JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Beatitudes and Spiritual Fruit

Q1. (Matthew 5:3-11) Each Beatitude consists of two parts. What are these parts? Why do you think Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox? What is the relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)?

Each Beatitude consists of a characteristic and the (promise or reward) for possessing that characteristic. In my opinion the Beatitudes are not paradoxes. To the natural man they will appear to be paradoxes , but to citizens of the Kingdom we understand this mystery because (I Corinthians 2:14) clearly state that these things are spiritually discerned.

What is The relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)? Both of these are evidence of when one is being lead by the Spirit, and not flesh.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Matthew 5:3-11) Each Beatitude consists of two parts. What are these parts? Why do you think Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox? What is the relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)?

Each Beatitude consists of two parts. What are these parts?

1. Those who are blessed

2. Those that are seeking after God and his kimgdom

Why do you think Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox?

He wanted us to to have something to think about. And dig the truths out for ourselves. If we have to study it we will learn more how to apply it to our lives. When we go by what someone else has learned we may miss the one thing he wanted us to grasp from the teaching.

What is the relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)?

Both are to help us to become more like Jesus. :rolleyes:

Q1. (Matthew 5:3-11) Each Beatitude consists of two parts. What are these parts?

The two parts of the Beatitude are: 1) The pronouncement of a blessing and 2) The right attitude one must have for receiving the blessing.

In this world many are concerned with the recognition that comes with the world system of honor, to the extent that they divorce themself from the commands and requirements of godly living. Jesus made it plain, that only those who are aware of their spiritual poverty will be seeking more. These who seek the riches of Christ will possess his kingdom.

What is the relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)?

The relationship of the Beatitudes and the Fruit of the Spirit is that that both speak of the purity of man's heart attitude. When you seek the fruitfulness of the Fruit of the Spirit in your life, then and only then will you possess the right attitude for the blessings of the Beattitudes.

Q 1 The two parts are

1. & 2 : OF being Blessed and being A Blessing . He wants our love and our faith

This is obviously a paradox, but that is the way much of life is. The only way to goodness is through confession of badness. The only way to knowledge is through admission of ignorance.

In Galatians 5:22-23 the Apostle Paul makes a list of the virtues or

Q 1 The two parts are

1.& 2 : OF being Blessed and being A Blessing . He wants our love and our faith

This is obviously a paradox, but that is the way much of life is. The only way to goodness is through confession of badness. The only way to knowledge is through admission of ignorance.

In Galatians 5:22-23 the Apostle Paul makes a list of the virtues or “fruit” that the Holy Spirit produces in our lives when we walk in an intimate relationship with Him. He writes: “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering (patience), gentleness, goodness, faith, “Meekness,

Pax

Karl

Each beatitude consists of two parts.What are these parts?Why do you think Jesus made each beatitude a paradox?What is the relationship of the beautitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit?

like Blessed are the poor in spirit for they shall inherit the Kingdom,it shows what a religious leader would do and then what we spirtual christians would do for the Kingdom of the Lord.He wants us to be faithful to Him adn to be able to understand the things that christians go through to enter with God in the kingdom.THe reason Jesus made a beautitude into a paradox was to speak in riddles to those who were in the mount to make a mockery out of him.Th relationship of the beatitudes to the Fruits of the Spirit is to show that God has given us these qualities and it is a part of who we are in His vine

The first part is "Blessed are ....."attitude"" and then followed by the benefit of being that attitude eg Blessed are those who mourn (attitude), for they shall be conforted (reward). Jesus made each Beattitude a paradox to demonstrate that the qualities of the Kingdom of God are quite different to what the world expects.

The Fruits of the Spirit are actually attitudes that come as a result of the presence of the Spirit in our lives.

one part is blessed. each beatitude begins with the word blessed, and a declaration of blessedness. Because the beatitudes were the meek, and the and peacemakers that loved and followed Jesus.The relationship of the beatitudes and the Fruit of the Spirit, is the strong beliefs and dedacation of the 2 .

Present state and the future.Those who are led by the spirit will understand but those who are not and think is by their own effort will not understand.

