JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (Matthew 2:1-2; Numbers 24:17) What is the significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw? Why do you think the Magi came to find the Christ-child when they saw the star? In what way was does prophecy prefigure this event?

The star was a sign that Gods prophecy was being fulfilled . The magi came to see the Christ Child in order to worship HIM

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Matthew 2:1-2; Numbers 24:17) What is the significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw? Why do you think the Magi came to find the Christ-child when they saw the star? In what way was does prophecy prefigure this event?

The significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw is first, it is a sign that a king that was messiah was already born; second, it is a guide where the child was.

The Magi came to find the Christ-child when they saw the star because they wanted to worship him

Prophecy prefigures this event in a way that a star will come out of Jacob; a scepter will rise out of Israel, which Jewish communities in the East could consider and expected it as messianic.

In the book of Numbers 24:17,the star that will rise from Jacob is often thought to refer to the coming Messiah. It is this Prophecy that convinced the astrologers to travel to Israel to search for the baby Jesus.

God can use anything or anyone to accomplish His plans. God is the creator of everything, He created that special star to signal the arrival of His Son. Whatever the nature of the star, these wise men traveled thousands of miles searching for the King, and they found Him.

Matthew 2

1Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,

2Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.

Numbers 24

17I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth.

It is a fulfilling of Prophecy as stated in Numbers but it also shows that the word of God was alreading spreading across the nations and country. They had heard of the King to be born and went to see Him and worship Him. They had to be wise and knowledgeable men and also very religious. It was prophecied that a Sceptre would rise out of Isreal and Jesus fulfilled this and also the King of the Jews.

• 10 months later...

Q1. (Matthew 2:1-2; Numbers 24:17) What is the significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw?

The significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw was that it was a supernatural occurrence sent by God to signify the birth of the King of the Jews and it would lead the Wise men to Jesus. In the book of Numbers 24:17,the star that will rise from Jacob is often thought to refer to the coming Messiah. It is this Prophecy that convinced the astrologers to travel to Israel to search for the baby Jesus.

Why do you think the Magi came to find the Christ-child when they saw the star?

The Magi realized the spiritual significance of this event. The King of the Jews had been born. :rolleyes:

In what way does prophecy prefigure this event?

Number 24:17 prophesied this event and the Magi studied astrology and saw the change in the constellation.

The star is referred to as Christ's star, and signifies the birth of Christ. The Magi came to find the Christ-Child when they saw the star because the knew by prophecy, and because they were wise, that He was born and they wanted to worship Him.

Q1. (Matthew 2:1-2; Numbers 24:17) What is the significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw?

There are several things which come to mind...the first is, whatever the star was, it was significant enough to be perceived as a "sign", and as supernatural. The second, is that the magi were searching for something bigger than themselves...that age old hunger described as a God-shaped void which only Jesus can fill. That has been created in each man, woman and child. I've even seen pictures in science articles where there is a place in the frontal lobe of the brain which only "lights up" or becomes active when one prays. Then, they fulfilled prophecy and led to the fulfillment of others, such as Rachel weeping for her children, which happened after the magi alerted Herod that there had been a King-child born.

They were searching, and God always leads those who truly seek Him, to the Christ.They said they came to worship Him.

In what way was does prophecy prefigure this event?

Prophecy was given that the Messiah would be born in the city of David....Bethlehem..."The house of bread" (I love God's details...Jesus is the bread of life!) Messiah had been prophecied and the Jews were looking for Him. The virgin birth was prophecied. A star was spoken of in prophecy.

Was the star of Bethlehem a miraculous, supernatural event or a natural, yet remarkable celestial event, perhaps planned at the very beginning of Creation?

Since God's Son arrived as a baby in a manger, the star being a miraculous, supernatural event seems out of place to me. However, the idea that God planned and arranged certain heavenly bodies far in advance as a sign and a guide to the Magi completely amazes me!

At the same time, I think it is significant that the Magi not only recognized, but also followed the sign given by God. How is it that these foreign Magi from a far away land were the only ones (as far as we know) who correctly interpreted this astronomical sign in the heavens, visible in the skies for all the world to see?

The Magi were seekers, and when they found something, they acted and followed up on it. May we be as diligent in seeking and recognizing what God tells us, and as faithful in following where He leads us.

P.S. I found some very intriguing material about the Star of Bethlehem at www.bethlehemstar.net which I think is well worth checking out.

The Magi were scholars who evidently studied astronomy, but I think it may be very inappropriate to call them astrologers. Doesn't that give credibility to astrology?

There is a huge difference between interpreting a sign in the heavens and believing that the stars and planets affect our lives on earth. Here is a brief quote from www.bethlehemstar.net:

Astrology holds that stars exert forces on men. Astrology is "...form of divination based on the theory that the movement of the celestial bodies

The significance of the star is that it was in fact a supernatural star...different from all the rest...so significant that they wanted to follow the star...

