JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Psalm 40

Q4. (Psalm 40:17) In this verse David combines both humility and faith in his prayer to God. Why are both humility and faith necessary? What happens when one of these qualities is missing?

Humility and faith are necessary, because they make us humble before God. It makes us to surrender our lives to Him realizing that we can not depend on our own strength and power for He is in control of ourselves . We come to believe that He is a loving God who will hear and listen to our petition and in His own timing He will response all our needs according to what is best for us.

Faith without humility will lead us to pride and self-righteousness. It will downcast ourselves that we don`t need God for help.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Humility and faith are definitely necessary when approaching the throne of grace. God will not, does not walk with those who are proud. Humility is being submissive, having meekness in knowing that we are nothing before the Lord. Faith is having complete trust and assurance that God is King of Kings and Lord of everything and that He is in control.

Without faith no man can please God. Therefore praying without one or the other just doesn't work. Humility and faith before our Lord is the confidence we are to have in Him.

Both humility and faith our important in our prayers to God because we need to remember our true state, that we are "poor and needy", while at the same time calling with confidence on God as our Help and Deliverer.

When we have humility without faith, we begin to doubt our self worth and wonder if God really cares. When we have faith without humility the result is pride and self centeredness.

Q4. (Psalm 40:17) In this verse David combines both humility and faith in his prayer to God. Why are both humility and faith necessary? What happens when one of these qualities is missing?

Just as much as it is impossible to please God without faith (Heb 11:1), so it is also impossible to please Him without a broken & a contrite spirit! "I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite.(Is 57:15)

"This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word.(Is 66:2)

When we surrender ourselves into God's hand then we are able to trust Him completely!

When one of these qualities is missing we fail to depend on God .We begin to 'trust in chariots and horses intsead of trusting in the name of the LORD our God'!(Ps 20:7)

We need both because without faith humility is worthless. If we have no reason to be reverant and humble in our circumstances what is the point of humility - it is pointless without faith. If you have faith but not humility it is easy to forget why you need faith. These two qualities eo-exist and support each other - without one the other becomes nul and void - a bit like our lives - without God we become people without passion, desire and purpose - mere beings - but not our potential that we were created to be.

While Davids humility shows his act of total surrender and trust to God, His Faith shows Gods willingness to answer his prayers because of his total hope and trust in God.

When one of these qualities are missing God's hand are not moved to answer our prayers.

• 4 weeks later...

They are necessary because you need to be humble to hear God and Faith to know he will answer in his time. If youare too proud your ears won't be open to listen and neither will your heart. When one of these qualities is missing you will miss what God is saying to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Humility and faith are both necessary when we apporoach God whether in diffulties or not. God is a Great, mighty, powerful and holy King. Therefore, we should humble ourselves before him. He is our deliverer, saviour, provider, protector and is merciful, loving, kind, gracious and will always meet us at the point of our needs. We should thus have faith in Him.

• 2 weeks later...

In order to believe and trust in God, we must first believe that He is much bigger and much more powerful then we are which takes humility in us, first, so we can then pray in faith trusting in Him as our great and Almighty God, the One who controls all the universe and has us in the palms of His hands so both our humility and our faith is necessary in order to pray to God and to expect an answer from Him to our prayers. Otherwise, if one of these qualities is missing, then we cannot expect an answer to our prayers and probably won

Have to have humility, we are human, God is not. We will make mistakes and to acknowledge that is necessary to recognize when we do need to ask for help or forgiveness. Faith is necessary because since we are human, we can't fix it. We must have faith in Christ to help us through our troubles.

Have to have humility, we are human, God is not. We will make mistakes and to acknowledge that is necessary to recognize when we do need to ask for help or forgiveness. Faith is necessary because since we are human, we can't fix it. We must have faith in Christ to help us through our troubles.

• 2 months later...

The less we think of ourselves, the more God will think upon us. The less we put trust in ourselves, the more we may trust in God for help and deliverance.

When either humility or faith is lacking, we cannot expect deliverance, we are leaning into our own understanding.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (Psalm 40:17) In this verse David combines both humility and faith in his prayer to God. Why are both humility and faith necessary?

We must have faith in order to pray to God and He wants us to be humble not prideful. If our pride takes over in prayer, God will not be listening.