The relationship is that the blessing and the fruit are all from the indwelling Spirit.No blessing and no fruit without the Holly Spirit.

The first part is the blessings/praises and second part is the heavenly rewards Christian have to look forward to when we follow Jesus and do the work. Jesus made the Beatitudes paradox so the disciples would understand the difference between the world and spiritual things. The relationship between the Beatitudes and the Fruit of the Spirit is that the Beatitudes are what to expect for non believers and what happens to Christians who do the work of Jesus and the Fruit of the Sprits tells Christians that we've already been blessed and posses these fruits which are Beatitudes rewords when we struggle with God's work.

Sorry I'm slow but this lesson is so powerful and it's working in my life as we speak.

Praise the Lord!!!

In Christ

Theresa K.

Just from reading all responses I can try to answer question 1)It tells who is being Blessed and then shows how they will be blessed. Being a semi new christian and hearing how this has been discribed by some of you, it just touches my heart and makes me hunger for more. I have studied the fruits of the spirits and this breaks them down and discribes what happens when you follow Gods word.

A. The first part of the Beatitude would be the state or being of the believer and the second part would be the blessing that would come from being in that position.

B. I believe the reason Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox was to grab the attention of the Jews, to show them that they were not in right standing with God. Everything to them was a surface obedience to the law. The Sermon on the Mount shows a paradox of blessings. For example, many Jews, as well as others today, consider blessings to be riches, happiness or be well thought of by others. Often, the opposite is true though.

C. The Fruit of the Spirit is actually attributes of the Holy Spirit that He imparts to believers. They produce the characteristics in the Beatitudes that Jesus is talking about and who He is. I notice that there are nine Beatitudes and nine Fruit of the Spirit which complement one another. For the believer if he is poor in spirit, he will be long suffering. If he mourns, faith will come out of that. The meek will have meekness. Those hungering and thirsting for righteousness will have temperance. The merciful will show love. The pure in heart have goodness. The peacemakers have peace. The persecuted for righteousness will have gentleness. Those who are reviled or falsely accused for Christ are to rejoice and be glad therefore having joy. I believe the Beatitudes and the Fruit of the Spirit are the characteristics of Christ that go hand in hand.

The first part is the receiver of the blessing, the second is the blessing. Jesus spoke in paradoxes, or riddles, because that was a method of communication used in those days in which wisdom was transmitted - it makes you think about what is said and how it applies to you.

The relationship between the Beatitudes and the Fruit of the Spirit is stated so well by SherAnna07, I'll simple quote her statement:

"The Fruit of the Spirit is actually attributes of the Holy Spirit that He imparts to believers. They produce the characteristics in the Beatitudes that Jesus is talking about and who He is. I notice that there are nine Beatitudes and nine Fruit of the Spirit which complement one another. For the believer if he is poor in spirit, he will be long suffering. If he mourns, faith will come out of that. The meek will have meekness. Those hungering and thirsting for righteousness will have temperance. The merciful will show love. The pure in heart have goodness. The peacemakers have peace. The persecuted for righteousness will have gentleness. Those who are reviled or falsely accused for Christ are to rejoice and be glad therefore having joy."

Q1. (Matthew 5:3-11) Each Beatitude consists of two parts. What are these parts?

The first part is the Blessing, the second part tells how they will be blessed if they follow Him (the promise).

So we would know what is possible for those who put their trust in Him.

The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self

Q 1a Each Beatitue consists of two parts. What are these parts?

First part tells who is blessed.

Second part tells why they are blessed.

Example: Who is blessed. The poor in spirit.

Why are they blessed. Because theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.

Who is blessed. Those who mourn.

Why are they blessed. Because They will be comforted.

Q 1b Why do you think Jesus made each beatitue a paradox.

Not sure about a paradox. To me it is just a statement of truth.

I read ir as saying: If you mourn you will be comforted.

If you are meek you will inherit the earth.

If you hunger and thirst you will be fillled.

Q 1c What is the relationshio of the Beatitudes to the fruit of the spirit.

When we are the Meek, the Merciful, the Peacemakers, the furit of the Spirit

will be seen in our lives.

