JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Psalm 117

Q3. (Psalm 117 and Lamentations 3:22-23). Why are love and trustworthiness so important as the bedrock of the Old Testament faith? What kinds of terms does the New Testament use to talk about these characteristics? Can you think of any New Testament verses that speak of these themes?

Because he does love us and can be trusted with anything.

That he is steadfast aand gives mercy and is faithfull through all.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Psalm 117 and Lamentations 3:22-23). Why are love and trustworthiness so important as the bedrock of the Old Testament faith? What kinds of terms does the New Testament use to talk about these characteristics? Can you think of any New Testament verses that speak of these themes?

Love and trustworthiness are the basis of who God is. How could we serve a God who does not love us or that we could not trust. To Love HIM and to KNOW HIM we must first know that HE loves us and that HE is faithful to us. We NEED to know that we can trust HIM - with all of our heart, and lives.

Steadfast, kind, loving, compassionate, loving

Romans 8:35 "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, distress, persecution, famine, nakedness, peril, sword?

Romans 8:38 I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, angels, principalities, powers, things present or things to come..........shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

• 2 months later...

Q3. (Psalm 117 and Lamentations 3:22-23). Why are love and trustworthiness so important as the bedrock of the Old Testament faith?

Without love and trustworthiness there would have been no faith.

What kinds of terms does the New Testament use to talk about these characteristics?

Faithful, compassionate, truthful, and loving.

Can you think of any New Testament verses that speak of these themes?

Which verse speaks more about love than John 3:16 :rolleyes:

(Psalm 117 and Lamentations 3:22-23). Why are love and trustworthiness so important as the bedrock of the Old Testament faith?

When Israel says "Great is his love" thay are thinking of wwhat He has done for them. " I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt." When Israel say faithfulness (trustworthiness) , they are thinking of His great love that endures forever. They can trust that in times of trouble he will hide them and set them high upon a rock because He is their Redeemer.

What kinds of terms does the New Testament use to talk about these characteristics?

The cross and the resurrection.

Romans 15:11 Gentiles are called to praise the Lord for His merciful kindness and enduring truth.

Acts 17:25 And he is not served by human hands, as if He needed anything, because he gives hinself to all men life, breath and everything else.

• 4 months later...

Love and trustworthiness are the bedrock of the OT faith because these are the abiding characteristics of God.

In Psalm 130:3, the psalmist asks God, "If thou, O Lord, should mark iniquities, who shall stand?"

The Lord understands our natures, our wilfulness, stupidity, sinfulness, and loves us anyway. This is the "lovingkindness," spoken of oft by David in the psalms.

God is not only loving, He is trustworthy. The patriarchs and matriarchs of the OT knew that they could trust in the eternal and predictable nature of the Lord. He would not change and he was always there if sought, all they had to do is wait on the Him and trust Him and he would never forsake them. They trust him to see them through hardships and correction, to bless them, to help them be better and more godly people.

In seeking the Lord, they/we became more like Him. I think of Psalm 16:8. "I have set the Lord always before me;because He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved." In other places, the supplicant is described as sitting at the right hand of God, as being always in the presence of God, and God is described as being unmoveable. That strange and beautiful reciprocity, God is willing to share his characteristics of love and trustworthiness with His people if they seek his face.

I am reminded while writing this of I Peter 1:15-16, "But as he which has called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation, Because it is written, Be ye holy, for I am holy."

And also of Romans 8:38-39, "For I am reminded that neither death nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus Our Lord."

Of course, the ultimate act of love for us is his gift of His Son the Christ, and the sacrifice of Christ for us and our sins.

• 11 months later...

It is important because of God's compassion and faithfulness. God always brought Israel back to Him. He loves them that much not to forsake them. They are his people. In the New Testament, the word praise and mercy and kindness are used. I think Romans 15: 10-11.

• 3 weeks later...