Why do you think the Magi came to find the Christ-child when they saw the star? Yes.

In what way was does prophecy prefigure this event? The prophecy speaks of the star...and "points" the way to the Christ child.

• 5 weeks later...

The star was a sign that the King of the Jews was born, the Messiah. The star was a light from God giving the people the sign they believed would come. The Magi came to find Christ because they believed God that their king had been born. They brought gifts to worship and praise the new born king. The birth of Christ has been prophesied through out the whole Old Testament. The prophets had dreams. The prophesy was fulfilled.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I believe the star was a supernatural star that pointed to Jesus.

Why have we gone to the moon? I think there is a curiosity in men that drives them. God put that curiosity there and in this case I believe it motivated the magi to make a long and costly trip probably fraught with danger and hardship. They probably knew something of Jewish prophecy through Daniel when he was in Babylon. No doubt that because of Daniel's God given ability to interpret dreams he might have been a household name that spread and things he said and believed in would have been repeated also. I don't know that the magi were of the faith but through there study of astrology they would have known this was something different. And through there knowledge of prophecy from Jewish captives this journey would have been a rather compelling one to make.

I'm not sure what is wanted here. How does prophecy prefigure any event? Prophecy is given by God to those He wants so they and we can know the truth. It is there in plain words. Most people box things in a pretty package that they can handle and don't want anything that will upset there preconceived notions of how things will be. ( I also can be guilty of this). God gives prophecy for a couple reasons I believe. One is so that His people will be able to discern if something is of Him and another is that His Name will be glorified on earth, not necessarily in this order. I believe His glory is first in anything and everything. We should be the first to give Him glory as we love Him.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

The significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw was that a star was spoken of in prophecy. The Magi came to find the Christ-child when they saw the star because this was an event that was prophesied and they were looking towards the fulfillment. The prophecy promised a Messiah who will save the Jews. This event brought renewed hope to the Jews that the king they had waited for was born.

Q1 In those days, the people lived their lives directed by the sun, moon and stars.

When travelling on vast barren land, they calculated their directions and time by the

sun, moon and stars. The Magi most probably must have seen an unusual star with an

supernatural light. Being astrologers, they must have interpreted it to be some

thing of significance and majestic.

As stars appeared at night and in the wee hour of the morning, the Magi used the

light of the star as their guide. With their eyes of faith they must have sensed

that the light was in fact shining and guiding the paths for them to follow which

eventually led them to the babe in the stable.

God always used the prophets to prophecise to His people. The Magi must have heard

from their forefathers that God will be sending them a Savior and He will give them

a sign. With this unique Star and through the prophesy of Balaam it must have

confirmed their hope.

The Magi saw the same star that Balaam saw, who was a pagan prophet. Balaam saw the brillance and beauty of the Star and told of the Hebrew Messiah who was to come because God gave him this vision.The Magi saw this same Star.Somehow he knew as did the Magi that this Star represented the Christ.Being astrologers they noticed this Star and knew it had importance. They were probably believers of God and knew the scriptures, knowing what Balaam had prophesied about.Knowing this they were excited to go and see for themselves this marvel, this miricalalous happening.Balaam was given a vision from God of The Almighty who was to come, who would rule, who would come out of the line of Jacob,and be a scepter and be victorious over all His foes. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The wicked prophet Bileam - a nonjew - already talked about a special star.

Now other nonjews see a special star.

The starts don't tell us our future so horoscopes are humbug.

Even though, God can use communicationmethods that fit into people's mind.

God will do everything to make people find Jesus.

Jesus is also for the gentiles.

Matthew 2:1-2 -1After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem 2and asked, "Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star in the east and have come to worship him."

Numbers 24:17 - "I see him, but not now; I behold him, but not near. A star will come out of Jacob;

a scepter will rise out of Israel. He will crush the foreheads of Moab, the skulls of all the sons of Sheth.

In Matthew 2:2, it reads that they saw His star in the east. These magi or wise men were really the astronomers in that day. They studied the stars. These magi were searching for a messiah and they were aware that in the Old Testament that a messiah would be found by searching the stars. In Numbers 24:17 it stated

Q1. (Matthew 2:1-2; Numbers 24:17) What is the significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw?Why do you think the Magi came to find the Christ-child when they saw the star? In what way was does prophecy prefigure this event?

