JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

We are like the people who looked in the mirror then turned away only to forget what we just saw. To our embarrassment we need to be reminded every day about everything. Oh how foolish we are.

This Psalms has been a staple of mine for many years. The words of verse 3 are what sustained me when I was laid-up from surgery. They were and are a cool drink of water on a hot and dry day. Refreshing the soul and soothing the spirit with His love.

Verse 6 or should I say the 1st four words have become increasingly real the last couple of years 'For the Lord knows...' Oh how poignant, how wonderful my God knows all that I need all the time, any time and every time. That is so reassuring as I walk through this sin filled world.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all need to be reminded that God will prove His own. If we live for God we're blessed, just like faithful Abraham. If we look down at the grains of sands, or up at the stars in the sky, we're blessed. Sometimes it seems as though the wicked people in this world seem to prosper with fine cars, big houses, more money than they could ever spend, but God's blessings are not upon them, they're left to their own resources. I've seen people who had more earthly wealth, and fame than they knew what to do with, and were so miserable nothing gave them peace. I want to be like that tree planted by the rivers of water that no matter the winds, rain, heat of the battle or whatever satan will bring, we cannot be moved. Just like the roots of a tree that run deep into the ground, if we become so intertwined with God, and His ways, nothing can seperate us from His love, and His blessings.

When we're like that, when we get a call that our child has been in an accident, or we've lost our job, or a flood or fire has destroyed everything we own, we cannot be moved. We can lose our earthly possessions, but if we have Jesus we can make it through. I don't want to be like the chaff that the wind can drive away. Jesus is that solid foundation that I want to build my house upon. Just like verse 6 says, the Lord knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish. I want God to hear me when I cry out to Him. I've lived for God long enough that I know, as long as we're in His will, He will prosper us.

Q1. (Psalm 1). This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Why do we need to be reminded of this? From an emotional standpoint, what lines in this psalm stand out to you. Why do you think you like them?

For me personally, I need to be reminded so I won't forget the sin that God brought me out of. Sin that could destroy not only my life, but my soul. It helps me to remember the love that God has for me. That his Son gave his life so that I could be reconciled back to God and have eternal life. To me, verse 2 stands out to me, "But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in his law doth he meditate day and night." I like it because I not only realize I have to turn away from evil, but I must build my around the words of the Lord. Seek to obey God's will because I am doing it from the heart. That can help me to take pleasure in God's ways and commandments. When I am seeking to obey Go0d's will, I will meditate on his word in order to shape my thinking, my attitude, and my actions. I will read Scripture, ponder on it, compare to other Scripture and ask myself question's about the Scripture. Is there a promise, a sin I msut avoid, a command to obey, is my spirit in check with the Holy Spirit, is the Scripture stating a truth about God, salvation, sin, world, and my obedience.

We need to be reminded that if we life a righteous life, we're blessed, if we walk the way of the sinners then we will perish. As we go through trials, and persecutions I think it's good to be reminded of these verses so that it gives us strength to hold on to God's promises. I like verse three, it reminds me that if I stay close to God, study His Word, and live a righteous life, no matter what comes my way, I'm unmoveable, and that God will prosper me.

• 3 weeks later...

(Psalm 1). This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Why do we need to be reminded of this? From an emotional standpoint, what lines in this psalm stand out to you. Why do you think you like them? Because sometime while living for the Lord, it look as if many people of the world are doing great. It seem like they don't have problems as a christian. But as we all know this is only a trick of the devil. If those in the world are doing the things of the world, we must understand that the devil is out get those that believe in God not those that are don't. The lines that stand out to me is 1-3 because just knowing that I can have joy following God, and try daily to live my life that way without letting others change me to the things of world no matter how they feel, but me knowing that God is watching over me even as I go through my day and night. In order for us to bear good fruit we must be a tree of good fruit nothing inside is unclean. It a daily living and I pray that more of us will truly decide to have a made up mine that no matter what, I'm going to serve the Love of the Lord.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Psalm 1). This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Why

do we need to be reminded of this?

ANS - Because it is so easy to be tempted and trapped by the evil one, and drawn astray. We need to be reminded of the blessings in following the Lord. We need to rejoice and praise Him for his blessings, which are daily.

Q - From an emotional standpoint, what lines in this psalm stand out to you. Why do you think you like them?

