JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Mary's Question to the Angel

Q2. (Luke 1:34) In what way does Mary's "How?" question (1:34) to the angel's declaration differ from Zechariah's "How?" question (1:18)? Why was Mary rewarded and Zechariah disciplined?

Mary was curious and Zachariah had disbelief.

There was no question in Mary's mind that God could do what he says he could do. She trusted. Zachariah was a schooled man of God reading/doing/serving. He showed total lack of faith.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Luke 1:34) In what way does Mary's "How?" question (1:34) to the angel's declaration differ from Zechariah's "How?" question (1:18)? Why was Mary rewarded and Zechariah disciplined?

It is believed that Mary, unlike Zechariah, asks her question out of awe and merely wants to know how the subject of the message is to be accomplished. Zechariah, however, doesn't believe the message that is proclaimed to him, and is therefore struck dumb. Mary believes that the message proclaimed to her is true, while Zechariah doesn't believe the message proclaimed to him, maybe because he feels it is too good to be true.

• 2 weeks later...

Mary's was a question of Hope, and Zechariah was a reply of doubt.

Mary was rewarded because she believe, and Zechariah disciplined because he did not believe the words of the angel.

It seems that Zechariah was asking "how do I know that what you say is true and how can such a miracle really happen?" Mary's question is more like she believes the angel but wants a little information about the mechanism by which the miracle would happen.

Mary was rewarded for her belief in God and His messenger, while Zechariah was punished for his unbelief and his asking for proof.

• 9 months later...

Mary's question was asked from faith. She never doubted what was going to happen but how.

Zechariah's question was asked in dout. He doubted that this could happen to an older woman.

• 1 month later...

When visited by an angel, both Mary and Zechariah are smart enough to know that the circumstances of their lives seem to contradict what the angel has said will happen. Their responses seem to indicate the depth of their faith in God's power, though. When Mary receives her angel visitation, she wans to know "how" she could become pregnant without having sex with a man. She know what needs to happen - normally - and she knows it hasn't happened yet. The text suggests to us - and maybe I'm just reading into it more than this - that Mary trusted that what she was told could come true, but was unclear about "how". In contrast, Zechariah's "how" question seems more doubtful in tone - he wants to know what proof he will receive that the angel's statement is true.

In what way does Mary's "How?" question (1:34) to the angel's declaration differ from Zechariah's "How?" question (1:18)?

Mary's "How" was really one of wondering how this would be accomplished...not doubt that it could happen. She knew that she had not been with a man....so it was valid question. Zechariah's "How" was one of disbelief and he demanded how he could know this to be certain.

Why was Mary rewarded and Zechariah disciplined?

Mary was rewarded because she believed and trusted God....Zechariah was disciplined for his lack of faith.

Mary's faith is affirmed in a few verses with her statement of "Let it be to me according to your word." She doesn't understand but is saying yes and has come into agreement. For Zacharias the basic sentiment is "impossible". We know that God looks on the heart. In Mary's heart faith has been perceived, while Zacharais' heart is unbelief. Had he not been miraculously silenced, he may not have cooperated with the miracle. Our hearts should be encouraged at the length God goes to in working His plan in our lives.

Mary's question of how was ask out of curiosity, wonderment and faith. Zechariah question was ask out of doubt.And this is the reason Mary was rewarded because of her great faith and Zechariah disciplined because of his lack of faith unseen, he wanted proof. This made God angry. Mary loved and trusted God so much that she accepted what the angel Gabriel told her and did not ask for prove from God.

Mary's response was one of faith... of knowing that with God all things are possible and wondering how this applied to her. Zechariah's response was one that required God to prove Himself before Zechariah would believe. What a difference. A priest who ministered before the altar of God and who knew God's word and work verus a teenager, a girl, a peasant who did not have those advantages.

