JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Mary's Response to the Angel

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolleyes:

Q4. (Luke 1:38)

What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel?

'I am the Lord's servant,' Mary answered. 'May it be to me as you have said.' Then the angel left her." (1:38) Mary was ready and willing

What can we learn from her response for our own lives?

In our own lives, we need to respond in a positive way to wherever God leads us.

In what sense was Mary's response an "informed consent"?

"The angel answered, 'The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.'" (1:35)

The angel told her that that the one born to her would be called the Son of God.

When we respond to God, what do we consent to?

We consent to do whatever God's will is for us in

grateful response to His love for us.

Q4. (Luke 1:38) What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel? What can we learn from her response for our own lives? In what sense was Mary's response an "informed consent"? When we respond to God, what do we consent to?

I can almost hear the same resolve that Queen Esther had when she said, "if I perish, I perish" (Esther 4:16). These are statements of faith, obedience and resolve.

The Apostle Paul in Phil 3:12 was in hot pursuit of that for which he had been chosen. He said, "Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.

The will of God and the assignments given to His chosen should be embraced like this... Whatever you say, Lord, whatever you want... that's what I want, and that is what I will do. As Jesus said, "not my will but Yours be done." (Luke 22:42)

The willing and the obedient will eat the good of the land (Isa 1:19)

Q4. (Luke 1:38) What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel? What can we learn from her response for our own lives? In what sense was Mary's response an "informed consent"? When we respond to God, what do we consent to?

Essentially Mary believed that nothing is impossible with God and trusted that what the Angel prohpesied was going to come true with God's power. We too must learn from Mary. When we are faced with impossible situations in our daily lives we must trust that there is a God to whom there is nothing impossible.

Mary was given a situation that seemingly looked impossible. It was her option to believe or not. She could have used human standards to see the impossibility of the situation or realise the great power of God to go beyond the impossible situation. The choice was hers. It is her faith that made her choose correctly.

When we consent we are consenting to the power of God before whom there is nothing impossible. We are consenting to his awesome power (Mathhew 19:26)

Regardless how our situation my be or seem we still should believe God Word and be obedient. We can learn that we should live so God can use us and be ready to be used by Him. Believers are to be a light in a dark world. When we respopnd to God we are consenting to His will. We humble ourselves before God, read for faithful and obedient service. This should characterize every believer!

The essance of Mary's response was total submission. She trusted in God completely. Even though the stigma of conceiving a child out of wedlock would be attached.

We can learn a number of things from her repsonse but the most prevelent is, having enough faith to trust where God leads us. We may not always understand or for that matter want to follow his plan for us but, when we submit to his will, we can not fail.

Mary's informed consent Luke 1 38 "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word"

When we respond to God we consent to his will "Let thine will be done"

I can't imagine how many missed opportunties I have had in my life time by not submitting myself to God's will.

Q4. (Luke 1:38) What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel?

Mary, a young Jewish woman, a remnant, a true believer in the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, heard God's Word spoken and "faith" built up in her. (This is why we must be in the Word, so "faith" can build up in us) she was ready to be God's servant, such an honor, for she found favour with God.

In what sense was Mary's response an "informed consent"?

Luke 1:38 It was after Mary spoke the words of faith "I am the Lord's servant. Let everything you've said happen to me," that the conception took place. Without "faith" it is impossible to please God.

When we respond to God, what do we consent to?

To be a servant of His, stay in "faith" -- I think often of His words to me, "If you love me, keep my commandments." As a servant, I strive to love Him.

Mary's response was, I am the Lord's Servant...May it be to me as you have said." As Christians, we should follow Mary's example in responding positively when God's calls. Not running away from God or ignoring His call to action, purpose, or mission in our lives.

Mary's response was an informed consent due to the fact that Gabriel told her the how, what, when, where, and why of what God's plan for her and Jesus Christ, her son, was going to be.

When I gave my life to the Lord, I committed my life to follow Jesus Christ and made myself available to God for His purposes.

The essence of Mary's positive response to the angel is that her life is not her own,she belongs to God and His will be done in her life. She loves and trusts Him and knows He will never forsake her even when others do.

We should have the same attitude,one of submission to the one we belong to,He has bought us with a very high price and we can trust Him. We should love Him and want His will done in our life.

It was an informed consent in that God told her what was about to happen before He did it so she would have a chance to respond.

When we respond to God,we are consenting to His will being done in our life.

The essence of Mary's positive response to the angel is trust and faith in God. No matter what it seemed like and no matter how God was going to use her, Mary in essence gave an "informed consent" by agreeing to let God have His way with her.

When we respond to God, we consent to either let Him use us or not use us for His glory. I believe our answer should always be YES LORD!!

She is accepting this without any protest. Unfortunately, we usually have to put in our two cents worth. We want signs or reasons why we should do what God wants us to do. God is sure wonderful to let us dally around .....

Mary is an excellent example for us to follow. Do it and know that doing what is right can never be wrong.

Mary's response came out of a humble and obedient heart willing to serve truely the Lord with love. This teaches us to do the same in all situations. To obey God with love and put His will above ours. Mary responded really humbly although it was very hard. We should accept His will no matter how difficult it seems which doesn't happen always. We usually hesitate to surrender, but it's good to finally let go.

That SHE was sold out to God and trusted Him to do as He said. We can do the same as Mary and do whatever the Holy Spirit speaks into our hearts. Mary was God's servant and that is why she was chosen, as He knew her heart, to be the Mother Of Our Lord and Savior Jesus The Christ.