Q3. (Psalm 117 and Lamentations 3:22-23). Why are love and trustworthiness so important as the bedrock of the Old Testament faith? What kinds of terms does the New Testament use to talk about these characteristics? Can you think of any New Testament verses that speak of these themes? Because of all the sin that was created in the world after the fall on Adam and Eve, God was still proving his Love for the people dispite the many that had a harden heart. If you can't love you can't trust. It would make no sense to say I trust you Lord but you can't love after all God is Love, and that faith of his love is what keep us in covernant with him daily. We must obey the ten commandment and keep his law. We should love one another as God loves us. But we must not have any other God before hime. Matthew 4 the temptation of Jesus in a way also speak of keeping the characteristics of God love and our faith. Even when Jesus was tempted he did exactly what we need to learn to do when evil comes in our path that is he address the commandments of God, he spoke of and show that no matter what devil I will do God will for my purpose and time and then after awhile he said to him Away from me Satan because he will only worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.

• 2 months later...

Q3. (Psalm 117 and Lamentations 3:22-23). Why are love and trustworthiness so important as the bedrock of the Old Testament faith?

ANS - Love and trustworthiness set the foundation for our New Testament faith, and our understanding of who God is. He wanted a nation who would love Him in return.

ANS - His grace, His love, His forgiveness, His Mercies, and His promises to us.

ANS - John 3:16; the book of Romans; Galatians 5:22, 23 - the fruits of the Spirit

Love - His motivation

Trustworthiness - without trust no faith

The whole new testament is about love

I think especially about Pauls love poem in Corinths 13

• 1 month later...

In the days of the old testament... Jesus had not been on earth yet, and has not died for their sins. So it was important that the people knew about God's love and trustworthiness.. Complete faith.

The son on the cross is an example of his love, and his forever showing up when we call upon his name is for the trustworthiness.

John 14:1-4

Love without trustworthiness is love with clay feet - it can't be depended on to hold you up when the weight of life becomes heavy. Trustworthiness without love is a contract without heart. But the God revealed in the Old Testament (and in the New) is a God abundant in covenantal relationship with us, not contractual.

That the Great I AM desires nothing less or more of me than that I desire a relationship with him is incredible! He has done, is doing and will continue to do all that it takes for me to develop the trust in Him so that my desire for relationship with Him will increase. (It's not a secret that He is working to build that trusting, loving relationship with YOU too!)

Romans 8:28 is just one of the New Testament verses that speaks to the themes of love and trustworthiness. Without the recognition of God's love and trustworthiness in your life, this verse is hard if not impossible to understand.

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose. Romans 8:28

Love and trustworthiness are critical emotions and reactions for humans of any era n history and especially today in 2010. Thye can lead to lower divorce rates, when the people lean on the Lord and trust first in his love.

John, Luke, and Paul use the term trustworthiness several times: Luke 16 and 19, and 1 Corinthians, 1 and 2 Timothy, a Revelations 21 and 22.

This is a critical part of trusting God.

• 3 months later...

Love and trustworthiness go hand in hand, they are what holds a relationship together. God wants us to love Him, we need to trust Him when we do love Him so that when He asks something of us we can step out in faith knowing that He will still love us.

1 Corinthians 13:13 1 Timothy 1:5

1 John 4:8 - He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

• 2 months later...

Love and Trustworthiness is important because you need love to have trustiworthiness without love how can you have trustiworthiness and without trustiworthiness how can you have love because you need both.

The new testiment use faith, hope. One verse that talk about hope is Hebrew 10:23

• 3 weeks later...

Because it helps us believe,increases our faith. He loves us with a neverending love. The degree of my Father's doesn't change, It is the same day after day.

1Corinthians 1:4 God is faithful.

• 3 weeks later...

Love and trustworthiness is the foundation of the Old Testament because the people of Israel had to be completely dependent on God would protect, sustain and deliver them.

The love of God was the basis for everything that God did.

Some terms in the New Testament for love: mercy,pure heart; or trustworthiness is faithfulness, steadfastness

For God loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believed in him should have everlasting life. John 3:17

But God demonstrates his love for us in this while we were yet sinners Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Trust in God, Trust also in Me John 14:1

Steadfast, enduring, constant, lovingkindness, merciful love (ḥesed)

Compassion, tender mercy, deep, tender love (raḥăm

Love and trustworthiness is the foundation of the Old Testament because the people of Israel had to be completely dependent on God would protect, sustain and deliver them.

The love of God was the basis for everything that God did.

