JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

3. The Name Jesus

Q3. (Matthew 1:21) What is the significance of the name Jesus? Why do you think the angel gave the name to both Mary (Luke 1:31) and Joseph independently?

Jesus means Yahweh Saves that he was going to give salavation, save people from eternal death. The

angle gave them both the name so that they knew what to name him and they would never forget who he was Yahweh" salvation embodied in human form.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The significance of the name Jesus is that it means Yahweh saves. Jesus would save His people from their sins.

The angel told both Mary and Joseph independently that jesus was to be His name because they would have no doubt that is what the angel said his name was to be and that His mission on earth would be to save people from their sins. His destiny was to save from eternal death,He was the Messiah!

Q3. (Matthew 1:21) What is the significance of the name Jesus? Why do you think the angel gave the name to both Mary (Luke 1:31) and Joseph independently?

1. The name Jesus means "Yahweh saves", because Jesus was sent to save the people from their sins.

2. To confirm with Joseph in case there was any doubt that Mary was the one saying this. Hearing this from an Angel would convence Joseph that the child was not from man but from God.

The significance of the name of Jesus is that it means "Yahweh saves." Jesus' name from birth would indicate His mission. He would become the Savior of mankind.

The angel probably gave the name Jesus to both Mary and Joseph independantly as confirmation. Both would know that the name Jesus would mean that Mary's baby was destined to be the Savior of the Jewish people and eventually mankind.

Q3. (Matthew 1:21) What is the significance of the name Jesus?

The name means "Yahweh saves." He was given this name because saving was to be His mission on earth.

Why do you think the angel gave the name to both Mary (Luke 1:31) and Joseph independently?

So there would be no question between Mary and Joseph as to what to name the baby, and so they wouldn

Jesus' name was a very clear indication of God's intended purpose for Him. He was not here to save Israel from Roman tyranny or anything of that nature. He was here to save them from their sin.

I think the angel may have told Joseph as well as Mary because in that time, women were not always considered as credible as men were, and it was a verification for not only Joseph, but for others who would hear of the angel's visit.

Many times, I think we also need to be reminded of what Jesus came to save us from. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in the physical realm that we put to much of an emphasis on how God provides for our earthly needs. We think, yes, of course He saved me from my sins, and that's all very well, but why isn't He saving me from this financial problem or relationship struggle? Rather than take His salvation for granted, we should take time to put in perspective what a sacrifice it was, and truly appreciate what He has done.

But the significance of God's insistence that he be named Jesus is not to honor a national hero, but because of the meaning of the name: "Yahweh saves."15

I had known that one of the gospels says that the name given to Jesus was Emmanual,God with us,but this is the first time I have heard that the name Jesus meant Yahweh saves, thanks Pastor.

I think that the angle gave it to both Joseph and Mary so that they would realize how important it was to God that they do as He commanded them. They were both Godly people and by both getting the same message they would know for sure that it was God speaking to them.

The significance of the name Jesus is with this name God want to state his mission to his people through Jesus, that just as the meaning of the name:

The significance of the name Jesus is with this name God want to state his mission to his people through Jesus, that just as the meaning of the name:

The boy's name Jesus \j(e)-sus\ is pronounced JEE-zus. It is of Hebrew origin, and its meaning is "the Lord is salvation".

it was imposed on our Lord by God's express order (Luke 1:31; Matthew 1:21), to foreshow that the Child was destined to "save his people from their sins.

when we look we find though the name was very common the meaning is essential...Jesus was not coming to save those from the romans the hope of the jews but to save mankind from sin.

I believe that Mary and Joseph recieved the name independently as God needed to touch each one. They needed to come to terms with the understanding of their son each personally. Joseph was taking on a tremendous and difficult task. Mary knew she had not conceived this child in the usual way...Joseph was believing this by faith only. God needed to work in the hearts of each one at their level. Together as a family they could later work as a group but at this time one to one with God was needed.

• 10 months later...

:rolleyes:The significance of the name Jesus is "Yahweh Saves." What a joy that Jesus came to save us.

