JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Mary's Response to the Angel

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Luke 1:38) What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel? What can we learn from her response for our own lives? In what sense was Mary's response an "informed consent"? When we respond to God, what do we consent to?

I believe that Mary's response to the angel is one of total submission to the will of God. I am caught up sometimes by "urgings" from the Holy Spirit. I a m learning to obey them more and more as I get older and more mature in my christian walk. Sometimes I wonder how many blessings I have forfeited because my heart wasn't like Mary's! Mary's response was an informed consent because she asked questions in a loving and pure manner. I believe she would have consented even if the outcome could have been less favorable to her. She was already being refered to as "highly favored one." (verse 28).

When we respond to God we not only consent to His will,but even the possibility of that very will taking us out of our comfort zones.

Q4. (Luke 1:38) What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel? What can we learn from her response for our own lives? In what sense was Mary's response an "informed consent"? When we respond to God, what do we consent to?

submission to God

that we also should submit to God completely

she was told what would happen, and couldn't refuse, but submitted anyway

to God's will

The essence of Mary's response to the Lord was to give up her life as she knew it and to totally submit to His will in complete obedience, regardless of the effects this would have on her, both positive and negative, for she chose the will of God over any desires she may have or have had.

We can all learn a great deal from Mary in her complete submission to the Almighty God - especially that it is not about us and our desires, but that life is about pleasing God and meeting His desires and His plan for creation. Our purpose is to serve God, NOT for God to serve us, and I think, especially in the west, we often get that backwards.

While Mary was told that she would give birth to the Son of God, I do not think she, nor any one of us, could possibly conceive of what that could ever mean. It is mind-boggling even today to think that Jesus was born of a human being, that God came to us in human form.

When we respond to God, we consent to do the will of God if we respond in the affirmative, to help Him carry out His plan on earth; when we respond in the negative, we are saying, "No, I do not want to be a part of Your Master Plan." WOW! That is a phenomenal rebuke to God when I see it like that! I need to be so much more obedient than I have been.

Lord Jesus, I repent of my rebelliousness toward You and of my refusals to go along with Your Master Plans for my life and the lives of those I affect through my disobedience. Grant me Your strength to follow You obediently all the days of my life as Mary did. In Your holy name, Lord Jesus, I pray. Amen.

• 10 months later...

The essence of Mary's response is that she is the servant and God is the master. This teaches us that we have the choice to either be servant to the Most High God or servant to our fleshly lusts and desires. Mary's response was informed consent as the angel Gabriel had already told her what will happen to her son Jesus. When we respond to God, we are consenting to believing in Him, putting our lives in His hands and following His commandments.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (Luke 1:38)

What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel?

She tells the angel to do with her as he pleases, as he has spoken. Although she does not know how it will happen she totally trust that this is God's plan and he has control and knows what he is doing.

What can we learn from her response for our own lives?

To trust in God and have faith.

In what sense was Mary's response an "informed consent"?

She tells the angel to do with her as he pleases, as he has spoken. Again, she doesn't know how this will come about-will it hurt, how long will it take, does she need to do anything to prepare for this, ….but she knows that God can do anything and he knows the ending before the story even started.

When we respond to God, what do we consent to?

We are submitting to his plan and his will.
http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=712

Mary was totally devoted and faithful to the Lord. Any request made upon her life was embraced. She is the perfect example of a wonderful servant, having no second thought about herself. No wonder God showed her special favour! May we receive a full abundance of this obedience every time we read this passage!

Although mary was a young girl her upbringing would most certainly have included accepting the rule of a loving earthly father and we know she loved her God in a similsr way. However although shell shocked at what the angel had said to her she would have also been aware of the pottential consequences of accepting God's plan for her. Her response of as you say so may it be is therefore I believe 'informed consent'. Our consent to God's plan is to humbly acknowledge that God knows what is best for us as individuals and as planet earth and we consent to him bringing about changes in us and our earthly life direction.