ANS - Vs. 2 NS 3 - "Being planted by the waters" - this is where I have grown in the Lord and am renewed day by day. As in Psalms 23. My renewal process of the last 2 and half years has been made meaningful by the reading, memorization, and meditation in the Word! :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

We are continually reminded that "the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish" because our souls have flesh that sometimes wants to do its own thing. and we always have to renew our mind and spirit so that we don't get desensitized of the world and its sins. As much of a loving God we have, there is much power we can never comprehend because of his awesomeness and majesty. He is a big God and we are humans in our borrowed world for just 1 night until the coming of Jesus. I would rather use the fruits of the spirit of the already-winning-team then the so-called-wannabees of the confused team.

I really like verse 3. Which I sure most of you do too. Its just comforting knowing that God's supply of everything is like flowing water. never stops, never runs dry, always en mass(alot of), and water is the source for things to grow, plus you cannot go without water longer than 3 weeks or you will die. Sounds familiar when I do not have Jesus in my heart for that long. I spiritually and emotionally die. His flowing water has been my source for many times in my life where water had to be the only thing I took in.

Chelsey

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. (Psalm 1). This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Why do we need to be reminded of this? From an emotional standpoint, what lines in this psalm stand out to you. Why do you think you like them?

The wicked have more fun - and our sinful nature wants to be with them - but... they will perish!

We need to be reminded because we easily forget and leave for the broad road too.

Besides this, the fact that God will do justice can encourage us to stay on the narrow road.

I like the picture in verse 3 for giving a strong emotion of peacefulness.

I like the words of verse 6 for encouraging me.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, we should know this, but when I look at my imperfect behavior, my foolish heart re my brother Rich's work for example, I could have lauded him but didn't, could have speknt more time with him but didn't, could have tried to approach him more but didn't. Still, he is not one to have verbal relations' and has his set of problems..

how can I speak from the heart to him about going to church and then see it pushes him from me; dear lord, why don't i have the wisdom to evolve my brother to your word? Please forgive me sorry view of family members when don't know you. Please give me the wisdom to be perfect in my words. May the spirit come to them, they are good people, serving father and mother with the heart of a saint. Let your love touch their hearts, let your light shine on their path, show me what to do?

In Jesus name!

• 2 weeks later...

Your question implies that we already 'know' that the righteous will succeed and that the wicked will perish. But on what level do we 'know' it? All around us we see examples of people who are not perceived as righteous but who are prospering according to the standards of the world while those faithful seem to lack prosperity. What's that about?

Sure we have the concept of the wicked perishing but not in a 'here in the moment' reality. Conversely, we often see them seeming to thrive.

It is one thing to 'know' in my head because of the written word, but to 'know' in my heart is another thing altogether. I strive to know in my heart but, Lord, I'm not there yet.

My favorite part of this Psalm, is vs. 2; "But his delight is in the law of the Lord and on his law he meditates day and night." Since Christ came that His law might be written on my heart not on stone, it is that which I take comfort meditating on!

• 3 weeks later...

I think we need to be reminded of this on a daily basis because each day we face conflicts and trials from both Christians and Non-Christians. I like

verse 6. I think it helps to keep a clear perspective when I find myself in a challenging situation.

• 3 months later...

Many christians will at some stage compare themselves to the 'wicked' and think something like 'I work hard to do good things all day long, and yet at the end of the day [insert name here] lies and cheats and gets twice as much as I have ever received.' God reminds us that the wicked will perish because we often do forget this, and in knowing that we have our reward stored up in heaven where it cannot rust or rot , this can calm our hearts and help us to move on in our walk with God.

I like verses 1-3 the most. We are informed of our blessing for 'not [walking] in the counsel of the ungodly, then told what we should be doing to stay holy, and then the rewards of keeping our holiness. Although, my favourite out of those three is verse 3. It gives me peace of mind that even though the winds may blow to get rid of the chaff or to test me, my roots will hold me firm to the word of God beside his life giving water! The last line is the best, 'And whatever he does shall prosper.' How encouraging!

• 1 month later...

We need to be reminded of the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish because God does not want to judge people based on their race, sex, or national origin. God wants us to be filled with happiness, joy, and peace. If you are doing things God will not bless us. The way of righteous is known for being bless by the Lord. The way of the ungoldy shall perish you will not recieved God's blessings.