Some terms in the New Testament for love: mercy,pure heart, compassion; or trustworthiness is faithfulness, steadfastness

For God loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believed in him should have everlasting life. John 3:17

But God demonstrates his love for us in this while we were yet sinners Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Trust in God, Trust also in Me John 14:1

• 2 months later...

A3. (Psalm 117 and Lamentations 3:22-23)

Love is important because a loving mindset is the only one to make good decisions in. And trustworthiness is important because without being honest and straight forward a person would become so diluted that they wouldn't even know the truth about basic personal things any more.

truth, love, etc...not really

Q3. (Psalm 117 and Lamentations 3:22-23).

Why are love and trustworthiness so important as the bedrock of the Old Testament faith?

The foundations of our faith are His love and His faithfulness. God is love and God loved before creation, Jesus says in John 17:24b,

• 2 weeks later...

They needed to know, just as we need to know today, that God is love and that He can be trusted. Faith hinges on those two things. In the New Testament, these characteristics are described as compassion, mercy, love, etc. In Matthew 18:33 Jesus said, "Shouldn't you have mercy on your fellow servant just as I had mercy on you?" II Corinthians 1:3 talks about God as the "father of compassion." He is still loving and trustworthy today.

• 3 weeks later...

Question (3) (Psalm 117 and Lamentations 3:22-23) God's mercies are new each day. Truth, love, and trustworthiness are important because as children of God, we must be like Him. God is full of mercy and compassion. God is faithful to His WORD and all of His promises.

(Eph 2:4-5) God is rich in mercy and has great love and loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace we have been saved).

• 6 months later...

The Lord was laying the foundation for relationship with His people, and there cannot be anything but fear in a relationship which is not based on love and trustworthiness! Those qualities are Who He is and He wants honest, authentic relationship based on His love and our ability to trust Him. I feel refreshed after reading those verses this morning....Ahhhhh."Because of His mercy and loving kindness and His tender compassion which fails not, we are not consumed...They are new and fresh every morning, and abundant is Your stability and faithfulness!" We are drawn into Him in those words! We can take them to the bank, so to speak! They are His forever qualities!

Grace, mercy, loving-kindness, steadfastness, faithful and true, Redemption, Sanctification, Justified, Forgiven, everlasting love, destiny, eternal life with Him, He called us, we are chosen, glorified and raised to a heavenly dignity or state of being, beloved, sons and daughters of the living God, adopted into Him, His shed blood, death and resurrection.

I have loved you, just as the Father has loved Me; abide in My love. Jn 15:9

The Father himself tenderly loves you because you have loved Me and believed that I came from the Father. Jn 16:27

Jesus Christ the faithful and trustworthy Witness, the Firstborn of the dead and the Prince, Ruler of the kings of the earth. To Him Who ever loves us and has once for all loosed and freed us from our sins by His own blood. Rev. 1:5

I am persuaded beyond any doubt that neither death nor life nor angels nor principalities, nor things impending and threatening, nor things to come nor powers nor height, nor depth nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord! Rom 8:38,39.

• 3 years later...

I think that love and trustworthiness is so important as the bedrock of the Old Testament faith because there was a lot of turmoil in those days. The kings couldn’t be counted on to do the best for the people and they didn’t love them. So to know that we have a heavenly Father that has control was important that he was dependent and loved us.

• 11 months later...

I hear people talk of the law of the Old Testament and love and grace of the new. Even in the old testament God shows his love and grace toward his people and the other nations. Abraham's faith in God "...was credited to him as righteousness" (Romans 4:21,22). Love and trustworthiness was the bedrock of the Old Testament faith because it is the nature of God.

The New Testament carries on the theme- "God is love" (1John 4:8)-one verse of many. There are also many references of Jesus, steadfast. He does not change. He is the rock. He is the cornerstone (1Peter 2:4-8).

• 1 year later...

Love and worthiness go hand in hand.  Without worthiness you cannot love.,. Because there would be no trust and without trust we would not find God deserving of our love and praise.  Thus was important to the people of the Old Testament times, because they needed God to get them through their tough times.  Someone who was steadfast and with them always. Maths New Testament speaks of love, trust, faithfulness, steadfast, everlasting, forever and ever, ever faithful.