"Each Beatitude consists of two parts. What are these parts? Why do you think Jesus made each Beatitude a paradox? What is the relationship of the Beatitudes to the Fruit of the Spirit?"

:) I believe that the first part of each statement talks about who God is wanting to bless (make happy not based on earthly values but based on kingdom values). Actually God is wanting to bless everyone, but we are not able to receive this blessing unless we at least start to adopt right values; hence blessed are those with right values.

:) It follows for me that the second part of each statement indicates part of the reward of being blessed of God.

:) I would say that the sense of paradox comes from thinking based on earthly values, where the value seems to be the opposite of what one would expect to have to adopt to claim the reward; but that of course is the point - the reward is not to be claimed, but is a free gift that God is just ready to give.

:) The fruit of the spirit makes me think in this context of the sacraments - outward signs of an inward grace

pax

The first part of each Beatitude can been seen as a weakness from worldly perspective, as each requires the person to be in some attitude of submission. The second part is from God's perspective, each position puts the person in a place were they able to recognise their dependence on God and God, in love, can impart blessing on them by giving them what they need.

Paradox highlights the difference between our perspective and God's perspective.

The contrast is attractive. We can see where we are at and where God wants to take us.

The fruits are very similar to the rewards of the Beatitudes. The fruits are similarly listed as the available results of a Spirit filled life.

The first part of a beatitude begins with "blessed are" then goes on to name a particular people group. The second part of the beatitude tells why they are "blessed."

Jesus made each beatitude a paradox because He was expounding the character traits of the citizens of His new Kingdom.

I see the two parts of each Beatitude as being the recipient of the blessing and what blessing they will receive. I think Jesus made them a paradox so that they wouldn't become traditional or rote behaviors, he wanted us to be poor in spirit not just go through the motions/act like we are. I think of the relationship between the fruits of the spirit and the beatitudes as different parts of a tree. The fruits are the roots, the beatitudes the trunk, branches and leaves. If the fruit of the spirit takes root in our hearts, it's the beatitudes that will be seen in our lives by those around us.

I appreciate the way the studies define terms, and go back to the root words for understanding. Thorugh a sermon, I recently learned that God's definition of faithfulness was different, more specific and measurable, than mine was.

Each beatitude tells who is blessed and what they are blessed with. I think Jesus used the paradox in each beatitude to get his listener's attention and to show that he was teaching something new - not the same tired religious rhetoric the people had heard all their lives.

The beatitudes show us what kind of people we need to be to have the blessings of the kingdom of God, and Galatians 5:22 shows us what is produced in our lives as a result of our membership in God's kingdom.

I think the two parts are the blessings and the promise. I think that Jesus put them in paradox so we could look at things in the spirtial sense and not the natural. The relationship is that Christ wants us to be like Him in every thing we do.

I believe the beatitudes were the foundational teachings that Jesus was laying for his church. I believe the purpose of the sermon on the mount was Jesus introducing Himself and reintroducing to the people who God was (is) after years of the teachers of the law possibly distorting the truth for their own gain.

The paradox was introduced to show the difference what the teachers of the law were preaching and the truth that Christ was revealing to the people.

I believe the beatitudes were the inspiration that Paul drew from when he wrote many of the things in Galatians including the fruits of the spirits. He took them and expanded upon them even more. When we understand these words from the sermon on the mount, even we can expand from what Paul wrote.

The two parts are the blessings and the promises that God has for His people. I think He made them in a paradox for us to realize that the happiness in His blessings and promises are for everybody that love Him, to help take the discouragement from the weak and poor to help them see that it is for them also. It is designed to invite souls to Christ and to make way for His law into their hearts. It is to let us know what God expects from us and what He expects from us. I think the relationship is to show us the love of Christ and He wants us to walk in the Spirit and be led by the Spirit.

The two parts consist of a condition and a promise.

Christ was changing the ideas of the times. He went against teachings that had been handed down from generation to generation. The "religious teachers" were to "holy" for the common people to even reach therefore many believed God could not or would not reach them. Christ's teachings opened the way for all to reach the Lord.

The fruit of the Spirit and the beatitudes are a mirror image of one another.