JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Psalm 40

Q4. (Psalm 40:17) In this verse David combines both humility and faith in his prayer to God. Why are both humility and faith necessary? What happens when one of these qualities is missing?

Humility: we have to know our place.

We don't deserve anything.

Even though we can trust that He helps because of His mercy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Faith and Humility should go hand in hand. You need faith in order to be saved and you need humility in order to not boast and think you are higher than God cause of the power that comes through faith. God wants pure hearts and obedient hearts. People who usually are proud are not obedient cause they do things on their own and own time, that's what gets them proud. THEY did it. NOT GOD..... So Faith and humility is a key to advancing the kingdom of God.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (Psalm 40:17) In this verse David combines both humility and faith in his prayer to God. Why are both humility and faith necessary? What happens when one of these qualities is missing?

Psalm 40, 16 But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you;may those who love your salvation always say,"The LORD be exalted!"

17 Yet I am poor and needy; ay the Lord think of me. You are my help and my deliverer; O my God, do not delay.

As in Psalm 51 which seeks forgiveness, God expects a contrite heart regarding our sins when we seek forgiveness. Without the humble contrite heart, forgiveness will not occur and the heart will continue with this burden. Humility in our prayers shows God we believe who he is and that he can do "all things". With out faith our prayer is confused communication with God. This helps me to see that my faith is inadequate for what I already know about God and His way to come close to me. With faith in our prayer we tell God we believe who He is and that He is able to take care of our needs. With humility to our creator we submit ot His will, just as Jesus did to Father God. Please oh Lord show me the path to stronger Faith and Humility; may we/I move mountains. Let the faith of a mustard seed do its work on my heart and mind! Glory to God in the Highest.

In a state of humility, I know I am need of salvation. With faith, I reach out to my saving and redeeming God. Without humility, I am filled with pride and in a proud state, I recognize no need of a savior and thus would not have the faith to reach out to one.

It's so interesting the way God, through Christ, turns human logic upside down. From the beatitude on the mount...'Blessed [are] the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.' How preposterous to the human brain to begin to understand that being humble would lead to riches!

• 3 months later...

I think humility is matter of knowing with absolute certainty who,what,how,where God is concerning to us and vice versa .If we keep this perspective we always will remain humble at least in our praying .

Faith is conviction and certainty that He is listening and answering our prays.

• 4 weeks later...

"Love is not proud." We have been commissioned by God to share his word and his love. God cannot work with proud hearts because we need to see that it is through him alone that faith works can be carried out. We need humility so God can work through us, we need faith so God has the option to use us. One of the other members said that prayer becomes ineffective with one missing, I agree with that

• 2 months later...

Humility and Faith is necessary in prayer because, we have to faith to believe in something that we do not see and er need humility to be humble before God. If one of these is missing the pray came work because without faith we don't beleve it will happen and without humilityhow can we go before God.

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=670

Psa 40:17 I am weak and poor, O Lord, but you have not forgotten me. You are my savior and my God--- hurry to my aid!

We have to humble ourselves before God, where there is no humility, there is pride and where there is pride God cannot work.

When one is missing, God will not be present, we have to be humble before God, without humility there can be no faith.

• 4 weeks later...

Because David knew just like I know I am nothing without Christ. An we believe that God is faithful to His word. He did not give me what I deserved. Well then you are going down the wrong road with more troubles to come.

• 3 months later...

A4. (Psalm 40:17) We need humility about God because God is so much better. Faith is important, without it we wouldn't truly trust God. It is not right thinking if I do not have both of these things.

Q4. (Psalm 40:17)

In this verse David combines both humility and faith in his prayer to God. Why are both humility and faith necessary?

We must come before our Almighty God in humility recognizing exactly who we are - His creatures, a sinner, and nothing more. Without Him we are nothing. We are to submit in obedience to Him; acknowledging Him as our Heavenly Father. We have to put our faith and trust in the promises of God; they are all we have.

What happens when one of these qualities is missing?

Without humility we will not receive the promised blessings of grace, wisdom, and respect. Without our faith and trust in Jesus there is no salvation.

• 2 weeks later...

We need humility and faith both because there are many things we cannot do on our own. We must remember the many "wonders" He has done for us as stated early in the psalm. Speaking of myself, without humility I can become proud and not see my need of a Savior to help me. Without faith, I have no hope and I wallow in despair and low self-esteem. But when faith and humility "join hands," I can see the hope that I have in a Savior who raises me out of the pit into new places of joy that I could not find on my own. I know this is true when I think of some recent circumstances in my life.

• 6 months later...

Q4. (Psalm 40:17) In this verse David combines both humility and faith in his prayer to God. Why are both humility and faith necessary?

God honors the humble and resists the proud. Humility knows that the Lord is our provider, healer, deliverer, soon coming King. Pride urges independence from God, pretends it is not really needy and can go it alone. When a desperate need arises for the proud they have little faith in God and much reliance on self/ flesh. When even a small need arises for the humble, there is no reliance on self/ flesh but knows that the need rests entirely on the Lord, and looks to Him alone to meet it and it will be met.

What happens when one of these qualities is missing?

Not much!

• 4 months later...

In psalm 40:17 David first acnowledges his nothingness before God. He was a great King of his time. But he has the humility and acknowledges before God that he is poor and a needy man. David humbles himself before His God and knows that only God is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords and he is able to do all things. It is not man 's worthiness that brings us before God, but the love of God which redeems us from our sins. David does not walk around free after he has sinned,but in all humility falls on his knees and asks God the Father to help him.

