JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (Psalm 1). This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Why do we need to be reminded of this? From an emotional standpoint, what lines in this psalm stand out to you. Why do you think you like them?

We need to be reminded of the disposition if the righteous and the wicked so that as we, the righteous, remain on the straight and narrow and to give a chance for the wicked to join the ranks of the righteous.

From a personal standpoint I find that line three (3) evokes some emotions.

Upon meditation and reflection line three becomes immensely vivid and unlike the other five lines (in my humble perception) reminds who I am. A very powerful line! He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water: Here is an individual standing tall and confident in the word of the Lord forever being nourished and growing in his relationship with God.

[i][/i] that brings forth its fruit in its season: Demonstrating all that he has learned through the study of Christ.

whose leaf shall not wither and whatever he does shall prosper: He continues to grow and remains true to God never faltering from his righteous lifestyle and by doing so God will continue to work His will.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Psalm 1). This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Why do we need to be reminded of this?

Actually, we don't know that "the righteous will succeed". There's nothing in life to confirm that. And there is a constant pull between what I "feel" when I do something that I know pleases my Heavenly Father and what the 'world' approves. So even internally we struggle to know that "the righteous will succeed". Thus the need for the 'helmet' of salvation .... the constant reminder that "I am saved" and that "I can act differently" and that "whatever I see or hear from the outside world" is not the 'approval' that is important or a motivator for me. There is also the need for these wonderful reminders of the LORD's promises because they are from HIM and HE can be trusted because of who HE IS.

From an emotional standpoint, what lines in this psalm stand out to you. Why do you think you like them?

Verse 3b "which yields its fruit in season" Here in the US, we are able to buy any fruit at any time of the year. But the best tasting fruit is that which we buy locally grown, in season. This line is emotionally encouraging to me because life is a 'process' not a 'product' and its important for me to be patient during the 'process' portion of it, waiting for the 'product' (fruit) in its due time (season).

In the same verse (1:3) there is a promise that "whatever he does prospers". The 'teaching' on the meaning of this word was helpful ... that to prosper means "to accomplish satisfactorily what is intended". This thought gives meaning to the 'process' of life. So on my way to fruitful yield, the LORD's Word is accomplishing what it is intended to accomplish.

And the final promise (1:6) "the LORD watches over (protects/guards) the way (lifestyle) gives me that assurance that even though 1) internally I struggle with whether or not I am living the right way (righteous way) and pleasing the LORD irrespective of pleasing the world and 2) I observe all around me that the "wicked" seem to be winning, in fact, the LORD is in control and cares about my progress.

• 2 months later...

Psalm 1 is a wisdom psalm teaching us about two sets of people and two paths we can chose to take.We need constant reminders in our Christian life about the ways of the Lord.In our christian walk we need to keep reminding the ways we need to chose to be righteous. Pslam 1therefore is a reminder telling us that the blessings we have by chosing to walk in the right paths. It is a motivating Psalm when we feel weak .We would not find any support when we chose to be righteous,but the Lord watches over us. This is a blessed assurance. We need to tell ourselves though the path we chose is narrow and very difficult to walk on there is a great reward that comes form the Lord by following it. We are blessed because the Lord will watch over us always. Though we may face trials and temptations the Lord's right hand will uphold us because we chose to obey his word and walk the right way. Oh we will be fruiful people,bearing fruit at the right time because we chose to abide in the word of the Lord. We will not be withering with difficulties of life but we will be prospering in all that we do.Our lives will be always yeilding fruit and we look like those green leaves of a tree which is planted by the streams of the water.

All these promises are to be remembered whenever it becomes difficult to obey the Lord or chose the right ways in this tough world.

From an emotional point of view I liked the entire psalm so much which holds a blessing of prosperity for us if we chose the right ways. The verse which says I will prosper touched my heart. Right now i am certainly doing some things which are not so easy to do,but with the grace of the Lord I am striving to delight in the Lord and walk a right walk. This word greatly encourages me that I will prosper no matter what.

