JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Mary's Question to the Angel

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Luke 1:34) In what way does Mary's "How?" question (1:34) to the angel's declaration differ from Zechariah's "How?" question (1:18)? Why was Mary rewarded and Zechariah disciplined?

Mary's "how" question seems to have the undertone of- yes I believe, but I just don't understand how it is going to happen since I have not 'known' a man. On the other hand, Zechariah's "how" is more of a challenge for the angel to prove that this miracle can be done; he(Zechariah) just doesn't believe this message.

Therefore, it boils down to belief. Mary believed, although she didn't understand, and was rewarded. Zechariah did not believe the message from God and was therefore disciplined.

Mary's "how" question differed by she was just a child and wasn't sure how it would happen. Zechariah's "how" question was in disbelief that it couldn't happen because they were too old. Mary was rewarded because she just belived and took it for what the angel said. Zechairah was disciplined because he didn't belive and it was like he was dearing God to prove it.

18 And Zacharias said to the angel, "How shall I know this? For I am an old man, and my wife is well advanced in years.

Zacharius, being of the tribe of Levi, and aware of the history of his people, had to know about the miracle of Abraham and Sarah's son Isaac. A precedence had been set concerning this kind of divine intervention. Zacharius' response seemed to be ladened with doubt, rather than trusting faith. Without faith it is impossible to please God ( Hebrews 11:6) It doesn't seem that God was too pleased with Zacharius' response.

Mary, on the other hand, seem to be asking a legitimate question.

34 Then Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I do not know a man?"

When the angle answered, vs 37 For with God nothing will be impossible."

Mary's response showed that she was ready to embrace God's word to her and God's will for her...

38 Then Mary said, "Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word."

Mary's how question differed from Zechariah's how in that Mary was asking in belief anf aith that God could perform the impossible,she wanted to know how it would happen. Zechariah asked in unbelief with an attitude of prove it to me.

Mary was rewarded for her faith that God could do the impossible because He said He would. Zechariah was disciplined because he did not believe God would do the impossible even though He said He would.

Q2. (Luke 1:34)

In what way does Mary's "How?" question (1:34) to the angel's declaration differ from Zechariah's "How?" question (1:18)?

My first thought is that God's is fair and loving and his way of responding to Zechariah's and Mary's questions is the "right" response. Perhaps, Zechariah's question was in response to lack of faith and Mary's question was in faith but also awe. I wonder how this could happen?

Zechariah asked the question "How can I be sure of this?" This was a question of doubt and disbelief - of prove it to me. Mary asked the question of "How can this be?" Mary didn't question what the angel was telling her but seeking understanding of it.

Mary was rewarded for her faith whil Zechariah was disciplined for his lack of faith.

Q2. (Luke 1:34) In what way does Mary's "How?" question (1:34) to the angel's declaration differ from Zechariah's "How?" question (1:18)? Why was Mary rewarded and Zechariah disciplined?

Mary was young and a virgin and said she had not known a man and could not believe it was so. Zechariah and his wife were both old and too were surprised, though they had lived a long life, both of them.

Mary's "How" question was a question arose from faith and Zechariah's question was because of doubt or disbelief in what God was capable of doing.

Even though both Mary and Zechariah question what Gabriel is saying they are coming from 2 different premises... Mary is a young maiden in every sense of the word and asks from a place of wonder and curiousity, she is not challenging the possibility... Her heart is open to it...

Zechariah has had a lifetime to reinforce his faith and yet when he hears what Gabriel has to say he questions the possibility- asks for proof to confirm its truth - and gets it... "and now you will be silent and not able to speak until the day this happens..." NIVLuke 1:20

...froma human perspective I can have compassion for old Zechariah but I think if an angel showed up to tell me about it, I'd (like to think I'd...) be prepared to expect the unexpected?! ;):)

My husband and I had a "discussion" about this question. He said "Zechariah asked the same question that Mary did: 'How?' and shouldn't be punished if Mary wasn't." I think there are several differences, though. First of all, God knows our hearts. He evidently saw innocence and purity in Mary's heart, and disbelief in Zechariah's. Second, Zechariah had evidently been praying and Gabriel was there with his answer. Don't we all do that sometime? We pray for an answer from God, and when we get it, we either don't understand the answer or don't accept it. The third thing: Zechariah was an old priest, steeped in Jewish theology. For him to question "how" God could make him and his wife parents at their age means that he must not have applied what he had learned about the likes of Abraham and Sarah: For God, all things are possible.