What happens when one of these qualities is missing?

When either faith or humility is missing we are unable to commune with God. :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...

HUMILITY AND FAITH ARE BOTH NECESSARY IN PRAYER BECAUSE IN ORDER TO HAVE FAITH IN GOD TO DELIVER ME, I MUST FIRST HUMBLE MYSELF BEFORE HIM AND LOOK TO HIM AS MY SOURCE OF HELP.IF FAITH IN GOD IS MISSING, THEN MY PRAYER WONT GET ANSWERED SINCE WITHOUT FAITH IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO PLEASE GOD AND IT MEANS I'M TRUSTING IN MY OWN UNDERSTANDING FOR THE ANSWERS.IF I DONT APPROACH GOD WITH HUMILITY BUT WITH PRIDE IN MY HEART, MY PRAYERS WONT GET ANSWERED FOR GOD OPPOSES THE PROUD, BUT HE GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE.SO I CHOOSE TO HUMBLE MYSELF BECAUSE I WANT HIM TO POUR OUT HIS GRACE AND MERCY UPON ME AND MY FAMILY..GLORY.

• 4 weeks later...

Verse 17. Psalm 40

1. The less we think of ourselves the more God will think upon us.
  2. The less we put trust in ourselves the more we may trust in God for help and deliverance.
  3. The less delay in prayer and active efforts the sooner God will appear for us.
PAX

We must humility to relize that all things comes from God and We must have faith in the God to walk into our destiny, When one of those quailities are missing it set us up to rely on self instead of relying on God.

• 1 month later...

Humility and faith are necessary both because if the supplicant has not humility, he is not likely to be praying at all, but rather would think that he and not the Lord has life under control. Humility enables the supplicant to realize that he is "poor and needy." This is most evident in verse 12, when David confesses to the Lord, "...mine iniquities have taken hold of me, so that I am not able to look up;they are more than the hairs on mine head;therefore my heart faileth me."

Faith is necessary because if faith is not present with humility, the supplicant will not believe he is worthy of uplifting. David has faith in the Lord's redemption, despite his iniquities.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Humility w/o faith is like hydrogen w/o oxygen. Both parts are required for any thing to happen. One can't possibly think that their prayer will be answered when they don't have a faith in the one to whom they are asking. Also the Lord resists the proud. :wacko:

If we are not humble we could end up exalting ourselves above God. We need to remember that God is sovereign and Believe HIM. If we do not have faith it is impossible to please God. So we need both humility and faith to keep us open for blessings. If one quality is missing we are unbalanced in our relationship with God. Too prideful leaves us open for those fiery darts of satan, and if we are not believing God we are also open for doubt and unbelief which blocks blessings.

• 1 month later...

We have to humble ourselvess before God, when we do, we trust the Lord with everything in us. We can stand on our faith knowing that our Helper and Deliverer is with us, planning for our deliverance, God holds the plan for our life. We have to trust and believe God for that plan. Humility and faith gfo hand in hand. We are not at our best, our fullest in god if one of these is missing.

(Psalm 40:17) In this verse David combines both humility and faith in his prayer to God. Why are both humility and faith necessary? What happens when one of these qualities is missing? First I must say this is a powerful Psalm. When you go through so much pit fall in your life this is the Psalm that will humble you. I believe to be humble is to have faith you can't have one without the other. You see sometimes God allow us to get to the place when we have to become humble, he may be trying to tell us we are going the wrong direction, and place us back on the right road. Once we lose one of these qualities we are missing "God" blessing on our life. We must stay focus of what we are saying, doing, and wanting in our life. As for me I may sometime feel lonely but I have to focus on this one thing. It's not that I can ever be lonely because my Father in Heaven is always with me. This is a blessing to remember for me. So I humble myself like now and just get up and read His word which will bring my focus back on how blessed I'm that I still call talk with my God at 2:13am and not wake him up because He is always waiting to here from me.

• 1 month later...

ANS - Faith is built on utter dependence on God, which is built on a spirit of humility, knowing that apart from God we can do nothing. Moses was a man of great humility, burt also a man of great faith who walked and talked with God. To not have humility or faith would be putting confidence in our self or ego, which will always fail in the light of eternity.