Secondly the promise of the Lord that he will watch over the righteous is a tremendous encouragement for me. When i chose to say no to the ways of the world and also do my best to make my family take the right ways I am confident my Lord will watch me over 24/7

Indeed I shall have victory when I have done my narrow walk trusting the Lord! I am called Blessed because i do not join the ways of the wicked nor have to do anything with them,but I constantly abide in the Lord.

Psalm 1 has delighted my heart to know that God is watching over me !

Psalm 1 constantly reminds us as people of God our walk with Him has to be righteous and holy. This psalm keeps reminding us that there are two paths that we can choose. The narrow path that leads to life by abiding in the Word of God and the broad path that leads to destruction by gratifying the passions of the sinful nature. it reminds me daily to live a righteous life , not to take the counsel of the ungodly and not to follow the pattern of the world but to live in the light of God's word.

i am inspired by Verse3- He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. whatever he does he prospers. As i delight myself in reading and meditating God's word and as i try to apply it in my daily walk a strong confidence is built within me.

As i choose to walk in God;s righteous paths i am sure that i am like a fruitful tree. i become a source to blessing to others. i do not wither under hard and heaty circumstances but i am always full of hope and joy as i preserve God's word in my heart. As i try to live a righteous life each day by God's grace whatever i do i prosper. This line-- whatever he does prospers gives me great confidence and encouragement that all that i do will be successful giving glory to God.

Ps 1 talks about being righteous & unrighteous, It shows us how the righteous take the narrow path and the unrighteous take the broad path but the psalm also says the blessing of the Lord come only on the ones who take the narrow path, who obey his laws , i.e. his word , God's word is very clear about being right in God's eye, when we are right are paths are right in God's eyes God watches over us, he protects are ways , but when we do not walk in his ways he does not like to watch our paths because each time he sees that a path unpleasing to him is taken he is hurt, God never deviates from his word, he cannot watch over us as when are ways are displeasing to him. This happens when are relationship with God is not strong, and to make it strong we always need to be in his presence, we have to constantly keep praising him and worshipping him, i.e. when walking in his ways becomes easy and our ways are pleasing to him, i.e. when he pours out his spirit on us as he watches are ways are right and his spirit guides every path of ours. Verse 1 gives me the confidence that as i am walking in God's ways and as i choose ways pleasing to him i am blessed and i see that everytime, and when i see people around me who are not righteous i get even more confident with this verse.

Yahweh God knows his righteous live among the unrighteous i.e the wicked and the mockers and sinners and as every earthly Father encourages his children so does our Heavenly Faher encourages us, motivates and support us to persevere. Just like an earthly father watches over their children - how much more our Heavenly Father who has created us in his own image and carved us on the palm of his hand - loves us and protects us and guides us and guards us.

Ps1:3 - He is lilke a tree planted ...whatever he does prospers. - this verse encourages me because no matter how the situation or circumstance is - we will stand firm with our Heavenly Father at our right hand and not only will we stand firm - we will prosper we will not be moved - but we will flourish.

• 4 months later...

This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Why do we need to be reminded of this? From an emotional standpoint, what lines in this psalm stand out to you? Why do you think you like them?

We need to be reminded because society has changed what is right and what is wrong and how those actions are rewarded. Watching television or reading the latest Twitter trends can give anyone a misconstrued notion of what it is to be righteous. Often, we think that trying to live righteous is enough. It is not enough. We must actually do it and we must do it according to God’s standards. This is what reaps rewards and not the kinds of rewards that the world deems appropriate, but the kind of rewards that can only come from God. We must also remember that the rewards for the righteous can be Earthly but they are also eternal. The wicked may be successful in this life but they will not succeed or be rewarded in Heaven. We need to be reminded because we can tend to think of things in the immediate sense. If I see a “wicked” person with riches or a good family or any other kind of reward while I am struggling to succeed in the same area, I may be tempted to think that he is succeeding over me. If I think in the eternal, this kind of thought pattern is easy to change.