Zechariah's "How?" arose from unbelief, and he was also sarcastic, so he did't speak till the baby was born and he had to name him.

Mary's "How?" was different - she simply wanted to understand how can it be because he was never intimate with man. As she accepted God's will and was humble in her attitude she get the answer.

Zechariah outright did not believe the Angel whereas Mary believed and only wanted to know how she would become pregnant because she was a virgin. Mary was rewarded because of her faith and obedience whereas Zechariah was disciplined for unbelief.

It seems Mary was not questioning the fact that it was going to happen but the method. She had already accepted Gods message and was a joyful participant whereas Zechariah seems to doubt that it can happen. He speaks in disbelief.

Gabriel, the shining messenger of God, came to both Mary and Zechariah to give them good tidings, the most phenomenal messages to ever grace human ears. Zechariah

2a) Zechariah 1:18 Then lifted I up mine eyes, and saw, and behold four horns.

Zechariah 1:19 And I said unto the angel that talked with me, What be these? And he answered me, These are the horns which have scattered Judah, Israel, and Jerusalem.

Luke 1:34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?

2b) They did not cover the same issues

Q2. (Luke 1:34) In what way does Mary's "How?" question (1:34) to the angel's declaration differ from Zechariah's "How?" question (1:18)?

Mary did not question Gabriel's statement as Zacharias did, she questioned the methodology.

Why was Mary rewarded and Zechariah disciplined?

Mary believed what the angel said, Zechariah believed not the words spoken.

Mary's response is amazingly humble and submissive, whilst Zechariah's response is doubtful and unreceptive.

I have read this story my whole life, and I never caught this amazing parallel of responses in the same biblical story. Mary's "How?" is an awed question of how God was to go about this miracle; Zechariah's "How?" seems to be an actual question of whether or not it would be done at all.

Whatever comes out of our mouths is a reflection of what is in our hearts- what an amazing example of how these two attitudes in this situation ended so differently.

The difference is that Mary's "how" was NOT out of disbelief but out of genuine wonder at how the Angels pronouncement was going to be achieved. On the other hand Zechariah's "how" was more out of disbelief because from a human point of view what the Angel was pronouncing was impossible!

Mary was rewarded for her belief while Zechariah was punished for his unbelief.

This is something that has always kind of bothered me. I think of how Sarah laughed (and then tried to deny it) in Genesis 18 when the Lord said she would have a baby by the following year. You would think that kind of scoffing and denial would earn her a little divine retribution--especially after the blatant lack of faith she exhibited in giving Hagar to Abraham when she got impatient for God's early promise to be fulfilled.

How different is that from what happened to Zechariah? Actually, Zechariah had lived a righteous life with none of the acts of faithlessness recorded about Abraham and Sarah. Isn't he allowed ONE question? I am sure he may have been a little skeptical after years of the shame of barrenness, or maybe he was just hoping against hope. Maybe he was thinking of Elizabeth and wanted to make sure when he told her that he had something to back it up. He put God to the test--but so did Gideon in Judges 6 (who then was not satisfied with the results, and God humored him with a few more signs). I am not sure he even trusted his own eyes--perhaps he wondered if he had eaten some bad fish and was looking to substantiate his vision. I guess I identify strongly with Zechariah. I probably would have done the same thing.

Mary's treatment seems more like what I would expect of God's merciful dealings with those God chooses for special work. She is basically a child with a child's sense of wonder and inquisitiveness. She is not questioning that God CAN give her a child, she just wants to know how.

I am not sure it is really fair to compare Zechariah with Mary--sure, Zechariah should have "known better," but when compared to other Biblical figures who should have known better, God was a lot more patient with worse offenders than he was with Zechariah, with the exception, perhaps, of Uzzah in 2 Sam 6.

As a few others have pointed out, though, the period of silence was probably for Zechariah's good. It is important for us to remember that even when our doubt gets us into trouble, God is still working for our good, even through the negative consequences of our faithlessness, and that our hardships instruct us and form us.