm teaches that God is omnipotent, all glorious, worshipped not only on earth but also by the hosts of heaven.  He has created all things and all things belong to Him and owe Him worship and homage.

Human beings are as nothing compared to the greatness of God, and yet He still cares for us.   We are His creation, but He has not created us and then abandoned us.  He is still "mindful of us"   and cares for us.   We have to acknowledge our utter dependence on our Creator.

God cares for us to the utmost - even to the extent that He sent His only son to join our human condition, to die for each of us.  No greater love could there be than this, that God Himself entered our human condition and became subject to all human restrictions.

God has created a perfect world, a world in which everything fulfils the purpose for which it was made.  He has given Man dominion over it - over all plants and creatures - and the implicit responsibility is that we will maintain the world in this condition and not destroy it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2007 at 1:41 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Psalm 8 - How Majestic is Your Name in All the Earth
    Q1. (Psalm 8 ) What does this psalm teach us about God?
            God is a magnificent creator who makes himself known in the earth, in the heavens, the moon and the stars, and in the creation of man 
            himself. It tells how God has a masterplan for everything and all of his creation has a purpose and role to play in glorifying Him.
            Man has a special place in God’s creation to give god his due.  Man has responsibility of caring for what God created in the way He 
            intended it to be done.
            What does it teach about our responsibilities?
            Our first responsibility is to honor and praise God in everything and to care for all of his creation including the plants and animals.

Psalm 19 - The Heavens Proclaim the Glory of God
    Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13 but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second. 
            What is it?
            God reveals Himself in creation and He also reveals Himself in his Word.
            In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God’s Word?  
            He uses wonderful language to describe seven ways the word is valuable: 
                1. It revives the soul
                2. Makes the simple wise
                3. Rejoices the heart
                4. Enlightens the eyes
                5. Endures forever
                6. True and righteous
                7. Desirable 
            Have you ever felt that way?
            Yes - I have always loved Psalm 119.
            How does the psalmist’s wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm?
            He sees a warning and asks God to protect him.
            In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?
            To enable David to be pure in heart and mind and to living a way pleasing to God.

Psalm 139 - The Creator and Searcher of My Inmost Being 
    Q3. (Psalm 139) In what ways does the wonder of creation seem to affect the psalmist? 
            He knows that God knows Him and will look after him.  He knows that God knows everything about him and God will not abandon him.
            In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does He ask God to do?
            He asks God to show him his sins of his heart and mind and to lead Him in the right way.

This psalm teaches that God's Glory and majesty are limitless. It also shows that human beings pale to almost nothing in comparison to God's Glory and majesty  - yet he still loves us! It shows that we mere humans are the crown of all of Christ's creation and he assigned to us to be it's caretakers. He gives us the power and authority to do so.  This then should encourage us to hold our shelves two a higher standard of Christian living and take our related responsibilities very seriously. . . .  I have included a photo taken taken near the chapel why the late near Juneau Alaska with a vista that my wife and I were privileged to view and enjoy on our 25th wedding anniversary cruise through the inland passage of Alaska. I think it really demonstrates a little piece of God's majestic creation! 

https://www.dropbox.com/transfer/AAAAAAbDrL3Gre9tOF_9j7pz8JZIkIacpAvQYjvrf8BcFHXGIY9hh6E

Q 1 ; the psalm teaches me that God is majestic crater and ruler of the universe and heaven . He made everything in heaven and earth including us , me mere human being for his glory and wonder .

q 2 the psalm reaches be about humans that I am crowned with glory and honour because I am made by Him and for him to honour and praise all that God is and be responsible for what he has given me to care for . 

3/ the psalm reaches me Christ is majestic .... and image of God . 

4/ my responsibilities are to be wise with what God has given me , care for the earth , my family and community I am in . 

• 1 month later...

God's name is excellent. God ordaines strength to still the enmy and avenger. God has redeemed Man and is mindful of Man. Man is crowned with the Glory and Honor of God and given dominion over the works of God's hands. God has put all things under Man's feet. 

• 2 years later...

This Psalm teaches that God is sovereign ruler of all created things in, above and beneath the earth because He is creator. God is Lord with lordship over the earth He created and without the effort of man, the heavens and the nature ascribes to Him the glory and majesty due unto His name as Jehovah God.

This Psalm teaches that, human beings, though frail and failing as mortals, are loved by God of all creation revealed in the comparison of the Psalmist that humans are positioned a little lower than the angels, glorified and honoured by God.

Through this Psalm, we learn that, Christ as a sacrificial lamb, became the second restored Adam, honoured and glorified through death, hell and resurrection.  Through this redemption, Christ is the stronghold against the world, flesh and the devil, making sin powerless forever by Christ's blood. 

As humans, God had chosen us to be good stewards in the earth over creatures and created things. By this we are called as restorers to restore what had been lost through the first Adam in the Garden of Eden, so that that the world and the soil of the earth will flourish in hope and peace in communion with God through by the powerful work of redemption. 

• 2 months later...

I'm excited about these new lessons. Thank you, Pastor Ralph!

--

This poem describes God's glory and majesty primarily in the context of creation. It teaches us to look at nature to see His power. God's nature is so powerful that we should regard it as majestic or praise-worthy. 

Humanity is described in the context of both nature and the heavenly order. Humans are over nature yet below angelic beings. The psalmist also promises us a stronghold against His enemies (Satan and demonic beings) which he describes as a foe and avenger.

What this psalm teaches about Christ is unclear. The later NIV translation doesn't include SON OF MAN, but instead, uses the words "human beings" (which seem very different):

what is mankind that you are mindful of them,
    human beings that you care for them?

If it were "Son of Man," it would clearly point to Christ, but since the NIV translators have changed the translation to "human beings," I'm not sure it points to Christ at all.

Our responsibilities are "to consider," that is, to meditate on his created order and our middling position in it, to look at nature with awe and accept our role as "rulers over the works of (God's) hands." ’What does this stewardship role entail? I'm not sure. I do like the process of gardening: growing vegetables from seed and watching them emerge from the soil. Perhaps there is more that should be done.