Verse four has always stuck out to me. The ungodly are like chaff that the wind drives away. The wicked are so insubstantial to this world and to the fulfillment of God’s will that they are blown away, figuratively. They are also blown away metaphorically by the things of this world, like money, success, and material gain. The righteous, on the other hand, are so firmly rooted in Christ that, even in the hardest of times, they remain an essential, active, faithful part of God’s plan.

• 4 weeks later...

We need to be reminded that the righteous find joy because too often it seems the wicked get their way in the world and that sometimes 'nice guys finish last'. Also our society seems to have it backward at times, with bad being made to look good, and vice versa. Also, Satan is out to tempt each one of us away from the joyful path God has laid out clearly for us.

My favorite line is 'They are like a tree planted near streams of water, that yields its fruit in season.' This so perfectly describes the sure foundation (or healthy roots) and growth enjoyed by one who chooses (the Living Water of God) or His law to live by.

• 2 years later...

We have to be reminded that the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish because we are always being bombarded by the evil one. He would like us to think that our righteousness is useless and we can’t get anywhere with it.

The part of the Psalm that I like is when it says that wicked will blow away like the chaff and the righteous will prosper. That give me an image that stands out in my mind.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (Psalm 1).A.) This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Why do we need to be reminded of this?

B.) From an emotional standpoint, what lines in this psalm stand out to you?

C.)Why do you think you like them?

A.). I think we need to be reminded that the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish because we see so much wickedness in this world and some appear to be very successful. Sometimes it seems useless to try and be righteous, when all around us is wickedness. But we already know who has won the war between righteousness and wickedness, don't we? The wicked may appear to be successful, but in the long run the righteous win, for we will see eternity in heaven.

B.). My favorite in the Psalm is the first verse.

C.). I like it the best because it mostly describes how I "try" to live my life. I "delight " in reading the Bible and try very hard to do what is right. It is reassuring seeing these words on paper.

• 9 months later...

Q1. (Psalm 1). This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Why do we need to be reminded of this? From an emotional standpoint, what lines in this psalm stand out to you. Why do you think you like them?

Jesus said He (God) causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous (Matthew 5:45). Perhaps we need reminding ("the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish") because it does'nt happen fully yet. Or perhaps the quote from the psalm in question is a generalisation, like Ephesians 6:3 -not every person who obeys their parents will live a long life. I think that in the end, the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Perhaps the passage is refering to the spiritual side of our lives. People who do not believe in and do not meditate on the word of God may appear to have a prosperous life, however I know what life I prefer to live, that is knowing my Saviour and Lord. I like the whole Psalm.

• 1 month later...

It is important to meditate on God's Word for direction in this evil world. When we let others things influence our thinking it can take us off that narrow road. This is why I like verse 2: But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law doth he meditate day and night. I know when I spend time in God's Word that my thinking and my actions have a compass that guides me in the right direction.

• 4 months later...

Through salvation we have the Holt Spirit within is but we still possess our human nature. We still live in a fallen world and the forces of evil would like nothing better than to pull us back into a worldly lifestyle. Being constantly reminded that we have chosen to follow Jesus and reject the world gives us the hope to overcome. It is good to be reminded of the dangers of our former life style.

The verse that stands out in Psalm 1 is verse 3. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yield its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.  This verse is filled with hope. Hope that a like committed to following Christ is not in vain. A life that will be filled with spiritual rewards. 

Through salvation we have the Holt Spirit within is but we still possess our human nature. We still live in a fallen world and the forces of evil would like nothing better than to pull us back into a worldly lifestyle. Being constantly reminded that we have chosen to follow Jesus and reject the world gives us the hope to overcome. It is good to be reminded of the dangers of our former life style.