I can see how the prophesy of Balaam in Numbers 24 is a prophesy of the Mesiaah referring to Jesus as the star out of Jacob and the scepter rising out of Israel, and in fact Jesus is referred to as the morning star in Revelation. However, I have thought and thought about this and just don't see that the prophesy in Numbers is a prophesy of the star which led the wise men to seek Jesus and in fact Matthew doesn't refer to this prophesy, when you would have expected him to if he had it in mind. To me, the significance of the star is that it was a supernatural sign given by God to the 3 wise men, much like the pillar of cloud and fire given to the Israelites in the wilderness. I think that they had probably witnessed the appearance of some new star likely 2 years previously, in their own land and had seen it as a portent of the birth of the king of the Jews. It is interesting to me that it took 2 years for them to travel to Jerusalem, and maybe they had to carry out a lot of research to lead them to this conclusion. What is clear is that either they didn't at the point that they set off for Jerusalem know that the star pointed to the birth of the Messiah, or they weren't aware of the prophesy quoted by Matthew which clearly prophesies that the Messiah would be born in Bethlehem. In any event, when they got to Jerusalem, the star appears again and guides them from Jerusalem not only to Bethlehem but to the very house where Jesus was. This I believe to be supernatural guidance sent by God

There seems to be not a little uncertainty surrounding the details of this event. To me, the greatest significance is that God used a supernatural sign to lead people in his will. It's interesting that today many Christians (probably including myself) would outright reject this story as being based in the occult and therefore not only irrelevant but dangerous. However, God used these astrologers and their special sign as a large part of the Christmas story. We celebrate the wise men in songs and pageants and even dress our children like them! There is something humbling about that. It teaches me to not be so quick to judge and to see how God is working in the bigger picture.

On a side note, we are very disconnected with the natural world these days. However, almost all great events in the Bible take place outdoors and involve some sort of natural phenomenon.

What is the significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw?

It was a guide for the Magi (and possibly others) that they might be led to find Jesus so that they might worship him.

The Bible calls this star, HIS star. This was no ordinary star and the Magi knew this and it caused them to seek out Jesus, the Messiah.

In what way was does prophecy prefigure this event?

The Magi were well trained in astronomy and understood the significance of this star.

Q1. (Matthew 2:1-2; Numbers 24:17)

What is the significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw?

In what way was does prophecy pre-figure this event?

It was the Star of Bethlehem that made the Magi aware of the birth of our King. This birth was the most important event in the history of the world at the time. Although there are various scientific explanations about the appearance of this Star, I truly believe that its occurrence can only be explained as a miracle. The Magi perhaps became aware of the significance of the Star supernaturally. It could also be that they were familiar with OT prophesies concerning the Messiah

Balaam (whose name means " not of the people"), was in Numbers 23 was hired by Balak, king of Moab, (whose name means "devastator,") to curse Israel. Balaam has his eye opened, he hears the words of God, and sees the vision of the Almighty. He speaks, but not a curse, but instead, a blessing. Balaam proceeds to declare these words..."I see him, but not now; I behold him, but not near. A star shall come forth from Jacob, a scepter shall rise from Israel, And shall crush through the forehead of Moab, And tear down all the sons of Sheth."

A star shall come forth from Jacob. "Come" is Strong's 1869 and it is a verb that means, "to tread, bend, lead, march. (Qal) and (Hiphil) to cause to go, lead, march, tread."

A scepter shall rise from Israel. Scepter is Strong's 7626 and it means "a rod, staff, branch, offshoot."

1. Shall rise is Strong's 6965 is a verb meaning

a. (Qal)

1. to arise

2. to arise (hostile sense)

3. to arise, become powerful

4. to arise, come on the scene

5. to stand 1a

b. to maintain oneself 1a

c. to be established, be confirmed 1a

d. to stand, endure 1a

e. to be fixed 1a

f. to be valid 1a

g. to be proven 1a

h. to be fulfilled 1a

i. to persist 1a

j. to be set, be fixed

k. (Piel)

1. to fulfil

2. to confirm, ratify, establish, impose

l. (Polel) to raise up

m. (Hithpael) to raise oneself, rise up

n. (Hiphil)

1. to cause to arise, raise

2. to raise, set up, erect, build

3. to raise up, bring on the scene

4. to raise up, rouse, stir up, investigate

5. to raise up, constitute

6. to cause to stand, set, station, establish

7. to make binding

8. to carry out, give effect to

o. (Hophal) to be raised up

Taken from Crosswalk.com Bible Study tools.

Matthew 2: 1-2, states, "Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, magi from the east arrived in Jerusalem, saying, 'Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we say His star in the east and have come to worship Him.'"

Balaam had seen in the future, a star...leading, bending from Jacob. He saw a rod, staff, branch, scepter that would be established , confirmed and raised up, that would crush though the forehead of Moab and that would tear down the sons of Sheth.

Matthew tells us that the magi came to find a King of the Jews. They knew of His Kingship and that a star was in the sky...that led them to this King's house. I do not know if they knew the significance of the anointed One, or if they were there to greet and welcome a powerful King. They announce they are come to worship. Worship here is Strong's word 4352 which is a verb that means to "kiss the hand to (towards) one, in token of reverence...and in respect to the customs of the Persians...in meant to fall upon the knees and touch the ground with the forehead as a expression of profound reverence. It showed homage to one of superior rank. (Crosswalk.com Bible Study tools)