JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Beatitudes and Spiritual Fruit

Q1. (Matthew 5:3-11) Each Beatitude consists of two parts. What are these parts? Why do you think Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox? What is the relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)?

The first part of the beatitudes is what we are experiencing or going through in the name of Christ. The second part gives us the blessing and promise of the inheritance of His kingdom if we continue in a godly walk.

I think the beatitudes are paradoxical because they give us that hope, e.g. where do we go from being poor, mourning, persecuted? We have the joy nand promise of growing in Christ and becoming rich in \his blessings if we perservere. We mature as Chrisitans.

The relationship of the beatitudes and the fruit of the Spirit is a co-existant one. They each grow in us and cause us to bear fruit that will cause the world to stop and see our growth in Christ. Bearing fruit for Christ is the reason many turn to God because our lives speak for us.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Matthew 5:3-11) Each Beatitude consists of two parts. What are these parts? Why do you think Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox? What is the relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)?

The two parts to which you are referring are 1. Our State of Mind and Heart and 2. God's gift to us.

I believe the paradox is that God wants for us things much greater than we could ever imagine for ourselves because we are concerned with earthly things and God holds much greater riches in store for us. If we believe that we are all powerful and can do everything on our own, then we would not need God. He is showing us that the state of our heart is so much more important than the state of our earthly position or earthly possessions.

This is how I believe that the beatitudes relate to the fruits of the spirit, the fruits come from the heart: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, godliness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control, these are all from the heart. And there is no law against these things, therefore the Law cannot get us into heaven, but the Love of God and Jesus Christ his son can and will give us eternal life.

Q1.

a. The 2 parts of the Beatitudes are: Blessed are they______For they shall. Or, Who will be blessed and how they will be blessed

b. Jesus made the Beatitudes into a paradox to show us the contrast of meek-theirs is the kingdom of heaven; mourn-be comforted; gentle-inherit the earth, etc. Each one spiritually contrast the worldly realms.

c. The relationship between the Beatitudes and the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) is that we find many of the same attributes between the two, i.e.,:

1. poor in spirit, kingdom of heaven to Jesus' kindness in Galatians

2. mourn, comforted to Jesus' love in Galatians

3. gentle, inherit the earth to Jesus' gentleness in Galatians

4. hunger and thirst, be satisfied to Jesus' kindness in Galatians

5. merciful, obtain mercy to Jesus' faithfulness in Galatians

6. pure in heart, shall see God to Jesus' goodness in Galatians

7. peacemakers, called sons of God to Jesus' peace in Galatians

8. those persecuted in sake of righteousness, kingdom of heaven to Jesus' faithfulness in Galatians

9. insulted and persecute and say evil things to Jesus' self control in Galatians

I am extremely late in answering this question, but I still want to.

Each beatitude has a blessing and a promise. Jesus made the beatitudes a paradox because only those who are aware of their spiritual poverty will be seeking more. And those who seek the riches of Christ will possess his kingdom. This is the same theme in those who mourn, are meek, and who hunger and thirst for righteousness. Also it is impossible to achieve these blessings through human effort. This can be achieved only with the help of the Holy Spirit and that is the relationship of the Beatitudes with the Fruit of the Spirit.

;)

I'm new at this, so please be patient with me. I did a little research on my own before I got the lesson. I discovered that when I read Burkitt's commentary on each "Blessed" verse, well-I saw that each one of these "blessed"s" is a result of sanctification. So, If we truly belong to God, then these "blessed's" Will come forth from us in the form of the fruit of the Spirit. The more we hunger and thirst after righteousness, the stronger these fruits will become, and thus, show in us.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, if we show or have all these attributes (fruit of the Spirit), then we will be blessed with the results of having all these attributes. Or, as a result of being hungry for righteousness, you will be filled. I hope this makes sense. ;)

I did a little more research, and I am so stupid-it is so simple! If my heart is right-or, if I truly trust The Lord and am worshiping Him in spirit and truth, then I will be showing the fruit of The Spirit. God knows everything about me, and He knows if I am sincere when I pray. He knows what is in my heart when I give, or when I witness to someone-every aspect of my Christian experience is known to Him. So, if I am sincere, and I am being faithful to trust and obey, then I am blessed. It is not about me. It is all about God. He wants a people who will worship Him in spirit and in truth. So if I am real with God, then I will reap the reward when I enter Heaven! Gloray! That's what I want! A real relationship with my Lord!

The two parts of the parables are the state of being in this case walking in the Spirit of God and His promises for those who do so. How God's wisdom may seem foolish to man, that is His wisdom compared to this worlds wisdom.

The fruit of the spriits are the character traits that which a Christian is endued with once he has been filled with the Holy

Spririt and the Beatitudes are how they are lived out.