The verse that stands out to me is verse 2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord, an din his law he meditates day and night. I like this verse because it delights and meditation. We as Christians and believers should learn how to follow God words by meditation daily. This means spend time praying, reading, thinking about what you have read, and writing down our thoughts. According Joshua 1: 8 we are suspose abiding by the book of God. Another verse that stands out to me is verse 3. He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper. I like this verse because it talks about prosperity, and I want to be prosper throughout my life. When you apply the wisdom of God the fruit will show the results, and when we bear the fruit you will recieve God' blessings. In reality, God wants us to prosper so that all our needs are met and we can give to others. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=659

I think we need to be reminded of this at all times for the following reasons:

• 4 weeks later...

Because sometimes in this world evil looks like it is prospering and the righteous are having a hard time. I like verse #2 In the Message bible it says it this way " Instead you thrill to God's word, you chew on scripture day and night. The definition of thrill is something that causes emotional excitement. My pray is that this would be my hearts desire, more of His word. Like in Jeremiah 15:16 , I found your word and I ate it, to me is was the joy and rejoicing of my soul.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes we lose sight of this because it seems that the wicked man continues in his

wickedness virtually unchecked, even prospering. Verse 4 stands out to me and depicts the wicked as dried up chaff that the wind blows away. The righteous knows the source of their refreshing, their nourishment, Jesus our living water. We stay planted in him in his word and in his way,. But, the wicked don't seek to be connected to God for their nourishment. So, without being rooted and ground in Jesus (the living water) they simply dry up and get blown away. The wicked's end is always destruction.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1 - I need to remember this because at times seeing evil men prosper tempts me to either go their way or at the least be jealous. By being reminded of the way of God it helps me remain strong against those temptations.

Q2 - Verse 6"For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish."

Q3 - I like this line because it sums up God, his desire to have a relationship with me and the blessings that will come if I continue in his ways. The thought of having God "watching over me"fires me up and helps me to avoid the temptations of this evil world.

• 2 months later...

A1. (Psalm 1). This psalm is important because sometimes I am weak and need to know that the wrong choice will lead to failure. Only the right choice will be successful.

I like this one...

"But his delight is in the law of the LORD,

and on his law he meditates day and night." (1:2)

...It tells me that a godly person delights in the law of the Lord, and thinks about it a lot. So I can double check and see if I feel delight as well, and if I think about the Word often enough. Then if not, I have a chance to try and change that.

Q1. (Psalm 1).

This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish.

Why do we need to be reminded of this?

We most definitely need constant reminding that only the righteous will succeed. We live in a predominantly ungodly world. With so much time for pleasure, it is very easy to be distracted from studying the Word and getting closer to our Lord. In our media-centred world we are continually bombarded with worldviews that are in conflict with our Christian teaching, so here again, it very easy to start backsliding and become easy prey for

The path stood out in that a path is traveled on and forms a visible place to walk. It keeps one out of the dangerous places. It keeps us on track in our journey..N Just as reading Gods word over and over keeps us heading toward God and keeps us from dangerous sideways. We actually create Gods pathway in our mind and heart as we meditate on 7HIS word

• 2 months later...

It's hard for me to think about the wicked being lost, but I do agree that there are those who would not be happy in heaven, because they haven't nourished themselves in God's spirit on earth.

I am in awe when I stand under a cottonwood tree next to the creek, and gaze up into it's branches. It is so full and extensive, and supports so much life. It would be an honor to be used by God in such a way, to help support and nourish others. But to be useful in that way, I must have to give, which means I must determinedly avoid being sidetracked by ungodly and false thinking, while I seek to be truly, humbly, godly.

• 1 month later...

We need to be reminded of these truths because they help us think from an eternal perspective. Around us the wicked do seemingly prosper, and some righteous people do suffer - from random or targeted violence, from poverty and oppression, and from natural disasters like the earthquakes in Haiti, Chile and Japan. I don't want to make light of that very real suffering, but God does tell us that this life is just a breath, a very short time, and that there is more, afterward, eternally.

Emotionally, two words stand out. The first is "delight". I delight in an unexpected gift from a friend, time spent with my cousin...my black lab delights in our morning routine of getting his food and lots of scratches from me. Do I look forward to the study of God's word with such anticipation as I do for days I've planned with my cousin? Sometimes. Sometimes it is self-discipline and force of habit. Can I seek God persistently and devotedly the way my dog does, waking me up because he knows he depends on me for food and some loving?

