JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Beatitudes and Spiritual Fruit

I'm an old-timer to Bible Study but new to an online type. Live in KY with husband of 56 years, 2 adult children and 5 young adult grandchildren. Recently gave up teaching a Sunday School class at a Baptist Church and want to stay active in God's Word. Looking forward to the study.

The two parts of each Beatitude are (1) a characteristic/quality of a person and (2) the reward given to one with that quality. Jesus sometimes taught in paradoxes in order to contrast His unique teaching with that of the traditional Jewish teaching of the day. The qualities described in the Fruit of the Spirit are another way of describing the Beatitudes.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello.

I'm really hoping I understood this correctly. I am struggling with trying to grasp the bible (hence why I am in this class).

Q1. (Matthew 5:3-11) Each Beatitude consists of two parts.

What are these parts?

the first part is the humbled, yearning spirit that is needed to receive the kingdom of God. Those who are spiritually hurting or lacking are the one's who truly seek the blessings and promises of God.

the second part is the blessings received for those who are truly seeking God. I believe that Jesus was trying to show that their suffering was not in vain.

Why do you think Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox?

I think he made them a paradox to exhibit how those who are viewed as spiritually lower or down and struggling are not struggling in vain (as said above) and to show the positive God can bring to each negative the seeker is feeling/experiencing.

What is the relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)?

I think Galations "Fruit of the Spirit" is basically reiterating the same thing, that believing yourself to be full in spirit keeps you from truly seeking God and that we must all remember the blessings God promises.

I hope I got the point

• 3 weeks later...
Q1. (Matthew 5:3-11) Each Beatitude consists of two parts. What are these parts? Why do you think Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox? What is the relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)?

Why Two parts:

The Beatitudes parts seem to be to provide the following:

• Situation
  • Outcome or "hope"

For example in the first Beatitude it says "blessed or happy are the poor in spirit, for theirs in the kingdom of God or Heaven (depending on translation.) The first part is the listener situation. In this case it is the state of being poor in spirit. In others it is the state of mourning. But the second part provides us with hope, with outcome. If the listeners is mourning they will be comforted, if you thirst and hunger for righteousness, you will be given food to satisfy you.

Why use Paradox

Jesus was speaking to both the learned and the unlearned. His technique was to ensure that all would be able to understand. Talk about paradox! If you are meek, you will inherit the earth!! That is really a wake up call. People listening could not help but take notice and really ponder the words of Jesus!

Relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit

Examining what was the relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit as noted in Galatians was the highlight of Question 1. Jesus fulfills the prophesies. Jeremiah noted that the law of God would be written on our hearts. There is no way that we, as Christians, can have the fruits of the Spirit, or follow the Beatitudes without God's Spirit within us. For example, Verse 10 of Matthew's beatitude says "Blessed or Happy are those who are persecuted for righteous sake....' Who without the spirit of God could be blessed or happy in such a situation. One must rely on the Comforter that Jesus promised to realize this. The fruits of the Spirit and the blessing or happiness spoken of in the Beatitudes are only possible through the gift of the Comforter promised by and given to all the believe!!

The two parts of each beatitude are the category of person discussed and the blessings to be conferred upon them in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Mostly, I think it is classic Hebrew parallelism.

They both describe the things that should be characterized by followers of Jesus. When people look at us, these are the things they should see.

Jr,

I was intrigued by your statement that the format of the beatitudes was classic Hebrew parallelism. I know very little of Hebrew writing. Did rabbi's use this type of format in their teaching?

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...
Q1. (Matthew 5:3-11) Each Beatitude consists of two parts. What are these parts? Why do you think Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox? What is the relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)?

The beatitudes consist of a state of being and a blessing, but the two parts are conflicting ideas. Jesus may have made the Beatitudes a paradox for a number of reasons. One big reason that stands out is that Jesus himself was a paradox. The jews of that day (the pharisees and religious people of the day) were waiting on a messiah who was big and strong, rich, someone who at least superficially displayed the qualities of strength and power. Jesus was not like this. Also, people in that day were so used to judgement and criticism from the law and from religious leaders, when they were taught in the synagogues and by the religious leaders they were accustomed to being judged. This teaching from Jesus brought peace and comfort...What a difference!!!