• 2 weeks later...

To be or possess a certain character/action from God and the reward for living/being that way. There was always a promise vs action throughout the bible. God is always leading and guiding us. His Word is one of the vehicles for this. The fruit of the Spirit is a list of attributes of God's character. Through love and obedience these attributes are given as gifts so that we have the power to be.

The two parts of each Beatitude are the first one is what kind of people who are blessed, and the second one is the reason why they are blessed.

Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox because he spoke about wisdom through which was sometimes transmitted in his day and people who heard it became curious, and fully understood the differences in it. In this Beatitude he speak about the wisdom of new Kingdom that were very different from the wisdom of world.

The relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) is that, generally, the character traits that should be owned by people of Jesus

• 4 weeks later...

1) I see three parts to each Beatitude in this order: a) The condition of the children of the Kingdom of God which is happy, B) The character of the children of the Kingdom; and c) The reason for both the condition (happy) and the character.

2) The Beatitudes only appear to be paradoxical to the carnal mind that is not yet fully liberated from this world through knowledge of the true King, but it nevertheless pleases the carnal ears of the children of the Kingdom because it is the sound of spiritual life. To the fully obedient, however, the Beatitudes have not paradox but are straight truth and are music to their spiritual ears because it is the sound of carnal death.

3) There is a close relationship between the Fruits of the Spirit and the Characters of the Blessed. The 9 Christian characters illustrated by the 9 beatitudes are the products of the 9 Fruits of the Spirit! To see the parallel, however, you must view the Fruits of the Spirit in reverse order, for "the first shall be last and the last shall be first." What may be seen by those who have eyes to see is a ladder of steps that lead men to "Light," which is Godliness. This is our Christian Journey or "Pilgrim's Progress". This is "Jacobs Ladder". This is the path to salvation. For this reason, we should make every effort to live up to the step(s) we have already attained and strive to possess each succeeding step until we have won the race and arrested Him who arrested us. It is noteworthy as well, I think, that the human gene which has the code for our physical life is also shaped like a ladder. On this point, let him who has ears to hear and a degree in Genetics hear and be assured, once again, that all things were created through Jesus and without Jesus nothing was created that has been created.

Jesus speaks in paradoxes for at least two reasons: 1) It was a common way of speaking in those days, of imparting wisdom, and similar to the style one finds in the Old Testament, i.e. the poetic style of the Psalms. 2) Jesus wanted to contrast the condition of man's heart in the present world with the heart that awaits in the kingdom of heaven.

Each beatitude is the beginning and end of a spiritual journey. The first part of the beatitude shows the nature and character of a person's heart and, more importantly, the actions they are taking to put that heart's nature into action. The second is what Jesus has waiting for us at the end of each journey, be it long or short. It is interesting to me that each "reward" reflects a part of Christ's character. How deeply I want to be like Him!!

Jesus does not leave us alone in the these journeys. As promised, He has sent us the Comforter, the Guide, our personal "Hand Holder", the Holy Spirit. And each of the gifts of the Spirit mentioned in Galatians is the trait we need to complete one of our Beatitude journeys.

The more I study, the more I am convinced that there is very little in the New Testament that is passive; that it is a guidebook for turning the convictions of our mind and soul into the works of the heart. Each of the Beatitudes is a call to action.

As an aside, dare we stop to draw parallels between the Beatitudes and the Ten Commandments?

2 Corinthians 13:14,

Mel

• 2 weeks later...

The beatitude is a blessing and the two parts are the blessing and the conditions or the realisations..

I think the role of the paradox here is to stress the importance of the realisation of what is lacking..for eg:- only if you realize that you are poor in spirit will you seek for it and thereby understand the kingdom of heaven and achieve it..

In a way I believe the beatitudes are the applications of the fruits of spirit..the blessings point to the gift of the Holy Spirit which we will achieve on seeking for it and thereby be blessed..

• 4 weeks later...

I have always used the Beatitudes as a guide to life.. Unlike the commandmants, with the thou shalt nots, and firm warnings of the consequences of disobediance, the Beatitudes are a fulfillment of those commandments but in a gentler way.. Instead of dire consequences, the 2nd part tells of the Fruits of the Spirit..of the rewards for following the path set out by Jesus

Hang with me, I am trying here. :D

A. The person that will be blessed, and what gift they will receive for their suffering.

B. When the sermon is delivered in paradox form it makes you break it down. I have read over Matthew 5:1-12 numerous times to gather a greater

understanding. I feel like the first time in my life this is making sense to me.

