JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Lesson 1. Exercises

When I first became a Christian in 1992, I started going to this little country church. The new preacher and his wife taught us to sing Psalms 100. They have went on to start a church near where they live up in the hills now, but we still sing Psalms 100. I remember the smiles when we would sing it. I think God is still smiling down on us when we sing. This Psalm will always is very special to me.

Psalms 100

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord,

To the Lord, all ye lands.

Serve the Lord, the with gladness,

Come before his presence with singing.

Praise God! (men) Hallelujah, glory hallelujah! (women) 4 times

Know ye, that the Lord is God:

It is he, that has hath made us,

Not we, we ourselves;

We are his people and the sheep of his pasture.

Enter into his gates with thanksgiving,

And into his courts with praise:

Be thankful unto him, and bless his holy name.

For the Lord, the Lord is good;

His mercy is everlasting;

And his truth, his truth endureth,

To all, to all generations.

Halelujah, Amen.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I know I have sung this song in the past. So, i did a search in the internet. There were so many different versions. But it felt just good to just read them and follow the tune (although I was not sure I was following it accordingly :P

Here is one of the links http://www.cyberhymnal.org/scr/scriptur.htm (Look for the book of Psalms and click on chapter 8 and walla - there are a few different hymns)

I somehow did not find my favourite - O Lord, our Lord, how excellent is your name - version.

Cheers

Prayer - Psalm 19

Yahweh, The heavens and the earth continue to tell of your glory for all to see and understand. The rising and setting of the sun each day also give evidence of Your creative powers in providing the light and warmth necessary to sustain my life day in and day out. How could this happen by chance?

There are no words to describe the beauty of your world. One only has to look at the heavens to see the wonder of Your hand.

Yahweh Your Word is perfect and through it You have given us the gift of revelation.

Your Word is more desirable than anything on the earth and keeping them has great reward

Your law is perfect, converting my soul.

Your testimony is sure, making me wise.

Your statutes are right, rejoicing my heart.

Your commandment is pure, enlightening my eyes.

The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever.

Your judgments are true and righteous forever.

Yahweh, I cannot discern my own errors. Acquit me of all my hidden faults.

Keep me from willful and deliberate sins and let me not be dominated by them.

Cleanse me Lord from all my sins.

Yahweh, Let the words that I speak and the thoughts of my heart

Be acceptable to You, O LORD, my Everything.

Amen.

• 2 weeks later...

Exercise- Lesson 1

I chose to pray a little portion from each of these three wonderful psalms of creation that we have studied-Ps. 8,19 and 139

Heavenly Father,

I praise Your majesty and glory. Your creation shows Your great awesomeness and power. Your artistry of the earth, nature and the human body is something that could never be comprehended. Your artistry reaches out across the heavens, in the morning sunrise, the beautiful sunsets and the starry night sky. Thank you for giving us a beautiful world in which to live. I also praise You and thank you that Your a God of law and order. Its just one of the many ways You show us how great Your love is for man. Your laws are part of who You are and are designed for our protection and to make us wise and give us joy and light. I pray Father that You would deliver me and cleanse me from hidden faults and sins, that You would keep me from deliberate wrongs and help me to stop doing them. I realize its not only what I say but what I think must be pleasing to You. May You search me Lord, look into my heart and test my thoughts and send a spirit of repentance to my heart so that I may grieve the way You do, and I would desire to turn away, following only Your path to the way everlasting. In Jesus Name

• 2 weeks later...

Psalm 19 is my favorite psalm so many times I find myself meditating on it, thinking how awesome God's creation is.

• 4 weeks later...
Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

PSALM 139:

PSALM 139 moves me spirit a lot. So i chose to paraphrase it and relate it to me personally.This psalm is talking about how well GOD knows me. He knows ume too well to the extent that HE understands my thoughts and comprehend my paths. God knows when am sitting down, rising up, lying down etc. Infact, HE is aquainted with everything that concerns me. His all knowing, ominipotent, ominiscience nature is overwhelming to me that i lack the right words to explain it.

I respect, fear and praise the Lord God Almighty because i am fearfully and wonderfully made. He formed me even right from the womb, so HE knows me intimately well more than i know myself.And for this reason, i cannot go away from HIS spirit, because even when i hide myself in darkness, the night shall be light about me. The darkness and the light are both alike to GOD.

If i add together HIS thoughts and care for me, i will boldly say that they are important, precious and great.

As many that have hated the Lord and speak ill against HIM, are my enemies. I hate them dearly.

Father, i pray that if there is any such wicked act in me, please guide and lead me aright to life everlasting.

PSALM 139

In our everyday battles of life, we may hate GOD unknowingly and speak ill of HIM. That is why it is neccessary to make the above prayer i made. Most times, we have murmured and asked God uneccessary questions just because our expections have not been met. We should all know that in all our situations and circumstances GOD is ther with us.