The paradox of the beatitudes themselves may have been kind of a wake up call for the people of that day...and now. It causes you to stop and think. The sentiments are contrary to the attitudes of people all through time. We are to seek a change in heart and spirit, not money, power, strenth, fame.

When I read the fruit of the spirit I see that when we seek to be filled with the fruit of the spirit it produces the blessings in the beatitudes and vice versa --- when we experience the states of being in the beatitudes, it produces the fruit of the spirit and then too we are very blessed.

For example, when we are persecuted for our faith, it produces faithfulness, patience, longsuffering, and these fruits produce blessings in our lives.

Will have to think more on these questions, there is a lot to ponder : )

• 1 month later...

Question 1 A. I believe the Beatitudes two parts are: 1. the current condition of mans soul 2.the rewards you will receive by having faith in Jesus Christ, even though the current conditions of our souls are poor and bankrupt, we have been given a gift to receive the truth, to be in a living relationship with God, through His Son, today and the life after. Without faith we can not please God, only Jesus can save our souls and give us a new heart and spirit, we must follow Him in everyway of our lives.

B. He made the Beatituds a paradox to spark an interest in the people, to fulfill prophesy revealing heardened hearts etc. Also, to make people think, ponder on it's hidden meaning, etc. Like we are doing today. There are those who are serious and thirsty about learning God's truth and then there are those who just want the miracles and food, and not to serve but to be served. According to each individuals hunger for the truth, as you open your heart to God, you will find the truth as you seek and go deep into the diminsion of God's son, the Christ. Jesus said "the truth shall set you free, but there is a cost, you have to give yourself up."

C. The relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit, in my humble understanding is, in the Beatitudes Christ character reveals God's character; God is merciful, loving, forgiving, understanding, compassionate, pure in heart, all these attributes are in Christ, and if we are to follow and be like Christ we must open our hearts and receive Him, we will become like Him, and as His Spirit lives in us there will be Fruit of by His Spirit which is the physical manifestation of God's love poured out on all mankind, so that the people of the world may see and know God is here and very much alive today. People should be seeing God's fruit in our lives.

• 2 months later...

The first part mentions a group of persons, the second part a thing that will happen to them of which people think it is impossible. Jesus makes paradoxes to show us that we must not think the human way because for Hashem everything is different. He has to be radical all the way to make us think. The blessings will not happen in literally in life. They are the fruits of the spirit, figurative.

• 1 month later...

Each Beatitude is comprised of first a blessing/promise/theses and the second part provides the substantive rationale,albeit in paradoxical form. Paradox was a form of a common literary tool used in this culture during these times. It is powerful and illustrative, quickly and succinctly providing hope for the common person, in direct contrast to the pharasitical legalism most would have experienced. the first part contrasts the second part and the second part highlights and substantiates the first. As well as offering hope and instruction, this form of paradox also provides warning.

When we conform to His ways. as opposed to those of the world, with the help of the Holy Spirit, we begin to exhibit those characterolgical fruits of the Spirit. The promises in Beatitudes that are spoken to are the results of becoming sanctified in the ways of the Spirit, and bearing said characterological fruits.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am new at this but I have done quite a few Bible studies in groups and wanted to continue over the summer.

I see the Beatitudes as a way of making us think about what is the true meaning of a Christian life. It is often the opposite of wordly goals and ways. Jesus used the paradoxes to make us think about this. The fruits of the Spirit are very similar and are what we will receive with the help of the Spirit when we do our best to follow the Beatitudes.

The two parts would be identifying the recipient of the blessing and then the blessing itself.

Jesus taught in this way (in my humble opinion) to get them people that were listening to whom to think about what he was saying, and then apply to their lives (i.e. to see how to apply it to themselves). Similarily Jesus did a lot of teaching in parables, to get his listeners to think about what he was saying and trying to impart to them. I also believe that he did it for us to, to make us think about how and what he was saying and what impact it has on our daily lives.