We consent to His Lordship and let Him work in us not us in the world.

Yes, I agree with everyone that this is true submission to the plans God had for Mary but she also placed unwavering trust and faith in God that He was going to take care of everything and her life would be not only spared but she would be "blessed among women." I believe that there is coming a day when we, as Christians, will be placed in a situation where we will have to take a stand and it very well could mean death if we choose to stand for Christ. Will we be able to have the same faith that Mary had when she was approached by the angel?

Mary's response showed her servants heart and willingness to submit to whatever God had for her. When she responded humbly and willingly she was in a sense saying "not my will but Yours be done", much like Jesus said in the Garden when He was praying.

When we respond to God we consent to be used by Him to be His witnesses, to "go and tell" and let Him use our lives for His glory.

Mary's response to the angel was one of complete submission, which is rare in the Biblical record. She doesn't bargain, she doesn't take things into her own hands, she just submits and lets things happen to her, knowing that it won't be easy and that it will be a huge responsibility. She submits as a servant, relinquishing all rights to self.

This is as nearly perfect model of obedience, next to Christ, as we can find in the Bible. She was aware of some of the initial hardships--bearing the shame without being able to explain or defend herself before her village, being at the mercy of Joseph--then there was also the unknown. But she didn't ask to know how it would turn out or what was in it for her; she just submitted.

These get right to the point in my life. I have a hard time giving up that "right to self," I guess. I get resentful that following God can be so difficult, misunderstood, and under appreciated. It is hard for me to remember that Jesus said "If anyone wants to be my disciple, let him deny himself, take up his cross and follow me." This is what we consent to. We have to remember that the cross is hard, and few of us will ever have to bear a cross as difficult as Christ's--or Mary's, or those of the early martyrs (or contemporary martyrs).

Mary's response was "I am your servant, let your will be done." Her response was complete faith in the Lord. Mary was raised in a God loving home. Her upbringing provided a background for her beliefs. When we follow the Lord, we do so in obedience and faith.

Mary's response was, as many have already said, one of complete belief, humility, and submission. She was ready to trust and follow after God, even though she knew the consequences of this pregnancy could easiliy be ridicule, isolation, rejection, even death by stoning.

We can apply this to our own lives by examining how we have reacted to what God has already asked us, commanded us, called us to do, as well as how we should better respond in the future. The responsibility that God asked Mary to bear jepardized her relationships with Joseph, her parents, her society, as well as jepardizing her own life (from an earthly standpoint). Many times, I think we feel like we'd be willing to follow God unconditionally when it makes sense, yet when it seems redicuous, we think, "God couldn't really be wanting me to do that, doesn't He see how important this relationship or that job is to me, and how if I lost that, God couldn't really use me as well any more?" We don't understand how much bigger his plans really are.

What do we consent to when we choose to follow?

Matt 10:22,24-25,28-39 And you will be hated of all men for My name's sake, but the one who endures to the end shall be kept safe... A disciple is not above his master, nor the servant above his lord. It is enough for the disciple that he is like his master, and the servant like his lord. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more those of his household?...And do not fear those who kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul. But rather fear Him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for an assarion? And one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Therefore do not fear, you are of more value than many sparrows. Then everyone who shall confess Me before men, I will confess him before My Father who is in Heaven. But whoever shall deny Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father in Heaven. Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth. I did not come to send peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a man's foes shall be those of his own household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take up his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me. He who finds his life shall lose it. And he who loses his life for My sake shall find it.

Mary responded with total submission and absolute surrender... she knew what was being asked of her and the consequences of her choice she simply put in God's hands... she was totally present in the moment and willing to say Yes to her God... no matter what the outcome, she believedher Heavenly Father would allow everything to unfold according to His will... When she said 'I am the Lord's servant' she sees her King as Lord and Master and her choice is to obey... that's where the power is, in the choice to say yes and trust...

So much courage...

Her responce to the angel was that she trusted God completly and that she must do what he says. Even if it isnt what she had in mind. She put her life on the line. We can learn alot from what mary said because sometimes what you have in mind for yourself and future, might not be what God has in mind for you. But you have the choice to decide if you want to trust God and step out of your comfort zone and have faith. Mary agreed to do whatever God wanted her to do. We should be the same way. We should do whatever God wants us to do. He knows all and see all. He knew us before the foundations of the Earth.

[font=Georgia]Q4. (Luke 1:38) What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel? What can we learn from her response for our own lives? In what sense was Mary's response an "informed consent"? When we respond to God, what do we consent to?

Mary's positive response was a demonstration of her service and proved that she was a true servant of the Lord. She was humble and obedient, willing and ready to serve God in whatever his will was for her. We should all remember that we too are servants and should spend our life in servitude to the Lord. Her response was one of an obedient child and we should remember that we should all be obedient children and should serve his will just as his Son Jesus was here to serve the will of the Father.[/font]

a. What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel?

Unswerving submission is the essence of Mary

Mary's response was remarkable especially since she was just a teenager. She trusted God with the outcome as well as what could happen. Mary understood what was before her the ridicule, loosing a husband before she ever really married even though being espoused was considered married. Total submission to be used by God.

After reading and meditating on this one point I am learning that I must trust God. Whatever situation I am placed in as a believer I must trust God and believe what He say about me.

When Mary agreed with what God said about her she allowed herself to be in His total care. When we respond to God we are consenting to be used in whatever way He see fit including the difficulties we may go through, what we feel and what others say. We must be confident that God will get the Glory!