I believe the message was given to both as confirmation to each that Jesus would be the Saviour. Both Mary and Joseph were Godly people and each was blessed with a big responsibility in the life of Our Savior. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Matthew 1:21) What is the significance of the name Jesus?

Jesus is the Greek form of the Hebrew Joshua, which means Savior. His name tells Who He Is and why He was sent to earth...amp. : "Which means He will save His people from their sins, that is, prevent them from failing and missing the true end and scope of life, which is God." His destiny was prophecied before He was born to both Mary and Joseph.

Why do you think the angel gave the name to both Mary (Luke 1:31) and Joseph independently?

I believe it was so that there would be no disagreement or conflict in the matter, and to confirm to them that this was indeed to be a miraculous birth of God's Son. (It would settle any doubts as to Who He Is, when the rough patches hit..they only had to speak His Name to recall the angel's visitation for Mary and the dream given to Joseph). Having God choose the name was a powerful reminder that this was His work and responsibility...they were just His vessels.

"Yahweh saves."

"... You are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins"

The name Jesus means salvation. He came to destroy the works of the devil and save His people from their sins. His destiny he fulfilled on the cross. Jesus' mission was not of an earthly mission...but a spiritual mission.

The angel gave the name to both Mary and Joseph independently because they both needed to know what His name meant for themselves so they would not forget it. When God speaks, you know it. Jesus Saves...Amen!

The name in Hebrew means "Yahweh Saves." This is an appropriate name for Jesus as he is our Saviour sent from the Father. I believe the Angel gave the name to Mary and Joseph independently so both would know the importance of the child Jesus, and what his destiny would be.

The name Jesus has been translated to mean 'Yaweh saves', God wanted His child to have this name on earth, to remind Mary and Joseph who they were raising. The angel came to Joseph and Mary separately to instruct them to name the child Jesus, so that they could share with each other this common, though separate experience. That they both had visions, and were both instructed to give the child the same name, adds credence to the notion that this vision was a visitation by an angel of the Lord.

• 2 weeks later...

The angel ordered Mary and Joseph to name their son the perfect name of Jesus because it means "Yahweh saves", which is exactly Jesus's mission. Jesus's mission is to save us from our sins.

I think that the angel told them independently because it would show just how important it was that this be carried out. The angel had their undivided attention, and it was even more personal this way. I think about a professor giving instructions to a class of 10, 30, or even 100 students. How many people walk away actually understanding the lesson/instructions the professor, in detail, had given them? There are distractions all around, and maybe even fear of asking a "stupid" question in front of others for clarity. Then I think about that same professor taking time out to go over the instructions of an assignment with each student, with undivided attention, and room for questions if needed. That student knows exactly what they are expected to do. At first, I did not fully understand the importance of the angel talking to Mary and Joseph, each on their own, until I looked at it this way. How powerful even the smallest act or detail is!

Jesus' Name means God Saves.

I think that God giving the name to both Mary and Joseph seperately was a way of confirming that it was indeed from Him.

• 3 weeks later...

The significance of the name Jesus was to let the world know that our Savior, the one to redeem us from our sins, that He saves us from our sins, the Anointed One, is being born. The angel gave Mary and Joseph the name independently so they would know it was from God.

• 8 months later...

The name Jesus is significant as it means God with Us

and Jesus was fully divine nature and Human nature in on Person He was here to fill in and die for us to take our

punishment so God His father's conscience would be free to

forgive mankind . The Sins of mankind would be paid for because when God looked at mankind the blood of Jesus would

cover all the sins we commit and He could accept us as his

children thru the intercession of Jesus.

I think the Angle told both Joseph and Mary separately thate

the Child was to be named Jesus to be a sign that they both

had recieved the message and it was like a confirmation to

them as a couple that yes the angle was from God and Yes that

was the name no question about it we both heard it.So it must

be correct and true

• 1 month later...

The greek name Lesous is the same as Yeshua in Hebrew meaning The Lord Shall Save which means Jesus. This is what Jesus did while He walked the earthand still does. He gave the name to them indepentently so they would know that the name came from God and not from themselves.