• 4 weeks later...

The two parts of each Beautitude are 1) A Godly attitude, and 2) The results given to the one who has that attitude.

Jesus made each Beautitude a paradox because the paradoxes of God

• 3 weeks later...

When we look at the 2 parts of the/a Beatitude, we are asked to think, feel and be not of this world; we're asked to recognize we don't in any way merit the Grace of God, or anything He gives us. We are nothing. Too much reflection on this will make me depressed and give me the 2nd part, to be very sad and mourn my worthlessness. I have done this and it is not fun at all to see the real truth of this part, except that in this truth God will comfort us and if we are sincere He will give us the Spirit of Truth who helps us feel the "fruits of the spirit" This is the "Crazy Love" of God, unlike anything we could imagine. The inner peace we get, the advantage of being meek, mimicking Christ as best as we can, so he can use us in the kingdom.

It is amazing to feel and think about each beatitude and the reward associated with each one. God is amazing, and His love is like nothing we can get from another human. Praise God, let his will be done in us.

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (Matthew 5:3-11) Each Beatitude consists of two parts. What are these parts? The first part identifies the character or nature of the kind of person who Jesus is identifying and the second part identifies the gift which such a person shall receive from God. So for example a person who is meek will inherit the Earth

Why do you think Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox? God's mercy and grace to us is in itself a paradox. It just isn't logical in worldly terms that God should extend His grace to us, but He does. This paradox is highlighted in the Beatitudes

What is the relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)? They refer to the same types of characteristics. Compare for example meekness and gentleness, self control and merciful, peace and peacemakers etc etc

• 2 weeks later...

The first part in each Beatitude addresses the people who possess and act upon Christlike qualities. The second part is the promise that Jesus says each person will receive because of these actions.

Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox because he wanted to stress the fact that we Christians are not to live like the world. He wants to show us that when we act like Him, that reflection will be rewarded by Him.

The relationship between the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit is extremely similar. The both point to the fact that we as Christians should follow this path in order to imitate Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

The first part of the beatitude describes the quality to be found in believers. The latter part is the promise of spiritual benefit to the believer. The believer is to look to the promise past what they see with their eyes (Heb 11:39 -40). This is how the saints of the old testament responded to God. I think Jesus posed these in the form of a paradox because He wanted us to really think and consider them instead of quickly digesting them and moving on. Additionally, they are worded in such a way that one can never claim these qualities. In fact, to assess one's self with these attributes would be a negation of being poor in spirit which is the first listed possibly being the most important.

One facet of the paradox is that these qualities are not behaviours. We cannot own these qualities by simply "doing" them, they must be inherent within our character. The Spirit reveals all truth and righteousness to us as the Word cleanses us forming the fruit of the Spirit supernaturally.

• 6 months later...

The two parts to the Beatitudes, through the Holy Spirit we are driven to an action that we would normally not choose, through this course of action we receive a blessing from God that builds up our faith and strengthens our charactor. Our thinking is so entrenched in the world around us, we are taught worldly thinking from birth, Jesus had to teach us in a way that was unheard of, breaking the mold of this world, and creating a new way to think. We can only live this way when we are living our lives through The Holy Spirit, only through God this is possible.

• 2 months later...

The two parts of each Beatitude are:

first, a description of the character of those who are blessed by God, and

second, the blessing that God promises them.

I believe that Jesus made the Beatitudes in the form of a paradox for several reasons:

First, for a similar reason that Jesus taught in parables- people had to be eager to understand the meaning to "get it."

Second, to point out the contradictory nature of the results from the apparent circumstances from a worldly point of view.

I think that there is a relationship between the Beatitudes and the Fruit of the Spirit.

They each are describing the qualities that God wants to produce in the believer.

They are the kinds of attitudes and values that we can't produce on our own;

they can only be produced in us by the Spirit of God.

• 2 months later...

Q1:

On the surface, the two parts are 'who' and 'specific outcome' or reward. There is little difference between then and now in that the people who are identified in the first half are still the 'unimportant' and the assumed group in the second part are those most impressive and appealing to the world. Unfortunately, their reward is limited to earth.