The modern day synonyms and thoughts that correspond to the thoughts in this psalm are perfection, finished and completeness.

God is good in all ramifications.

• 1 month later...

As I had mentioned earlier, the Psalms are difficult for me to get the true feeling across. I feel the Holy Spirit when reading many parts of both the old and new testament, but haven't yet with the Psalms. I also am not good at memorizing, so have always hesitated to try. I get the meaning, but not the exact words or get them out of order.

I decided to memorize part of Ps 139. I really like the way it is personalized to me, as another reader mentioned. I memorized vs 1-4, 17 and 18, and 23 and 24. I need to keep practicing so that I don't have to think so hard, and would like to begin praying this way.

I am excited to feel that God is making progress in me with the Psalms, and encourging my prayer life at the same time.

I really enjoyed the responses of all. I usually post my answer first, then read others posts so that my post is reflected from my discoveries only. For the excercies, I feel inadequate, also as another reader expressed, and realized again that we are all in a different place in our walk with Jesus, and as long as I stay on the correct path, I am doing OK.

Everyones posts were so personal, and so intimate. I was overwhelmed by the power of the Holy Spirit in all who wrote. I have been encouraged by the support of all of you, and the lack of criticism and judgement. I feel safe to share here in my journey, even though I feel "farther behind" than most of you.

Thank you God for blessing me with this study group at the best time for me.

You are the Alpha and the Omega, forever.

I prayed Psalm 19. Father, I give You glory for Your marvelous handiwork. I concur with the heavens and the skies( they in silence and me with my lips) that You, O God are the true and living God. You are the Only God, the creator of the universe. I bless Your Name because You are true, just, right and holy; You are loving, kind and compassionate; You are forgiving and merciful. I pray Father that You cleanse me from hidden faults and keep me from deliberate sins. I offer my heart to You, change it; I surrender my mind to You, renew it. Let my life bring You joy. Teach me to speak words from my heart that bring pleasure to You and may those words edify and encourage others. In the name of Jesus, AMEN!

As I prayed Psalm 19, the words took life for me. I fell renewed, revived in my Spirit. It is a simple prayer but it covers a lot of ground. I believe this is a prayer that I will pray daily.

• 4 weeks later...

:blink: Hello, I just started this Bible Study last week so this is my first week's post. I have read the other posts and know that I am in some awesome and wonderful company here and that what I am writing does not, in any way, shape or form, compare but here goes:

[/center]The Lord's presence impsires a soul wrenching awe

just as the desert during a breezy cool dawn

He gives life to every plant, animal, man

as spring provides life to all living things

His word is like the water

that spills forth life and strength

His compassion is like the early afternoon shade

that protects new growth from deadly heat

His love provides the foundation

so that spritual roots can take hold

May the purpose and desires of my heart

be made pure by his care and guidance

and may his protection be with me always

• 4 weeks later...

I prayerfully read all 3 psalms loud and for each verse upon reading and meditating on it, I glorified the Lord. I felt so peaceful knowing Our Father in Heaven loves us a great deal and we ought to serve Him with all our heart, mind and soul. There is none like HIM!!! I remembered the song of a praise and worship as I meditated upon this Psalm and prayed it out to Our Lord.......it says...

There is none like You

No one else can touch my heart like You do

I could search for all eternity long and find

There is none like You

Your mercy flows like a river wide

And healing comes from

Your hands

Suffering childer are safe in Your arms

There is none like You

I could search for all eternity long and find

There is none

There is none

There is none like You

JESUS, there is NONE LIKE YOU! I love you with all my heart, soul and mind. Teach me your WILL, help me serve you better each day!

I praise the Lord for His presence amongst us as we live this life. Let us all prepare for His Kingdom by worshipping and rejoicing in His WORD daily!

Thanks to Pastor Ralph for every study of the WORD that enlightens us about Him.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first time posting and I just completed the study on Psalm 8. what a wonderful way to begin. God is truly awesome ! when I meditated on His splendor an His wonder or glory. when it says that God crowned us with honor and glory. I got a picture of God reaching inside His heart putting a special piece of Himself inside each o us. Something that reflected His glory and majestry in the earth. For each of us it was different. This gave me a feeling of purpose and belonging. ;)

Our children have been studying Psalm 8 in Sunday School- how's that for coordination? We had created a responsive reading for the children, and today they did it with the congregation as a call to worship. It was quite different for the adults to clap, shout, speak softly, speak slowly, and then do "How majestic is your name O Lord" with clapping, shouting and slowly. It was good to see the children actually participating in the worship service too...... The entire service was about psalms, and the kids paid more attention, because they heard some of the things we have been talking about in Sunday School.