The second word is "watch over". The lesson's elaboration of this word was very helpful. God is so faithful to watch over, not only see, but guard us. We make the best decisions we can as humans, based on the limited information we have and our best interpretations of all our knowledge and emotions, but sometimes we err. How often God has wonderfully intervened through people or circumstances to alter my path!

• 2 months later...

Q1. (Psalm 1). This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Why do we need to be reminded of this?

I was reading Ps. 73 this morning before I opened Pastor Ralph's email to begin this lesson. I had remarked to my husband how that psalm is such a great reminder to keep our focus on the Lord rather than looking around at the wicked who are prospering and seemingly without trials or hardship of any kind, and in their arrogance and pride, rail against God and His people! During long difficult trials of loss and humiliation a number of years ago, I complained to the Lord about the immoral, prideful people I saw who "have it all....prosperity, travel anywhere they want to go, dining out, more cars than they can drive, wasteful foolish spending....while we were suffering, just as the Psalmist had been writing about. Then V16,17,18,19: But when I considered how to understand this, it was too great an effort for me and too painful. UNTIL I went into the sanctuary of God, then I understood, for I considered THEIR END. For You do set the wicked in slippery places. You cast them down to ruin and destruction. How they become a desolation in a moment, etc". Then I felt, as the Psalmist did, FOOLISH! For who do I have but God? Then the Lord showed me this: He knows the future, and He knows who will come to Him and who will not. He allows many who will never come to Him to have a prosperous life and worldly pleasures without measure, because this is all they will ever have...then their eternal destruction. This made sense to me after I thought about it....He's a gracious and just God. Why not allow them to enjoy this life when this is it for them, if trials would not soften their hearts to draw near to Him?

In psalm 1, the Psalmist expresses the same viewpoint about the wicked, but from God's perspective in His eternal purposes. Though the righteous go through trials and hardship (for the purpose of cleansing and spiritual growth in faith), we are HAPPY, FORTUNATE, PROSPEROUS AND ENVIABLE (AMPLIFIED), and everything we do shall prosper and come to maturity (because we are His, and because He wastes nothing...not even our tears, which He stores in a bottle.)

We need to be constantly reminded that this life is but a vapor, and all that we go through here is to prepare for our eternal life with Him. Therefore we can praise Him in the trials and hardship because they carry an eternal weight of glory, and because He is in us and around us as we go through life. The wicked are utterly alone in this life (if they fail to repent and come to Him for salvation) and will be cut off from Him in the next, standing unjustified in the judgment, while the righteous receive our rewards!

From an emotional standpoint, what lines in this psalm stand out to you. Why do you think you like them?

I love this Psalm! Especially these verses: V1:"nor stands submissive and inactive in the path where sinners walk, etc" This reminds me that my home is in the Kingdom of God...that I have choices about where "I walk and dwell"....I may be among the least in this world, but I have been chosen by my Father to be the Bride of His Son! (Where I choose to walk reflects Him, so I'm careful where the path leads.

V2 "His delight and desire are in the teachings of God...." When I learned that Jesus is the Word made flesh, I realized that when I read the Bible, I'm not only spending time with Him, but I'm learning about Him as well as renewing my mind, so reading His Word is no longer "a duty, or an "I should". It has become my "food" during the long years in the wilderness, and is primarily how He speaks to me. It (He) is my delight!

V3 "Like a tree firmly planted and tended by streams of water, ready to bring forth fruit in its season..." This reminds me that though it may be utter desert conditions around me, my roots go down deep in Jesus. He's the true Vine, and I am a branch, so I won't wither and may still produce eternal fruit because He is my Living Water. I smiled when I read "firmly planted and tended"....He is the gardener...the vinedresser. I'm not allowed to grow like a wild vine! I'm carefully tended!

V6 "For the Lord knows and is fully acquainted with the way of the righteous...." I love that He surrounds me and dwells in me, is never away from me, so I am never alone nor forsaken, nor forgotten. He knows everything about me and whatever I am going through, and He "tends the fire" so to speak. I can go through it without being burned, and His purpose for the "fire" will be made manifest some day, and will bring Him glory. (I haven't always known this, and I'm so grateful that He continues to teach and train, no matter how old we are!)

• 2 weeks later...

We need to be reminded that the righteous will succeed, because it seems so much easier to be a sinner who hangs out with the mockers.

The two verses that stood out to me were the third and fourth, the comparison between the tree thats leaves never wither and the worthless chaff scattered in the wind is easily pictured and is almost startling.