The paradox involving the fruit of the spirit is simply a contrast between those that are rewarded by man and 'are seen of men' as opposed to those who surrender to God's descriptions and requirements of those who truly love Him.

• 6 months later...

In ancient times wisdom was sometimes translated by means of riddles, parables, or paradoxes. It was a means of communication well know in ancient days.

Speaking in this manner not only served as customary means of speaking but also served in a way which those listening to Jesus would understand. Jesus was teaching a message which was 'revolutionary' for it's time, it was very important that it be given in a way in which the multitudes listening could understand. Especially the Pharisees who thought they were above the 'common' man because of their legalistic ways. It was meant to shock( a paradox is an opinion or statement contrary to commonly accepted opinion) some in the crowd who undoubtedly thought Jesus' message to be quite revolutionary. I think Jesus spoke in this paradoxical way to contrast the qualities of good and evil to His listeners. To "grab" the attention of the crowds, and especially the Pharisees..It was imperative that He spoke in terms in which they could relate.

God used a Blessing ( a gift from Him to His creation) in the beginning of time when He first blessed the animals and then man, sending them forth and saying:

"Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it..." (Genesis 1:28). The first part of the beatitude was the blessing, the reward, received.

The second part of beatitude is given to those whom would receive the blessing, those in need would receive God's blessing, Those to whom The Great Physician was sent to heal, those whom the Great Teacher was sent to teach, the lost whom the Great Shepard was sent to find! ! The blessing was given to those in need of spiritual truth and healing.

The connection between the beatitudes and the fruits of the Spirit is that each one of Jesus blessings are for those who are seeking "fruits' ( wisdom, faith- in need of HELP, LOST)they are not for those who are already spiritually mature, they are for the ones who are in need of receiving spiritual blessings.

Those who are pure in heart will see God - and have goodness. ( a gift from the Holy Spirit)

Those who are peacemakers will be called sons of God - and have peace.

Those who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness have - self-control.

Those who are persecuted for the sake of Christ have - joy.

All the blessing given by Jesus in the Beatitudes can be and will be received through His Holy Spirit, if one seeks to know Him. In the fulness of Christ we will be blessed with the gift of the Spirit. Run the good race and stay firm in your faith and you will be blessed with the gift of the Holy Spirit.( which are many, not only the ones written about by Paul in Galatians 5.) The Spirit has many gifts to offer.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Matthew 5:3-11)

Each Beatitude consists of two parts. What are these parts?

These parts are Blessing and a paradox.

Why do you think Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox?

I think Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox to draw the attention of the audience when explaining His Manifesto.

What is the relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)?

The relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of he Spirit (Galatians 5: 22-23) is that, in both cases Christians are told how to conduct themselves in order to inherit the Kingdom of God.

• 4 months later...

First a situation or condition of heart is said to be blessed, then the reason for the blessedness is given.

Jesus is showing the counter intuitiveness of KIngdom characteristics. Hence they appear as paradox.

The characteristics of heart mentioned in the sermon on the mount are the characteristics of good soil in which the fruit of the spirit can grow.

• 1 year later...

The beatitudes consist of two parts; the condition and the response.  Blessed or happy are the poor in spirit, the humble and the lowly heart of the poor and their total dependence upon God.   These are the people who are spiritually rich.  Theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.  These are the one who possess the traits of Jesus himself.  I feel Jesus spoke in parable or paradoxes to make the people think  and to contrast their lives.  The Fruit of the Spirit in Galatians is the spontaneous work of the Holy spirit.  These traits Jesus himself possessed and through faith and works we join our lives to his.  This is the Beatitudes!

• 1 year later...

The two parts of Beattitudes are the description of who is blessed (ie. poor in spritit, gentle,etc.) and then the promise for them(ie. they shall be filled, inherit the earth, etc.). Each Beattitude is a paradox to get our attention, and to show how the Kingdom of God is so different from the kingdoms of the world.  Many of the characteristics of the Beattitudes overlap with the fruits of the Spirit.. In other words, the Holy Spirit is strong in the lives of the blessed: peaceful, gentle, etc.