I have been writing and praying each day on all the psalms in this lesson. I will probably continue to do this through out the study. I find that I feel closer to God when I do this. An added bonus is that now I can quote where some things are actually in the Bible. (I have a hard time of remembering). :) I feel this is a wonderful exercise for me. :)

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

Ichose to meditate on and pray Psalms 19 and 139 making them personal. I thought of the solitude of the psalmist and my own moments of solitude and reflection. Those were times of earnest and fervent prayers of thanksgiving. I thought of times when I actually stopped to behold the marvels of God's creations. I realized that God does not withold His beauty from us. I was reminded of a book I read titled "Seeking Eden". The author was attempting to provide a physical location for the Garden of Eden. But as I read these psalms, I concluded that we are in the midst of eden, but we are so busy, seeking the lost garden, that we dont take time to appreciate the eden that is all around us, everywhere we look if we just take the time as the psalmist did, we will behold the miracles of God's creations and know the awesome power and majesty of the father. I gave thanks to the God that is with me always, that knows my heart. I asked God to instill in me the qualities of the psalmist so that I too could have a heart after God.

Psalm 27 My personal prayer

Oh Lord, My light and my salvation,the one true stronghold in my life, I am not fearful or afraid, because I am confident that through your love,I will be victorious over any attacks against me. Father, I pray that I may dwell in the house of the Lord forever, so that my eyes may ever gaze upon Your beauty and bask in Your goodness. Father I Know that in times of trouble you are with me, that you will keep me safe, that you will shelter me in your secret dwelling place and set me high upon a rock. Father I know that through the indwelling of your Holy Spirit, I will be lifted up over my enemies. Oh Father, I give you halleujah praise, I will shout and sing praises to your name from the highest mountain top to the lowest valley. Hear my voice Oh Lord when I call. Father you said your sheep will know your voice, I beseech you Father to hear the voice of your servant and to be merciful and answer me. Father, I seek you face, Oh Lord turn not away from your servant. Father you have always been my helper, Your word says that you will be with me always, that you will never leave or forsake me. I give thanks to you Abba, My Father that you word is true, and I have contentement, joy and peace knowing that you will be with me always through good and bad times. As the deer pants after the water, so my soul longs after thee. God my hope ever rests with you and I praise you as my Lord , my Savior, my Redeemer and my God. Therefore I will wait on you Oh Lord, I will look for for works and earnestly seek you in my daily living and ever give you praise. Amen

• 1 month later...

I LOVE WRITING POEMS AND SO I TOOK SOME OF THE WORDS OF PSALMS 139 AND WROTE A POEM UNTO THE LORD :

EARLY IN THE MORNING WILL I SEEK THEE

GOD OF CREATION, GOD OF ALL MAJESTY.

THE HEAVENS AND EARTH TELL OF YOUR GLORY

THE BEAUTY OF CREATION DECLARES YOUR LOVE FOR ME.

YOU FORMED ME IN MY MOTHER'S WOMB, YOU CARE ABOUT ME

YOU KNIT ME TOGETHER IN THE DEPTHS OF THE EARTH, OH HOW I LOVE THEE.

I WILL SING PRAISES TO YOU ALWAYS , MY KING

YOU ARE MY LORD AND SAVIOUR, YOU'RE MY EVERYTHING.

I STAND IN AWE OF WHO YOU ARE,YOU'RE MAJESTIC TO BEHOLD

YOU ARE MORE PRECIOUS TO ME, INDEED MUCH MORE THAN SILVER OR GOLD.

TEACH ME THY WAYS OH LORD, LEAD ME IN THE RIGHT PATH

SEARCH ME,SEE MY ANXIOUS THOUGHTS, EXAMINE MY HEART.

HOW I LOVE THEE, OH LORD, MY ROCK, MY STRENGTH, MY REDEEMER,

I WORSHIP YOU FROM THE DEPTHS OF MY HEART, MY GOD, MY FATHER, MY CREATOR.

I LOVE YOU JESUS...GLORY.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

:P

Psalm 139

Oh Lord how you know me, my every thought, my every move, all my ways, I cannot utter a word that you don't know, even before I've said it. I cannot hide from you, no matter where I go, You are there, heaven, hell, morning, night, You are there. You formed me Lord, and I will praise you. you know me from inside out. You are my God. You have laid my life before me, even the days that have not come yet. Oh God, I wish there were no more wickedness. You are my God, Savior, Protector. If they are your enemies God, then they are my enemies. Search me oh God so I may know you.

• 2 weeks later...

[/size]

what god is like psalm 139:13 i think this is an awsome passage its about god new us all before we were born he knit us in our mothers womb and loved us so very much he watched us grow its makes me so very happy to know i am very special to god and he loves me god bless all of you