Q4. (Luke 1:38) What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel?

Mary was agreeing to let God "have His way with her". I don't mean that in a coarse way of course. She agreed to become the handmaid of God. God would be her master and she His bondservant. Paul refers to that relationship between God and Christians.

The thing that pleases God most is our submission to His Divine will. No matter the cost to us, God desires our willingness to be the conduit for His power to work through us to further His Kingdom.

Well, the angel Gabriel laid it all out for her. I also believe that God, through the Holy Spirit, prepared Mary in advance for the annunciation. It is God who gives us faith in the first place. For Mary to so willingly accept her "mission" in this way indicates that God had prepared her heart and mind ahead of time. For something so vital to His plan for the redemption of Mankind to happen, God would make sure that everything fell into place. They say "The devil is in the details" but that's so far from the truth as to be laughable. GOD is in the details. Anyone who has experienced an extraordinary answer to prayer or been given a calling that seemed way out of their league yet still accomplished it can attest to how God controlled every little aspect of the situation to make sure it happened.

We consent to God having his way in our lives no matter the cost to us. At least in theory. Sometimes it takes many years to fully submit to God's will and to completely bury our own desires and ambitions.

Q4. (Luke 1:38) What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel?

Pure and simple: FAITH!

To do God's will, even if what He is asking is not 'convenient, or you don't understand it, trust God to lead you.

I am the Lord's servant. Says it all. She has complete confidence in God. She is his servant. She SERVES HIM.

I wish I could say, I always did what God willed. For me, fear gets in the way. I'm afraid to take a huge leap of faith when He ask me to do something in which I don't know the outcome. Even though I know everything works together for the good. I feel like I trust God,but, at time if the task is so huge, I get immobilized with fear. The devil gets his hooks in me in the way of fear. I'm working hard to get to know God's word and to listen and have the kind of faith Mary had. I know there are things right now in my life which He is asking me to address. I am praying to the Holy Spirit to give me the strength to take a giant leap of faith.

(Luke 1:38) What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel? What can we learn from her response for our own lives? In what sense was Mary's response an "informed consent"? When we respond to God, what do we consent to?

She is humble and obedient, accepting God's plan for her with great faith.

We can know that the Lord won't take us down a road that will lead us to harm. We can have faith that even though circumstances in our lives look bad that He will turn it to good (like the story of Soul Surfer).

Mary understands the situation and submits to God's plan.

Sometimes we are consenting to trials and difficult circumstances. We also acknowledge His sovereignty over us.

The essence of her response is unwavering, unconditional faith and trust in God. Knowing what her life could very well become, she agrees...without hesitation. We should learn to have that same frame of mind. If God asks...we should be ready to say yes.

She was "informed" in the sense that the angel did explain everything that God was asking and she had to have known how her community would react.

We respond to God's will.

Mary's positive response to the angel is her total submisstion to the will of God. We can leard from her response to seek daily to give ourselves completly to the will of God. Mary's consent was an "informed consent" because God revealed everything to her; the reasons for the birth and the how of the birth. When we respond to God we do so knowing that we have a God who is just, a God who loves us and a God who will always lead us in the path of righteouness. We consent to God's will.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (Luke 1:38)

What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel?

a. Mary's response was one of submissiion to the will of God.

Mary knew that there could be reactions to doing God's will, like

stoning or losing Joseph, but she chose to follow God's will. She

had strong faith in God.

b. Mary had complete faith in the Lord, she was humble, stating

"Iam the Lordd's servant "may it be to me as you have said".

We need to learn tobe more humble and do God's will as he tells us.

c. Mary was willing to follow God's will, knowing she faced rejection

from her family, her betrothed, her townspeople possibally even being

stoned for bearing a child out of wedlock.

Still she chose to follow God's will, not her own.

d. In responding to God, we concent to obedience, openly submit to Him

having conrol of our lives. We should trust Him to know what we need.