2.a. Mary's How was "How can this be, I am a virgin"? Zechariah's How was questioning the angel (unbelief) wanting proof....How can I be sure this will happen, I am an old man and my wife is well along in years.

b. Mary was rewarded because she believed...saying "Let it be done unto me according to thy word".

Zechariah was in unbelief and was struck by not being able to speak until the child was born.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Mary did not ask for a sign, so this remark does not reflect unbelief. She accepts her role without question in VS 38, and thus is a model of faith even though she does not fully understand everything. The work of God in Mary introduces something unknown before or after: the birth into the human race of One who is both God and man. She was rewarded because she obeyed.

zacharias expresses his doubt and asked for a sign, a lack of faith that is addressed in VS 64 and 65. Zacharias completely ignored the divine source of the promise and the angelic messenger who delivered it. He was unworthy and did not obey.

• 1 month later...

I believe that Zacherias was disciplined because we can detect a spirit of doubt in his question to Gabriel. "How shall I know this? For I am an old man, and my wife is well advanced in years." Zacherias was a priest that served in the Temple and should of known full well that nothing is impossible for God. Mary's question was one of a young teenager with a limited knowledge of pregnancies, so, I believe her question was not of Gods ability to perform this miracle, but of how He would do it. In short, she was in awe of the Lord her God.

I agree it is the heart .Zechariah was looking for a sign as proof from God. Though Zechariah was a Priest in the temple and performed his duties as a Priest; you would expect a Priest to be close to the Lord' but his response was one of doubt and and questioning in disbelief. On the other hand Mary's response was one of faith and trust. Mary knew that even though it was humanly impossible to conceive this way, nothing is impossible for God. And as we read on in verse 38 her response WAS of faith and trust in saying: "I am the Lord's servant; may it be to me as you have said".

Mary had a pure heart that desired to please God and her question was one of wonder, not one of doubting that God could accomplish the miracle in her. She was willing to be used by Him in any way that He desired her to be used. Zechariah's question was a question of definite unbelief, where he did not believe in the possibility of Elizabeth's pregnancy in her old age and in his old age, so he was disciplined for his lack of faith.

I know that, while I desire to have the faith of Mary, I am more likely to have the unbelief of Zechariah. It is my prayer that I be always open to the move of God in my life and that I always be willing to be used of Him in whatever way He desires. May I respond to Him as Mary did: "Let it be done to me as You have said." Amen!

Mary had a pure heart that desired to please God and her question was one of wonder, not one of doubting that God could accomplish the miracle in her. She was willing to be used by Him in any way that He desired her to be used. Zechariah's question was a question of definite unbelief, where he did not believe in the possibility of Elizabeth's pregnancy in her old age and in his old age, so he was disciplined for his lack of faith.

I know that, while I desire to have the faith of Mary, I am more likely to have the unbelief of Zechariah. It is my prayer that I be always open to the move of God in my life and that I always be willing to be used of Him in whatever way He desires. May I respond to Him as Mary did: "Let it be done to me as You have said." Amen!

• 10 months later...

Due to his attitude that miracles just don't happen and wanting God to prove what was said

zachariah's reply was of un belief . Where as Mary replied out of faith she asked questions of God but they were out of

how this could happen but did not ask for proof just said yes accepting God would do as he said and take her thru the

suffering of scorn of what people would think.

Q2. (Luke 1:34)

In what way does Mary's "How?" question (1:34) to the angel's declaration differ from Zechariah's "How?" question (1:18)?

Mary believed and she was just asking how that was going to happen since she knew that she had not known a man yet. She was willing and eager to obey. Zechariah asked “how” in disbelief. He told the angel to prove it to him. Mary told the angel do with me as you have said. Is that the difference between the faith of a child verses the faith of an older, intellectual person?

Why was Mary rewarded and Zechariah disciplined?

Mary was rewarded because she believed because of her faith. Zechariah was disciplined because he had a disbelieving attitude and said for the angel to proof it to him. God punishes us for our attitude as much as the physical sin.

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=710