It is his strong faith in God makes him run towards him. David knew his God well too well . He would have eariler episodes where he has confessed his sins and God delivered him. He always trusted God to do everything for Him. he never relied on his strength to do anything. He remembers his God and so keeps his faith and even though its tough on Him he walks towards God in faith knowing fully well that his Faith will reward him

You need absolute faith to run to God to know he can work in our lives and also at the same time go to Him with humility to tell him that we are nothing and He is my everything. You need both these qualities to stand before God and get prayers answered

David humbles himself in the presence of God, acknowledges he has sinned against His God. we find in the word of God in the Book of Proverbs that humility and fear of the Lord bring wealth honor and life. David who built a strong relationship with God has perfectly understood that God esteems the one who is humble and contrite in spirit. In his relationship with God, David had developed this virtue of humility. David was able to get many victories because he humbly recognised the fact that he can do all things only by the power and strength of his God. As he remained humble before God- he was filled with the mighty strength of God and this made David a man of strong faith.

when our hearts and minds are pure and when we acknowledge God is the source of all things are faith in God is also built up. Pride diminishes our faith in God and a proud man or woman is not able to give glory to God in all things. But when we choose to give glory to God and recognize that only when we remain in Him we can do all things we are able to put our trust in God.

when David came before the presence of God with this attitude of humility he was confident that God will forgive him and restore to him all that he is praying for.

Humility and faith are essential to have a close walk with God. God is able to trust us and reveal his plans to us and we are able to acheive God's purposes. we can do all things in Christ Jesus who strengthens us as we walk humbly with God. when one of this virtue is missing God is not glorified through our lives and are we are not able to live a abundant and victorious life.

• 4 weeks later...

When one is humble he regards other better than himself. when we ask something from someone we must ask with humility and not in pride. we must not command and ask from God and to ask from God we must have the faith and confidence in God that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us and we must have the faith that if God hears us then whatever we ask we know that we have what we asked of him and so when we ask and pray to God we must humble ourselves. one cannot ask in pride.

• 2 years later...

Humility is necessary so that we overcome the wrongs that we have done and faith is needed in order to believe that God will forgive us for our sins.

If we don’t have humility they we will let our pride direct in the direction that we should not go and we will not be forgiven for our sins. If faith is missing then we continue in our sins.

• 1 year later...

David in Psalm 51 talks about a broken and contrite heart (v 16,17). This is what God desires, the state of the heart, from within. He is not interested in an outward act of dedication of apparent dedication to God, if our heart is not right with him (Psalm 51:16). So when we come to God in humility, we realise our sinfulness, sometimes overwhelmingly. It is when we are in the midst of our dispare-we come to the end of ourselves. Just as the psalmist did, he then clings on to God and surrenders to him and realises that God has a plan for his life. The psalmist reaches out to God (v 13,16).

• 1 year later...

Both humility and faith are important not only in prayer but also in life. In the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector Jesus has taught us the importance of humility and the futility of pride. These two, the Pharisee and the tax collector, came into the temple to pray. The Pharisee in his prayer told  how good he was, the other said- God, have mercy on me a sinner. Jesus then I commented -
 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.” Luke 18: 9 - 14.

Both faith and humility are important. Faith is our trust and confidence in the Lord. What kind of friend are we if we do not trust the friend? The Lord God wants us as a friend and a confident, one who will love us and trust us in all circumstances.

The story off the Pharisee and the tax collector tells us of the importance is that the Lord God puts on humility. The Pharisee was very bold and described and outlined to God all the good things that he did. On the other hand the tax collector proclaimed to the Lord God In Prayer his wickedness and his inability to be good. According To Jesus humility like that of the tax collector will be rewarded.

• 4 months later...

If I am not humble when I ask for help from the Lord; then I am arrogant.  Lack of humility creates a demand or want.  It is like saying I deserve this, now give me what I want.  Therefore an expectation of assistance  sets us up for disappointment. However, when we go to the Lord in humbleness; we are saying I trust you.  I trust (have faith) that you will do what is best....not what I think is best.  We are saying lord you are sovereign, hear my plea, I trust you to do what is best for this situation.

• 9 months later...

Faith is trusting in someone or something you believe in. So the question we have to ask ourselves is this: Do we  have trust in God and have faith in God? The answer has to be yes to be the question when we are Christians. Humility is necessary because God resists the proud and won't answer the prayers of the proud at all. He answers the humble's prayer because they choose to humble themselves before Him and admit they are sinners to God. Just like in the parable of the Pharisee and tax collector. The tax collector was the more humble of the two men in the temple and his prayers would be answered. 

I believe that humility and faith are both necessary in order to communicate with God and get answered prayers. We have to be humble enough to know we cannot do anything on our own. We have to realize that we are poor and needy in spirit and that we are helpless without Him. Everything we do in our own strength is useless and often self-seeking and full of pride. God raises up the humble but puts down the haughty and prideful person. The one who thinks that he or she does not need God's help. He will not answer our prayers if we do not admit our need of Him. In order to get answers, we must have faith and believe that God is in control and He can do anything. Without faith, it is impossible to please Him. When either humility or faith is missing the person will not hear from God and his spiritual life will not grow.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble. It is only with humility we can submit to His will and handover the lordship of “self” to Him, so that He is enthroned in our lives as the Lord. Faith is the lingua franca of heaven. In Hebrews 11, we read that without faith it is impossible to please God. He who comes to Him must believe that He is and He is the rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. Both are necessary for our growth in the Lord.

If humility is missing, we become proud and Bible says that pride comes before a fall. It was pride that led to Lucifer’s fall. And God resists the proud. Without humility, faith cannot operate, for the proud thinks that it is he who makes things happen and is independent of the Lord. Faith will not be in the picture at all. If there is humility, but no faith then there is no expectation of a big God, who is above all your problems or situations. It will not be biblical humility. For biblical humility does not mean passivity but actively participating or partnering with God to accomplish His purposes through us.