It will not be an easy path, but we have the Lord with us.

• 9 months later...

Mary's response to the Angel Gabriel was one of humble submission.  The angel who stands in the Lord's presence spoke to Mary and gave her a mission.  A mission to raise the Messiah.  God uses ordinary people to do extraordinary things.  Mary kind of knew what she was getting into.  She did not know of the "sword that would pierce her side", but carrying, and raising the Son of Man she knew about and accepted.  When we are open to God and do his bidding He does not leave us alone to fend.  When God calls us to do something He equips us to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

The essence of mary's response to the angel was total surrender to the will of God.

we need to completely surrender to God's plan and purposes he has for us than trying to run away from what he calls us to do.

Mary loved the Lord and she was willing to say yes to his plans. God as he strength she  was ready to face the opposition and rejection of her family and people arround and humbled  herself and was ready to accomplish  the tasks of the Lord Most High.

when we respond to God we consent to his thoughts and ways to be established over our lives that our own. we respond in faith and total rely on his strength to help us to do what he has called us to do for his glory.

Her quick agreement to be the Lord's servant is something we can all strive to do each day. Are we living a life that is centered on God, so that would be a natural conclusion? We agree to let God have his way with us.

The essence of Mary's positive response to the angel was that she was willing and to do the Lord's will, knowing the cost because she loved the Lord.

When we are willing to do what God asks we give God a chance to work a miracle, or save a soul.

Mary knew the cost and consented willingly.

We obey Him and leave the consequence up to HIm.  He will supply our needs.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q4. (Luke 1:38) What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel? What can we learn from her response for our own lives? In what sense was Mary's response an "informed consent"? When we respond to God, what do we consent to?

Mary told the angel that she was the Lord's servant meaning that she was willing to do whatever God asked her to do.

This should be our respond to God's call to service.

Mary was encouraged by the angel when he explained to her that nothing was impossible with God, so she she was well informed hence her response was an "informed consent".

When we respond to God, we should responding to obey whatever God says. So help me God.

• 2 weeks later...

Mary's decision was based on faith and submission to God. She certainly will be blessed but not before she will live, knowing that it will happen, with ridicule and scorn. Mary was willing to face terrible consequences by being obedient to God. Even after knowing the great cost, Mary chose to walk God's path for her--similar to the choices we have to make today of wether the easy way or God's way. This is true faith in God.

Mary asked 'How' which indicated that she believed what was being told her would happen? Although she still didn't comprehend the 'how' she still believed it.

Many times there things which I face and can't see how, but am learning that simply trusting is the better way.

• 2 weeks later...

the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel is that she accepted the job that God had given her and set her face resolutely to the task.

We can we learn from her response in our own lives that we can also respond favorably to a request from God and to do it with a stead fast face. God asks us to sometimes do a duty which will have unpleasant consequences. These to  we can also respond favorably.

Mary was informed by the angel and she would know the consequences in the community  She was possibility facing misunderstanding and rejection from her family, her betrothed, and her townspeople. For a betrothed woman to bear a child out of wedlock to someone not her husband could potentially even result in stoning. she knew the consequences and accepted.

We are accepting the consequences of the community.

the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel is that she accepted the job that God had given her and set her face resolutely to the task.

We can we learn from her response in our own lives that we can also respond favorably to a request from God and to do it with a stead fast face. God asks us to sometimes do a duty which will have unpleasant consequences. These to  we can also respond favorably.

Mary was informed by the angel and she would know the consequences in the community  She was possibility facing misunderstanding and rejection from her family, her betrothed, and her townspeople. For a betrothed woman to bear a child out of wedlock to someone not her husband could potentially even result in stoning. she knew the consequences and accepted.

winstony

Mary has taken a  leap of faith. She accepts the task that God has set before her without knowing exactly what will happen. I don't think you can call this an informed consent... it's really a faithful consent . She trusted in God and that was all she needed to know.