C. (Galatians 5:22-23) 9 Fruit of the Spirit which "taken together is a moral portrait of Christ" the same 9 qualities in the Beautitudes that we should have to

enter the kingdom We should be Christ-like.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - I have read through the posts listed and really like how tom.nabor put it. I concur with his summary. I was disappointed that the postings were not as recent as I thought they would be - or perhaps I'm in the wrong place ?

Jesus wanted to teach the people of the day and all the days to follow that we are not going to achieve true spiritual rewards by doing life how the world does it, all individual opera singers singing Me, Me, Me, Me !

I also think the connection to the fruits of the spirit (other than what tom.nabor wrote) is that they blessings will not be achieved by our own strength but rather than from us laying down our will for that of the Fathers through Christ and the Holy Spirit. The fact that they are paradoxes is to get our minds out of the equation via the non-sensical paradox and allowing it to speak to our spirit man which is how we are connected to Christ. I dont really know the answers to the questions but these are some thoughts.

• 2 months later...

The two parts are who can be blessed and what the blessing is. Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox or contradiction, because he wanted to show how much the Kingdom of heaven is not like the kingdoms of the world. Only those who are lacking will seek to be filled, the holy spirit then will fill us and produce the fruits of the spirit. He who is not lacking, is not searching to be filled, won't be filled with the holy spirit and can not produce fruits of the spirit. Many people in the world do good things, but only the spirit of God can produce the fruit of God.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a new comer and happy to be part of the house. Ralph's teaching on the Sermon on the mount is refreshing and sparked up my spiritual antenal.

The two parts of the Beatitudes are what you have do in this physical realm and the corresponding reward in the spiritual realm.

Our Lord Jesus Christ is emphasising we are not of this world, so we must learn and understand the Principles of abiding with him (kingdom of God).

I think Jesus made a clear and straight forward statement here about the kingdom life, though seemed paradoxical to get audience attention.

The 'part a' of the Beatitudes and the fruits of the Spirit are the outward signs of Christ (kingdom of God) in dwelling us.

I'm a new comer and happy to be part of the house. Ralph's teaching on the Sermon on the mount is refreshing and sparked up my spiritual antenal.

The two parts of the Beatitudes are what you have to do in this physical realm and the corresponding reward in the spiritual realm.

Our Lord Jesus Christ is emphasising we are not of this world, so we must learn and understand the Principles of abiding with him (kingdom of God).

I think Jesus made a clear and straight forward statement here about the kingdom life, though seemed paradoxical to get audience attention.

The 'part a' of the Beatitudes and the fruits of the Spirit are the outward signs of Christ (kingdom of God) in dwelling us.

I think the two parts are the blessings and the character of those who are entitled to the blessings. I think Christ spoke in paradox to help the people understand what he was saying to them, to make a way for His law to come into their hearts. That we can go from death to life through His leve and righteousness. The relationship between the two are to allow the Holy Spirit to direct and influence our lives to destroy the power of sin, the works of the flesh, and to walk in fellowship with God.

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (Matthew 5:3-11)

Each Beatitude consists of two parts. What are these parts?

The Blessings and the Recipients are the two parts of each Beatitude.

Why do you think Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox?

This was the way wisdom was taught in ancient times. We see this in the OT; particularly in the Psalms and Isaiah.

Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. Psalms 1:1 (NIV)

Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. 2 Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit. Psalms 32:1-2 (NIV)

What is the relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)?

The Fruit of the Spirit is produced as Christians live in communion with our Lord. It is not by man

The two parts of the Beatitudes: #1 The characteristic one must possess #2 The blessing that will result from the the characteristic

Jesus made the Beatitudes a paradox to shock the audience as a deliberate inversion of standard values; to arrest attention and provoke fresh thought.

The Fruit of the Spirit and the Beatitudes go hand in hand together, we must possess the Fruits of the Spirit in order to endow the characteristics of the Beatitudes, therefore result in receiving the blessings and experience the Kingdom of Heaven.

• 4 months later...

The 2 parts are the quality one must possess and the blessings as a result of practicing it.

Jesus wanted to show that the ways of His kingdom were contrary to the ways of this world and they may seem like paradoxes, however these are the qualities that determine the ways of a blessed man.

The fruit of the Spirit is what is seen in us when the Spirit is at work in us and that in turn will help us to be what Jesus intends us to become in the Sermon on the mount.

The first part is the situation and the second part is the suggested outcome. The paradox style seems to be a speaking style that enabled better retention and interest. The beatitudes seem to refer to people whether they know it or not while the fruits of the spirit refer to the virtues that develop when a commitment to the spiritual life has been made.

• 3 weeks later...

The two parts of each beatitude are the category of person discussed and the blessings to be conferred upon them in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Mostly, I think it is classic Hebrew parallelism.

They both describe the things that should be characterized by followers of Jesus. When people look at us, these are the things they should see.