The verse that stands out in Psalm 1 is verse 3. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yield its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.  This verse is filled with hope. Hope that a like committed to following Christ is not in vain. A life that will be filled with spiritual rewards. 

• 4 months later...

We need to be reminded continually of the truth's of God's Kingdom for the purpose of renewing our mind's, which is the key to transformation.

In this, we are able to comprehend more and more what the will of God is for both our life and that of our family.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Romans 12:2

Walking in harmony with the Lord, staying within the reach of His "rod and staff" is where we learn from Him, and are comforted by these.

The renewed mind is able to "receive the things of God" for they are spiritually discerned.

It is He who must lead us in the paths of righteousness... so by "hearing His Voice and following Him", we are successful in the ways of righteousness.

A path is a well worn route that has been traveled many times.

The paths of righteousness are no different.

It is by the continual application of these "righteous habits" that we will walk in and practice the ways of righteousness as a lifestyle.

John says it this way -

Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 1 John 3:7

justpassinthrough

• 6 months later...

This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Why do we need to be reminded of this? From an emotional standpoint, what lines in this psalm stand out to you. Why do you think you like them?

We need to be reminded that the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish because it is something that does not necessarily happen in this life but it is our reward eternally. Our guarantee of this is the gift of the Holy Spirit which is a given to us when we believe. Success in this world for a Christian is not measured by worldly   goods and deeds instead it is about the word of God which passes all understanding.

for me the most significant of heart off the psalm  is the image of a tree planted by a stream. Your trees are so often an image in the Bible but this one by the waters which bears fruit and does not wither - it prospers as does the righteous person.

• 5 months later...

A. It's very easy to get caught up in the things of this world. We see the seemingly prosperous way of the 'sinner', those who chase after the 'almighty' dollar, or seem to gain thru illicit means. We have to be reminded of TRUE prosperity and the way to that end.

B. 1:3 Reminds me of Isaiah 40:28-31. Wait upon, Trust in, Have confidence in. Just as father and son (child). The son listens ( little tots that is)intently to the father and mimics his every move- and if they have a good father they shall receive good instruction that will make their way successful. Of course tots grow up and start doing their own thing (usually for acceptance from peers {the world}.) Kind of an analogy of the newly born Christians -myself included- the initial zeal, hanging onto every word, and the temptation of regressing back into old behaviors and prioritizing matters according to world standards and not YAHWEHs' (Matt. 13:22, Mark 4:19)

• 2 months later...

The question asks "why we need to be reminded of the success of the righteous and the destruction of He wicked?" The may be a number of reasons, in that it is part of spiritual warfare in that the enemy is always telling us that "this is a wast of term". We need to see the benefits , that God is watching over us, that we will be prosperous & successful in all we do. Laziness can be a big enemy in Christian disciplines. 

The thing that I like about this Psalm is that it gives us a pathway, definite things we can do. That living the Christian faith doesn't have to be a mystery!!!!!

particular verses are about the fact that I am sure to be successful if I walk this way, it doesn't just depend on me. God is watching over things , like a group I am leading, even prosperity!!!! I think I like the fact that the pressure is off me.

• 7 months later...

I believe that we need to be reminded of this because we often see the wicked going unpunished. They seem to be flourishing while we are often struggling and have problems. The sinners or unbelievers seem to sail through life at times. We see it in the news people who get away with stuff that regular people could not. We often wonder if they will get away with everything. We wonder where God is and will He punish them. This psalm tells us that God has not forgotten us and that eventually they will perish. We will go to heaven and they will go to hell. We need to remember that money and things do not last. Our true riches will be in heaven waiting for us.

Verse 4 part 1 speaks to me because it reminds me God has not forgotten me. He knows what I am going through. He hears my every cry and sees my tears. He is watching over me and will help me if I ask Him. I need to remember to ask for His help to succeed and prosper. I cannot do it on my own.

When it comes to sin we need to turn from sin and the very kind of people who commit sin as well. For God loves us far too much to leave us as we were and let us stay in our sin anymore. We need to be reminded of choosing the right path daily because God loves us and wants us to walk in it. Isaiah 30:21 says Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “ This is the way, walk in it, “ Whenever you turn to the right hand Or turn to the left. What this means is that whether we turn aside in either direction God will guide us to the correct direction and lead us and tell us to walk the path that He has set before us. This way we are walking the path of the righteousness that He has planned for us. Verse 6 speaks to me specifically since I am going through a lot right now and I am dealing with a lot and I am not sure if God is really there for me or not. Upon reading this Psalm God spoke to me through it and showed me that He is there and does care and never left me. I like it because it reminds me that God loves the righteous and hates the wicked. 

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Q1. (Psalm 1). This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Why do we need to be reminded of this? From an emotional standpoint, what lines in this psalm stand out to you? Why do you think you like them?

This psalm has portrayed contrasting outcomes of righteous and unrighteous living, starting off with the blessedness or happiness of the righteous man, and ending with how the unrighteous will perish. In my version of the Bible, it starts with the word blessed and ends with the word perish. It’s true.  In this life, surrounded by hardships and suffering, we might wonder and question God as to why the righteous are going through suffering. Jesus on His sermon on the mount speaks in a similar way, speaking of the blessedness of the poor in spirit, and when He is ending His public discourse He speaks woe to the unrighteous man.

From an emotional standpoint these lines stand out to me

It is so important while choosing our friends, or those who may have an influence over our lives. For when we keep company of those whose world view is contrary to the scriptures, we might be drawn to opposing God ourselves in the process. As the Psalm suggests the progression of a man to becoming ungodly is first walking with them, then standing and finally sitting and becoming comfortable with the ungodly. I realize the importance of those who would become influencers of our lives. So to be righteous it is important to take godly counsel and to have godly company.

How important it is to meditate on the word of God. Just as the cow brings back its food chews the cud in order to glean the nutrients from it, we too should be meditating on the Word of God. Not only is it going to strengthen our inner man, it is also going to help us to navigate the world with wisdom from above. Also it ensures success in what we do in our lives, so that there will be fruit in what we do.

He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water. It’s a planted tree, not a wild tree. It will have bountiful fruit and even if there are seasons when there is lesser fruit, it will not become a leafless tree. 

The Lord knows the way of the righteous. Our righteousness comes not from our efforts, but because of the righteousness that’s been imparted unto us through our Lord Jesus Christ. I am reminded of the verse which says, the eyes of the Lord runs to and fro to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is set on Him. I want my affections to be set on Him, and when His eyes are on the lookout He will see me, as I am clothed with His righteousness and with my eyes fixed on Him.

• 7 months later...

Because man was brought into a world of sin. God knows this, and Christians need to be reminded of this one very concept. The line in Psalms 1 verse 3 "And he shall be like the tree planted by the rivers of water to bringeth forth his fruit of his season."  To me, this verse is my favorite of Psalms 1, because it shows that man will come to forgiveness in season if that man puts his faith into God and the trinity.  I like them in verse because it shows the importance of a time and place for everything. 

• 2 years later...
On 8/18/2007 at 1:54 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

"But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night."   I want to have a love for the law and not be fearful.  Actually bible verses do pop in my head during the day so I guess I am meditating. 

• 1 year later...

This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Why do we need to be reminded of this? Firstly, it is important for all to remember that reward or doom is specific to the path we choose. Secondly, the righteous' faith is constantly renewed that God promises a hopeful end if even the process is rugged and uncertain.

From an emotional standpoint, what lines in this psalm stand out to you. Verses 2 and 3 stand out to me that ‘my delight in the law of the Lord, cultured by my obedient love, yields for me unshakeable strength, multiplicity, prosperity.

Why do you think you like them? Because it gives me a clear understanding and position of who I am in God and that in Him I have a secure and bright future, even by the blessed work of my hands.